Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

MOJAVE OASIS IV April 11.12.13.2014 Tickets on Sale Now!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 148 replies

RD

On 2014-04-09 15:16, Trailerpark Tiki wrote:
2 DAYS!!!

Thanks Wade. I was getting a little lonely on this page of the thread. I think the cannibals have scared off some people. Where is Little Lost Tiki's usual crazy last minute posts?

RD

PART 6: Unsolved Mysteries

How did cannibals get here in the first place? That is a good question which I unfortunately only have partial information and answers. What is apparent is that Howser innocently stumbled upon a situation that he was ill prepared for. According to the website TikiLeaks.com the government has been aware of the situation for decades. In fact the government has labled the section of the Mojave Desert stretching from Joshua Tree to Ludlow in to Yermo as “Area 52” or the “Mojave Triangle”. Unfortunately the U.S. government recently shut down the TikiLeaks website when they were trying to investigate if Howser’s death due to natural causes, a govenment cover-up conspiracy, or by the Mojave cannibals.

Fortunately I had a friend I know who works at TSA at Los Angeles International Airport check into a hunch I had about a theory that the cannibals snuck into the United States using the stolen passports that were lost from Piers Gibbon’s production crew . Sure enough he was able to come across some photographic evidence in a top security clearance file from 2010 he came across. Since I was a friend of his he had no problem passing along these photos to me.

This cannibal’s passport stated he was Piers Gibbon from Great Britain. He apparently made it through the NSA checkpoints with little to no difficulty.

Unfortunately the cannibals that arrived prior to 2010 are still a mystery. Here are some articles from the Mojave Breeze and the Barstow Bugler that I was able to locate at the local library that give evidence of their presence prior to this latest wave of cannibal immigrants from 2010.

Here is one from yesterday's High Desert News.
I suspect the Mojave Cannibals got him.

Comming Tomorrow: The Conclusion

RD

FYI for Newbies & others:

Week One of the Coachella Valley Music Festival is taking place this weekend. Trying to make it to the Cajon Pass via the 15 freeway could be a nightmare anytime after 11am on Friday. It might be best to call in sick Friday to beat the traffic. :wink:

DZ

No worries, Rum Dog - I'm enjoying every installment of "The Story of Kapu" and (as usual) am amazed at the effort you put into it! I'm eagerly looking forward to what you have in store for your campsite(s) this year (you briefly told me about it at ITMP and it sounds like it will top any previous incarnation!!) I do hafta say, however, that I'm just as fearful to find out what drink you will be serving as well! Keep it up, buddy! The REAL fun starts in 2 more days!!

As usual I haven't done anything to get ready.
I wish I could take tomorrow off work.
See ya'll early Friday.

Jeff btd

Here ya go Rumdog!

this year i will be taking it mellow

Relaxing and escaping the world with the Ohana

As for vending this year...
I'll be bringing just a few select things...

MAYBE a hand-painted PiNGo mug

MAYBE i'll bring this shield carved by billy the Cud
and painted by yours truly
(based on a shield from a painting past)

MAYBE i'll bring some paintings

MAYBE i'll bring a few drawings

MAYBE i'll bring some woodburns

and MAYBE i'll bring a few limited edition prints of the
Land of the Mermaids mural in the Clamshell bar there...

Maybe...
or i may just bring my watercolor pad and sketchbook

feeling quite mellow
and ready to see good friends and hug All the Ohana!
:)

CAN'T WAIT!

Rum Dog,

Elena and I will be crawling!

Mahalo!

RD

Thanks John

I think there are a few more hosts looking at early on posts and Facebook.
I am estimating about 40 or so people will be crawling.

HOSTS

Rum Dog: The Kapu Cannibal Cocktail
Heylownine: Brake 3
MaiTaiMe: The Head Shrinker Bar's The Kupa Kai
Trailerpark Tiki: TLC - Trailerpark "Lab" Concoction (TBA)
Babalu: Down the Rabbit Hole
Tikirose: Off the Deep End & Ink Spots

CRAWLERS

Rum Dog & Vanilla Bean
Heylownine (Kevin & Val)
Tiki-ESP: +1
MaiTaiMe: +3
Trailerpark Tiki: +2
Little Lost Tiki: +1
Babalu & Amy
Tikirose +4
Tiki Slinger +1

