Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 194 replies

D

Getting back on track:

Bourbon Special

After the roadblock that was the Boo Loo, it's nice to get back on track. It's also nice to try a tiki drink with a different base spirit. I love bourbon and this drink did not disappoint.

This is very close to and reminiscent of a traditional whiskey sour, but the use of lime instead of lemon adds a new sour profile. I'm not sure if I prefer the lemon-bourbon combination, but it definitely wasn't bad. The falernum and ginger beer add great background notes and help add complexity. Finally, the Elmer T. Lee is one of my favorite bourbons: Spicy, syrupy, warningly sweet, and long-lasting on the palette.

In future, I might even increase the level of Falernum and ginger beer to amplify the ways in which this drink is different from a traditional sour.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh Lime Juice
Simple syrup
Velvet Falernum
Ginger Beer (Kelly's Jamaican)
Elmer T. Lee bourbon
Angostura Bitters

My personal rating: **** (4) out of ***** (5)

D

Western Sour

More bourbon enjoyment:

Western Sour

This is another nice tiki drink that uses bourbon as its base. I enjoyed it and I particularly noticed that this drink blends all the ingredients together nicely. It is so well-blended, that if I didn't know what was in it, I might have a hard time picking out the ingredients. Sometimes that is a negative, but in this case, I think it works.

While I enjoyed the drink, it doesn't make a lasting impression like the "Bourbon Special." In the future, I would probably increase the falernum and try a flavored syrup (cinnamon or fruit).

Ingredients I used:

White Grapefruit Juice
Fresh Lime Juice
Simple syrup
Velvet Falernum
Buffalo Trace Bourbon

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

D

And yet, one more whiskey-based tiki concoction:

Number 11 - The Eastern Sour

Another nice whiskey drink with a few interesting twists as compared to the previously reviewed Bourbon Special, and Western Sour.

I like the orange-lemon combination; it provides a pleasant sour balance. I also like the suggestion of rye whiskey. The other two whiskey cocktails were both bourbon-based. Being able to switch to rye was a gratifying surprise. In this case, I chose Templeton Rye, but in hindsight, I'd probably go spicier in the future - perhaps Rittenhouse. I love Templeton, but I think it takes too much of a backseat in this drink, where already, there's a lot going on between the citrus and syrups. It's probably the perfect whiskey to use for non-whiskey drinkers, but for whiskey-lovers, you'd probably want something stronger.

Once again, why so little orgeat? Why not just double it, and forsake the simple syrup? Yet another alteration to retry at a later (much later) date.

While it is a most agreeable whiskey-based tiki cockail, I would still place it below the Bourbon Special, yet above the Western Sour.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh orange juice (Clementines to be exact)
Fresh lemon juice
Homemade simple syrup (1.5 sugar to 1 water) ratio
1833 Routin Orgeat
Templeton Rye Whiskey

A

Hi Destro100, Im enjoying this thread :)

On 2013-12-19 07:09, Destro100 wrote:

What went wrong?

THE BOO LOO - went wrong!

I have finally had my first disaster. I know this drink should be amazing.

It was not. Where to begin?..

I made a Boo Loo a couple of weeks ago with this thread in mind & am only getting round to posting you a reply:

Our methods & ingredients weren't too different - I used less pineapple (e.g. 4/5 chunks or half a spear / a spear cut up ~ i think thats what they mean by 'chunks') & for the rums I used El Dorado 8 & Appleton 8 (& Lemon Hart 151).

My impressions of the Boo Loo were:

The drink was quite pleasant & the rums played a part but it didn't have a depth or distinctive (aka 'delicious!') edge enough for me. Not for me but it did look great in a big snifter tho, maybe Ill make it to share with someone else.

On 2013-12-19 07:09, Destro100 wrote:
Additionally, adding 1&1/2 oz of club soda doesn't do enough to help the drink either. The drink has nearly 10 oz. of liquid already. In order to carbonate the drink to a noticeable and favorable degree, you need at least 2&1/2 oz. of soda - or more - probably more

Someone will correct me if Im wrong ~ I dont use club soda to add carbonation, more to add a bit of dilution (with the exception of Doctor Funk or something like that). Anyone agree / disagree?

I've probably chalked up another 10 from the Tiki+ app since my earlier post 6 weeks or so ago :)

D

An interesting diversion:

12. The Castaway

As written, I didn't really enjoy the drink - BUT - it was probably my fault. I used Stirrings Espresso Liqueur, which is an all-natural organic product that rocks (it is very affordable as well) - BUT - it is incredibly concentrated and can easily overpower a drink if even a teaspoon too much is used. I used too much. The drink tasted primarily of coffee and not much else.

