Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 194 replies

On 2014-03-17 13:37, Destro100 wrote:
Drink 49: Kikuya Lapu

Ingredients I used:
Fresh lime juice
Fresh orange juice
White grapefruit juice (bottled 100% pure unsweetened)
Cranberry Juice Cocktail (Oceanspray)
Pineapple juice (Dole unsweetened canned)
Passionfruit syrup (Goya pure pulp-based)
Honey mix (3-1 honey to water)
Coruba Dark Jamaican Rum
151 Bacardi Rum
Pernod
Angostura bitters
Pure almond extract

This simply shouldn't work. Twelve ingredients could not possibly combine to create this harmoniously marvelous concoction. It's a symphony of flavor that blends into one beautiful chorus. At the same time, this might be the most labor-intensive drink I've ever had to create. It was definitely worth it.

The combination of six juices create a unique fruit punch flavor and owes much to the indespensible honey background notes to elevate the drink to another level. I'm not quite sure how the cranberry juice contributes to the overall flavor, but I don't feel very guilty using the Ocean-spray cranberry cocktail juice because at such a small percentage, the effect must be minimal.

I always appreciate the Pernod and Angostura additions to a tiki drink.These additions were made famous by Donn the Beachcomber. They add a lovely bitter complexity with an anise background. In this drink the two flavors remain very subtle but do add to the whole. I'm also not sure how the almond extract contributes as I couldn't identify it in the finished product.

The drink reminds me of a drink from the Mai Kai. Unfortunately, I can't put my finger on which one specifically. Perhaps someone else can help me identify it on their menu.

Great drink, worthy of a high rating. When I see an old-school drink with that many ingredients in one of the Bum's books, I assume it's there for a good reason. And it usually delivers. Wait until you get to the Puka Punch. Very similar but better rums.

With the exception of the cranberry and the almond, those are all ingredients found in quite a few Mai-Kai cocktails in different combinations. It's in the same wheelhouse as the Mutiny, Black Magic and Hukilau, minus the coffee.

Congrats on hitting 50 on a high note. I completely agree with saving a "5" rating for only the best of the best. Assuming it will be one of the Zombies.

D

Sorry about the hiatus - life got in my way for a bit.

Tropical Drink:

Drink 51: Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian)

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Fresh lemon juice
Fresh orange juice
Dole Pineapple (cans - unsweetened)
Pierre Ferrand Orange Curacao
Routin 1883 Orgeat
El Dorado 12 year Demerara Rum
Simple syrup (1.5-1 sugar to water ratio)
Coruba Dark Jamaican Rum
Flor De Cana 4 year white rum

I can see how this recipe was based upon the original Mai Tai. I can also see how it helped foster the de-evolution of the classic recipe into the monstrous versions many places today refer to as a Mai Tai. These bastardizations miss a key element of the original's success. The original Mai Tai manages to find balance within elegant simplicity; it also tastes complex and yet at the same time distinctive. You know when you're drinking a real Mai Tai.

This drink attempts to increase the complexity of the original but never finds a distinctive, or even interesting voice.

This drink was serviceable but it fails to impress in any significant way. The drink is out of balance. There is a whole lot of citrus flavor coming from the lime, lemon, orange, pineapple, and curaçao. The citrus combination borders on being too sour. At the same time there is too much sweetness from the curaçao, orgeat, juices, and simple syrup. Finally, the combination of rums gets muddled and the rums lose their distinctive qualities. While the beauty of the rum is lost, a strong flavor of alcohol remains - not in a good way.

Rather than achieving a harmony, this combination leads to a battle between the sour, bitter, sweet, and alcohol with no winners emerging. Not even me.

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

4.5 ALMOST PERFECT - 3 drinks so far
Chief Lapu Lapu / Kikuya Lapu / Mai Tai (Trader Vic)

4 - EXCELLENT - 10 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga / Mai Tai Swizzle

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 13 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz

3 - GOOD - 13 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian)

2.5 - ABOVE AVERAGE - 4 drinks and counting
Jasper's Jamaican / Derby Daiquiri / Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail / Hawaiian Room

2 - AVERAGE - 6 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rum Runner

1.5 - BELOW AVERAGE - 2 drinks and hopefully not too many more
Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

D

Heretically Pleasant:

Drink 52: Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt)

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Fresh orange juice
Dole Pineapple (cans - unsweetened)
Routin 1883 Grenadine
Château Du Juge
Coruba Dark Rum
Plantation 5 year Rum
Lemon Hart 151 Demerara Rum

The Bum says it all when he states that this, "recipe commits every sin in the Mai Tai playbook." Yet, he is also correct when he states, "the result isn't bad."

Maybe there is a bit more to say. This drink has a lovely nutty accent that I haven't tasted before. As best I can tell, it comes from the combination of the Chateau Du Juge (sweet dessert wine) and the grenadine. The flavor accent is closer to Maraschino than an orgeat flavor, but it helps to give the drink its own voice.

At first glance at the recipe, one might think this drink would end up too sweet, but in fact, the ingredients harmonize pretty well. It is sweet, but not overly so, thanks to the very low amounts of pineapple and orange juice. The proportions seem to be carefully thought out and mostly well-balanced.

The combination of rum is great. I like the way the Jamaican and Barbados rum play off each other. The Jamaican brings the high esther funk while the Plantation brings a lovely brown sugar sweetness. - This would be a great time to mention how much I'm enjoying my recent acquisition - Plantation 5 year rum; what an amazing value for such a great tasting rum. This rum was under $20 and could even qualify as a sipper - it's that good. Finally, the Lemon Hart helps raise the strength without overpowering the flavors of the other rums. Once again, a surprisingly well-planned drink.

Finally a word about Sauternes. Basically it is a French sweet wine affected by Botrytis Cinerea, also known as Noble Rot (Wikipedia), resulting in a very sweet dessert wine. All the affordable Sauternes were sold out at my local favorite shop (Astor Wines) and there was no way I was spending over $30 for a bottle I didn't intend to use often. Personally, I'm not a huge sweet wine drinker. Fortunately, the folks at Astor are insanely knowledgable about their products, and they helped guide me to the Chateau Du Juge. It is not an actual Sauternes wine, but it is a dessert wine made from botrytized grapes; it also comes from France. The substitute they assured me would work much the same way in my drink.

That being said, I'm not sure I would make this drink again. It was interesting but perhaps not interesting enough.

My personal rating: ***1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga / Mai Tai Swizzle

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 14 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt)

3 - GOOD - 13 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian)

Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rum Runner

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

D

Apologies for the hiatus. Real life got in my way again. I am most assuredly back on track.

Drink 53: Missionary's Downfall
This kind of looks like a veggie smoothie:
Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Rothman and Winter Peach Liqueur
Honey Mix (1.5-1 honey-water ratio)
Flor De Cana 4 year white rum
Freshly Diced Pineapple
Fresh mint leaves

First, this might be my favorite name for a tiki drink. Unfortunately, the final product falls short of earning such an interesting moniker. 1 and 1/2 ounces of alcohol does not meet the minimum requirements needed to destroy a missionary's lifelong's commitment to god. Any drink claiming to have such life-altering powers must contain least 4 ounces of alcohol and a floater of Lemonhart 151.