RD
RD

THE STORY OF KAPU

THE CONCLUSION:THE KAPU CANNIBAL COCKTAIL

You read about it, you heard about it, but never in your wildest dreams did you believe it to be true. But there it will be in two days staring you square in the eye. Yes, the Cannibal Cocktail of Kapu is about to be unleashed. This concoction which originated in the south-eastern section of Papua New Guinea with the Kapu tribe is renowned for its high alcoholic content as well as its reported use of actual human brains extracted from the cannibal’s victims. The beverage was first discovered by Westerners in 1914 by Hermann Detzer , a German surveyor, who was sent to German New Guinea on a mapmaking expedition by Kaiser Wilhelm prior to WWI. He later contracted Kuru disease which was the 1900’s version of Mad-Cow disease. (It was reported that he contracted the disease from his consumption of the Kapu cocktail). To satisfy the public curiosity about his adventures, Detzner wrote Four Years among the Cannibals which was well received back native Germany.

Hermann Detzer and the book "Four Years among the Cannibals"

Detzner described the native cannibals in his book as the the “skirted ones”

This pre-war German postcard from New Guinea depicts the exotic locale of the German protectorate. Widely distributed cards such as this, whether sold as post cards or in cigarette packages, often intensified interest in the colonial enterprise by offering an exciting and evocative visual image. As a result many Germans, especially in Hamburg, began decorating their homes with exotic Kapu New Guinea items that were brought back. This started the style craze in Germany that later became known as “pre-mid-century modern”.

Towards the End of World War I in 1918, Detzer was run out of Papua New Guinea by Teddy Roosevelt along with a Gatling Gun and some of his old Rough Riders pals and a younger regiment.

It is reported that the former president and his men celebrated their accomplishment by drinking some Kapu Cannibal Cocktail that was left behind by Detzer. Roosevelt died a few months later on January 6, 1919 from “health complications” at the age of 60.

Roosevelt, seated to the right, and his men celebrating with some of the Papa New Guinea Kapu Cocktail.

Come enjoy the beverage that was worthy of a president on Mount Rushmore.

The Cannibal Cocktail available this Saturday only at Kapu Jungle & Village during the Tent & Trailer Crawl at Mojave Oasis.

RD

On 2014-04-09 19:28, Doctor Z wrote:
No worries, Rum Dog - I'm enjoying every installment of "The Story of Kapu" and (as usual) am amazed at the effort you put into it! I'm eagerly looking forward to what you have in store for your campsite(s) this year (you briefly told me about it at ITMP and it sounds like it will top any previous incarnation!!) I do hafta say, however, that I'm just as fearful to find out what drink you will be serving as well! Keep it up, buddy! The REAL fun starts in 2 more days!!

Thanks Z.

Don't worry about the cocktail. I believe your patented hangover remedy also prevents the brain rot associated with Kuru disease.

RD

Head Shrinkers Bar will be open soon!

See ya'll tomorrow!

I counted 21 crawlers. But I know many don't rsvp. Be prepared for 40-50. That's what I normally get at Mojave.

JUST ADDED FOR MOJAVE OASIS LINEUP FOR SATURDAY!
Martini kings on saturday at 4 pm under the clamshell tiki bar.
The Cocksmen on saturday at 6 pm under the clamshell tiki bar!

Well alright.
More bands is great.

Maybe I'll bring a banjo n be the band for Friday.
:wink:

Rum Dog, is that little heads in the bottom of yer drink?

Jeff btd

Come pitch a tent with the Cocksmen...

Comedy GOLD!
TOMORROW!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2014-04-10 19:54 ]

I'll be crawlin'! See you soon!

RD

Still packing the truck. I know I will probably forget a few thing I meant to bring.

Hope to be done by midnight in time to do the Kapu Midnight Limbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjdawtfo6AQ

On 2014-04-10 18:30, bigtikidude wrote:

Rum Dog, is that little heads in the bottom of yer drink?

Jeff btd

It's "brains". I made a jungle themed CD to play during my leg of the crawl to fit the theme and to allow you to relax and socialize with everyone since they will be in such close proximity to your DJ tent.

See everyone tomorrow.

I should probably be packing the car right now...

kevin

On 2014-04-10 17:53, martini kings wrote:
JUST ADDED FOR MOJAVE OASIS LINEUP FOR SATURDAY!
Martini kings on saturday at 4 pm under the clamshell tiki bar.
The Cocksmen on saturday at 6 pm under the clamshell tiki bar!

