Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Kona coffee?

Pages: 1 18 replies

A

Hi all

Ive spotted quite a few drinks reciepes call for Kona coffee, it's fair to say I know very little about Kona coffee!

I found out a few bits but thought it'd be better to throw out the net to TC:

What do you know about Kona coffee?

It is just a Coffee Bean & brand grown in Hawaii, pretty good too &
very close to a French Roast, you can substitute any Vienna or French Roast coffee
in those drinks if you don't have access to Kona Coffee in the UK

I don't think it will make any real difference in taste.

no expert, but I have found Kona to be an expensive, mild, smooth, buttery flavored coffee. in a kona blend, who knows how much kona you're actually getting, likely blended with standard colombian arabica.

to me kona's nuances would not likely be discernable in a cocktail.

i use a cuban-style blend coffee in cocktails.

H

I happen to like Kona coffee and I can't drink French Roast coffee because it is too acidic and has a strong flavor. I made Karakatoa, which Destro had recommended in his thread with both coffees, French and Kona. There was a big difference in flavor, I liked Kona much better in this drink, the flavor blended in so much smoother than the French Roast. I think there is a reason why Beachbum Berry recommends this brand in his recipe.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2014-03-23 20:01 ]

Kona is a region, same plants as Blue Mountain and other varieties, but the climate and soil will impart different flavors. As such, it can be roasted in any style as well as sold green. Typically, since it has a lower total volume to work with, the most common styles are the full-city and French roasts.

You actually can get Kona in the UK. Fortnum and Mason (and South Korea) buys way too damn much of it from Greenwell Farms.

If good quality Kona is out of your price range, do not try the cheaper Kona that places sell, that often tastes like overpriced Folgers. Just buy something good by you. When you pair it with strong flavored spirits and mixers, most of the subtle flavors get lost.

Pay attention to the prior suggestions to read labels carefully. There is a big difference between 100% Kona coffee and "Kona blend" coffee. I buy both, and my brewing decisions depend on my intended use and my target audience.

Kona coffee is more expensive, but in my opinion, if a "regular" coffee sells for $8 a bag, then it's worth the experience to pay $15 a bag for 100% Kona coffee. It lasts a while, and there is a nice richness and depth of flavor in pure Kona coffee which you may really enjoy. When you brew a pot, some will be used for your cocktails, and the rest makes a wonderful end-of-night drink for your guests. Just don't brew it too strong or you miss the "sweet spot" of the experience.

On my last visit to Hawai`i we spent a week on the Kona Coast. Not only did we go deep sea fishing and enjoy a stellar view of the island from offshore, but we also toured the coffee plantations. It was definitely a memorable visit!

K

Think the canned stuff might be a good, quick and easy substitute?

Ah dammit, just saw the small print on the can, lol.

Follow me on Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/keithkocka

[ Edited by: kkocka 2014-03-24 10:49 ]

And how about the big print -- with milk -- lol! :drink:

Also the smaller print that's says "Contains no less than 10% Kona coffee," which almost certainly means contains no more than 10%.

Immortalize your name for eternity by contributing to The Tikipedia!

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-03-24 11:44 ]

K

I got distracted by the pretty flowers. :(

That is the secret, make it cheap, decorate it, and load it with sugar so the people will not care that the quality is low.

This is the 100% Kona coffee I usually get on Amazon.

It's $30.99 for a 14 oz. bag of ground coffee.

S

Kona Coffee is my nemesis...

Actually, I am going to do my best to get behind the scenes at the Mai-Kai next month and find out what coffee they use and how they brew it.

Every time I make a Black Magic it seems to taste different and not quite right. I have a drip maker, with a strong setting. I have an Aeropress. I grind beans fresh. 100% Kona. I want to get the tried and true method and then tweak the other ingredients to nail down the Black Magic better.

My best option so far has been double the grounds in the drip maker set to "strong".

Damn fine coffee.

It's going to be funny if it turns out Mai-Kai is using coffee that comes from Sysco in a 5-gallon bucket labeled "coffee."

S

On 2014-03-25 07:57, TikiTacky wrote:
It's going to be funny if it turns out Mai-Kai is using coffee that comes from Sysco in a 5-gallon bucket labeled "coffee."

I've been in the kitchen and back bars, and there are coffee pots and makers. However, the coffee for the drinks is likely pre-made and chilled.

On 2014-03-25 07:57, TikiTacky wrote:

...or if the coffee used turns out to be powdered/instant coffee! :)

I was in the back bar area last year, and had I known, I could have asked one of the bartenders about it. I sure enjoyed seeing the array of fine old rums on display on the upper-most shelves.

K

If they are using cold coffee for drinks, they MAY be cold brewing it or using, as it's called "toddy." You put the coffee grounds in a filter, tie it with a rubber band or string, then put the coffee in a mesh filter, and submerge the mesh filter in a pitcher of cold water. Let it set for 12 to 24 hours, remove the mesh filter & it produces a very smooth, nonacidic cold coffee that can be used by itself, with cold milk, ice cream, etc etc. Try it & see.

Ideally you should use a French press rather than a paper filter for all coffee (esp for cold brew) because the essential oils get trapped in the filter.

One of the biggest problems with people making cold coffee drinks is they brew hot coffee and either chill it fast (dump over ice) or slow (in the fridge) but it always has a really bad sourness to it that they then cover up with a shit-ton of sugar.

I have not used these but they do make Coffee Syrup
here are a couple:

http://www.davescoffeestore.com/Coffee-Syrup-s/86.htm
http://www.torani.com/products/coffee-syrup

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-03-25 18:08 ]

Pages: 1 18 replies