This drink was not bad, but I didn't particularly care for it very much. This most likely stems from a combination of my personal taste as well as my execution. I found the drink a little too sweet. The combination of peach, honey, and pineapple sound great in a fruit salad, but in a drink the flavors get a bit muddled and don't come into balance; especially considering the small proportion of alcohol and lime used in the drink. This drink definitely needed more rum; not just because I'm an aspiring alcoholist, but also because a stronger contrast is needed to balance the sweetness of the fruit and the herbal mint flavor. Next time I will also increase the lime to 3/4 of an ounce; as the drink lacked a bit of an acidic punch that could help elevate it.

I found that the sweetness of the peach and honey actually mask the tartness of the pineapple. The pineapple seems to get lost in the drink. I assume using freshly diced pineapple was important for the texture of the drink. It does remind me of the texture of a smoothie. I very much enjoyed the fresh mint flavor and would love to see it in more tiki drinks. I also realize that I should have blended the drink without ice or pineapple first to bring the mint and the liquor and syrups together.

As I continued drinking, it began to grow on me; but never enough to earn a better rating. I will have to try this one again with more rum and lime juice and incorporating a better blending process.

SCORECARD:

Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz

3 - GOOD - 14 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

Keep up the good work Destro!

I don't think I've ever executed a Missionary's Downfall correctly at home. So I've rated it pretty low and don't make them much at all. During the same trip to Hale Pele where I had a Jungle Bird I could get behind, I also was served a great Missionary's Downfall. So I know it's possible.

kevin

A

Welcome back Destro! I had wondered where you were :)

I agree that the Missionary's Downfall is no great shakes for a drinker looking for depth & spice. Yes, they are also a bit of a veggie smoothie!

However, I do think it's a great drink because:

• It plays with the Planters Punch to become an almost unrecognisable mutation (eg 1 sour, 2 sweet, 3 strong, 4 weak, 5 spice to make it nice becomes 0.5 lime, 1 honey mix, 1.5 rum, 4 blended ice, 5 mint, pineapple & brandy).
    I find the Planters Punch & Missionary's Downfall a bit sweet as they are intended, I make them equal amounts sour & sweet (1 shot lime, 1 shot 1:1 honey mix).

• If young couple were heading into a tiki bar for a meal in the 40s, I'm thinking the 'Don Draper esq' guy has a traditional 'guy' drink (whiskey?) & the woman asks for a 'special rum drink' that she'd heard so much about. She receives Missionary's Downfall & it's so different to what she is used to. She says to him 'you've gotta try one of these...'.
    He asks for a drink 'like that but manly' & gets a Navy Grog (a daiquiri mutation). He loosens his tie, they have a good Chinese meal, they plan a return visit with friends... & so on. 'Tiki's popularity rises.

Maybe I'm being romantic :)

I rarely drink em with booze but they are a drink I enjoy make virgin whenever I buy a fresh pineapple & mix up a batch of honey mix :)

[ Edited by: AdOrAdam 2014-05-02 06:10 ]

Drink 54: 151 Swizzle

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Simple Syrup (1.5 - 1 sugar to water ratio)
151 Lemonhart
Angostura Bitters
Pernod

This is my type of drink. I admit that I tend to prefer stronger drinks than most people; especially my wife, who has more of a sweet tooth. Therefore, while I may really enjoy this drink, I would probably never serve this to friends or guests unless they specifically asked for it. It has a very particular flavor profile that others may not appreciate. It probably won't appeal to those looking for a fruity, sweet, or exotic drink.

It is a strong rum drink that tastes like a strong rum drink. With one and a half ounces of 151, you are really drinking closer to 3 ounces of a normal rum. Couple the 151 with the flavors of Angostura and Pernod, and this drink might actually taste even stronger than its alcoholic content would have you believe. That being said, I cannot imagine another rum filling in for the Lemonhart. I did notice that the recipe actually calls for either Lemonhart or El Dorado 151, and this confuses me. I don't have El Dorado 151 but I did notice that it was a translucent white rum when I saw it in the store. I'm not sure how a white rum, regardless of strength, can capture the smoky rich flavor of Lemonhart 151. Any opinions?

The lime juice helps bring the bitters and Pernod together for a sour-bitter backdrop that works well off the smoky bold Demerara flavor that first hits your palette. The simple syrup helps tame the alcoholic assault on the senses, and the cinnamon and nutmeg add another aromatic and delicate flavor element to the drink. Swizzling with the cinnamon stick keeps the drink nicely mixed and adds a hint of cinnamon flavor

This drink is carefully balanced. The proportions and ingredients are to be carefully measured and chosen if the imbiber intends to capture the authentic 151 Swizzle experience. Even the ice is essential. The taste changes and mellows as the ice dilutes and the drink takes on a new level of complexity. This drink is deceptively simple but very tasty and well-thought out. Enjoy and proceed with caution.

My personal rating: **** (4) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

4 - EXCELLENT - 11 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga / Mai Tai Swizzle / 151 Swizzle

Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

Once again, sorry about the delay. I am back with five reviews READY TO GO. I think I will still limit them to one-a-day.

Drink 55: Never Say Die

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Dole Pineapple juice (canned)
Fresh orange juice
Grapefruit Juice (100% pure white - bottled)
Honey Mix (1.25 - 1 honey to water ratio)
Flor De Cana - 4 year white rum
Coruba Dark Jamaican Rum
Plantation 5 year rum
Angostura Bitters

I was pleasantly surprised by this drink. It is both sweet and strong at the same time; yet still very well-balanced. It is also one of those drinks whose taste profile, always makes me immidiately think "tiki." There is a nice combination of fruit, honey, and rums that consistently works well together. That being said, the drink could easily fall short, especially when marred by inferior or inappropriate ingredients.

The rum combination here is interesting. It's carefully balanced between the sweetness of the Barbados rum, the body and funk of the Jamaican rum, and the background and strength of the white rum. While I think I could get a way with subbing the Coruba with other Jamaicans and the Flor De Cana with other whites, I can't imagine replacing the Plantation from Barbados. I bought this rum recently, and considering the price, I was blown away. It is a beautifully constructed rum and brings to mind the sweetness of brown sugar, a layer of vanilla, and just the right amount of heat. All that for under $20. Go out and buy it.

Back to the drink: The combination of lime, pineapple, orange, and grapefruit come together nicely and are well-measured. The fruity sourness does not exceed the alcohol in measurement while the small amount of honey blends particularly well with the Plantation creating a wonderful honey-brown sugar backdrop. I also love the dash of Angostura, and the way it adds a bitter and subtle spice note to the drink.

Some may argue that this drink is over-complicated. I agree, but it is a matter of perspective. I would definitely serve this to guests; but I would not relish making more than four at a time.

Additional thoughts: This is one to savor, as the layers of flavors tend to slowly unveil themselves over the course of the drink. I also think it's quite safe to add additional ice to the finished drink without fear of excessive dilution.

Near the end of the drink, I imagined that soda water would make this drink even better. It did not. I thought the carbonation would bring out more of the nuanced flavor. Unfortunately the added water muddled everything instead. Adding additional crushed ice and allowing it to melt slowly was, by far, the better way to go.

SCORECARD:

Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga / Mai Tai Swizzle / 151 Swizzle

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 14 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Never Say Die

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

Destro100,

Good to have you back in the saddle. I'll try to offer some applause from the back of the room when I can. I know I could use a nudge to keep plowing through "Potions of the Caribbean." I've knocked down 41 with 11 more still TBD (to be drunk). I'm skipping seven in that book, so seeing you tackle "Remixed" in its entirety is encouraging. You've just covered several drinks that The Mai-Kai has elevated even higher, so I'll chime in with a few comments from that perspective (plus some shameless plugs).