Alas, I doubled the pineapple, added another 1/4 ounce of gold rum, and a floater of Lemon Hart 151 - and now we're talking. All of a sudden the drink tasted much more like a traditional coffee-infused tiki drink you might find at the Mai Kai. The espresso provided a lovely bitter and complex backdrop to the tropical rum and pineapple juice. As the ice diluted and balanced out the drink, it became increasingly complex and palate-pleasing.

Ingredients I used:

Unsweetened Dole Pineapple Juice
Stirrings Espresso Liqueur
Flor De Cana 4 year Gold Rum

My personal rating: **1/2 (2.5) out of ***** (5)

but with some tinkering (more pineapple, more rum, less coffee liqueur) ***1/2 (3.5) out of *****(5)

D
  1. Banana Daiquiri

Yum:

Drink 13: Banana Daiquiri

First of all, I learned that you cannot make this drink in a Hamilton milkshake maker. It just sirs up the ice without mashing the bananas. I switched to my Ninja with better results. At the same time, I don't love my Ninja for tropical drinks; it tends to make something closer to juice and ice - rather than a slushy and creamy concoction.

Still, the bananas are just dense enough to keep the drink pretty frothy and delicious. While the drink is delightful, it is also lacking in complexity - there aren't any additional interesting flavors you come to expect and rely on in many traditional tiki drink. So, it you're looking for something safe and pleasurable, then this is a good way to go. On the other hand, don't expect to be surprised by a new flavor combination that you've never had.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh Lime Juice
Simple syrup
Flor De Cana - 4 year Gold Rum
Fresh Ripe Banana

My personal rating: ***1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

I think most people I've made Banana Daquiris for are shocked at how good they are, due to the awful fake frozen drinks they've endured in the past. Lately I've taken to "Rum Runner-ize" this drink by adding some Blackberry Brandy, try it!

They're classic for a reason:

Drink 14 - The Outrigger

This is a classic Sidecar with rum in place of brandy. I loved it. I usually don't like sugar-rimmed drinks, but in this case, it really enhanced and balanced the sourness of the lemon very well.

This drink is particularly ideal for guests; especially those that aren't interested in a traditional tiki beverage (shock and bewilderment). It is delicate, complex-tasting, and classic.

I chose the Santa Teresa 1796 aged rum and was quite happy with my selection. It's a great cocktail for showcasing a great aged rum, and the Santa Teresa has a wonderful sweetness and wood flavor that really comes through.

On a side-note - I used Controy instead of Cointreau as my triple-sec (I own both). Controy is the national triple-sec used and originating in Mexico (1930s), as a matter of fact, if you order a Margarita in Mexico, most of the time - it will be made with Controy - not Cointreau. There is also an interesting historical debate on the topic that you can research online if you are so inclined- some people attest that Citronge (by Patron, the current owners of Controy, is actually the same stuff - I'm fairly sure this is not true. I've taste-tested both Controy and Cointreau on their own and in cocktails - and honestly could not tell the difference in a blind tasting most of the time.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh Lemon Juice
Controy Liqueur (not Cointreau)
Santa Teresa 1796 Aged Rum

My personal rating: **** (4) out of ***** (5)

A Beachbum original:

The Coconaut

This is a very classic coconut-flavored beverage that tastes delightful and is fun to share with others.

The ingredient list is deceptively simple, leading me to believe that the drink would be too one-dimensional in the way the Banana Daiquiri turned out to be. But in truth, the final result is adequately complex to make the drink just interesting enough to satisfy even a jaded (which I'm not) tiki-drinker.

I decided to use a combination of Jamaican rums to add an additional layer of flavor: I went with Myers for its rich, dark molasses flavor, and I chose the Appleton Extra for its refined and distinctly Jamaican funk-character.

I shared the drink with my wife, who truly enjoyed it. Appropriately, we drank it while snuggled under covers during the recent snowstorm here in NY, and watched Dr. No, the James Bond movie that primarily takes place in Jamaica. A perfect winter escape.

Ingredients I used:

Lopez Coconut Cream
Fresh lime juice
Myers Dark Jamaican Rum
Appleton Extra - 12 year - Jamaican Rum

My personal rating: *** 1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

New Addition *
SCORECARD:
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch: 4
Aurora Bora Borealis: 4
Outrigger: 4
Bourbon Special: 4
Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs): 4
Beachcomber's Punch: 3.5
Coconaut: 3.5
Castaway: 3.5 (slightly modified)
Banana Daiquiri: 3.5
Eastern Sour: 3
Astro Aku Aku: 3
Western Sour: 3
Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki): 3
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago): 2
Boo Loo: 1.5

A citrus indulgence:

Drink 16: Coronado Luau Special

This is an interesting cocktail to say the least. At first, I was a bit frightened regarding adding 2 whole ounces of lemon juice, but alas, my fears where calmed upon tasting. The 3 ounces of fresh orange juice truly helps balance the flavors appropriately. The orange-lemon combination (along with the Grand Marinier) creates a citrus blast that dominates the drink. It's almost reminiscent of a non-alchoholic citrus punch, as these bright flavors first hit your taste buds.

