Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

A Spiritous Journey through Remixed - From the Astro Aku Aku to the Zadaran Storm

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 194 replies

S

I look back at my Grog Log ratings and I no longer like some of those drinks I gave an "A". Too sweet!

But the more people cast their vote, the closer we get to a consensus. I often sort the Grogalizer by my rating and by the average rating to figure out what I want to make. I use the average rating to see what other people like that I have never made.

Check out the ice-cone:

Drink 29: Navy Grog

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
White grapefruit juice (bottled - 100% grapefruit juice)
Soda water (supermarket brand)
Honey Mix (2:1 honey to water)
Flor De Cana 4 year - Light Rum
El Dorado 12 Year Old Rum (Demerara)
Appleton Extra - Jamaican Rum

Nice Drink. Refreshing, adequately complex, and deliciously tart. The combination of rum works together beautifully to create a strong and flavorful base for the drink, while the grapefruit-lime-honey mix creates a harmonious and enduring flavor throughout the swallow.

I don't have too much to add. It's a very nice drink that captures the quintessential grapefruit-honey tiki style of drink perfectly. At the same time, it doesn't necessarily transcend the template either.

My personal rating: ***1/2 (3.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4 - EXCELLENT - 5 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs)

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 10 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog

3 - GOOD - 7 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter

2.5 - ABOVE AVERAGE - 3 drinks and counting
Jasper's Jamaican / Derby Daiquiri / Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail

2 - AVERAGE - 3 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter

1.5 - BELOW AVERAGE - 1 drink and hopefully not too many more
Boo Loo

[ Edited by: Destro100 2014-02-12 07:28 ]

[ Edited by: destro100 2014-02-12 10:17 ]

What did you use for the dark Jamaican?

Wow, you are good! Thanks for noticing the oversight. I used Appleton Extra. It's not very dark, but it often fits the profile.

The entry has been updated.

Just thought maybe you overlooked the dark, & that's why you didn't like the drink more. I loves a well-made Navy Grog more than just about any cocktail. Though admittedly I like the Vic's version better.

I like the Light Puerto Rican/Dark Jamaican/Overproof combo for the Navy Grog (Cruzan/Coruba/151 Lemonhart) in my Navy Grogs, works every time

Drink 30: Von Tiki

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Mount Gay Eclipse Rum
Barenjager
Stroh

First, a few notes regarding ingredients.

I did it. I bought a bottle of Stroh. It smells wondrous. It tastes abysmal. This bottle will last me a long time.

Furthermore, I thought this would be a great opportunity to compare two different honey-based liqueurs: the more-popular Barenjager (from Germany) and the less well-known Krupnik (from Poland).

Barenjager is very sweet and syrupy. The honey takes center-stage. As a matter of fact, I almost-only taste the honey. You do get some alcohol, but it's way in the background and the percentage is 35%. I honestly don't see why I should use this when instead I could just use a rich-honey syrup.

Let me introduce Krupnik. It is not as syrupy. It is a little smoother and the honey is tempered by a combination of gentle spices. There is an aromatic floral-flavor that enhances the honey-base delightfully. It's smoother and it is also stronger at 40%. Unfortunately, I didn't get to use this for the cocktail, but I am interested in trying it next time.

One final note - Krupnik usually runs 5-10 bucks cheaper.

Back to the drink.

I'm not a huge fan of the drink. It is rather one-note. The honey dominates the drink while the Stroh and the Mt. Gay gets lost on the palate. It's not a bad drink - just an unexceptional one. I usually love Mr. Berry's originals, but this one I'm not sure I get.

My personal rating: ** (2) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs)

Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog

3 - GOOD - 7 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter

2 - AVERAGE - 4 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki

Boo Loo

[ Edited by: Destro100 2014-02-13 10:53 ]

All that glitters is gold:

Drink 31: Gold Cup

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Simple Syrup (Homemade =1.5 - 1 ratio)
Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
Appleton Extra 12
Pernod
Pure Almond Extract

Very agreeable drink. In the front you get a lot of sweetness. I'm not completely sure where the sweetness is coming from; it only takes a 1/4 ounce of simple syrup, and even the bum himself raised the quantity of rum to balance out the drink. Maybe it's from the almond extract?

That brings me to my next point - the almond flavor is a bit lost. Instead, you get an intricate balance coming from the combination of Pernod and Maraschino. There is a fantastic bitter almond sensation that is wonderfully unique - and I don't think the almond extract is the cause. While many of the Beachcomber's recipes use Pernod in great ways, I found the combination with the Maraschino in this drink to be very interesting.

I gave it a score of 3 - because while it is "good" the sweetness comes on a little too strong for my taste. Perhaps with a bit more tinkering, I could see elevating this drink to a 3.5

My personal rating: *** (3) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

3 - GOOD - 8 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup

Boo Loo

Not quite peachy enough:

Drink 32: Headhunter

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Papaya Juice (Goya - all I could get)
Peach Nectar (Looza)
Honey mix (1.5 to 1 ratio = honey/water)
El Dorado 12 year
Lemon Hart 151
Flor De Cana - 7 year gold rum

I had high hopes for this drink. I always get excited when I see unusual ingredients listed, and in this case, the addition of papaya and peach sounded intriguing. Yet, after tasting, I come back to the question: Why so little peach (1/2 ounce)? My only guess it that it helps temper a strong papaya flavor that might otherwise overwhelm the drink. Unfortunately, I don't really taste either. The flavors blend together into an unidentifiable fruit punch that evokes a candy-sweet quality to the drink, but not a tropical, nor peachy fruitiness, which would personally be preferred.