I'm not a huge fan of the 151 Swizzle in its raw form. As you point out, it's not for everyone. But somehow Mariano Licudine took this scorchingly strong drink and made it palatable to the masses without reducing the firepower. I've had no complaints when I recommend it to folks, and it's No. 3 on my Mai-Kai Top 10. Before Lemon Hart 151 returned to the bar, they actually used Bacardi 151, and it was not as bad as you would think. But obviously LH makes a huge difference. So does the addition of falernum and grenadine, which makes it much more accessible.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/03/mai-kai-cocktail-review-robust-flavors-and-potency-are-hallmark-of-151-swizzle/

Never Say Die does seem overly complicated for no reason. You're spot-on in choosing those rums, which are coincidentally also among the ones that I recommend. I don't rate it as highly as you do, but then I've had The Mai-Kai's Oh So Deadly. In that version, the drink gets a nice flavor kick from some cinnamon syrup, and the rums include Lemon Hart and The Mai-Kai's signature dark Jamaican, Kohala Bay. Definitely one of the best of the mild drinks on the menu.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/10/22/mai-kai-cocktail-review-a-delicious-and-oh-so-deadly-treat/

Okole maluna!

On 2014-05-16 22:03, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Destro100,

Good to have you back in the saddle. I'll try to offer some applause from the back of the room when I can. I know I could use a nudge to keep plowing through "Potions of the Caribbean." I've knocked down 41 with 11 more still TBD (to be drunk). I'm skipping seven in that book, so seeing you tackle "Remixed" in its entirety is encouraging. You've just covered several drinks that The Mai-Kai has elevated even higher, so I'll chime in with a few comments from that perspective (plus some shameless plugs).

I'm not a huge fan of the 151 Swizzle in its raw form. As you point out, it's not for everyone. But somehow Mariano Licudine took this scorchingly strong drink and made it palatable to the masses without reducing the firepower. I've had no complaints when I recommend it to folks, and it's No. 3 on my Mai-Kai Top 10. Before Lemon Hart 151 returned to the bar, they actually used Bacardi 151, and it was not as bad as you would think. But obviously LH makes a huge difference. So does the addition of falernum and grenadine, which makes it much more accessible.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/03/mai-kai-cocktail-review-robust-flavors-and-potency-are-hallmark-of-151-swizzle/

Never Say Die does seem overly complicated for no reason. You're spot-on in choosing those rums, which are coincidentally also among the ones that I recommend. I don't rate it as highly as you do, but then I've had The Mai-Kai's Oh So Deadly. In that version, the drink gets a nice flavor kick from some cinnamon syrup, and the rums include Lemon Hart and The Mai-Kai's signature dark Jamaican, Kohala Bay. Definitely one of the best of the mild drinks on the menu.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/10/22/mai-kai-cocktail-review-a-delicious-and-oh-so-deadly-treat/

Okole maluna!

Hey Hurricane,

I think I'm heading back to the Mai Kai in July and will definitely try their 151 Swizzle. How could the addition of falernum ever be bad? It sounds like a great upgrade. I may have to sample their Never Say Die as well; I always tend to go for the Black Magic or something else unique to their menu. Obviously, more research is required.

Thanks for the feedback.

Drink 56: Pago Pago

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Fresh orange juice
Grapefruit Juice (100% pure white - bottled)
Honey Mix (1.25 - 1 honey to water ratio)
Appleton 12 Year - Dark Jamaican Rum
Angostura Bitters

Another solid drink that seems to be aimed at my particular palette. As previously mentioned, I tend to enjoy sour and bitter flavors within my drinks. It comes from my appreciation of classic and contemporary craft cocktails beyond the tiki movement. This drink manages to push the limits of the sour element without going overboard; at least not for me.

The lime tends to mask the alcohol and makes the drink an easy sipper. The honey provides a nice layer of sweetness that isn't overly saccharine. In a strange way, the drink reminds me of an orange-flavored Mai Tai. I think this is due to the careful balance of ingredients and the distinctive rum I used for the drink. I tend to save my Appleton 12 for drinks where I know it will be the sole rum, or at least it will be taking center-stage. As usual, the addition of bitters helps add a subtle new dimension to the drink's sour-first profile.

The Pago Pago is meant to be enjoyed at a leisurely pace. I'm picturing myself enjoying this drink on the patio with some asian BBQ.

SCORECARD:

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 15 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Never Say Die / Pago Pago

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

Forgive the unnecessary and vulgar inclusion of my hairy legs
Drink 57: Painkiller

Ingredients I used:

Canned Pineapple juice (100% juice - unsweetened)
Fresh orange juice
Lopez Coconut Cream
Appleton Extra - 12 year Rum
Cinnamon & Nutmeg

This is an iconic drink and like most iconic drinks, it is very unique, yet unremarkable. It's sweet. A little too sweet for me. The drink is balanced by a combination of sweet (pineapple, orange, and coconut) with strong (dark rum). As most drinks require a third element to complete true balance, the missing element being sour/bitter, this drink lacks complexity.

I love the combination of coconut, orange, and pineapple. It reminds me of Orange Julius. Does anyone remember them? They're all gone from New York and only my memories from childhood remain.

The coconut and pineapple combination comes through strongly and matches well against the strength of a dark rum. In retrospect, I should have selected a darker rum so as to be more pronounced in the final drink. I can see a mix of Myers, Black Strap, and Smith & Cross (for strength) might have worked better. In general, I felt the drink could be stronger.

The texture is great. I definitely recommend dry shaking (without ice) the drink first to incorporate the coconut cream prior to shaking with crushed ice. If done successfully, the texture is creamy, rich, frothy, and palate-coating. I also find that if my coconut cream has been in the fridge for too long, I have to briefly warm it up on the stove to soften it.

As the initial taste captures the texture and sweetness of the ingredients, it is in the back and swallow that the alcohol makes itself felt. It's a nice surprise attack to counter the initial dessert-like sweetness of the drink. Ultimately, the drink is a bit too 2-dimensional. It's sweet and alcoholic and what you probably expect. Almost too familiar, and therefore unexceptional. Still iconic

SCORECARD:

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 17 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

It's different.

Drink 59: Strip and go Naked

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Fresh orange juice
Brokers Gin
Svedka Vodka
Vienna Lager (Trader Joe's)
Grenadine by 1883 Routin

I was initially skeptical of this drink. It is the first drink in Remixed to include beer as an ingredient. While it may seem simplistic, I get the feeling that this drink went through a few iterations before arriving at the final recipe.

The lime and beer combination is reminiscent of a few traditional regional combinations. It reminds me of a Corona with lime. It also reminds me of a traditional Shandy (beer and lemonade or carbonated lemon-flavored beverage). It is even reminiscent of a good wheat beer (thinking Franceskaner ) with a lemon slice (sacrilege in some places - but not in my home). The combination provides a unique bitterness as well as a refreshing embrace to the drinker. I went with the Trader Joe's Vienna Lager because it is a solid crisp-tasting lager. It won't blow anyone away, but it serves its purpose adequately.

The orange juice and grenadine help elevate the drink into tiki territory by providing a subtle and tart tropical-fruit flavor to the drink. I appreciate that the drink is not overly sweet.

