Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Anyone know anything about this Rum I found?

Pages: 1 14 replies

Aloha Centralites
On friday I walked into a liquor store, and found a rum made in Barbados. I understand it's not what Beachbum Berry refers to as "Barbados Rum", but I wanna know if anyone knows it. It's probably a piece of crap, but for 40 NIS (around $9) I couldn't say no.
It's called something liked "Old Pascas" and the label says it's "white" rum from the west indies, made in Barbados. It also has a lable around the neck saying "Caribic white & mellow".
I'll probably taste it in 2 weeks (that's where some fruit stores told me they should have limes), I'll use it as light rum.
Not that I'm such an expert, I'd probably not taste the difference in a cocktail.
Still, if it rings a bell, I'd be glad to know about it.

Mahalo
Ran

Do you ever sip rum straight? I'd just do that. There's a couple on our bar I'd really hate to adulterate by using as a mixer (Barbancourt Estate Reserve, El Dorado 15-yr Demerara, St. Jhames, etc.). I've never tried the one of which you speak; could be a jim dandy for one or the other

S

Not to take this in a totally different direction, but... I stopped into the biggest liquor store in town yesterday to get some Quarante Y Tres and found they had a much bigger rum section. They had the Saint James I had only found in the store across town, and they had a high end St. James in a box. Unfortunately, it was all in French, and although I could read a lot of it, I had no idea why it was so special. Rum is usually ages and the other high end Appleton and Bacardi and Captain Morgan were 7 anos and 12 anos, etc. This was something like "Dor ..." Hell, it escapes me. Nowhere did it mention age. Anyway. Maybe it's a summer thing, but it's nice to see lots of selection from the Goslings to the St. James in one place.

T

Kick the Reverb:
I couldn't find Old Pascas rum in "The Complete Guide to Rum" (by Edward Hamilton) but the top Barbados rum makers are Mount Gay, the West Indies Rum Refinery Limited that doesn't bottle their own rums but produces rum for every bottler in Barbados except Mount Gay, Hanschell Inniss Limited that blends and bottles Cockspur, and R. L. Seale that bottles various rums as well as John D. Taylor's brand of Falernum (the original Falernum, soon to be available in the U.S. again!).

Swanky: The Complete Guide to Rum says that Saint James Hors D'Age is a blend of several rums that are older than 3 years and it is "one of the best rums from Saint James". The more commonly found Saint James rum (in the U.S.) is Royal Ambre, which is 2 years old.

Saint James rum comes in the most beautiful square bottles embossed on all four sides with the company name and "Plantations Martinique". The bottles are worth keeping after the rum is gone (maybe for storing some home brew). The guide book says the bottles are made in Marseilles.

____
  _ _
   /
  / 
 /    
  _

[ Edited by: thejab on 2003-07-20 11:52 ]

S

Jab, I wonder what that H'ors D'Age is used for other than sipping?

What rums are still made in Cuba? I will be in Cancun in October/November and want to try to find some Cuban rum to bring back rather than the Appleton white I usually get (why can't I find that here?) I just hope real Cuban rum is easier to find than a real Cuban cigar! I have only found 1 place with the real cigars, and only because I found a local man from the US who knew the right place.

T

On 2003-07-20 12:36, Swanky wrote:
Jab, I wonder what that H'ors D'Age is used for other than sipping?

Heck, I would use it in a Mai Tai, along with an aged Jamaican rum.

The book I have only mentions Havana Club in the section on Cuban rums. Matusalem used to be made in Cuba but is now made in the Bahamas and Florida.

I have 3 kinds of Havana Club in my bar. All should be easy to find in Mexico. Silver, Anejo 3 year (light gold in color), and Anejo 7 year (gold in color). All of them taste good straight, but I use the silver and 3-year in cocktails where they're not covered up too much by other ingredients. Try a dacquiri with Havana Club and you'll never want Bacardi in a dacquiri again. The 3-year is also great in a highball. I like to sip the 7-year from a snifter.

S

Yeah, all those grades of the Havanna Club are here.

BK -I'm not a straight sipper. I'm not into drinking hard alchohol by itself (although as kids my brothers and I used to dare each other and sip the 160 proof Stroh Rum in my parents' liquor cabinet), and I doubt such a cheap rum would be item to start a sipping career with...

thejab - West Indies Rum Refinery Limited could be it, but I need to check.
Mahalo
Ran

Matusalem is good stuff, it's made in South Florida "from the original Cuban recipe", and using it doesn't annoy the Cuban ladies down here (which is very important).

From an article on the web:

"Matusalem & Co. produces and distributes premium rum products around the world, including the exclusive "Gran Reserva," once known in Cuba as the "Cognac of Rums." Founded in Cuba in 1872, but forced to shut down Cuban operations in 1960, the company now thrives in Miami, distilling and selling nearly 3,000,000 bottles of rum annually.

A descendent of the Matusalem & Co. founding family, Dr. Claudio Alvarez, now serves as president and CEO. Dr. Alvarez hopes that someday, changes in the political climate between Cuba and the United States will enable Matusalem & Co. to return to its homeland, where the company once generated sales of 12 million bottles of rum each year.

yo reverb, isn't there a garden just north of you?, popular for night time parties?. Gesedamine or something like that......they should have a lime tree. Oh, watch out for romans. Peace in the east.

Two Wheelin'...I thought you were serious for a moment...I know it's a joke but I don't get it...care to explain?
Ran

N
nuKKe posted on Tue, Feb 2, 2010 1:22 PM

So what about Old Pascas - should I bother or should I stick to the old Cruzan/ Ron Rico and add a decent Barbados brand to the wishlist?

V
virani posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 1:00 AM

I use the St James Royal Ambré (very common here) for my home made Spiced rum. That makes a really good mixture (using Martiki's receipe). And you're right, I like the square bottle.

But for mai tai's, I prefer the Rhum Clement Hors d'Age.

Sorry, I couldn't answer the original question of KTR.

Don't bother with that rum, the Barbados rum that's called for in the recipes is the amber colored rum, not white.
Ran

N
nuKKe posted on Sat, Feb 6, 2010 4:12 AM

On 2010-02-05 14:38, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Don't bother with that rum, the Barbados rum that's called for in the recipes is the amber colored rum, not white.
Ran

That's what I thought but nevertheless had to verify. Thanks.

Pages: 1 14 replies