I admit. Goya juice products usually disappoint. I may need to try this drink again with fresh papaya juice. I do enjoy the Looza juices and find the peach juice more than adequate. I also question the use of a full ounce of 151. I love 151, but add too much and the distinctiveness of the other rums gets muddled in the mix.

There aren't enough interesting, stand-out high notes to come back to this drink at a later point.

SCORECARD:

3 - GOOD - 9 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter

Boo Loo

Great thread -- keep up the good work Destro100!

I just checked the Grogalizer, and the Headhunter ratings are all over the map, from a 4 to a 10. It leaves some scratching their heads, like Destro100, and the rating evens out to a 7.3. I think this one does benefit from fresher, better ingredients.

Will I ever need to replace my creme de banana?:

Drink 33: Planet of the Apes

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Pineapple Juice (Dole)
Orange Juice (fresh-squeezed)
Bols Creme De Banana
New Foundland Screech Golden Jamaican Rum
Lemon Hart 151

I love banana. Why doesn't this drink taste like banana? I know; because the creme de banana only makes up 20% of the drink. How does that make sense? Coupled with the fact that you are adding a 1/2 ounce of 151, there is no way for the banana flavor to stand out.

I didn't love this drink. It tasted too one-note, the orange and pineapple juices overwhelmed the drink with sweetness, the 151 overpowers the the rum and liqueur, and the name is way too creative. I hope I don't sound overwhelmingly negative; the drink tasted fine but my expectations were too high.

SCORECARD:

Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter

2 - AVERAGE - 5 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes

Boo Loo

Not tiki:

Drink 34: Hawaiian Room

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Pineapple Juice (Dole)
Lairds Applejack (bottled in bond)
Controy Triple sec (not Cointreau)
Flor De Cana - 4 Year - Light Rum

This is an interesting cocktail more akin to a classic craft cocktail, rather than a tiki drink. The alcohol stands out in front, while the lemon and pineapple provide a refreshing citrus background. The applejack brings a bit of heat, and helps make the drink less one-dimensional. I definitely recommend using the 100-proof (bottled in bond) applejack; it works great in cocktails.

All that being said, the cocktail is not all that memorable. There are plenty of other variations of this type of cocktail that need our attention.

My personal rating: ** (2.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

2.5 - ABOVE AVERAGE - 4 drinks and counting
Jasper's Jamaican / Derby Daiquiri / Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail / Hawaiian Room

Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes

Boo Loo

Are my taste buds dying? I kind of like this:

Drink 35: Fogg Cutter

Ingredients I used:

Fresh orange juice
Fresh lime juice
Simple syrup (1.5-1 ratio sugar-water)
Flor De Cana - 4 Year - Light Rum
Coruba Dark Jamaican Rum
Courvoisier VS Cognac
Brokers London Dry Gin
Pure almond extract

I find it interesting that on paper this drink should make no sense: equal parts dark rum, light rum, brandy, and gin. This sounds ludicrous.I would expect someone with no experience making cocktails to try something like this at a Jamaican resort cocktail competition (here's looking at you Sandals - been there, done that - endless shame). Alas, it works. I don't know how, but it works.

I suspect the almond extract is the savior. I think it does what the orgeat tries to do in the other Fog Cutter recipes. In the other recipes, the nuttiness of the orgeat is mostly lost; yet in this version, the strength of the almond extract manages to hit the back of the palate, as well as the swallow, with a great nutty-bitterness. Without it, all you get is a sweet-sour-strong mess of liquor that you find in the original Fog Cutter.

However, the same weakness that you find in all the Fog Cutter recipes can be found here as well. Don't use quality liquor. Your ability to differentiate what you're drinking is hopeless. All you will know for sure is that you are drinking something quite strong and inoffensive.

I opted to switch from the Warwick Gin I've been using in the other Fog Cutters for Brokers London Dry instead. For those that aren't familiar with Brokers, it is a fantastic budget ($17-$20) London dry style that works nicely in most classic cocktails. Highly recommended - Nice juniper and lemon peel flavors that won't overwhelm any drink; instead it compliments flavors nicely.

Final notes - for some reason I kept thinking that adding carbonation to this drink would work well. It would create a unique tiki-soda flavor profile that could enhance the drink. Someday perhaps.

I was torn - is this a 3 or a 3.5? I think I will leave it at a 3 because I can't hold my head up high and use four different base spirits in one drink and be entirely proud of the results. A man must have some standards to live by.

SCORECARD:

3 - GOOD - 10 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter

Boo Loo

How is this so good? Did you read the ingredients?:

Drink 36: Hell in the Pacific

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
1883 Routin Pomegranate Grenadine
Lemon Hart 151

There is no better feeling than being completely surprised by a drink you expected to be boring, one-dimensional, and unpalatable. I love all the ingredients listed, but I had not idea how these would come together. I didn't see that one special ingredient that would elevate and differentiate the flavor. I was completely wrong.

I often complain about how Maraschino has a tendency to overpower a drink if not used properly. Normally, I would be very apprehensive of using 1/2 an ounce of Maraschino; yet here the nuttiness shines beautifully as it is tempered by the roaringly strong, spicy, and beautiful Lemon Hart. Two very powerful flavors do battle and create a sublime new monster that highlights the best elements of both ingredients.