Interestingly, this is one of the few drinks in Remixed that doesn't include rum. Instead, the combination of gin and vodka strengthen the drink. This is a very strange combination. In essence, gin is flavored vodka. I realize that the statement may be a gross generalization, but for the sake of most cocktails, it's true. Gin is a grain-based spirit distilled as vodka would be, and the only difference would come from the choice of botanicals (usually juniper, lemon peel, coriander, cardamom, etc.) added to the distillation process.

Since the two spirits (gin and vodka) can be quite similar, I think both were used, so that neither flavor would dominate the drink. If 2 ounces of gin were used, the drink would have a strong juniper flavor that could muddle the subtle orange-grenadine sweetness. If two ounces of vodka were used, the drink might really bite you and dominate the swallow. As it is, the combination, only makes itself felt and tasted at the end of the sip and helps booster the drink's strength. I like the fact that the flavor of the spirits is not up-front.

I went with Brokers as it is my go-to London Dry Gin for most cocktails. It is very affordable and works well in most drinks. I chose Svedka as my vodka, as I find it to be a great choice for smoothness at a fair price point. Svedka is also the vodka I tend to use for most of my infusions.

The Strip and Go Naked is a solid drink for a hot day and due to the large amount of liquid, it seems to last a long time. It is also a good choice for those that aren't particularly keen on cocktails and prefer beer. I enjoyed the drink, but not enough to keep it in my rotating repertoire. Fantastic name though.

SCORECARD:

Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller

3 - GOOD - 15 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall / Strip and go Naked.

2 - AVERAGE - 7 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rum Runner / Pieces of Eight

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

A

Good to see you back Destro100 :)

Also, it's good to see Pago Pago Punch getting a spin - I have not made it with Appleton 12 previously, sticking to Coruba which worked well. I thought a more refined rum might have got a bit 'lost' in the fruit juices... obviously i'll have to give it another go!

Hey AdorAdam,

You might be right. The Appleton does get a slight bit lost; but not too much. I might consider bolstering it with a quarter-ounce Smith & Cross.

A cousin brought me a litre bottle of Coruba from Oz (Coruba isn't available in the UK) ~ IMO it is the superior cheap Jamaican rum. I drank most of my bottle of Coruba in Coconauts, Hurricanes, Pago Pago Punches & similar drinks.

I don't think the Pago Pago Punch could considered a delicate sipper, it's more of a 'hey, we've got lots of fruit juices, some honey & some rum, let's go!... Ooh, this tastes goooood' :)

Destro, I agree with you about the Painkiller being unbalanced without the tart component, but it's a great drink when you are in the mood for sweet and strong. At the risk of seeming the corporate shill, I am among those who thinks the drink really only shines with Pusser's as the sole rum used. In the states we're pretty much limited to the 84 proof (not counting the brutally expensive 15 year), but the few times I have been able to get my hands on the 95.5 proof Pusser's and have made the side by side comparison I have found that I actually prefer the 84 proof. In a Navy Grog it's a different story, and Pusser's 95.5 sings in that drink. If you think the Painkiller alcohol level could have been dialed up a bit, go with a Painkiller #3 or even a #4. I think the #2 (with 2 oz. rum) is the right balance with Pusser's.

Re your preference for a lemon wedge with your hefeweizen, I am in agreement. I think it's a goof flavor complement to the banana-clove/phenolics in the hefe flavor profile. Knocks down that gorgeous weissbier head, but I can deal with that compromise. As for the newer tradition of an orange slice with a witbier, I only think that is necessary if you are drinking a crappy excuse for a witbier like Blue Moon.

A

I put 1/2 lime in a Painkiller to balance it a little, I think it's a bit plain without something sour bit with something sour added it's good.

At the moment I make Painkillers with a mix of dark rums bottle ends I combined to 'get rid' of them (the woody demerara rums OVD & Woods being the main parts) - it actually creates a chocolate orange flavour which I really like (& will probably scratch my head trying to recreate).

Anyway, I tried the Pago Pago Punch with Appleton 12 (I'd been meaning to since Destro100s post):

With one shot of rum it is a light drink (not necessarily a bad thing), the fruit juices compete with the refined rum. I added another shot of rum & a little more sweetener, the drink became more rummy against the fruit juices.

All in all it's good with Appleton 12, if it was a hot day you could sink lots of these :)

Sweet and solid.

Drink 60: Polynesian Paralysis

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Fresh orange juice
Dole Pineapple unsweetened juice from the can
Baker's Bourbon
Simple Syrup (1.5 to 1 sugar to water ratio)
Orgeat by 1883 Routin

My wife is a beer drinker. She enjoys cocktails and tiki drinks on occasion but prefers beer. I was quite pleased when she agreed to share the Polynesian Paralysis with me; drinking this alone would have given me quite the sugar rush and quite a buzz.

I didn't have okolehao, so I opted for bourbon. As I compiled the ingredients, I knew that this would be sweet. For that reason I went with Booker's Bourbon. It is a small batch bourbon from Jim Beam that is aged 7 years and bottled at 107 proof. I thought that surely the strength of this bourbon should balance the amount of juices and syrup in the drink. Not really. My wife didn't even realize the drink was made with bourbon. Instead, she assumed there was a light or gold rum being used. The strength was there, but the bourbon flavor took a backseat to the other ingredients.

Fortunately, the flavor combination is nice. The lemon, orange, pineapple combination provides a great citrus-punch flavor. The orgeat helps elevate and add a little complexity to the drink. The nuttiness gets a bit muddled but stills helps to add an additional dimension. As a matter of fact, the inclusion of the orgeat and the use of a top-down milkshake mixer seems pretty essential to the success of this drink. The frothy, creamy texture generated by the top-down mixer, combined with the nuttiness of the orgeat almost fooled my wife into thinking there was coconut in the drink as well.

I question the necessity of the simple syrup. Cutting the simple syrup and raising the alcohol content might have resulted in an additional half-star. This is a nice easy-drinking, good to share, and perfect for sweet-toothes concoction. It lacks some balance and an exotic ingredient or two to help develop a richer flavor.

SCORECARD:

3 - GOOD - 16 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall / Strip and go Naked / Polynesian Paralysis

2 - AVERAGE - 7 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rum Runner / Pieces of Eight

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

On 2014-05-23 05:54, Destro100 wrote:
Ingredients I used:...

...Baker's Bourbon...

...For that reason I went with Booker's Bourbon. It is a small batch bourbon from Jim Beam that is aged 7 years and bottled at 107 proof...

I'm confused: did you use Baker's or Booker's? I'm guessing you meant Baker's because that's 107 proof. Looks like Booker's is also aged 7 years but bottled at 127 proof. I wonder if that would change anything in the drink?

I'm new to Bourbon in tiki drinks but I did try the Western Sour recipe from Remixed lately and found I quite liked it. I may have to try this one next.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant Baker's Bourbon.

I've been lusting after a bottle of Bookers, but it is a bit out of my price range at this time.

Thanks for catching that.

Drink 61: Polynesian Spell

Ingredients I used:

Welch's Grape Juice
Fresh lemon juice
Controy (Triple Sec)
Rothman and Winter - Peach liqueur
Simple Syrup (1.5 to 1 sugar to water ratio)
Broker's Gin

I can't hide it; I was pretty excited to see a junky-grape juice as an ingredient. Without even reading the rest of the ingredients, I pictured a wacky and fun grape-flavored tiki cocktail. Instead, I got a wannabe classic sour.