Hey, where are we supposed to drink? :wink:

I gotta pack too ... Where am I gonna sleep?

i'm looking forward to the CAKE!

84 degrees, nice breeze.
Camp site drink crawl going on now,
Martini Kings n Cocksmen soon,
Tikiyaki 5-0 tonight.
You all should really be here!

Jeff btd

What an awesome weekend. Martini Kings, Cocksmen, Tikiyaki 5.0. Thanks to everyone that made it such a fun time.

Trailerpark Tiki

Aloha people of Mojave Oasis!

Val and I once again had a great time at Mojave Oasis. There's always a certain point in the Saturday evening show post-crawl when I get to sit out on the lawn and watch an awesome performance under the stars and forget anything else that may be going on outside of that point of time. That's the moment.

I know there's a lot of work that goes into the weekend - hopefully I'm not leaving anyone out when it comes to thank yous.

• Amy and Ray for hosting the event.
  • Marie for managing the bar and the crawl, even when her voice abandoned her.
  • dibroc for keeping us fed.
  • Rum Dog for his gonzo site decorations and the backstory that goes along with it.
  • Tikiyaki 5-0 for their Saturday night performance and putting up with us inebriated super-nerds creeping the stage.
  • The Martini Kings and The Cocksmen for keeping the afternoon lively and forcing me to type cocksmen on my keyboard.
  • Jeff for making sure the music doesn't stop.
  • The crawl hosts for their hospitality and cocktails - MaiTaiMe the art work at your stop was really awesome (I dug the cocktail and beer too).
  • The crawlers that stopped by to sample the Brake 3, and to Val and my sister for helping to make sure everyone got a cocktail quickly.
  • Kenny for making sure I stopped to appreciate the sunrise when I was wandering bleary-eyed on a Sunday morning. And for the art!
  • In advance, I'll thank Tom for the photos he's going to post.
  • The blanket thank you to everyone who attends and makes sure this unique tiki event remains special.

Oh and thanks to everyone who kept the pie-hole train rolling late on Saturday night (I'm looking your way, Doctor Z). I needed that!

Photos: hopefully soon.

kevin

M

What a fantastic weekend! We had so much fun and are so thankful how everyone made us feel so welcomed on our first trip out to Mojave Oasis. We met some really great people and loved hearing their story as to how they got into tiki. This is the kind of event that makes me feel like I found a place in this world where I belong. We had a great time hosting and crawling..everyone did such a great job on their sites and cocktails! We are already discussing next year!

Thank you again everyone. Especially Amy for opening up such a great venue and throwing a great party!

Things got a little crazy in the Deadhead trailer!

RD

Thank you Amy and Ray for hosting another fine party at your tiki playground.

Jim and Tony your bands were fantastic.

Great job Jeff Big Tiki Dude for setting the mood all day. Some said you moved your DJ spot because you have a fear and phobia of cannibals.

Thanks Marie for taking the lead in setting up the crawl.

Shout out to my wife, daughter, and her boyfriend who rallied out to the event just in time to help me out with my crawl spot.

Thank you crawl hosts for making me crawl by the end of the night and to John for remembering to set aside a meal for me since dinner conflicted with my preparation for my crawl time spot.

Kinny, I love your gift. It looks real cool.

I am still recovering. I will post some photos in a day or so.

RD

Big time kudos to Kim and her company Deadhead Rum who made a generous contribution to the Rum Dog
U-Haul fund. Some of the items from Kapu will live on and be appreciated at future tiki events as ambassadors for Deadhead.

Deadhead: The rum of choice of cannibals and rum dogs.

Thanks to Amy and Ray for hosting such a far out event. Mojave Oasis was a gas!

MAHALO,MAHALO,MAHALO!!! To ALL(Amy,Ray,Marie etc.) that made TikiMouse and my's first Mojave' O. very special and ridiculously FUN!! We met 4 others that celebrated their first time too and told us they would b returning nxt yr.... Perhaps TikiMouse and I will mix up something tasty for the crawl...Mojave' O got our juices flowing...and we'r headed for Tiki Oasis!! ALOHA! (c u there)..."there's always rum just around the corner"

...Oh...and can someone please post the results of the winners of the crawl?..(we left early) Mahalo:)

B

Amy and Ray - Thanks so much for the great time!

Peoples, I think this place is hands down one of the coolest places to camp in the entire world! You have to make it to one of these Mojave events...it should be a must!