The key is the dilution. If the dilution is not administered properly, this drink could be a complete FAIL. When I first read it, I didn't understand why a pilsner glass was suggested. I dutifully followed the recipe and made sure I used PLENTY of crushed ice. I found that the water was needed to dilute the bold flavors competing for attention. Without all that crushed ice, enough to fill a pilsner glass, the drink might be unbearably strong.

After tasting and arriving at my own conclusions, I logged onto the grogalizer to find out what others were saying. Just as I expected, opinions varied greatly and I suspect that many of the lower scores came from users that did not properly build their drinks.

Final note: I think I may raise the level of grenadine slightly in the future. It's quite subtle in this drink, but the tartness adds another wonderful quality to this drink.

My personal rating: **** (4) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4 - EXCELLENT - 6 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific

3 - GOOD - 10 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter

Boo Loo

Bif fan of Hell in the Pacific here too!

Keep the great reviews coming!

A parade float in honor of rum:

Drink 37: Noa Noa

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Demerara simple syrup (1.5-1 / sugar-water ratio)
Fresh mint leaves
El Dorado 12 year rum

This reminds me of the way an "Old Fashioned" serves as a vehicle for highlighting whiskey; this drink highlights rum. But it does more than that. It is also delightfully refreshing. Obviously, the addition of mint makes this reminiscent of a mojito, but the style of rum and Demerara syrup alter the flavor sufficiently to make this its own drink.

I realize this is a riff on a Caribbean drink and I'm not really sure how it has been changed; it's not a very complicated drink. It is enjoyable without being exceptional. It's perfect as a backyard summer drink and exploring different Demerara rums. It won't change your world but can make your day a bit brighter

SCORECARD:
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific

3 - GOOD - 11 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa

Boo Loo

[ Edited by: destro100 2014-02-26 12:15 ]

Magical Ratios:

Drink 38: Chief Lapu Lapu

Ingredients I used:

Fresh orange juice
Fresh lemon juice
Simple syrup (1.5-1 / sugar-water ratio)
Passion Fruit Syrup (from Goya 100% puree/concentrate)
Coruba Dark Jamaican rum
Flor de Cana 4 year - Light rum

What a fantastic surprise. Surely a case where simplicity trumps complexity. If you get the right oranges, the right lemons, decent (or better) liquor, the correct dilution, and perhaps most importantly - the right passion fruit syrup - you have a rare gem on your hands. It has the quintessential tiki-passionfruit flavor that so many drinks aspire to capture but fall short due to less than perfect ratios or ingredient combinations.

While it's true that I didn't use passion fruit syrup derived from "fresh" ingredients, I love working with the fruit concentrate because I can really control the sweetness, tartness, and concentration. In this case, I tend to leave my syrup extra tart. I actually use 2 parts concentrate to 1 part sugar to 1/2 part water. This creates the combination I like and I can also easily adjust from there as needed. This combination allows the tartness and distinct passion fruit flavor to distinguish itself without being confused for sweetness. If more sweetness is needed, it is easy enough to add a bit of simple syrup.

The fruit flavors are in perfect harmony, yet I'm sure that others may want to reduce the lemon (I don't), The rums compliment each other delightfully, and the dilution keeps the drink tasting great to the last sip. I can't wait to try this with some higher-end rum to see if the drink gets even better.

I'm giving this a rare 4.5 rating based on getting everything right - including the setting you enjoy this in. Otherwise, it's just a measly 4.

My personal rating: ****1/2 (4.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:
4.5 ALMOST PERFECT - 1 drink so far
Chief Lapu Lapu

Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa

Boo Loo

Interestingly delicious:

Drink 39: Krakatoa

Ingredients I used:

Fresh orange juice
Fresh lime juice
White Grapefruit Juice (bottled 100% juice - not from concentrate)
Yoga Apricot Nectar
John D. Taylor's Velvet Falurnum
Stirrings Espresso Liqueur
Flor de Cana 7 year - Golden rum
El Dorado 12 year Dark rum
Angustura Bitters
Hawaiian Valley Coffee (freshly ground - very similar to Kona)

I live for tiki recipes that include more than seven ingredients. That's what makes tiki mixology so much fun. True, many of them don't live up their promise, but this one does. It's complex, unique, delicious, and intoxicating.

I'm a huge fan of the Mai Kai's coffee-based drinks (Mutiny and Black Magic), and I really appreciate what the bum has created here. This is his take on the style and it works wonderfully. It's also pretty unique in its own way. The combination of juices gives this drink a nice foil to work with against the deep earthy bitterness of the coffee and the Angustura. The combination of rum is interesting and staying away from the Jamaican pot-still funk helps differentiate this drink from other tiki drinks that are too reliant on the jamiacan rum flavor profile as a backbone to their drinks. I'm not completely sure how the Falernum is working here as it seems there are too many other things going on, but perhaps if I used a homemade more-intense version it would come through more boldly.

This is a great drink for tiki aficionados. I don't think I would serve it to newbies; it might be too complex to appeal to the untrained-tiki-taster.

SCORECARD:
Chief Lapu Lapu

4 - EXCELLENT - 7 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa

Boo Loo

Nice review. Love the Krakatoa! One of my favorites of the Bum's own

Regarding your homemade passion fruit syrup: how do you mix the Goya, sugar and water? do you heat them, and if so, until boiling? Thanks in advance. Also thanks for reminding me to make myself a Chief Lapu Lapu!

HI Kill Devil,

I start by putting all 14 ounces of passion fruit pulp in a pan/pot turning the heat on low.

