Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

New member, new build and new to Tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies

Love the outside space you have, you seem very handy and creative. Please keep updating and who knows maybe one day soon you'll have a tiki oasis.

[ Edited by: MissClaireTiki 2014-03-26 21:42 ]

D
dtel posted on Mon, Jun 2, 2014 10:25 PM

Just an update, bamboo is growing back nicely.

D
dtel posted on Mon, Jun 2, 2014 10:40 PM

Two outdoor ceiling fans were added b4ecause the heat is on it's way.

Also a submersible pump to move some water. Not really wanting a fountain or a waterfall like the garden that this replaced I went a little different.

OK a lot different, the pump moves the water through a 1" pipe up to close to the peak of the roof. The pipe runs the length of the roof with holes drilled every couple of inches. It runs down one side back into the pond. There is a ball valve to slow it down if needed, it comes off pretty heavy and can get really loud.

Thinking it may even help cool off the roof ? Well it's different if nothing else.

In person It looks much heaver than in the pic.

Nothing else planted yet and no tikis yet either. :(

[ Edited by: dtel 2014-06-02 22:43 ]

H

Oh, that's awfully fun! I hope you find the tiki of your dreams. Where I live it's the opposite problem: everyone here knows that tiki is worth something, so the thrift stores are picked over and the antique malls have big price tags. I've gotten most of my better stuff through dumb luck, which is really just persistence. You might find you have luck taking a road trip somewhere, you might just need fresh hunting grounds! Is Craigslist an option where you are?

H

Love your roof fountain. The shrubbery looks good too.

OMG! Officially added roof fountain to my "that's frick'n awesome" list

-Dale

L

Roof fountain is bad ass!

-Longboard

dtel, that is an amazing looking place!

I don't know if you want a nautical look to your tiki bar, but are there any nautical antique shops close to you? If not, it's a good excuse to take a trip to the Gulf Coast. Coastal antique malls would be a good place to look.
The Mississippi coast was a popular place for rum runners from the Caribbean to unload their merchandise during Prohibition.

D
dtel posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2014 9:57 AM

Thanks everyone, I got the idea from two places, one was a yard we landscaped years ago that had a fake lava rock area for the pump room with a rock looking area hanging out to the pool which was a covered patio area. It was the return for the pool pump that had a ledge that fell from the roof back into the pool.

The other was a tiki lounge I read about (maby here) that had a fake roof inside which had rain falling off into the pond with an artificial thunderstorm. I read about it somewhere ?

I have no problem with nautical things just never found anything yet except one tiny porthole looking thing which was way overpriced for how it looked which was nothing special. Every time we go somewhere I am on the lookout along with my wife, especially for tiki, it will happen, probably when I least expect it.

Yes I do look on craigslist but nothing yet, I do have to say there is no shortage of strange people on craiglist.

I did order 3 banana trees which are cold hardy for the garden, they are in pots until they get a little rooted before planting.

[ Edited by: dtel 2014-06-03 10:03 ]

T

dtel, the roof waterfall is fantastic- great effect and an easy way to cool off when it gets too hot (the "head dip"). If you can, would love to see some photos from the inside looking out through the waterfall. Eventually would be cool to get some light shining through the water as it falls.

Keep it up!

J

Awesome water feature. Do you have fish in the pond?

I love the roof waterfall, how many gph is the pump rated and how did you make the delivery side of the falls?

Storm

D
dtel posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2014 10:23 PM

On 2014-06-03 12:31, TikiAno wrote:
dtel, the roof waterfall is fantastic- great effect and an easy way to cool off when it gets too hot (the "head dip"). If you can, would love to see some photos from the inside looking out through the waterfall. Eventually would be cool to get some light shining through the water as it falls.

Keep it up!

I thought about trying to light it, probably need to look at it at night to figure it out. it would be nice if it lit it up but did not shine in your eyes, just the water, good idea.

When I took this it was late in the evening, in person it looks like a lot more water. I only had a couple of pictures because it has rained here for the last week, I set it up in between rains.

I did mulch the garden to keep down the weeds, it is not finished by far.

[ Edited by: dtel 2014-06-03 22:25 ]

D
dtel posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2014 10:30 PM

On 2014-06-03 13:46, jimsflies wrote:
Awesome water feature. Do you have fish in the pond?