As the drink develops on the palate, the strength of the rum, and the bite of the cognac helps create another layer of flavor that increases the complexity of the drink.

Few minor criticisms and notes:
*This drink is a little too sweet for my taste. It could be that my oranges were exceedingly sweet, but still, I think the simple syrup may be superfluous or at least needs reduction - maybe 1/2 an ounce instead of a whole ounce.

*Furthermore, I love orgeat, and whenever I see a recipe that calls for a 1/4 ounce of orgeat, I sigh in disappointment. Why not just replace the simple syrup with 1/2 ounce (or even 3/4 ounce) of orgeat entirely? Perhaps, I will experiment next time.

*I noticed that the original recipe from Grog Log called for even more citrus. I'm quite glad that the proportions were retuned. The original does not look quite as appealing.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh orange juice (Clementines to be exact)
Fresh lemon juice
Coruba Dark Rum
El Dorado - 3 Year Light Rum
Grand Marinier
Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac
1833 Routin Orgeat

New Addition *
SCORECARD:
Coronado Luau Special: 3.5

N

this thread is fantastic!

It sure is great. Makes me want to go work magic at my bar every day!

Thanks for the comments.

To be honest, I had begun to wonder if anyone was enjoying, or even reading the last few posts. At this point I'm committed to seeing this arduous adventure to its bitter and delicious end; still, it's always nice to have some feedback, questions, and comments.

Classic style - Unexceptional impact:

Drink 17: Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail

I had mixed feelings about this drink. I wanted to like it the same way I enjoyed the Outrigger, but ultimately the flavor fell flat. The pineapple juice was just not bright enough to shine through. Having said that, I do like the way pineapple and Angostura bitters melded together - they created a lovely pinkish-orange hue and provided a difficult to recognize and unique sour-sweet flavor profile.

Perhaps I should try this with fresh pineapple juice. Almost all of my juices are usually fresh; pineapple (sometimes grapefruit) tends to be the exception.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Dole Pineapple Juice
El Dorado - 3 Year Light Rum
Angostura Bitters

My personal rating: ** 1/2 (2.5) out of ***** (5)

Scorecard:

Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail: 2.5

Q

Keep doing your thing Destro!!

I'm enjoying your journey as well.

Cheers and aloha,

Q

On 2014-01-15 05:45, Destro100 wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

To be honest, I had begun to wonder if anyone was enjoying, or even reading the last few posts. At this point I'm committed to seeing this arduous adventure to its bitter and delicious end; still, it's always nice to have some feedback, questions, and comments.

Destro, remember that TC is a searchable archive. Unlike on social media your work is being saved. I know that I will return to review it many times in the future. Cheers to you and your liver, sir!

On 2014-01-15 07:05, Destro100 wrote:
Ingredients I used:

Interesting note to me on simple syrup. From where I'm at in my mixology endeavors, your simple syrup falls midway between what I think of as simple syrup (1:1) and rock candy syrup (2:1).

And yet another 'Thank You' from me.
Yours is the first post I check when I log on now. Keep up the great work!

Thanks everyone.

Side note - Seriously? Do I need to worry about my liver? I'm averaging about 5-7 drinks a week. I didn't think that was so bad.

That sounds like moderation to me for sure.

I also typically use a 1.5/1 simple syrup, mostly because I prefer cold process to heated and it's really hard to get the last 25% of the sugar to dissolve in a 2:1 if you aren't using heat.

I think that 5 to 7 drinks a week is moderate drinking as well. But liver jokes are kind of uncommon, and that's why I have tossed one in every once in a while. Please don't let me be cause for any alarm, and I will give some thought to being more respectful of that concern in the future. While spleen jokes aren't quite as funny, there may be some benefit to changing it up a bit and rotating through organs. :)

I'm listening carefully for more comments on 1:1, 1.5:1 and 2:1 sugar syrups. I also prefer cold process and never have any trouble with dissolving the sugar because I learned a number of years ago that my blender makes sugar syrup very quickly and very easily. (I ran out of syrup mid-party and had to improvise.) Just blend the hell out of it and you're good to go in a matter of minutes. The air bubbles disappear pretty quickly. So heating is simply not required.

H

Ace Explorer, thanks for the tip on making sugar syrup in the blender, never would have thought about that. Destro, nice thread I visit every time you post and will definitely try some of your favorites when I feel adventurous, haha I have been stuck with Mai Tais for a while now..