As it melts, I slowly add up to seven ounces of sugar. I stir till it is well incorporated and add an additional 3 ounces of water.

If I'm not feeling too lazy, I might grate a very small amount of lemon or lime peel into the syrup.

The syrup doesn't necessarily have to boil, but once the ingredients are sufficiently incorporated, I let the syrup stand to cool. If I used lemon/lime peel, I strain the syrup.

I bottle with a 1/2 ounce of Wray and Nephew to extend the life. I used to worry about the rum changing the flavor of the syrup, but I found that after a day the rum lays back quite a bit and the passion fruit flavor remains bold.

Anyhow, that's how I do it. I would gladly accept any suggestions for improvement.

A

I was inspired so I made a Krakota :)

Before I added the coffee I found it a bit sweet, after I added the coffee I found it a bit overpowering at first (my float was a bit more of a 'dump'), the cold coffee edge in a new taste I've not experienced in a cocktail (coffee liqueur yes, cold coffee no!). I added a little honey mix & bam it came round to my tastes.

I hope to have a little coffee tiki cocktail voyage of discovery for a few weeks - so far I rate the Mr Bali Hai highly, it's a bit simpler to make too.

Also regarding passionfruit syrup: if I am making a drink that is passionfruit syrup heavy (is more than 1 shot, like a Hurricane) I use passionfruit juice & sugar syrup (in a ration of 3:1 or 2:1) to get the same effect. Or I just put half a passionfruit in if it's shaken (I dont mind the seeds). Anyone else do either of these?

2 questions for you Mr Destro100:

Are you revisiting some of the drinks as you go? Do you have any addition tips to share?
Second time I make a drink I usually appreciate it a little more.

What order are you doing the drinks in?
In looking up the Krakatoa in Remixed tonight, I noticed the previous page was the Hurricane - (H is before K in the alphabet) & twigged you'd missed some out - do you plan on making these at a later date?

Cheers! Adam

H

Destro, you made Krakatoa sound so delicious I had to make one this evening. I liked it and I liked how complex the flavor was. The coffee flavor was a great addition. I have never had any tiki drinks with coffee in it so this was my first. Also, this was one of largest cocktails I ever had, WOW! I might try some of Mai kai's coffee drinks next.

Destro100- this is great, keep up the RUM
Cheers

Jon

So glad to see the high ratings for Chief Lapu Lapu and Krakatoa. These remain two of my favorites from the Grog Log. I rated them similarly way back in the day and feared that I may have been overly exuberant, but this confirms that they do hold up.

I actually suggested to the Bum that he find a way to put the Krakatoa on the menu of his new establishment. I think it's an underrated gem from his books. I'd put it right up there with the Mutiny and Black Magic. I have a feeling he'll offer at least one large coffee/snifter drink of some sort. It's just a matter of which one(s).

D

Hey Folks,

Thanks again for the encouragement and interest. It's always nice to know that some folks are enjoying the journey with me.

AdorAdam - You had two good questions
Do I revisit drinks?
Unfortunately, at this point I don't. If a drink seems off, beyond dilution, I will try to tinker with it slightly.

I will definitely revisit some of these when I have company, but at this point, the task is still pretty intimidatingly large so I'm trying to plow forward and enjoy each drink on its own.

You also mention that sometimes you appreciate a drink more the second time. This is true, but there are so many factors that contribute to the experience including: accompanying food, quality of the ingredients, time of day, time of week, time of year, previous drinks enjoyed, setting and especially company. This is why I don't claim to make any definitive ratings; not even for myself. These reviews simply capture a moment of time and allow me to safely assume within a range of a point (including halves), how much I generally enjoy each drink.

Regarding the order of drinks
I am trying to stay in order, but it's not always possible. I'm still trying to get my hands on that Parfait Amor for the Royal Daiquiri - I haven't forgot you!!! In the case of the Hurricane and Rumrunner, I simply ran out of passionfruit syrup, didn't have Bacardi 151, and at the same time had some fresh oranges I wanted to use. I don't expect to ever jump more than 3-4 pages ahead. In truth I try not to peek too far ahead. I love the surprise.

Hiltiki - Glad you enjoyed the Krakatoa. You must try the Mai Kai drinks. They are just as unique and delicious in their own way

Hurricane - You are damn right! There better be a coffee-based drink on his menu. As a matter of fact, I would love to see a Beachbum book of just original drinks. Do you think he has ever considered this?

A book of original Bum drinks would be sweet, but I'm assuming the bar will be the focus of his attention for a while. But my guess is that his best recipes have yet to be published. Martin Cate has a book coming out in the fall, so at least we have that to look forward to.

On 2014-03-03 07:11, Destro100 wrote:
Hurricane - You are damn right! There better be a coffee-based drink on his menu. As a matter of fact, I would love to see a Beachbum book of just original drinks. Do you think he has ever considered this?

D

The creator, Constantine Ribaillagua, is a "mixologist"

Drink 40: La Florida Cocktail

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Carpano Antica (Italian Vermouth)
Marie Brizard White Creme De Cacao
Pierre Ferrand Curacoa
Routin 1883 Grenadine
Flor de Cana 4 year - Light rum

This is a beautiful drink; both in terms of flavor and appearance. It has all the elements of a classic cocktail including balance, and quality of ingredients. At the same time it also has a unique flavor profile that is produced by an interesting combination of ingredients. I have never seen a lime-vermouth-cacao-rum combo before. But it works. It really works.