This drink vexes me. It has a strange combination of ingredients and doesn't really balance well. It's not a true tiki-drink, as it's lacking rum, special syrups, and/or juices. It's not a true classic sour, as it is overly sweet, and incorporates unusual ingredients including the grape juice and the peach liqueur.

The appearance is beautiful. The combination of the grape and peach creates this pinkish-purple hue that I have never seen before. It's almost worth saving for the color alone. It is gorgeous. Then I tasted it. The drink tastes stronger than you would expect considering there is only an ounce and 1/2 of gin. I would definitely not serve this drink to a person that dislikes gin, as the juniper flavor is quite pronounced. The peach, grape, and simple syrup blend together without distinguishing themselves. All you get is sweetness, with minimal fruit on the palate. I only truly tasted the grape on the swallow. It provides an interesting subtle tartness.

Additionally, the instructions suggest straining into a specialty glass. The drink seems far better suited for a cocktail coup. There is very little actual liquid.

I will say that the drink does taste better the more you drink. Yet not enough for me to truly enjoy it.

My personal rating: ** (2) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall / Strip and go Naked / Polynesian Paralysis

2 - AVERAGE - 8 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rum Runner / Pieces of Eight / Polynesian Spell

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

Just different enough

Drink 62: Port Light

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Passion fruit syrup (Goya frozen 100% pulp - based)
1883 Routin Grenadine
Evan Williams Bourbon - Single Barrel

The word that immediately sprang to mind was "delightful." I didn't expect that. The drink seemed a bit ordinary by conventional tiki standards, but upon closer inspection, it is unique enough to distinguish itself. The grenadine-lemon-passion fruit combo is not common at all, and the use of bourbon, as opposed to rum, is also a different take on the traditional tiki template.

Initially, the grenadine, passionfruit, and bourbon created a pleasant peach impression. As the peach faded, the tartness of the lemon, passionfruit, and the grenadine took over the flavor. The strength of the alcohol is pretty-well hidden which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your point of view.

The drink is a bit too sweet, but one of its strengths is how easy it is to modify depending on preference. Prefer less acidity? lower the lemon by a quarter ounce. Prefer less sweetness? Raise the bourbon by quarter to a half an ounce. I will definitely be trying this with more bourbon next time. I found that it could have used a bit more strength.

The drink, as written, is dangerously easy to consume at a lightning-fast pace. It was gone before I knew it. Aside from increasing the bourbon, I think I would double the quantities overall next time. I would like this drink to last more than five minutes.

Unless your guests specifically dislike sweet drinks, this is an ideal drink for creating in batches. It's quite easy to make, and finding a reasonably-priced bourbon shouldn't be all that difficult. I chose to use Evan Williams Single Barrel, as this year's release is fantastic. It is also priced under $25 in certain stores. If you enjoy bourbon, then don't sleep on this year's release. It's easily better than many bourbons at double the price.

I wrestled between giving this a 3.5 or a 4, but I opted for four based solely on the pleasure of finding a new take on a tiki drink.

My personal rating: **** (4) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

4 - EXCELLENT - 12 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga / Mai Tai Swizzle / 151 Swizzle / Port Light

Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rum Runner / Pieces of Eight / Polynesian Spell

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

Definitely not a Mai Tai
Drink 63: Q.B. Cooler

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Fresh orange juice
Honey mix (1.25 parts (honey) to 1 part (water) - ratio)
John D. Taylors Velvet Falernum
Soda Water (sodastream)
Appleton V/X Gold Jamaican Rum
Flor De Cana - 4 year white rum
El Dorado 8 year Demerara Rum
Angostura Bitters
Kelly's Ginger syrup (Jamaican product)

10 ingredients. 10 very different ingredients. The Q.B. Cooler can be quite laborious and expensive. The question is, "Is it worth it?" Mostly. I enjoyed the QB Cooler, but I was not blown away.

The drink attacks the palate in two distinct stages: sweet then strong. The beginning and middle of your first sip is consumed by sweetness; perhaps too much sweetness. Next, the alcohol appears and tends to dominate the end of the swallow.

The sweetness in the beginning is accompanied by a concentrated and complex myriad of flavors. The orange, honey, falernum, and ginger combine to create a unique and unmistakably distinctively syrup-like assault on the senses. I confess, I found the flavors to be a bit muddled. It was almost too interesting and layered if that is possible. The drink kept drawing my attention to its complexity, rather than allowing me to simply enjoy it. I couldn't help but drink it slowly and savor each swallow as the intensity was pronounced throughout. I think the level of sweetness is responsible for this quandary.

I would love to try this with a different falernum, but Velvet is all that I had avialable. I opted to go with Kelly's ginger syrup because it has a really nice gingery bite; and considering the recipe only calls for half a teaspoon, I wanted to make sure I could really taste it.

After the explosion of sweetness, the alcohol and bitters comes on strongly. I used three very solid rums, but found the same problem. The rums also get slightly muddled and don't blend harmoniously. The combination is tasty, but not unique nor distinctive.

I think the addition of a little bit of soda water helps the drink. It brings a nice zing, accompanying the ginger, that permeates throughout the drink. I did have to add a more ice to fill the glass properly and help dilute the drink.

Many have said that this drink was the one that Trader Vic based the original Mai Tai on. I don't see it. Not at all. The Mai Tai is a refreshing rum and lime-focused drink with a subtle nutty-orange sweetness. This is a heavily sweetened drink with a strong alcohol finish. The comparison doesn't make sense to me. To my palate they taste like very different drinks.

Overall, it's a fine drink, but I may have to try someone else's version to see what all the hype is about.

SCORECARD:

Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga / Mai Tai Swizzle / 151 Swizzle / Port Light

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 18 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller / Q.B. Cooler

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

Good review. My home-made Falernum makes much more flavorful drinks than Taylor's. I haven't been convinced, from what I read and experienced in making Falernum, that Taylor's is very good. It's very high on sweetness and very low on flavor. This may be an element which impacted your tasting - weak Falernum doesn't contribute the same background spicy "zing" which our palates so enjoy.

I always thought the QB Cooler is worth making just for the backstories around it.

A

On 2014-05-30 05:29, Destro100 wrote:
Definitely not a Mai Tai... I enjoyed the QB Cooler, but I was not blown away.

Many have said that this drink was the one that Trader Vic based the original Mai Tai on. I don't see it. Not at all.

***1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

Agreed, good review! I made this a few times alongside Dons Mai Tai Swizzle - both are nice but not the same as Trader Vics Mai Tai :)

D

More drinks in old-fashioned glasses please
Drink 64: Shark's Tooth

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Pineapple Juice (Dole canned)
Simple syrup (1.5-1 / sugar to water ratio)
Plantation 5 year rum
Coruba Dark Jamaican rum
Tillen Farms, Maraschino Cherries

This was a solid drink. Interesting, but not too interesting. Tasty, but not too tasty. Unique, but…you get the point.

Rum flavor dominates the drink. There is a good reason for this. Incorporating the Barbados rum into the initial blend, allows the base of the drink to be quite strong, and then by adding the dark Jamaican rum as a shot (almost like a float), you are ensuring that both, the initial taste floating on top is strong, as well as the flavor at the end of the drink. I'm pretty sure that is why the drink suggests NOT using a straw; the shark's tooth is meant to taste boozy all the way through.