No fish yet, probably just a couple of Koi, at one time we bred koi so we like them. We have some at least 2'-3' in the big pond in the back yard it's 1.5 acres and it's where we put the breeding koi when we quit.

Sad, We bred and raised koi and I have no baby's since we quit a few years ago, I have to go buy some and I know they will probably not look so great.

[ Edited by: dtel 2014-06-03 22:31 ]

D
dtel posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2014 10:45 PM

On 2014-06-03 21:05, stormrider wrote:
I love the roof waterfall, how many gph is the pump rated and how did you make the delivery side of the falls?

Storm

Thanks, after looking at pump prices I went with a cheap model from harbor freight, I usually don't deal with them because some of the stuff is junk but I didn't want to spend a lot on this pump, it's not like it will be running a lot of hours or continuously like the waterfall pumps we used in the past.

It's 2600 GPH with a head of 26', but not at that volume.

I just used a short flexible pool hose connected to 1" pvc, I ran the pvc up the back right pole, up the slope of the roof and down the length of the roof about a foot from the peak. For the length where it was to drip I just drilled holes, I guess about 1/8" every couple of inches with a cap on the end of the pipe. I tried it along that bench pumping back into the pond and it seemed like the holes were big enough. I didn't know how much pressure it would loose pumping up to the peak so I left it like that.

I did add a ball valve in the line behind the pole so it can be slowed down to a slow drip off the roof, but I like full speed.

pump from HF

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-horsepower-submersible-dirty-water-pump-with-float-69300.html

[ Edited by: dtel 2014-06-03 22:47 ]

I agree with everyone, that roof line water feature is fabulous. I'm going to be sure Vic sees this as I know he will really appreciate it. Keep up the great work. TIKITIKI

D
dtel posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2014 10:57 PM

I didn't realize it but it has come a long way, I was looking at older pics and seen this.

It was taken 6-19-2013, a little bit short of 1 year ago. I had no idea what it was going to be at the time except a place to sit in the shade with a garden around it.

Then I found TC, it's not tiki yet but one day It will be, but it is a good place to relax.

My wife says where are you going, out to your office, probably because I am usually out there laying in a hammock listening to music. :D

[ Edited by: dtel 2014-06-03 23:29 ]

D
dtel posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2014 11:01 PM

On 2014-06-03 22:49, VampiressRN wrote:
I agree with everyone, that roof line water feature is fabulous. I'm going to be sure Vic sees this as I know he will really appreciate it. Keep up the great work. TIKITIKI

Thank You

I have to ask are you a nurse ? I only ask because I have a lot of respect for nurses, our daughter is a RN and I know it's a very tough job.

J

Do you have any tips for making the pvc bamboo? I'm working on some right now and it seems to take forever! I've got 40 feet done and waiting for the shellac, but still have about 80 feet to go. :(

D
dtel posted on Wed, Jun 4, 2014 11:02 AM

I read about it here on TC but did it a little different.

I didn't like the idea of using a razor knife to make the joints so I did it on a table saw. I set the blade where it just made a tiny cut probably only 1/3 through the thickness of the pipe at most. It mad it a little faster.

I burned the joints with the torch as everyone else did but also burned a little in between joints to add more marks to try to make it look more real. If you look back at the pic's the bar it has these marks but the stand for the sink does not, I wanted it a little different, the bar is 2" the sink is 1 1/2".

After burning I sanded the whole pipe with #60 sand paper which roughed up the whole thing and made the joints look like that. I just then wiped off the powder from sanding with a damp rag and let it dry a little. Like everyone I used amber shellac, one coat and another after that dried, 2 coats got about the color I wanted.

Both the bar and the sink is pipe cut in half on the table saw. (after burning but before the shellac) Being cut in half it went twice as far and looks fine since you couldn't see the other half anyway.
With the amber shellac just brush it on fast and keep moving it dries really fast and don't go back over it or it will make drag marks, I just left the drips and all, in the end you don't notice any of it and it gives the perfect color. imo

I did use a piece of 2" not cut to hold the metal 3' overhang on the back of the bar and it's plenty strong enough for it and looks better than wood for that. I think one of the pic's shows that behind the bar.

Since then I used a 3/4" piece in two places to run wires in for lights, speakerwires and the ceiling fans, this way the wires are hidden and it looks like bamboo. One it the amber color and another in a different place for the fans is green paint also with the burned joints. I also did short pieces to cover the extension poles holding the fans just for looks.