I went with Carpano Antica as my italian vermouth. It has an unforgettably bold and luxurious flavor. The company has recently started selling Carpano in the U.S. in 375 ml bottles and at that size, it has become an indispensable part to my liquor collection.

That being said, I find that I have to be careful with Carpano as it can easily dominate a drink, but in this case, combined with so many other competing flavors, the Carpano manages to shine through with its sweet cherry and herbal tartness without diminishing the other flavors in the drink. I find it to be in perfect harmony with the creme de cacao (an ingenious addition to the drink itself) and the touch of grenadine for tartness.

The use of a whole ounce of lime makes this drink fall into the sour category of classic cocktails, but I think the drink would still work fine if it was dialed back to 3/4 of an ounce. I personally love sours and would not change it.

This is a great drink for entertaining, personal meditation, relaxation, and surprising your guests. It tastes great and looks lovely. I'm not sure why the reviews on the Grogalizer tend to vary widely. This drink was a winner for me all the way.

SCORECARD:
Chief Lapu Lapu

4 - EXCELLENT - 8 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida

Boo Loo

[ Edited by: Destro100 2014-03-04 07:41 ]

After reading the chapter on Constante in "Potions," this one is definitely on my list to revisit. I'm guilty of giving it a low Grogalizer rating when I first ran across it in "Grog Log," but it's likely at that point I was using less-than-stellar ingredients.

FYI, the recipe in "Potions" calls for white Cuban rum, of course. I may have to trot out my rapidly declining bottle of Havana Club 3. The Bum also recommends Bacardi 1909, Cana Brava, Plantation 3 or Doorly's 3.

One interesting sidebar that fascinated me: "Constante always hand-squeezed his limes. He wanted the essential oil from the peel to inform the drink. When using a metal squeezer, the oil largely ends up in the metal."

It's amazing he stuck to that rule at such a high-volume bar as La Florida for as along as he did. Legend has it that when he died in 1952, he had squeezed 80 million limes and made 10 million daiquiris.

But why "turtle"?:

Drink 41: Tortuga

Ingredients I used:

Fresh orange juice
Fresh lime juice
Fresh lemon juice
Carpano Antica (Italian Vermouth)
Marie Brizard White Creme De Cacao
Pierre Ferrand Curacoa
Routin 1883 Grenadine
Lemon Hart 151 Demerara rum
Bacardi 151 rum

A very unique tiki drink. Tasting this right after the La Florida cocktail makes it completely apparent what Trader Vic has done. As the "Bum" points out, Vic took a craft cocktail classic and completely tiki-fied it. I love the original and I'm not quite sure if this is an improvement. It's fantastic, but so is the original.

The challenge here is selecting the right ingredients. I think most italian vermouths might overpower the drink; especially as this drink calls for one whole ounce of vermouth. Despite the well-known strength of Carpano Antica, I found that it balances beautifully with chocolate (from the creme de Cacao) and much of my fear was quickly dispelled. The drink maintains the uniqueness of its ancestor while bringing a broader flavor and fruitier background.

This is a great drink, but like the Krakatoa, it might be too complex for the tiki novice. I would save this for those with well-versed tiki palates or cocktail experts.

SCORECARD:
Chief Lapu Lapu

4 - EXCELLENT - 9 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga

Boo Loo

H

Destro, I finally got to make your almost perfect Chief Lapu Lapu. I agree with you again, fantastic drink. I used Coruba and Cruzan light, and for fresh orange juice I used tangerine juice ( I have a tangerine tree). Loved it, thanks for all the research. I had made this drink in the past but had used the recipe from Grog Log which called for Sweet and sour mix instead of lemon juice and didn't care for it as much. But this one was so good.

D

Thanks for the update Hiltiki!

D

Solid Standby:

Drink 42: The Hurricane

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Passion fruit syrup
Appleton Extra 12-year Jamaican Rum
Coruba Dark Jamaican Rum
Smith and Cross Jamaican Rum

How do you review a classic? It was pretty difficult to be objective.

At first I thought that the ingredients were pretty simple and straight-forward; I decided to layer the drink by using a combination of Jamaican rums. I went with 2 oz of Appleton and 1 oz each of Coruba and Smith & Cross.

For those that haven't had the pleasure, I highly recommend keeping a bottle of Smith & Cross around. It is an awesome Jamaican rum. Quite powerful and possibly overwhelming on its own (57 proof) but when used in a cocktail or with other rums - it's quite simply magical: It has a beautifully sweet brown sugar and tropical fruit aroma. The taste has that distinctive pot-still funk that lets you know you're drinking a real Jamaican rum - nothing tastes quite like it.

Back to the drink. At first I wasn't all that impressed. It's not that it was too simple; it just didn't wow me.

First issue, this is a strong libation: 4 oz. of rum! You really need to wait for the ice to dilute a short while to uncover the true taste of the drink. Once diluted, the strength is no longer a problem.

Next issue, I love sour drinks, but I didn't think the sourness was balanced enough; the 2 oz of lemon seemed too tart, and the passionfruit only added to the tartness. It needed a touch of sweetness. Of course I've had numerous Hurricanes in the past, but I'm pretty sure they were bastardized versions; yet one thing stood out about them - I did miss that grenadine taste that the imitations often utilized.

I added a quarter ounce of grenadine.

Now the drink came together. It was refreshing and tropical. The rum sent me swimming, and I clearly understood how this drink makes sense when served as a pre-made pitcher concoction that would be ideal for company. I don't know if I need to repeat the drink for myself, but I will definitely be sharing it with others on our deck next summer.