Amy and I are still reeling from the fun! The only regret that we have is that we both passed out and missed Jim's band on Saturday night. And also, that I didn't get a picture of Tom? How did that happen?

The annual "Dr. Z - Strohs Toast to Mojave's Most" went on without a hitch...many 1st timers are now seasoned Mojave "Toast" veterans.

Dr. Z

Jasper Z

Pretty ladies - 1st timers no more:

Down the Rabbit Hole (rum bunnies) - :wink:

Kinny and Amy

Tim and Family - he had the best damn beer on tap that I have ever tasted - Craft Brewing Co. - "Devils Double" I think it was...

Some other pictures I took in no real order

FM

Looks like everyone had a blast! The grounds look great!

RD

Reports of cannibalistic happenings were no laughing matter in the high desert this past weekend. A ritualistic and ceremonial skull rock formation, similar to the one found by German nudist Ulrich Kuhn, was found in the Kapu Jungle section of Mojave Oasis.

Fortunately the Mojave Oasis campers were able to make it out safely before last night's Blood Red Moon. That moon is associated with high levels of cannibalistic activities and is known within the Kapu tribe as "Blood Bath Moon". Thank God this moon phase did not occur a couple of night's earlier.

On a good note, it seems that beloved Newberry Springs resident and Boy Scout troop leader Bernard Willawbee was seen around the campgrounds enjoying the weekend's activities and entertainment.

RD

You read about it, you heard about it, and you got tired having to put up with over a month long duration of never-ending hype and
self-promotion of Kapu Jungle & Village.

Rum Dog talked the talk, did he walk the walk?

Time to put up or shut up.

Here is the award winning Kapu Jungle & Village.

COMING SOON: KAPU AFTER DARK

Awesome Rum Dog!

I was impressed last year with your set up but this one surpasses it!
Looks like a Disney attraction :)

You are super creative and deserve to win best campsite!

Rumdog and Vanilla Bean, Your campsite was off the hook! You are like superman and dog. I can appreciate all your hard work because I've dragged a lot of tiki decor out there and I know how much work it involves.

RD

1st STOP: TIKI ROSE & THE KANNIBALISTIC KRACKEN KLAN:
COCKTAILS: THE INK SPOT & OFF THE DEEP END

2ND STOP: TRAILERPARK TIKI
COCKTAIL: THE AWARD WINNING COCONUT CREAM PIE

3RD STOP: THE FOLTZ GILLIGAN'S ISLAND
COCKTAIL: GILLIGAN"S ISLAND ICED TEA

4TH STOP: BABALU & AMY
COCKTAIL: DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE & STROH'S TOAST

Daddy, Give me some of that Stroh's

5TH STOP: MaiTaiMe & Family: THE HEAD SHRINKER'S BAR
COCKTAIL: THE KUPAI KAI & DEVILS DOUBLE Craft Beer

Great Campsite!!!

6TH STOP: HEYLOWNINE (Kevin & Val)
COCKTAIL: BRAKE 3

7TH STOP: RUM DOG'S KAPU VILLAGE & JUNGLE
COCKTAIL: THE KAPU CANNIBAL COCKTAIL

Unfortunately I missed the last stop at the Deadhead Rum Trailer since my spot ran a little long and Tikiyaki was starting to play. Fortunately, I was able to meet Kim and the Deadhead Rum crew the following day.

Brain & Regan rocking it!

CA

Totally Fun!! Missed out on it, but looks like you all carried on very well... being experts and all on a great time!

I love a drunk Tom!

Great pics! Great campsites!

Tom...drunk?...never happens..
never.

RD

Thanks for the compliments Sandra Dee and Wade. Sandra Dee you were missed out there this year.

THE AMAZING JASPER Z

DZ

Rum Dog: After years of watching Vanilla Bean soaking up the sun and wishing "Dang, I shoulda brought Jasper...", I finally did - and he had the time of his life! Thanks for snappin' some pix!

(Oh, and BTW - Kapu Village was AWESOME! Can't wait to see if you can top it next time!)

On 2014-04-18 06:07, Doctor Z wrote:
Rum Dog: After years of watching Vanilla Bean soaking up the sun and wishing "Dang, I shoulda brought Jasper...", I finally did - and he had the time of his life! Thanks for snappin' some pix!

Glad you brought Jasper. Carly and Jasper got along well. Jasper is a cool dog!

RD

Pages: 1 2 3 4 148 replies