I like a good liver joke as well, and I don't think anyone who frequents this forum is going to take offense at giving the old liver a good-natured ribbing. Phil Harris had a great line about not being allowed to die until the government could come up with a safe way to store his liver once he was gone :)

I'll have to try the blendered simple syrup approach. I kind of like the versatility of the "half-rich" 1.5:1 simple syrup though and it usually fills the bill for recipes calling for standard simple or rich simple.

liver-jokes are all good!

I've usually go with the 1.5 syrup to get the best of both worlds (simple vs. rock/rich). I do cook it a bit as I like the slight caramelized flavor the sugar takes on. I've made so many simple syrups in the past, that I'm pretty content to keep this as my go-to syrup for most recipes.

On other occasions, I whip up a brown, demerara, or turbinado syrup for a little variety.

Kaboom - that's the sound of 1 and 1/2 ounces of 151!:

Drink 18. Kapu Kai

Ingredients used:
Fresh lime juice
Homemade simple syrup (1.5 sugar to 1 water)
Lemonhart 151

I have to admit that I was skeptical. It's a 3-ingredient drink with the sole rum being the Lemonhart 151. While it is certainly very strong, it is still rather enjoyable. That being said, do not drink this if you aren't looking for a strong-rum forward tropical drink.

Pleasantly, all three ingredients in this drink attack your palate in separate waves. First, the sweetness of the lime,rum, and syrup, then the sourness of the lime, and finally the lasting strength and smoky heat of the Demerara rum.

Overall I enjoyed this drink, but still, I don't think I would make it again. It is missing some of the more exciting elements I have come to love about tiki - interesting fruit juices, syrups, and combining rums.

Scorecard

Kapu Kai: 3

That's a spicy one:

Drink 19: Jasper's Jamaican

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Berry Hill Pimento Allspice Liqueur
Appleton Reserve

First of all, I was very excited to use the pimento liqueur I picked up during our honeymoon in Jamaica. I picked up two bottles of the stuff, and I really enjoy it. It's a very spicy, warm liqueur with only a touch of sweetness added. the allspice is truly the primary flavor as opposed to many liqueurs that tend to go way overboard with their sugar content. I haven't tried St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram but would love to see how they compare side by side.

That being said, this drink did not really inspire me. Take a look at the ingredients. Half a teaspoon of simple syrup does not sweeten the drink enough, and therefore you have too many bold flavors forcing the drink out-of-balance. The lime, allspice, and rum all seem to be competing for attention. In the future, upping the sweetness might work nicely here - in addition, I think some vanilla syrup could really elevate and complexify (I enjoy making up new words when the old ones won't do) the final result.

Scorecard:

Jasper's Jamaican: 2.5

Quintessential Tiki flavors:

Drink 20: Don's Special Daiquiri

This captures the combination of traditional tiki complexity and the classic refreshment of a daiquiri. If you have guests and would like to serve something in the daiquiri style, but with a tiki flavor, I highly recommend this drink. Upon tasting, the tiki-virgin would immediately understand why we tiki-devotees are so passionate about our tropical concoctions.

I didn't score it higher because it is missing an element that would help separate it from all the other amazing combinations I've been sampling. In a sense, it doesn't have anything new to say, which is not a bad thing, but does limit the drink's memorability.

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Honey mix
Passion fruit syrup (1 part Goya frozen pulp to 3/4 part sugar - I like it a bit tart)
Flor De Cana - Light Rum
Appleton Reserve Gold Rum

Scorecard:

Don's Special Daiquiri: 3.5

[ Edited by: Destro100 2014-01-21 08:24 ]

This is probably my wife's favorite daiquiri-style cocktail. Sub Appleton Extra for the Reserve and lose the white rum in favor of a gold Demerara and it really takes it up a notch. And if you ever feel like straying from your Remixed adventure, try the Atomic Grog Special Reserve Daiquiri tribute. The Mai-Kai cocktail is a direct descendant of the Don's Special Daiquiri.

Hey Sunny,

Thanks for the suggestion. My secret goal, once I complete Remixed, is to move on to Sippin Safari, then Potions of the Caribbean, then the Atomic Grog Mai Kai tributes, and finally Anvil's Top 100 Cocktails to Try Before You Die.

I have a long, long road ahead of me.

Interesting - 2 drinks in one?

Drink 21. Hawaii Kai Treasure

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
White Grapefruit Juice (bottled - didn't have any fresh)
Heavy Cream diluted to light (with addition of milk)
Pierre Ferrand Curacao
1833 Routin Orgeat
Honey mix (homemade)
Flor De Cana 4 year Light Rum

Seriously, 2 ounces of lime juice for one serving? I was skeptical. And then I was pleasantly surprised. I like this drink. I really like it. It's sort of a - two drinks in one - type of experience.