I don't think there is a faster way to make the bamboo that I know of, the saw helped. if you don't have a table saw just try anything that can make a good scar around the pipe.

Whatever you do, DO NOT breath any fumes when your burning the pipe it's really bad as you will find out!

The sign in the pic was a present from my niece from there trip to St Thomas.

T

Wow, great bar! Somehow, I missed this thread. You're a talented craftsman! The bamboo, the fountain, the bar and stools; all of it just blows me away. I love the way you are trying to steer into a more "authentic" look as well. Keep up the good work! As you say, it needs some tikis. May I suggest you give carving one a try? You seem to have a very artistic touch. There are a lot of great examples in the carving forum.

Wow, I love that roof waterfall idea. Good stuff!

D
dtel posted on Thu, Jun 19, 2014 12:18 AM

On 2014-06-05 10:13, TheBigT wrote:
As you say, it needs some tikis. May I suggest you give carving one a try? You seem to have a very artistic touch. There are a lot of great examples in the carving forum.

Well thank you, I really want to try carving some tikis I need to find something to try it on, a piece of tree trunk or something, all I have are poles and they are had as nails.

And to be honest I am nervous about trying carving, it doesn't help looking at some of the great looking tikis people here have carved.

D
dtel posted on Tue, Aug 12, 2014 3:50 PM

Just an update; no tikis yet
Really just to show how far a single pack of Morning Glory seeds can go for a total of $1.39.

[ Edited by: dtel 2014-08-12 15:51 ]

Guilty as charged...yes I am an RN (16 years ICU and 17 years Management & Education in Telehealth Nursing). However, my first love is home decor, unfortunately I have no carpentry skills....so just have to drool over everyone else's fabulous builds.

I need a water feature. :drink:

Hey dtel, I see you haven't named your bar yet, what!
you really must remedy that & update your thread title
because this is now a full blown build

You will find with a name, your place will take on a personality
with all the hard work you've done, I thinks it ready.

Looking awesome...just missing one very important element... tiki. Remember this isn't AwesomeBackyardBarCentral.com, its TikiCentral.com. :)

D
dtel posted on Thu, Aug 14, 2014 1:05 PM

Your right no name yet, when the right one comes along I guess ?

Your right no tikis yet, it's a shame really but it will happen, for a temporary name what about, wannabe tiki :)

D
dtel posted on Thu, Aug 14, 2014 1:19 PM

On 2014-08-12 23:17, VampiressRN wrote:
Guilty as charged...yes I am an RN (16 years ICU and 17 years Management & Education in Telehealth Nursing). However, my first love is home decor, unfortunately I have no carpentry skills....so just have to drool over everyone else's fabulous builds.

I need a water feature. :drink:

That's a tough job, our daughter is an RN, she loves her job, she has tried ER, a heart hospital, ICU and a few others. She is now doing Hospice, the only one she refuses to try is working with kids/baby's, I can't blame her for that.

A good Nurse is more important than the doc in many cases.

After your 16 and 17 years doing what you did you could easily do some carpentry, just be careful to keep all the fingers and other parts you will need later. :)

M

just got through reading all 9 pages.
sweet build. so much to love.
the water feature is by far one of the coolest i've seen. look forward to seeing where this goes.

M

On 2014-08-14 16:53, muskrat wrote:
the water feature is by far one of the coolest i've seen. look forward to seeing where this goes.

I feel compelled to second that -- this is one of the best water features I've ever seen.

D
dtel posted on Thu, Aug 14, 2014 7:18 PM

On 2014-08-14 16:53, muskrat wrote:

Well thanks both of you, but if it don't get some kind of tiki the poops going to hit the fan around here. :)

I made a little graphic for you... :)

D
dtel posted on Fri, Aug 15, 2014 12:03 PM

Ha that's funny, but true.

I have tried but not successfully, I need to find something better to try on. I did need a pole behind the bar to hold more hammocks, they seem to be very popular. So instead of just sticking a pole out there I tried carving a design in the pole. The top design is with a router, from there down was done with a chainsaw, should have stuck with the chainsaw it came out better.

Still sucks, try not to laugh (much) I need a big piece of regular wood that's not 20 years old treated and hard as nails, then I can try again.

[ Edited by: dtel 2014-08-15 12:14 ]

The key is, now its a tiki bar.

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies