Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Arizona Beach House

Pages: 1 19 replies

Desert landscaping in my backyard didn't work. I needed something that didn't remind me that it gets to 115 every summer here. Cactus already removed and rock cleared out. The support footing already underway.

With a pool like this I had to do something to make it feel like an island back here. The pool decking was too small to do any entertaining any way. Those pool umbrellas always ended up in the pool when ever a storm blew through so they had to go.

Supplies to get started. 70's boom box to get this party started, check! cement, check! decking, check!

Deck footing in place.

Redwood decking almost done. This one is 20 feet wide by 16 feet out to the pool.

Wet the redwood to bring out the color.

Shot of the first deck with palm canopy in place. The backyard didn't look balanced so I started a second deck on the west side of the pool. Any reason to reduce the desert landscaping too!

This where the grill was. I moved it under the patio and went to town on a second deck.

Second deck in place and laying out the roof framing for the canopy.

Roof framing in place and stained.

Palm canopy almost done.

Both decks and canopies done.

After all that work any body got a Corona? Doin a little Baja / Hawaiian fusion.

Damn! It still didn't look right so I started building a 3rd canopy. The direct summer sun bakes the tropical plants and I can't have that. All canopies have low lighting installed. The 3rd canopy looks fantastic from the kitchen window also.

All the canopies completed. Now back to carving more tikis and makin tiki mugs.

Night shot. They look great with the accent landscape lighting on the tikis and plants.

Mahalo

[ Edited by: Tiki Republic 2014-03-03 13:34 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Republic 2014-03-03 13:35 ]

The style is veering a little too close to "Jimmy Buffet" Margaritaville territory
maybe consider coming back to a more Tiki aesthetic.

S

Man you have a HUGE backyard! Looks great so far!

Wow, that's a big yard to try and transform. You're doing a good job, but the Corona beer promotional items take away from what looks like a nice space. The deck and your tiki's look great! I like the deeply shaded patios that the homes in the desert have.

I think succulents and cactus can be used in a way to create an otherworldly tropical feel. These are all desert gardens designed for an underwater feel.

On 2014-03-03 13:46, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
The style is veering a little too close to "Jimmy Buffet" Margaritaville territory

The decks were done first, about 3 years ago. Check me out in the tiki carving and mug making sections. I have over 15 tikis in that backyard now. They are decorated with island themed items. Two Corona images in one pic don't make it Jimmie Buffet but thanks for the feedback.

On 2014-03-03 14:23, Tiki Republic wrote:

On 2014-03-03 13:46, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

The decks were done first, about 3 years ago. Check me out in the tiki carving and mug making sections. I have over 15 tikis in that backyard now. They are decorated with island themed items. Two Corona images in one pic don't make it Jimmie Buffet but thanks for the feedback.

Thanks again. This is a work in progress. Between work, carving, mug making and all the other rat race stuff going on I'll get there. I replaced a lot of the plants and planted some heat tolerant plants. I'm just waiting to see how they blossom before I post more.

What a nice, big backyard! Love the pool. Can't wait to see more pictures as you progress. I'm jealous that you can carve your own tikis for your space! I don't care for Corona so those things have to go - just kidding! Each to his own. :wink:

Glad to hear it :) keep carving...

Hi Neighbor! Awesome work on your backyard. We just moved into a new place in Chandler and getting ready to start the outdoor tikifying begin.

On 2014-03-03 14:48, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
What a nice, big backyard! Love the pool. Can't wait to see more pictures as you progress. I'm jealous that you can carve your own tikis for your space! I don't care for Corona so those things have to go - just kidding! Each to his own. :wink:

The yard is sweet but a lot of work. I put in about 25 new plants in last year. I'm hopin to see some good results this Spring. I put lots of reds, yellow, fusia and purple back there. The soil here sucks though. I'll post more pics if I get good results this year.

On 2014-03-03 16:51, creepykbear wrote:
Hi Neighbor! Awesome work on your backyard. We just moved into a new place in Chandler and getting ready to start the outdoor tikifying begin.

Sweet! I was starting to think that I was in an oasis out here. I heard from another tiki dude in Phoenix today. Great to hear your doin your yard up. The Az. Aloha Fest is this weekend if you didn't already know. It's at Tempe Town Lake, free and there'll be about 8,000 to 10,000 people this year. Tons of vendors, 3 entertainments stages and lots of food.

Love the color of the "wet" deck
I know how tough the sun can be on plants
Huge yard
Kool

Jon

Wow...that is some yard. Tikis, torches, and tropical plants will certainly bring it into the tropical isle motif. Gorgeous decks...keep up the great work. (Jealous...I want a pool.)

On 2014-03-04 21:02, VampiressRN wrote:
Wow...that is some yard. Tikis, torches, and tropical plants will certainly bring it into the tropical isle motif. Gorgeous decks...keep up the great work. (Jealous...I want a pool.)

Vampiress, I'm the one who's jealous. I saw you over in the tiki mug section at Wendy and Dan's house. I've tried tropical plants like banana trees, birds of paradise and such. That summer heat kills them even under the patio. I've planted a bunch of heat and draught resistant plants that look tropical. The soil where I'm at is mostly rock too but I'm tackling that. I have torches and about 20 accent lights back there. I'll post pics when ever I find time to figure out where windows 8 hid them, lol.

Mahalo.

[ Edited by: Tiki Republic 2014-03-05 07:42 ]

T

Boy could we use some Tiki Arizona heat right NOW!

Totally LOVING the three canopies. You have created quite the oasis out there.

I hope the plants you have put in thrive. Please keep us updated.

• Dale

Any updates? Was wondering how those plantings you put in are doing.

• Dale

With the temps over 100 now and soil needing nutrients I don't see much change. I've been busy working on a website, blog of island eateries in Az., fb page and tiki mug.I even found the time to carve a 2 more tikis. My job has me working 12 hour days lately. Tiki must go on though. After I fuel up with some rum I will post pics soon. Thanks Dale.

P

Nice spread bro.... :)

An awesome tiki resort in your own backyard!!

Pages: 1 19 replies