Let me explain. The first thing that hits you is clearly the lime juice and grapefruit. For a brief moment it is very reminiscent of a summer homemade lime-aid. Then everything changes. In a good way. The second drink has a lovely orange-honey-cream flavor that coats the back of your throat and lingers delightfully. If you don't pay attention, you may not notice how well these two different types of drinks coexist in perfect flavorful balance. Not quite yin and yang, as they aren't natural opposing forces, but still, more like a "buy one-get-one free" type of deal at the local tiki market - man, I wish such a thing existed!

Some additional notes - The rum truly takes a backseat here. It does a perfectly adequate job of providing potency, but at the same time, it doesn't stand out at any point. Which leads me to think that this drink would make a good vehicle for experimentation. I can see how the addition of different rums could add some nice complexity to the drink.

I also thought this would be a good point to advocate for:
1 - Pierre Ferrand Curacao. A great spirit with a lot of interesting flavor notes going on. Worth researching
2 - Routin 1833 syrups - I'm really enjoying this brand of syrups. I use them for the few syrups I don't want to make at home: orgeat and grenadine. I find the ingredients and taste to be superior to many other brands I've experimented with. Has anyone else tried their products?

SCORECARD:

Hawaii Kai Treasure: 3.5
Don's Special Daiquiri: 3.5

I love the Mai Kai - I don't love this cocktail:

Drink 22: Derby Daiquiri

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Fresh orange juice
Flor De Cana 4 year - Light Rum

I have to admit that upon reading the ingredients of this cocktail I was not inspired; turns out I was right. The drink is serviceable but unimpressive. The orange dominates the drink, as I expected when I read that it had a full ounce of it. All the other flavors take a back seat. I think I might enjoy this cocktail significantly more if it was a very hot day and I was drinking it out on the porch; sometimes timing is everything.

SCORECARD:

4:
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs)
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki)
Jasper's Jamaican / Derby Daiquiri / Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago)
Boo Loo

Destro, I agree with your comments on the Derby Daiquiri. It was my "house cocktail" one very hot summer four years ago. It was light and refreshing as opposed to being bold and complicated. It is a good summertime drink, and, somewhat unusual about this cocktail, is that most non-tiki bartenders who have a blender behind the bar can make it for you if you give them the recipe. The relative simplicity of the drink, and its effectiveness in refreshing on a hot day, is how I believe it came to be popular at the Florida Derby many decades ago in hot-and-balmy south Florida. Fresh ingredients (including orange and lime juices which are not overly tart) are very helpful in ensuring that this drink is a success. Lousy orange juice alone will torpedo the enjoyment of this drink.

I would rate it low in the winter, or when indoors for a night-time cocktail party when stronger/bolder/more complex is more desirable.
I would rate it high in the summer, or when outdoors and weather leads you to a lighter and more refreshing cocktail to enhance the moment.

It's interesting to note that tiki cocktails can be a bit "seasonal" depending on location, weather, mood, etc.

Once again I applaud you and thank you for your efforts and your willingness to share your results with us!

Have pretty much the same feeling about the Derby Cocktail. It is not one I make too frequently at home and I've only ordered it once at Mai-Kai just to see if I was missing something with my home versions (I wasn't). Mario Licudine may have won international bartender accolades with this one but there are many more of his drinks I like a lot more.

Simply effective:

Drink 23: Red Tide

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Routin 1833 Grenadine
Appleton V/X Jamaican Gold Rum

A Jeff Berry semi-original; apparently very reminiscent of the 1936 Bacardi cocktail. It is the slight modification the Beachbum makes that actually works for me. The use of a golden Jamaican rum brings the flavor profile front-and-center, and the sweet tartness of the grenadine helps to accent the Appleton flavor wonderfully.

This is not a drink aimed at tiki-philes. I can see this drink being ideal for serving outdoors on a sunny day; especially to non-cocktail aficionados. That being said, this summer I will absolutely do that.

Don't let the 3 star vote disuade you. This is a very nice cocktail, and in my rating system 3 stars = good.

Let me break it down:
1 = toxic
1.5 = below average
2 = average
2.5 = above average
3 = good
3.5 very good
4 = excellent
4.5 = near perfect
5 = perfection

SCORECARD:
4:
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs)
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago)
Boo Loo

This was probably the first Tiki drink I attempted to make (from the original Grog Log)...just sub Applejack (pref Laird's Straight Apple Brandy)and youve got the sublime Jack Rose cocktail

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Beachbum Berry last night at the Golden Cadillac in NYC, where he gave a talk about some of the new drinks from his new book, Potions of the Caribbean.

In addition to picking up the new book, a Navy Grog Cone-maker, I also had the privilege of speaking with the expert about my current journey to review all the drinks in the Remixed tome.

