Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Forbidden Maya Tai, San Diego

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

Duplicate...

[ Edited by: WestADad 2014-01-31 13:00 ]

T

Thanks! arriano, you never know... Working on finishing up to be part of the SD Home Bar Crawl in March.

WestADad, thanks. Added a red rug to go in your corner. It really ties the room together. I like hanging out there, too.

My wife had some of her friends over, and they were itching to see the bar. It was the first public viewing, and they liked it. It wasn't used for drinking (still damn cold in the garage at night, well, San Diego cold, brrr). Maya was stoked, whew. Here's a few photos....

(Dart board cabinet open, oops).

View from behind the bar:

Next up, menu drink testing.

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-02-02 05:58 ]

M

keep up the hard work

Lookin good
All ya need is a kiln in there to heat it up :)

Jon

T

Derek, thanks- your bar is a huge inspiration (and a whole lot better). At least the router work is getting better- look forward to making it to one of your classes, though! (soon?)

Jon, I'll have to build a bigger garage (though not a bad idea). That being said, Maya's already put the kibosh (sp?) on a kiln in the house.

Update: we had a few friends over for a road test. Printed up a menu for all four of us to choose from. I've been making drinks from the Grog Log & the Tiki+ app (which is pretty damn handy), and used a few from there.

Started off with Rosemary's Tiki, but then we switched to The Castaway. Maya's non-rum drink was The Yellow Boxer (from the app), which was pretty fantastic (tequila, galliano, lemon juice, orange juice).

Dreyfus was whining that he was left alone in the house, so we let him in. He was slightly disappointed, he thought there would be food for him to beg for.

W

Nice menu! Making me thirsty!

Chris
WestADad

T

Thanks, Chris.

The test run at the bar made me realize that the lowest shelf behind the bar (originally for booze, then taken over by mugs) had to be used as originally planned. I had all of the bottles on the return of the bar, which made looking for things tough. Unfortunately, there's STILL not enough room for the booze on the one shelf.

I'm always impressed how others design the layout of both their alcohol and mug collections. I've done some re-arranging, but will have to add more shelves. I'm thinking about a bar rail, but would rather have the bottles on display. Any thoughts/ feedback?

I also added a metal shelf next to the bar, which is used to hold some other pieces.

Here's the latest view behind the bar:

Left side:

Right side:

D
dtel posted on Thu, Feb 6, 2014 9:01 PM

How hard would it be to make that bottom shelf two tiered ? Where the bottles in the back could be seen and still be accessible. Even a lower row one bottle deep right in front of that one, can't see what's below that shelf in the pic.

It's a good problem to have when you have a nice collection, maby one day I will have that problem ?

[ Edited by: dtel 2014-02-06 21:05 ]

T

Been a while since I've posted- we've been enjoying the bar- and continuing to add to it (of course). A few pics:

Close up of one of the mug shelves:

View of the bar from the lounge side of the room:

different coloring...

Fleshing out the opposite ("Lounge") side of the room. The corner has a small shelf w/ bowls (including this one by Grog) as well as a small pendant collection....

More art on the walls, including this awesome painting I received from Dawn Frasier during the last Art Swap (right next to Henrik's work):

Tiki from Jason of Smokin' Tikis:

More framed art- including more beautiful Art Swap stuff, Eric October, and some more from Arriano!

Recent menu. I think less options makes for quicker decisions, especially after a few drinks! (For those keeping score, I model my Corn n' Oils after one I had at Rumba in Seattle (which I highly recommend), which uses a MUCH lighter rum than the "standard" Cruzan choice.

Muchos mahalos for the visit!

Always good to see the collection grow and the room flesh out. Looks very nice.

• Dale
E

Greetings Tikiano,

Fantastic job on the bar! Hope the wife doesn't give you too much grief on the construction of your portion of paradise. We loved the appearance of Dreyfus! Nice collection of mugs. (The Munktiki Zombie hand Bob is awesome) Sad to see the Doug Horne missing a horn. I will ask him next time we go to the Tiki Marketplace if there are any extra horns laying around. I hope you don't mind if we copy your dartboard idea for our tiki bar in Chula Juanna. Again, great job.