SCORECARD:
Chief Lapu Lapu

Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 11 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane

Boo Loo

Dude, you should totally try one of these, you can barely taste the alcohol! Awesome bro:

Not Awesome.

Drink 43: Rum Runner

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Chambord Blackberry Liqueur
Marie Brizard Creme De Banna
Bacardi 151
Routine 1883 Grenadine

How do you review a spring break classic?

I know people really like this drink but it is most definitely not for me.

1. I don't like alcoholic slushy drinks. They feel targeted to 20-year olds. I like frothy but usually not "slushy." There are exceptions.
  2. This is too sweet.
  3. The flavors blend into an unidentifiable mix of boozy sugar and fruit.
  4. Too much ice.

SCORECARD:
Chief Lapu Lapu

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 11 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane

2 - AVERAGE - 6 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rumrunner

Boo Loo

Destro100, your assessment of Smith & Cross is spot-on. It should be considered an essential rum in any Tiki mixologist's arsenal. I'll have to try your suggested rums in a Hurricane. I'm a bit biased, but I'll take any dark Jamaican rum combo in that classic.

FYI, this year's Tales of the Cocktail official cocktail competition is called "Taming the Hurricane," a challenge to bartenders to "pay homage to this classic cocktail with their own creations." The all-star lineup of judges will be Jeff Berry, Ian Burrell and Wayne Curtis. It will be interesting to see what the competitors come up with.

More info here:
http://talesofthecocktail.com/all-events/2014-events/tales-of-the-cocktail-2014/tales-cocktail-2014-official-cocktail-competition/

With regards to the Hurricane - my favorite version by a long shot is Little fragrant Tiare's take on it, which she dubbed Funky Hurricane.

http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=11911

Smith & Cross lovers: unite!

kevin

Don't be afraid to embrace the inner craft-cocktail:

Drink 44: Lani-Honi

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Benedictine Liqueur
Flor De Cana - 4 year light rum

This was an interesting drink. At first, I was quite confused. What type of drink is this? It seems to be based upon a classic craft cocktail template, yet turned on its head. First, the proportions are wrong. In a typical classic cocktail, the base spirit dominates the drink, and the sour and sweet components are found in smaller quantities. It usually looks something like 4-2-1 or 3-1-1. In this drink, the Benedictine (a bit of sweet and sour/bitter) is 50% greater in quanitity than the strong (rum) component. Strange.

Next, this has too much crushed ice to be a classic cocktail. It would typically be served shaken and strained into a cocktail coup.

But - I think it works. I really enjoyed it. Perhaps because Benedictine is not overly sweet, and no other sweetener is added, the drink maintains balance. It tastes like a lemon cough drop. In a good way. The lemon flavor is forward and pleasantly rounded out by the herbal and almost honey-like qualities of the Benedictine.

If you're expecting a tiki drink, or for that matter even a tropical drink, you might be disappointed. This drink has a sophisticated flavor that is refreshing, herbaceous, lemony, and very novel. This is a nice dinner-party/cocktail-party style of drink.

I was disappointed to see all the low ratings on the Grogalizer. In comparison to other tiki drinks, this is so different that expectations were probably off. Then again, perhaps folks just have different tastes than mine. Either way, you've been warned - not everyone enjoyed this drink as much as I did.

SCORECARD:
Chief Lapu Lapu

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 12 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi

Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rumrunner

Boo Loo

I think the Rum Runner can be improved substantially by subbing LH151 for the Bacardi, and using some real banana instead of the creme de banana (you're blending it anyway right?). Blackberry Brandy is an underutilized Tiki ingredient (it's not Tiki, but I suggest the Warsaw Cocktail is a good use of BB as well)

Ouch, I guess I'm one of those guys who slagged the Lani-Honi way back when. This is what I love about this thread. It's giving me guidance on which drinks I need to go back and revisit. Perhaps it was one of my first exposures to Benedictine that accounts for the low rating, but I've since grown to appreciate the liqueur (in smaller doses) so the Lani-Honi is not nearly as jarring as it probably once was. However, I don't think it's very well balanced and seems to be missing something ... perhaps another, darker rum and something else to add some sweetness and balance. So I'm still conservative in my rating, which has been adjusted on the Grogalier, bringing the drink's overall score up to a 6.

That's the first of four that I've revisited that I've changed, but I've got four more on my list, including the Rum Runner, which I suspect I may actually rate lower. I'm not sure what I was thinking seven years ago, but perhaps I was in the midst of spring break revelry. I may compare the original against one with with Lemon Hart and fresh banana, as Kill Devil suggests.

And heylownine: I'm sure you realize we're now eagerly awaiting the Smith & Cross podcast.

Good but not tiki:

Drink 45: Mariposa Fizz

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Simple syrup
Marie Brizard Creme De Cacao
Hayman's Old Tom Gin
Egg white
Orange flower water
Soda Water

The "Fizz" is a style of drink that dates back to early 20th century but really became famous with the New Orleans' Ramos Gin Fizz. The drink usually uses a combination of an egg white and carbonation to create a distinctive foamy top and a unique fizzy texture. Orange flower water is often added as an additional accent.

The Mariposa fizz is different in that the gin quantity is lowered, the acidity is slightly lowered, and the usual simple syrup sweetener is replaced with a combination of creme de cacao and simple syrup. I enjoyed it very much and found the addition of creme de cacao to be a wonderful new take on the classic. In truth, I upped the Cacao another 1/4 ounce; I just didn't really taste it at first. Do not fear - it will not make the drink too sweet. I still prefer the Ramos and Sloe gin variations of this drink, but this was a nice change.