Plus a signature. Damn, I guess now I have to keep the book in better condition.

We have a lychee malfunction:

Drink 24: Lychee Nut Daiquiri

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Lychee nut puree (but not really)
Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
Cruzan Aged Light Rum

This was not a very successful cocktail.I live in N.Y. and it's quite difficult to find fresh lychee in the middle of winter. Even though Mr. Berry strongly advises against it, I bought the canned variety, pureed them in my blender and pretended all was right in the world.

Furthermore, I found the proportion of Maraschino called for in the recipe to be too high. It tended to dominate the drink.

The drink isn't terrible; nor is it memorable, delicious, or interesting.

My personal rating: ** (2) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4:
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri
Boo Loo

Seriously?:

Drink 25: Fog Cutter

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Fresh orange juice
1833 Routin Orgeat
Flor De Cana 4 year Light Rum
Pierre Ferrand 1840
Warwick Gin
Pleasant Valley Cream Sherry

As stated by Mr. Berry, this truly is "the Long Island Iced Tea of tiki drinks". Even scarier - I have another four of these to go through; I hope the others offer more in terms of flavor and memorability. (note - I have since sampled the others and am far less alarmed).

The citrus backbone of lemon and orange provides nearly all the depth and sweetness. After the sweetness, all you get is blend of unidentifiable liquor. Nearly any combination of liquor would have created the same effect. I kind of regret using fairly good ingredients in this oddity.

It doesn't actually taste bad; just boring, muddled, and unexceptional. Does any true tiki-fan like this ORIGINAL version of the drink?

My personal rating: ** (2) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4:
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter
Boo Loo

D

Now it's starting to make sense:

Drink 27: Samoan Fog Cutter

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Fresh orange juice
Routin 1833 Orgeat
Courvoisier VS Cognac
Warwick Gin
Pleasant Valley Cream Sherry

Mr. Berry was right! As he usually is. This version of the Fog Cutter is much improved.

I did not use my good brandy (Pierre Ferrand 1840) and opted for the Courvoisier. In addition, I used a pretty inexpensive and unremarkable sherry. Finally, I stuck with Warwick Gin. How can I explain Warwick Gin? It's a product from upstate New York that tries very had to emulate the stereotype of gin that still lingers in our memories from childhood. It's strong-tasting, has juniper and lemon peel intensity, and gives off a fairly strong odor of neutral alcohol. On it's own it doesn't work all that well, but for classic cocktails, it provides a very strong flavor-profile to a drink.

Back to the Samoan Fog Cutter. It's very tart (2 oz. of lemon) and appropriately sweet. Trader Vic kept the citrus ingredients exactly the same as the original Fog Cutter, instead reducing all the other liquor. This brings the drink more into balance. While it is still difficult to differentiate much of the liquor in the initial taste, it definitely seems like less of a joke than the original drink. Upon further tasting research, I can actually see what the gin is doing. It's subtly providing a delictate pine-forest background that gives the drink a nearly unidentifiable complexity while remaining firmly rooted in the tiki-wheelhouse.

For non-cocktail drinkers, the drink may taste too strong and too sour. It may need some modifications to appeal to a more mainstream palate. But then, why not just make a different drink?

I still don't love the drink, but it is definitely an improvement.

SCORECARD:
4:
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter
Boo Loo

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Feb 7, 2014 8:41 AM

You need to be using The Grogalizer. Lots of great advice there.

Yes, making Jasper's Jamaican by the recipe is not great. But I was served the drink by the Bum himself and it was fantastic. Turns out, after experimenting, cut the lime in half. This drink is on constant rotation in the Hideaway. A favorite that everyone loves.

The Derby Daiquiri you will grow to love. Why? because it is light and refreshing as opposed to so many drinks in these books, which may be great, but you either can't drink 2 or 3 of them, or you don't want to. The reason is was so popular in the 60s was because it was accessible. This is all too often lost in drink competitions. Deadhead Rum needs a recipe that is good and can be served in every bar in the country, not something with 10 ingredients and some obscure syrup and bitters. The right drink could sweep the nation and make the right rum a standard like the Dark and Stormy. The Derby Daiquiri fit the bill, and with the promotion of Rums of Puerto Rico, it happened. (See "Mai-Kai: History, Mystery and Adventure" for the full story of the Derby Daiquiri)

When we rate drinks, there is a grade based on the drink, which may be quite high, but then there is the "would I drink another now?" and "would I order it again?" rating. Many good drinks fail those tests, especially the first. The Derby Daiquiri, a take on the classic Daiquiri gets extra points on these points.

BTW, the Grogalizer is working with Jim Hayward and will be adding his Mai-Kai Tribute recipes in the near future.