I enjoyed the way the pineapple and fake cherry juice come together to provide an interesting fruit combination. Lately, I've been using Tillen Farm cherries; they use natural ingredients and are reasonably priced. I can't see spending over $15 for the Luxardo brand. Especially since I've grown up accustomed to the junky fructose corn syrup cherries that most bars carry.

The combination of rum was very nice. I have to thank heylonine and his superb "5 Minutes of Rum" podcast for introducing me to the Plantation line of rums. They are superb! Upon further research around the internet, I do see that I should have gone with Appleton 12, and perhaps that might have even bumped my score a bit. Live and learn. The drink might also benefit from a spice note or a dash of bitters.

This is a very solid sipper.

SCORECARD:

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 19 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller / Q.B. Cooler / Shark's Tooth

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

D

This Buddha unenthusiastically approves
Drink 65: Happy Buddha

Ingredients I used:

Ceres Guava juice
Rose's Lime Cordial
Controy
Rough Rider Rye Whiskey

This drink surprised me. It's clearly too sweet, but once you get past that, you have the foundation of a really solid drink.

It starts with 4 ounces of guava juice. Clearly way too much juice. I ended up using Ceres and realized the problem immediately. It is a combination of pear and guava juice. It tastes good, but not like pure guava juice. Regardless, in the future, the juice can be dialed down to 2 and a half to 3 ounces.

I then moved onto the Rose's Lime Juice. I went kicking and screaming. I only use fresh lemon and lime in my drinks. Additionally, I had no interest in making my own lime cordial for a one-off drink. Rose's might be useful in certain other popular drinks, but as I'm deep into my Remixed odyssey, I won't have a chance to find out. It tasted just as I thought it would. Tasty and fake. This will sit on my shelf for a very long time. In the future, a combo of fresh lime juice and simple syrup would work just fine.

I opted for Controy, rather than Cointreau, as it is a most worthy Mexican triple-sec substitute. I have yet to meet anyone who can tell the difference in a Margarita. It's a shame that it is only available in Mexico. It's also about half the price. I'm saving the Cointreau for when I run out of Controy.

Finally, I chose Rough Rider Rye Whiskey. Terrible name for an excellent rye. First of all, you need to use a rye in this drink. Don't use a regular bourbon or a whiskey. The added spice notes of a good rye are essential to balancing the sweetness and fruitiness of the guava. A regular bourbon might only add the vanilla and brown sugar notes piling additional notes of sweetness on an already sweet drink. Rye will bring the sharp woodsy flavor and baking spice notes to help balance the drink. I like Rough Rider, as it is made from a 95% rye mash. Be wary, many rye whiskies are closer to 51% rye. It also doesn't hurt that Rough Rider is 90 proof. Considering the sweeteners in this drink, you definitely need to go with a strong spirit base. In the future, I would raise the quantity of Rye to 2 or 2 and a half ounces.

One more note: This drink is begging for a shot of bitters. It needs a bitter component to help bring all the layered flavors together.

Considering all the changes I would make to the drink, it is strange that I want to give the drink 3 1/2 stars. I think I really liked the base combination of rye, lime, and the guava. Those flavors played off each other very nicely. I'm settling on 3 stars until I get to try remixing this concoction.

I would recommend this for guests looking for an exotic and sweet tiki drink. They may find it unique.

SCORECARD:

Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller / Q.B. Cooler / Shark's Tooth

3 - GOOD - 17 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall / Strip and go Naked / Polynesian Paralysis / Happy Buddha

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

D

Drink 66: Shrunken Skull

Ingredients I used:

Fresh Lime Juice
Routin 1883 Grenadine
Flor De Cana 7 year Gold Rum

This drink is simplistic and serviceable. None of the ingredients are very interesting, yet the drink brings a humble pleasure to the palate. The elements of a good drink are well-covered, there is a lot of tart, sour, sweet, and strong flavors being balanced well, but the individual flavors are more familiar than exotic.

I don't believe I've ever had a single-serving drink with this much grenadine. It is essential that a high-quality grenadine is used for this recipe. As all four ingredients in the recipe are incorporated in equal measure, each one must be able to stand alone in terms of quality.

I have advocated for Routin syrups in the past, and I still really like them. They are affordable, flavorful, and use great ingredients. Just take a look at the ingredient list below. Their grenadine has pure cane sugar, pomegranate juice, 10% elderberry juice, and no preservatives. I won't pretend that this is better than making your own, or using the POM method, but I will say, that with all the other juices and syrups us tiki-philes have to focus on, this product does its job admirably. The flavor is sweet, tart, and actually tastes of pomegranate.

Regarding the rums, I went with Flor De Cana 7 and El Dorado 8 for my rums. I think the rums get a little lost in this combination. I mostly tasted the body and strength of the Spanish rum coming forward. The smoky, sugary Demerara rum seemed a bit hidden. This might be a case where I should have chosen the 12-year El Dorado instead of the 8. The 12-year has a beautiful full-bodied flavor that tends to stand out more than it does in the 8.

This drink also uses a lot of lime juice which is necessary to balance the sweetness of the grenadine and they strength of the rum.

In truth, there isn't much to add to this review. The flavor is nice and won't generate complaints, yet at the same time, the drink lacks complexity and inventiveness.

SCORECARD:

3 - GOOD - 18 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall / Strip and go Naked / Polynesian Paralysis / Happy Buddha / Shrunken Skull

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

KD

The Shrunken Skull is probably my fave "easy" to make cocktails. I do however, cut back on the lime juice, as I do in a number of the Bum's recipes.

BTW, this post reminds me of another grenadine-heavy cocktail. the Jack Rose, which is just Applejack, grenadine and lime. I make mine with the Laird's Straight Apple Brandy (100 proof), so you end up with a great strong/sweet combination.

A

I opted for Controy, rather than Cointreau, as it is a most worthy Mexican triple-sec substitute. I have yet to meet anyone who can tell the difference in a Margarita. It's a shame that it is only available in Mexico. It's also about half the price. I'm saving the Cointreau for when I run out of Controy.

Another vote for Controy. I find it works great. I've never done a side by side comparison, but if there's a big taste difference I would be surprised.

D

Fang you very much!
Drink 67: Sidewinder's Fang

Ingredients I used:

Fresh Lime Juice
Fresh Orange juice
Passionfruit syrup (Goya frozen pulp based - ratio of parts: 1.5 pulp to 1 sugar)
Appleton Extra 12 year dark rum
Smith & Cross Rum
Club Soda (soda stream)

This drink wants to be a Chief Lapu Lapu, but it isn't. It is a nice pleasurable drink, that just misses the ascendent qualities necessary to elevate it into the highest tiers of tiki-dom. Who am I kidding? Maybe it's just missing an additional ounce of rum?

To begin with, the drink lacks strength. I added a quarter ounce of Smith & Cross to 3/4 of an ounce of Appleton, and still found the flavor and strength of the rum to be too concealed. This is connected to the 3 ounces of club soda the recipe calls for. On the one hand, the club soda adds body while mellowing the drink's sweetness, yet at the same time, it is directly diluting and muddling the rum.

Let's break it down further in comparison to the transcendent Chief Lapu Lapu:

If you do the math, the Chief has about 10 ounces of liquid. The breakdown is nearly even with 3 ounces of rum, 4 ounces of sweetness, and 3 ounces of sour.