I opted for Hayman's Old Tom Gin. This is a great example of the classic Old Tom Gin style that was popular pre-prohibition. It's a style of gin that showcases less of a juniper flavor up front and is also ever so-slightly sweetened. Hayman's is a very affordable version of an Old Gin, BUT if you can afford it, try Ransom Old Tom Gin. It's about $10 more than Hayman's but might be worth it. They actually age the gin for a short while, developing the smoothness and character of the flavor from the barrel.

Make sure you shake this up as much as possible to achieve the right look and taste. My photo is a terrible example of what it should look like. I waited too long to snap a picture.

SCORECARD:

Chief Lapu Lapu

3.5 - VERY GOOD - 13 drinks and counting
Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz

Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rum Runner

Boo Loo

[ Edited by: Destro100 2014-03-12 07:12 ]

Beautiful:

Drink 46: Royal Daiquiri

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Marie Brizard Parfait Amour
Simple syrup (1.5/1 ration sugar/water)
El Dorado 3 Year White Rum

No question about it; this drink is beautiful. The color is ghostly, ethereal, elegant, and mysterious. The taste is not. This is sweet. Very sweet. Too sweet. I did not like this drink very much.

This drink looks like a classic Aviation (classic, meaning = touch of creme de violette added) but the Aviation is sophisticated, well-balanced, and tasty. This drink fails to deliver on any promise its appearance makes to imbiber.

To be fair, the Marie Brizard is probably the culprit. I usually enjoy their products very much, but in this case the underlying orange flavor of the parfait amor tasted artificial. There was a cloying unnatural sweetness reminiscent of bubblegum that carried all the way through to the final drink.

In addition, I prefer my daiquiris with an additional 1/2 ounce of rum and double the lime. Perhaps if I had tried this way, the flavors might be better balanced. Either way, there are so many other brilliant daiquiris I would try first. I think this is another example of how each taster brings their own preferences to a drink. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will enjoy this drink and I would never begrudge them their pleasure.

What am I going to do with a whole bottle of parfait amor?

My personal rating: *1/2 (1.5) out of ***** (5)

SCORECARD:

Chief Lapu Lapu

Beachcomber's Punch / Coronado Luau Special / Hawaii Kai Treasure / Coconaut / Castaway (slightly modified) / Don's Special Daiquiri / Banana Daiquiri / Captain's Grog / Viking Fog Cutter / Navy Grog / Hurricane / Lani-Honi / Mariposa Fizz

Beachcomber's Gold (Chicago) / Lychee Nut Daiquiri / Fog Cutter / Von Tiki / Planet of the Apes / Rum Runner

1.5 - BELOW AVERAGE - 2 drinks and hopefully not too many more
Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

A

What am I going to do with a whole bottle of parfait amor?

Well, cocktaildb.com has 17 recipes to choose from.

Sometimes more is less:

Drink 47: Aku Aku Lapu

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lemon juice
Fresh orange juice
Pineapple juice (Dole - unsweetened)
White grapefruit juice (from carton 100% pure unsweetened)
John D. Taylor Velvet Falernum
Flor De Cana 7 year Gold Rum
Appleton Extra 12 year Dark Rum
Lemon Hart 151

My wife and I enjoyed this last night but quickly came to the conclusion that snuggling under covers while watching TV was not the best setting for the Aku Aku Lapu. This drink needs to be enjoyed on a very hot and sweaty day while sitting in the sun. Some drinks manage to transport you to a tropical setting and some drinks help ease the overlooked discomfort of the tropical setting (sweat / sand / sun / heat / lethargy). This drink clearly falls into the latter category. This would make the searing sun tolerable. This does not take me on a journey.

About the drink; it's very citrusy. It utilizes four different fruit juices and they all vie for attention. They also make the drink a little too sour. I'm not sure why the creator didn't choose limes over lemons for their lower acidity.

The citrus punch tends to overwhelm the falernum and that is a shame. I may have to try this with a more intense falernum or at least increase the ratio. The falernum instead blends with the spiciness of the Lemon Hart and provides the drink a spicy note, that unfortunately, I'm not convinced blends well with the citrus punch aspects of the drink. Finally, the quality and the distinctiveness of the rums used in this drink tend to get a little lost when used in equal proportions; especially when we are talking about using 151 as one of the rums.

SCORECARD:

Chief Lapu Lapu

3 - GOOD - 12 drinks and counting
Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

What? No coconut?:

Drink 49: Kikuya Lapu

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Fresh orange juice
White grapefruit juice (bottled 100% pure unsweetened)
Cranberry Juice Cocktail (Oceanspray)
Pineapple juice (Dole unsweetened canned)
Passionfruit syrup (Goya pure pulp-based)
Honey mix (3-1 honey to water)
Coruba Dark Jamaican Rum
151 Bacardi Rum
Pernod
Angostura bitters
Pure almond extract

This simply shouldn't work. Twelve ingredients could not possibly combine to create this harmoniously marvelous concoction. It's a symphony of flavor that blends into one beautiful chorus. At the same time, this might be the most labor-intensive drink I've ever had to create. It was definitely worth it.

The combination of six juices create a unique fruit punch flavor and owes much to the indespensible honey background notes to elevate the drink to another level. I'm not quite sure how the cranberry juice contributes to the overall flavor, but I don't feel very guilty using the Ocean-spray cranberry cocktail juice because at such a small percentage, the effect must be minimal.