KD

I NEED a Grogalizer App! A perfect compliment to Tiki+. Then my phone bill would finally be justified

If I have a blanket criticism for the Grog Log its that some recipes are indeed lime-heavy. Be wary when you're asked for more than 3/4 oz for a drink, esp when multiplying upwards

A

On 2014-02-07 08:41, Swanky wrote:
BTW, the Grogalizer is working with Jim Hayward and will be adding his Mai-Kai Tribute recipes in the near future.

Big thumb's up

Aloha to Destro100 and all who follow this thread. I'm way overdue to join the festivities and chime in from time to time. First off, a huge pat on the back to Destro for this endeavor. It reminds me of my never-ending journey through all of the Bum's books.

Wow, this brings back memories. Like they were for many others, Grog Log and Intoxica! were a revelation for me. Finally, I found many of the secrets to making cocktails similar to those amazing concoctions I was enjoying at The Mai-Kai. It kick-started an obsession that, if anything, has only gotten stronger.

I will also echo Swanky's comments: The Grogalier is your friend. It's a great resource and easy way to search and find the Bum's drinks without leafing through all the books (or the app, which is also essential when you're on the go). FYI, I'll be starting a new thread that will detail upcoming updates to The Mai-Kai cocktail guide, which will include adding all the tribute recipes to The Grogalizer in the coming months.

Around 10 years ago, when I first dove head-first into Tiki cocktails, I picked up Grog Log and Intoxica (along with a Trader Vic book) and followed a very similar routine, knocking out as many drinks as I could and studying what made them work. I even rated them on a similar 1-5 scale, which I later adopted to rating The Mai-Kai's drinks. (Later, when I added my ratings to The Grogalizer, I just doubled the numbers.)

But I admire Destro100 for bringing his analysis to another level here on TC, and for taking on Remixed from start to finish pretty much in order (if you pull off four Fog Cutters in a row, god bless you). I'm just wondering if you'll also be tackling the appendixes. The second appendix was the most problematic for me. For instance, should I go to all the trouble to make "sage gomme" to sample that one drink from Trailer Happiness?

The ingredients in Beachbum's first four books were daunting, but still manageable. I would always jump around, sampling those that shared the ingredients I had on hand, stocking up on new stuff along the way. Now, my bar runneth over, but I still keep lists of missing ingredients and the drinks still to be tasted, including the dreaded Remixed appendix II.

The Grogalzier made it competitive. I sought to have the most ratings and comments and to fully stock my bar. At last count, my Grogalizer bar includes 175 of the 185 ingredients (still no Stroh, Sauternes or Van Der Hum Liqueur). Here's my current count of drinks completed and those still to try. (I don't count non-alcoholic drinks and many of the party punches; note that some of the punches can be scaled down to single servings) ...

• Grog Log: 73 down, 4 to go.
  • Intoxica: 67 down, 7 to go.
  • Taboo Table 11 down, 5 to go
  • Sippin' Safari: 66 down, 4 to go
  • Remixed (previously unpublished recipes): 62 down, 30 to go (note: I've eliminated some from appendix II that I know I'll never bother with)
  • Potions of the Caribbean (in progress): 25 down, unknown number to go (still halfway through book, eliminating some of the more obscure drinks as I go; pretty sure I'll never come across guaiac wood shavings or acid phosphate)

What's great about Jeff's books is that for the most part (appendix II and some of Potions excepted), there's just a handful of drinks in each that have hard-to-find or burdensome-to-make ingredients. It's much more efficient to repurpose ingredients in multiple drinks, like most great Tiki bars do.

One other thing I've noticed looking back on all my ratings is that tastes change over the years, especially as I became more aware of the nuances of cocktails. Some of the drinks I initally panned are now much more palatable. I've gotten e-mails from Swanky to the effect of, "Are you sure about your 151 Swizzle rating?" I've since revisited many of them and changed my ratings. In fact, before the arrivial of "Potions," I went through all my low rated drinks in "Sippin' Safari" and found a few that have since grown on me. I'll admit, however, that I'm pretty rigid about sticking to the printed recipes. If I'm going to change it, I'd rather make it an entirely different drink, in the Tiki tradition.

Back to Derek's grand undertaking: I'm enjoying the photos as well as the rundown of the exact brands used in the drinks. This will surely spur me to revisit some of these classics.

Keep up the great work. Okole maluna!

Hurricane Hayward - some very good observations there, sir! I whole-heartedly agree that our tastes do evolve over time, and I totally get your revisions to previous drink ratings. Outside of tiki, I'm exploring whiskies and gins and finding similar revisions are needed as my palate expands and is refined through trying new things.

Cheers to you and the others who inspire us readers to strike out in new directions, or to be more thorough in exploring the full gamut of what's out there in Jeff's books.

