Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

New member, new build and new to Tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies

D
dtel posted on Sun, Dec 1, 2013 9:02 PM

Your right, it does seem like it's going slow. I guess it just feels like that because it takes just as long to cut and clean the bamboo as it did to put it in the roof.

Before it was cut it looked like this, it's in the back yard so it can grow back without leaving anything bare, it will look different for a while but there are plenty new shoots.

that does look great now that it's complete

-Longboard

D
dtel posted on Mon, Dec 2, 2013 11:36 AM

Well I did have time to work on some barstools on wet days or when I got tired of messing with bamboo.
I did 5 so far and have 3 more to do, they are industrial strength, I hate to remake things because they fall apart. The tops swivel and so far they are just coated with linseed oil, thought a finish like the top of the bar would be a little slippery.

D
dtel posted on Mon, Dec 2, 2013 11:47 AM

The bottom of the pole for the stool is cut into a 4x4 so the feet are strong.

D
dtel posted on Tue, Dec 10, 2013 8:46 PM

Used the advice, Thanks, bundled the rest up and hung it to dry, hope it works OK, I will find out later.

Love the way everything looks, but boy that roof takes it! Awesome work!

On 2013-12-02 11:36, dtel wrote:
Well I did have time to work on some barstools on wet days or when I got tired of messing with bamboo.
I did 5 so far and have 3 more to do, they are industrial strength, I hate to remake things because they fall apart. The tops swivel and so far they are just coated with linseed oil, thought a finish like the top of the bar would be a little slippery.

dtel - love your place. Do you have any progress pictures for the build you did on the stools? Would love to see how they came together. Great work! Mahalo.

D
dtel posted on Wed, Dec 11, 2013 10:25 PM

Thanks
I did not take any pics of those going together.I have these three still to do so I will take some as I put them together.

The poles are about 8" and cut to get the finished height when you add the swivel and seat. That is a 4" square cut into the end of the pole to give plenty room to screw on the legs to be really strong.

These poles were power poles taken down by hurricane Katrina as were the poles for the hut = free, my favorite kind.

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-12-11 22:32 ]

Awesome! You've captured a witco-esque look with them.

D
dtel posted on Tue, Dec 17, 2013 5:34 PM
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.