While the Fang has about 9 1/2 ounces of liquid. The breakdown is 2 ounces of rum, 3 ounces of sweetness, 1 and 1/2 ounces of lime, and 3 ounces of club soda. That is entirely too much soda for this amount of rum.

While in the Chief Lapu Lapu the sweetness and sour are balanced by rum, in the Fang, the water is completely out of proportion and dilutes all the other flavors. Additionally, they make me regret using great rum. Mediocre rum would work just as well here as the flavors are significantly dulled.

The large amount of lime does help balance the sweetness of the orange juice and passionfruit. The drink does maintain the classic tiki-profile that is very easy to enjoy. I also like the fact that it is a larger drink and therefore lasts longer (theoretically). You can definitely nurse this drink slowly while enjoying a good movie, sporting event, or reading. It dilutes nicely, and should please the tastebuds of most sweet-tooths.

My personal rating: *** 1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 20 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller / Q.B. Cooler / Shark's Tooth / Sidewinder's Fang

3 - GOOD - 18 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall / Strip and go Naked / Polynesian Paralysis / Happy Buddha / Shrunken Skull

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

As usual, I'll weigh in with my Mai-Kai cocktail comparisons for everyone who knows those versions. The Shrunken Skull is elevated via Lemon Hart 151 rum and some cinnamon syrup, which results in quite a fiery Skull. Worth checking out.

The Sidewinder's Fang, on the other hand, follows the traditional recipe pretty closely. But it gets a supersized treatment with a gigantic 48-ounce snifter glass offering a communal drink for two (or one very thirsty soul).

Okole maluna!

D

Thanks for the feedback. I really enjoy hearing other people's opinions and reactions to my reviews.

I'm coming down to Florida in July and am very excited to return to the Mai Kai and try a few of their versions of the drinks I've reviewed. Or maybe I'll just order more Black Magics like I usually do!

Destro: Of course, I'd recommend you try all the drinks you've reviewed, plus a few more Black Magics. But that could be dangerous. If you'd like to hook up with me or some of the other locals while you're there, just post your trip details or send a message.

Okole maluna!

Another ho-hum classic

Drink 68: Scorpion Bowl

Ingredients I used:

Fresh Lemon Juice
Fresh Orange juice
1883 Routin Orgeat
Flor De Cana 4 year light rum
Courvoisier Brandy V.S.

The Scorpion Bowl is pleasant concoction that is tasty and sweet, at the same time it is simple and uninspired. It's easy to enjoy thanks to the abundance of orange and orgeat. Unfortunately, the use of white rum, even a good one, and a mediocre brandy only helps smooth out the flavor. It doesn't help elevate it.

I knew that the brandy would be mostly undecipherable, so I opted for Courvoisier, and not one of my better bottles of brandy. Additionally, the use of a top-down blender is highly suggested, especially a classic Hamilton (as pictured below). Grab one on Ebay at a great price. At this point, I don't even consider the drinks I made before I picked one up true tiki-drinks.

Back to the Scorpion. Ultimately the drink is very easy to drink, possibly too sweet for some, yet always fun to share. It can easily be shared with up to 4 people. It can also be scaled down to two servings by cutting the ingredients in half. My wife and I did this and shared a tasty bowl a few nights ago.

In conclusion, it is a classic, and like all classics, they rarely live up to the hype.

Final note: A float of 151 could help punch up the drink.

SCORECARD:

Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller / Q.B. Cooler / Shark's Tooth / Sidewinder's Fang

3 - GOOD - 19 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall / Strip and go Naked / Polynesian Paralysis / Happy Buddha / Shrunken Skull / Scorpion Bowl

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

I'm back. I hope. Things got a bit crazy for me.

Interesting...

Drink 69: Singapore Sling (1950s)

Ingredients I used:

Fresh LIme Juice
Luxardo Sangue Morlacco
Benedictine
Pierre Ferrand Ambre Cognac
Broker's London Dry Gin
Soda Water (soda stream)

This is certainly an interesting variation of the Singapore Sling. Usually, I associate the Singapore Sling with a very sweet, cherry-based drink served at chain restaurants and hotel-pool bars. Like the much maligned Mai Tai, it appears that the original template of the drink is something else entirely. This 1950s version of the drink is lightly sweetened, has little cherry flavor, and is quite refreshing.

It's funny, but I think the drink could actually use more cherry flavor. Overall, the drink could use a touch more sweetness. It is refreshing, yet quite bitter which makes it taste less tiki - and more classic-cocktail in style. I found the drink to taste quite strong which is not surprising when you consider that most of the ingredients are alcoholic; very little juice here.

The gin comes forward first, bringing its vegetal and spicy notes right up to the front. The Benedictine’s spicy notes follow, and the brandy and cherry liqueur feature last. As the ice dilutes the flavors tend to marry together well, and the Sling begins to taste more complete and well-rounded. The club soda gets mostly lost; perhaps more would be helpful.

I won't be adding this to my regular list of drinks, but I am left curious at how this version compares to future versions listed in the book..

SCORECARD:

3 - GOOD - 20 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall / Strip and go Naked / Polynesian Paralysis / Happy Buddha / Shrunken Skull / Scorpion Bowl/ Singapore Sling

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

[ Edited by: Destro100 2014-09-29 19:00 ]

Welcome back Destro100! :)

Q

Glad you are back Destro! I have really enjoyed your spiritous journey so far. Thanks for taking the time to post (and experiment) again.

Cheers and aloha!

Fruity and familiar...

Drink 70: Spindrift

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon Juice
Fresh orange juice
Passionfruit syrup (1-1 Goya frozen pulp - sugar)
Simple syrup (1-1 sugar-water)
Vanilla extract
Kohala Bay Dark Jamaican rum
El Dorado 8 demerera rum
Flor de Cana 4 - white rum

I’m desperately trying to find something original and new to say, but much like this drink, it’s all been said before. Don’t get me wrong, this is not a bad drink. It’s a fine drink; very pleasurable and very Tiki. At the same time, if you’ve had a Lapu Lapu or a Sidewinder’s Fang, you basically know what you are in for.

The large amount of lemon and orange juices firmly place this in the citrus punch family of drinks, while the addition of passionfruit further places this drink in that special sifter-large format of tropical tiki style libations. The simple syrup seemed redundant and the vanilla extract was unnoticeable.

The combination of rums was tasty, effective, and very present, yet slightly indistinctive and muddled. Don’t use your “best" stuff - but always use “good” stuff. The alcohol has a nice bite at the end, and it may fool you into thinking it’s not as strong as it actually is. I also noticed that the drink maintained a great level of strength over time regardless of dilution. I never felt the drink weakening - good news for booze-hounds.

The drink is large; very large. With almost 12 ounces of liquid (almost 5 ounces of rum) this drink can easily be shared. Overall this is a very solid drink, but once you’ve had a few dozen fantastic passionfruit drinks, the Spindrift doesn’t find a way to differentiate itself. This is a good drink for guests who you wish to impress with the complexity and deliciousness of a well-made tiki drink. On the other hand, this drink is a lot of effort, and I might as well go with a Chief Lapu Lapu which seems to hit this archetype dead-on.

Side note - The tropical flavors here scream to be paired with asian-style BBQ. Pork specifically. Magical combination.

