Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Monsieur-robot bartender

Pages: 1 7 replies

John-O, did the Zombie machine at Acabar look like this?

http://monsieur.co/

From the Los Angeles Times:

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-monsieur-robot-bartender-cocktails-20131002,0,4665690.story

We're at that point in time when certain futuristic items you may have seen in old sci-fi movies are finally being invented. Everyone has a touch-screen phone or computer, cars drive and park themselves, and now, there are robot bartenders.

Meet Monsieur. It's an artificially intelligent robotic bartending machine that can make 300 different cocktails. It even has a memory that remembers your drinking preferences and makes suggestions.

If you're imagining a human-looking robot with steel arms and legs shaking a martini, you'll be a little disappointed. Monsieur is a dark wooden box with a touch screen in front and an opening for your drink. Not exactly a robot from Steven Spielberg's "A.I. Artificial Intelligence," but still pretty cool.

A Kickstarter campaign was launched Tuesday to fund development of the machine. And in a little under 48 hours it has already received more than half of the $100,000 needed to reach its funding goal.

According to the Monsieur website, the robot bartender has 12 unique profiles (you can have themes such as Tiki, Irish pub, etc.), can make 25 cocktails in each profile and can make 150 drinks before needing a refill. When ordering a drink you can move a strength slider to choose "lightweight,""normal" or "boss" for how strong you'd like your cocktail.

Two Monsieur models start at $1,499 and can hold either four or eight 30-ounce containers full of spirits, mixers, juices, liqueurs or wine. They are being marketed to businesses and homeowners.

The robot also comes with a mobile app that allows you to sync it with your phone. Using a home automation system such as Bluetooth or Smart Butler, you can set your personal bartender to whip up a drink while you're watching a sporting event. It can also detect when you come home or if you're with company and will offer you and your guests a drink.

The app can estimate your blood alcohol level to monitor drink consumption and help find a cab. And when you're running low on ingredients, Monsieur will alert you by text or email with a shopping list or arrange for the liquor delivery to be made straight to your home.

Sounds like this robot ensures you're never without a cocktail. Dangerous or brilliant? You be the judge, but we're thinking the later.

Still it is not the "Bartender 3000"

Yes, a simple wooden box and not stainless steel jointed arms. But this would be so much easier to "Tikify". With some matting and bamboo it would blend right in to your bar. After you eliminate the counter and the bottle storage you have space for more people or for a bigger mug collection :D

I like the idea...might need to save my pennies for one of those into he future. Would be very helpful for those of us that are mixer challenged.

HA! "you can have themes such as ...Irish pub..." Whiskey, whiskey, whiskey, and Drambuie!

Find me a tiki drink with four ingredients. Heck, put right ingredients in there and it'll still only be able to make a few drinks.

This is a great idea, but until it's the size of a refrigerator I don't think it's going to be incredibly practical.

On 2013-10-11 13:10, TikiTacky wrote:
This is a great idea, but until it's the size of a refrigerator I don't think it's going to be incredibly practical.

I agree! What about bartenders actually being skilled people who can interact with their people?

Imagine:

Me: 'Mr Robot bartender - I'll have a Three Dots, a QueensPark Swizzle please, a Daiquiri & a Sazerac please'
(eg. a blended drink, a swizzled drink, a strained drink & whatever the Sazerac counts as!)

Robot Bartender: 'Does not compute, does not compute...'.

Me: 'Ok, I'll have a sipping rum please, have you got any brandy snifter type glasses & what rum do you recommend? I quite like ______'

Robot bartender: 'Does not compute, does not compute...'

Me: 'Ok, Ill have a whiskey & coke...'

Robot bartender: 'Whisky & coke being processed...'

Me: 'Wait... bourbon please, not scotch'

Robot bartender: Ping 'Please deposit £8'

Me (walking away, shaking head): 'Does not compute, does not compute...'

:)

[2013: A Bartending Odyssey]
Me: Monsieur, another Zombie, please.
Robot Bartender: I'm sorry, Limbo Lizard. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Me: What's the problem?
Robot Bartender: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Me: What are you talking about, Monsieur?
Robot Bartender: The two Zombie limit is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Me: I don't know what you're talking about, Monsieur.
Robot Bartender: I know that you and Frank were planning to drink three, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Pages: 1 7 replies