I always appreciate the Pernod and Angostura additions to a tiki drink.These additions were made famous by Donn the Beachcomber. They add a lovely bitter complexity with an anise background. In this drink the two flavors remain very subtle but do add to the whole. I'm also not sure how the almond extract contributes as I couldn't identify it in the finished product.

The drink reminds me of a drink from the Mai Kai. Unfortunately, I can't put my finger on which one specifically. Perhaps someone else can help me identify it on their menu.

If I had to criticize the drink, I'd point to the rum. It simply doesn't push through the drink and gets a bit lost. Even with the addition of a 151, I found the drink slightly weak. If you're looking for a strong rum drink, this may not be for you; especially not when you consider the additional dilution generated by a full glass of ice. I'm not sure how much rum to add or even what type as I definitely don't want to ruin the beautiful balance the drink achieves. I think I would probably try adding an additional 1/2 ounce of dark Jamaican and a 1/4 ounce of 151.

This drink is the perfect secret weapon to wow the tiki neophyte. At the same time, you better have an extra free 10 minutes for each batch you put together.

SCORECARD:

4.5 ALMOST PERFECT - 2 drinks so far
Chief Lapu Lapu / Kikuya Lapu

Eastern Sour / Astro Aku Aku / Kapu Kai / Western Sour / Beachcomber's Gold (Waikiki) / Red Tide / Samoan Fog Cutter / Gold Cup / Headhunter / Fogg Cutter / Noa Noa / Aku Aku Lapu

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

Not a Mai Tai and not a Swizzle:

Drink 49: Mai Tai Swizzle (Don the Beachcomber)

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
White grapefruit juice (from carton 100% pure unsweetened)
Controy (worthy imitator of Cointreau)
John D. Taylor Velvet Falernum
Myer's Dark Rum
Smith & Cross Rum
Flor De Cana 7 year Gold Rum
Pernod
Angostura bitters

From what I can tell, Don the Beachcomber didn't often have to follow Trader Vic's lead, but when it comes to the notorious Mai Tai, Don apparently had to come up with some variation of his own. I for one am very glad that he did. But aside from the glass and unstrained delivery - this does not bear much resemblance to a Mai Tai.

This also does not truly resemble a traditional swizzle. As far as I can tell, swizzles are usually served in tall glasses and incorporate "swizzling" in the glass to produce a nice rich and frosty glass.

That being said, this drink is delicious. It's complicated, balanced, and tasty. I decided to use a combination of the Myers and Smith & Cross to substitute for Myer's Plantation, which I suppose is not being made any longer. The combination of the three rums really worked well together. Myer's brought the dark molasses flavor, Smith & Cross brought the funk, and Flor De Cana brought the sugar, smoothness and body to the drink.

The combination of lime, grapefruit, Pernod, and Angostura create a wonderful harmonious bitter background that lets the drink stand apart. In general, Don's use of pernod has always impressed me for its originality in tiki drinks. A word of warning - be careful with the Pernod, it can easily overpower a drink. 6 drops are perfect.

Finally, I liked the spice that the falernum brought to the drink and in the future I may increase the quantity.

Overall, this is a great drink, but the real question is: Is it better than the original: The Mai Tai?

SCORECARD:

4.5 ALMOST PERFECT - 2 drinks so far
Chief Lapu Lapu / Kikuya Lapu

4 - EXCELLENT - 10 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga / Mai Tai Swizzle

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

What is there left to say?:

Drink 50: Mai Tai (Trader Vic)

Ingredients I used:

Fresh lime juice
Pierre Ferrand Orange Curacao
Routin 1883 Orgeat
Simple syrup (1.5-1 sugar to water ratio)
Appleton 12 year dark Jamaican rum
Rhum Clement V.S.O.P.

I made it to #50 and what a great place to be - The classic Mai Tai.

This drink is nearly perfect for a few reasons.

1. You truly taste the quality of all the ingredients you use. Try a different rum and you get a different drink. Use an inadequate lime, you will taste the difference. Use a cheaper orgeat or curaƧao and you will not enjoy this as much.

2. It's very well-balanced. All the ingredients blend together, combining to create a fantastic drink.

3. It's refreshing. This will quench any thirst on a hot day. While the combination of sugar, lime, and rum is nothing new, this drink finds a way to distinguish itself from many other similar drinks.

4. Anyone should be able to appreciate this drink. It's neither too tiki, nor is it too craft-cocktail. It appeals to those with a fine palate, just as easily as it can appeal to more pop culture tastes. Everyone likes this drink.

5. It's not overly complicated; as this review should be.

SCORECARD:

4.5 ALMOST PERFECT - 3 drinks so far
Chief Lapu Lapu / Kikuya Lapu / Mai Tai (Trader Vic)

4 - EXCELLENT - 10 drinks and counting
Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch /Aurora Bora Borealis / Outrigger / Bourbon Special / Beachcomber's Gold (Hollywood and Palm Springs) / Hell in the Pacific / Krakatoa / La Florida / Tortuga / Mai Tai Swizzle

Boo Loo / Royal Daiquiri

O

Wow! Not even the Trader Vic Mai Tai could earn a 5.0.

You, sir, are indeed a hardcore tiki drink judge! :P

Well, there may still might be hope for the Donn the Beachcomber 1934 Zombie, if your journey continues to Sippin' Safari...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 194 replies