Now run out and get yourself that bottle of Stroh's 60 you've been missing out on! :)

Wow. Great feedback from everyone.

Swanky, I love the Grogalizer. It is an amazing resource. I don't refer to it in my reviews because I am trying to review the drinks without being influenced by other opinions. In addition, I'd like to review the recipes as they were written. 

One thing I've learned, is that so much of life is subjective; especially booze! A drink to one person might be terrible to someone else. That same drink might taste completely different at different times of day or accompanied by different foods. That drink may even taste different at different points within our lives. A drink will definitley taste different after drinking six of them. There is no such thing as a "real" score for any drink.

That being said, I'm seeing this endeavor as a personal reference, a spiritous and spiritual journey, an opportunity to develop my writing, and finally, as a chance to further develop my palate. The grades are by no means definitive, nor are they meant to influence someone else's opinion. They capture my impressions of my version of a drink, enjoyed at a specific moment in time.

Before jumping into tiki drinks, I have spent the last few years experimenting with classic and craft cocktails of all types. Tiki is a beautiful and fascinating opportunity to discover a truly unique corner of the imbibing world. At the same time, I am introducing my friends to whiskies, gins, and other spirits from around the world within a monthly spirits club I have started this year.

Mr. Hayward, I love the Atomic Grog. It's an amazing site. I am very excited to begin sampling the recipes. The Mai Kai is my favorite bar in the world, and whenever I get a chance to visit South Florida, I make it a point to be there at least twice. 

If my liver allows, once Remixed is complete, I intend to move onto the Atomic Grog recipes, Sippin Safari, and Anvil's (Houston bar) list of 100 drinks to try before you die.

As far as going in order, I've mostly abandoned that idea, but I am staying pretty close. I am about to prepare the fourth Fog Cutter recipe, but I did try other drinks in between - and found that it was a wise decision to do so. AND I will be trying the recipes from the appendixes - as a matter of fact - those interest me greatly. SAGE GOMME SOUNDS AWESOME. I am excited to work on those drinks as they provide an opportunity  to try some really new and innovative techniques and flavors.

And yes, I picked up the Stroh 80. Rangi and Papa protect me.

[ Edited by: destro100 2014-02-11 05:13 ]

Is it okay to like this?:

Drink 28: Viking Fog Cutter

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Fresh orange juice
Routin 1833 Orgeat
Courvoisier VS Cognac
Warwick Gin
Aalborg Aquavit

Who knew that Aquavit could be the missing ingredient needed to elevate the Fog Cutter template? Strengthened by the gin, the aquavit adds this beautiful savory and earthy spice-note that admirably battles the sweetness of the orange and orgeat. The aquavit didn't really float, but in retrospect, I actually think that its submersion enhanced the drink.

I think I lucked out with great oranges; they added a wonderful tart sweetness. I am once again reminded of how important, often beyond our control, and dynamic fresh ingredients are to drinks.

I'm still not sure how the brandy or orgeat are differentiating themselves from the rest of the drink. For that matter, the uniqueness of the rum is lost as well.

QUESTION - any other tiki-drinks with aquavit (besides Pegleg)? I think it opens new doors.

SCORECARD:
4:
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter
Boo Loo

A co-worker of mine raved about Aquavit, so I bought a bottle. Then I found it was too special-purpose, and Grogalizer came to my rescue with the Viking Fog Cutter. I, too, was pleasantly surprised by this cocktail. So to answer your question is yes, definitely, I think it's ok to like the Viking Fog Cutter.

I've yet to stock Aquavit since, as pointed out, it's only featured in two of the Bum's drinks. But interestingly it's readily available at Disney World in the Norway pavilion at Epcot. You can get it in the restaurant, bakery and beer cart by the shot:
http://www.partythroughtheparks.com/epcot/2010/3/24/norway-beer-cart.html
If you have kids who insist on waiting an hour to meet the "Frozen" characters, it might come in handy.

Destro, I was encouraged to see that your path to this exercise came via craft cocktails. In many areas, those scenes seem to be mutually exclusive. But I think that's slowly changing. I love drinking craft cocktails but don't really enjoy making them. I suppose others feel the same way about tropical drinks. That being said, I do like to occasionally partake in a classic. I'm assuming you've discovered Dr. Cocktail's "Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails"? I think it influenced Jeff in the way he presents some of the classics in "Potions."

You're right on the money regarding ratings being subjective. I've also noticed that even within the same scale, many people grade differently. I, for example, rarely give anything a 5 or a 1, but I tend to give lots of drinks a 3 or 4. In my mind, something really needs to stand out (for better or worse) to rate those numbers.

Your motivation for taking on this challenge is perfect. I'm sure your palate will thank you. And good luck with the drinks in the appendix.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 194 replies