Just looking fabulous and so glad you printed up a menu for your guests...that's high class hospitality.

Does Dreyfus get to listen to Tiki music in the lounge?

CHEERS...nice job!!!

A

On 2014-06-23 15:37, TikiAno wrote:

More framed art- including more beautiful Art Swap stuff, Eric October, and some more from Arriano!

Ha ha! I'm scrolling down the thread and suddenly I think, wow I had framed art just like that. Then I realize, it's the same ones! Glad they're put back into good use.

T

Arriano, they have found a good home, thanks so much for them! Hope your move went well?

Muchos mahalos, Dale, tamminjoe, & Vampiress!

tamminjoe, have fun with the dartboard idea. I doubt Doug has any more. Jason is working on one for me- he's great and I brought the mask to him earlier in the year when I picked up the other tiki. Should be all fixed up by Oasis. Still wonder where that horn ran away to....

Vampiress, Dreyfus comes in but has a general distrust for the garage (where the bar is located). He has found the shag rug to be the best place (coziest) place in there for him. I still plan on making a "real" menu, using either burned leather or another material to hold it, but for now I print out special menus with drinks that I enjoy making. Makes it more fun for guests and for whoever's making the drinks (me) :)

Good idea about the menu...prompts me to do a little something with mine. The lighting is fun. Shout out to Dreyfus.

T

Vampiress, I think it's a fun addition to any bar. I have the menu file on my computer, I can just edit the drink options before anyone comes over. If I ever (ever) settle on a more permanent menu I'd love to properly "age" the paper. I found this online and may try it at some point:

http://adventuresonarocketship.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/aging-paper-with-soy-sauce/

Still have a bit more lighting work to do- it's at a comfortable level but wouldn't mind some more contrast-y lighting- as well as some uplighting on the belly bars I built (so people can check out the routing work on them). Always something else to do!

Look forward to seeing some of your menu work! :)

T

Wow, it's been a while since I updated any photos of the home bar. A lot has changed, including new shelving, art, and more. I've added a great resin chunk lamp (eBay), another resin lamp (also eBay), and got a killer Moai tiki from Buzzy.

I've never been happy with the glaring grey garage door, so tried to figure out an inexpensive way to hide the fact that the home bar is in fact in a garage- while still allowing the door to work. My wife was very against my painting or permanently altering the garage door in any way- "for resale's sake," though I've always thought that the next homeowner would be impressed to see a full on bar in their new home's garage. Okay, maybe that's just me.

I thought of a few ways of going about this, including a vehicle wrap (expensive), a photo wall mural (which are repositionable and thus not permanent), then realized I'd see how wood grained contact paper would work. I ordered a huge roll from Amazon.com and squeegeed it on. I eventually had to use Spray 77 adhesive to get the contact paper to stick (after a mini heat wave we had in February), which got the contact paper to stick once again. I wasn't greatly concerned with how perfect the paper looked on the garage, since I was planning on adding record album covers and then netting on top of the contact paper. I also planned to keep direct lighting off of the garage door so any mistakes wouldn't be glaringly obvious. The fishing net really adds a nice touch (not pictured here).

Before:

After:

I've added extra LED spotlights to highlight new art, including the Buzzy Moai and a new bamboo shelf I scored on craigslist for really cheap. It holds a bit of the Scorpion Bowl collection, some of my ceramics, and more.

Floats area with art from Hang 10 Tiki & SewTiki from the 2015 TC Art Swap...

Wider shot of the "lounge" area with new resin light. I rewired the lamp that didn't work when I received it from eBay. Easy fix, then added a red bulb. I need to pick up some new Aloha print fabric to cover the cushions on the bamboo chairs... a few more things to do before the San Diego Home Bar Crawl in less than two weeks.

Mahalo for the visit!

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2015-02-26 22:31 ]

you guys have done a nice job with a small space, loving the look so far!!!

Way kool my man
Looks like a great place to relaX wit a drink in hand
Cheers

Looks great! Love that Buzzy moai!!!!

E

Love the fish tank on the bottom of that rattan bookshelf!

Pages: 1 2 68 replies