Second side-note - TRIVIA QUESTION - Anyone know why I paired it with the King?

SCORECARD:

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 21 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller / Q.B. Cooler / Shark's Tooth / Sidewinder's Fang / Spindrift

Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu / Mai Tai (Royal Hawaiian) / Missionary's Downfall / Strip and go Naked / Polynesian Paralysis / Happy Buddha / Shrunken Skull / Scorpion Bowl/ Singapore Sling

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

Welcome back Destro! Your return has inspired me to go back and mix up one of the 29 drinks from Remixed that I had been neglecting. I'm sure you'll run into the Bali Hai's Bali Bali in due time. I'm not sure what scared me away (perhaps it was the rum/gin/cognac combo, in dubious proportions), but it's actually better than it appears.

I'm fairly fond of the Spindrift. It's hard to beat that rum combination. Anything with dark Jamaican and Demerara grabs my attention. I would actually put it on equal footing with the Chief Lapu Lapu.

Nice to see you've returned from Florida with a bottle of Kohala Bay. Try it in the upcoming Test Pilot and Ancient Mariner.

Could the Spindrift's link to the King be related to the fact that the drink was served at the short-lived Taboo Cove at the Venetian in Vegas?

Bingo - Nice job!

A

On 2014-09-30 00:58, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

Could the Spindrift's link to the King be related to the fact that the drink was served at the short-lived Taboo Cove at the Venetian in Vegas?

I assumed it had to do with "Spinout"

D

Simpler is better...

Drink 71: Singapore Sling (1930s -)

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon Juice
Barr Hill Gin
Luxardo Sangue Morlacco
Soda water (Soda stream)

This drink was a marked improvement over the identically named concoction that I previously reviewed. That drink was interesting, but at the same time, it reminded me of a “Long Island Iced Tea” without the sweetness. There are very few instances where two different base spirits (gin and brandy) and 2 very different enhancers (Benedictine and Cherry liqueur) should be brought together. Simply stated - it wasnt terrible, nor did it work for me; this version was better.

It is better in it its simplicity. It follows a very safe and proven cocktail template of strong, sweet, bitter/sour, and weak (water). That is why it works. The ingredients manage to individually shine without constantly battling each other. Additionally, the cherry is not lost but rather, easily identifiable; as it should be. The proportions seemed to be balanced fairly well.

This is one of those drinks where a careful selection of ingredients is nearly essential. I went with Barr Hill Gin for its unique inclusion of honey. It has a subtle floral sweetness but never veers too far from its juniper roots. It’s a great product that is usually slightly above my budget for a gin, but I couldn’t resist picking up the 375 ml. during my last visit to Vermont.

The gin and cherry battle and meet in the middle - there is a nice tart sweetness that begins the taste and a woodsy herbaceous-ness to finish.

I recently ran out of Cheery Herring, and I’m not sure when I’ll have the inclination to replace it. In the meantime, I do love the Luxardo Sangue Morlacco liqueur. It has a deep cherry flavor without being overly sweet. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a liqueur, so it is sweet, but not compared to one of the cheaper brands: Dekyuper, Lloyds, etc.

Overall, this drink is refreshing without being overly interesting. The ingredients could be doubled (or increased by 50%) as I found that there wasn’t enough liquid to make this a true tall-drink. I needed more. That’s a good thing!

Side note - Goes nicely with mixed nuts (I had some cashews and pistachios)

SCORECARD:

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 22 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller / Q.B. Cooler / Shark's Tooth / Sidewinder's Fang / Spindrift / Singapore Sling (1930s)

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

Finding this thread was like discovering a new room in my house. The best part is that so many of my own opinions and doubts about some of these drinks were echoed here. I'm a novice so when I read REMIXED and see that the Bum prefers the Gold Cup to the Beachcomber's Gold I think the problem is with me when I make both and don't love the Gold Cup (the app version has a second teaspoon of Absinthe instead of 1 tsp by the way) and end up in love with the Beachcomber's Gold. You came to the same conclusion on this thread and about others that have been on my mind too. The Painkiller I liked but felt, for a classic, it was a bit underwhelming and I thought the Scorpion was a letdown (bigtime). You seem to have come to the same conclusions. Meanwhile I think nothing has topped the classic Mai Tai which I see I coincidentally happened to make with the same rums you did. All in all this thread is great and made me trust myself a bit more. Keep 'em comin'!

[ Edited by: TrophyHunter 2015-06-04 12:20 ]

[ Edited by: TrophyHunter 2015-06-04 12:21 ]

D

Where were we?

Drink 72: Singapore Sling (1970s -)

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon Juice
Plymouth Gin
Trader Joe’s Pineapple Juice (canned)
Cointreau
Benedictine
Luxardo Sangue Morlacco
Sonoma Syrups grenadine
Angostura Bitters
Soda water (supermarket brand)

I have a bit of a conundrum. I definitely enjoyed this drink more than the 1930s version but alas, I don’t think it merits more than 3 1/2 stars. It’s a very good drink but not an “excellent” one. On the Grogalizer it sits at a 7.9 which seems slightly high in my opinion.

This drink is a tale of two tastes. At first I was hit with a flavorfully sweet cherry taste coming from the Morlacco and grenadine, yet almost immediately the forthrightness of the gin, the sourness of the lemons, the bitterness of the Angostura and the savoriness of the Benedictine all combine to have a stronger impact that lingers longer than the initial sweetness. As a matter of fact, the soda water helps lengthen and develop the tart and bitter sensation long after the initial swallow. I even detected a hint of heat from the combination of ingredients, reminiscent of the spiciness of ginger.

It can be safely said that this is a gin drink and the gin stands up to the other ingredients quite well. It also helps to use a distinctive gin; hence, the Plymouth gin. Plymouth is one of those rare gins that is both smooth and strong. It works wonders in cocktails (especially Martinis) yet doesn’t veer too far away from a traditional Juniper-based classic. At the same time, the drink is complex enough that it may not scare away those poor unfortunate gin-haters. Someone else can let me know how that works out.

While I like the delicate balance achieved here, I also don’t see anything wrong with kicking up the cherry or grenadine a notch to help brighten the deep fruit flavors of the drink. I still haven’t picked up a new bottle of Cherry Herring, but I don’t think I will for a while. The Luxardo Sangue Morlacco serves as a suitable replacement. It seems to have a bit more cherry flavor and a touch less sweetness.

Measuring out the correct amount of ice to bring the drink to the top of a tall glass is important. It makes a difference because as the drink sits, the melting ice helps tease out a bit more sweetness while still maintaining the drink's gin-bite throughout the duration.

The pineapple seems a bit lost and the Cointreau only adds sweetness with the slightest hint of orange. I’m sure they’re essential to the drink, but they are not easily picked out of a line-up.

Side note - I added some fresh berries as a garnish and was pleasantly surprised to find that the aroma contributed a delightful extra dimension to the drink. Worth a try.

SCORECARD:

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 23 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz / Mai Tai (Stuft Shirt) / Never Say Die / Pago Pago / Painkiller / Q.B. Cooler / Shark's Tooth / Sidewinder's Fang / Spindrift / Singapore Sling (1930s) / Singapore Sling (1970s)

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

He's back!!! :tiki:

L

On 2016-07-07 16:58, Tiki Drifter wrote:
He's back!!!

...and has not missed a beat, welcome back!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 194 replies