Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Disneys Polynesian Village makeover

Pages: 1 17 replies

D
dtel posted on Wed, May 7, 2014 1:43 PM
P

I'm feeling a trip to Florida in my future ... probably over Xmas, since that's when I'm back home in New Orleans.

Pablo

My collection of bifwebe | My cruddy music

[ Edited by: PabTiki 2014-05-07 13:54 ]

Wow! This looks amazing

K
kkocka posted on Wed, May 7, 2014 3:51 PM

Yeah there's a lot of uproar over the renovations, namely because they're taking out water feature: the giant welcoming waterfall. Lots of topics on this one.

The giant Legionella pneumophila spreader you mean. :D

P

On 2014-05-07 15:51, kkocka wrote:
Yeah there's a lot of uproar over the renovations, namely because they're taking out water feature: the giant welcoming waterfall. Lots of topics on this one.

Heck...I was already ticked that a few years ago they replaced all the live orchids in the lobby centerpiece water feature, with artificial orchids. For over 35 years when you walked into the Poly, you were greeted by the heady fragrance of those wonderful flowers along with the sounds of the falls. Magical.

I've heard other guests comment on the same. They walk in now and something's missing: That wonderful smell that was present all they way back to opening day.

It looks like they are making the Polynesian lobby a lot more spacious and static -- aka money saving -- similar to the other Disney resort lobbies. If I'm correct, the only other resort currently with an in-lobby water feature is Wilderness Lodge with the "spring" which starts in the rear-most portion of the lobby and feeds the outdoor river and the waterfalls and then flows into the pool.

The current Polynesian lobby has an interesting look and feel. That water feature plunked down in the middle makes a strong and grand initial statement that the "feel" of the place takes center stage. That will be missed when they replace it with a more generic but still somewhat Polynesian lobby.

I will stick my neck out to forecast that in 20 or 30 years there will be a sweeping retro movement in Disney and they'll bring back the grand central water feature. Drop me a note or an email or a cerebro-message in 2034 or 2044 with how you think my prediction went.

I wonder if what you actually were smelling was the orchids? A hugely common practice for companies (including Disney) is to use scent cannons to fill a room/area with a scent to make the guests feel calm/spend more money. People have been asking for the blend they use in the Bay Lake Towers for a while as well as the Sony store's scent.

As a lifelong WDW fan, I'm generally pleased that the Poly is getting the care and attention it deserves, but losing the fountain is a pretty big blow. WDW has a unique and special history not only for Tiki culture, but for Disney's trajectory in the industry, too. Those fountains and waterfalls have been there for nearly 45 years. It doesn't seem right to get rid of them now, especially when Disney touts the resort for being a bastion of guest memories. There's no real reason why the right upkeep and maint. can't be applied and the waterfalls left intact.

All of that said... bring on Sam's! Disneyland's is fantastic. Hope that Tiki Farm gets to create some new mugs for us East-coasters.

EE

On 2014-05-08 13:20, wizzard419 wrote:
I wonder if what you actually were smelling was the orchids? A hugely common practice for companies (including Disney) is to use scent cannons to fill a room/area with a scent to make the guests feel calm/spend more money. People have been asking for the blend they use in the Bay Lake Towers for a while as well as the Sony store's scent.

It's a mix of the flowers, the water, gas from the torches, and, yes, mold. WDW uses smellizers on Main Street USA and in EPCOT on Spaceship Earth and Soarin'. Poly's unique smell (which I really hope lingers) was just a biproduct of the place. :)

Don't forget, they also use the scent cannons in the hotels too. Which again leads me to suspect that what you were smelling was manufactured since things like weather, time of year, etc. would make things inconsistent.

D
dtel posted on Fri, May 16, 2014 8:07 AM

Another news story

The new look will set the tone for visitors to the Polynesian, which opened with Walt Disney World in 1971.

"You'll feel you have arrived in a relaxing South Seas kind of experience," said Tom Wolber, senior vice president for resort operations.

For decades, the centerpiece of the Great Ceremonial Hall has been a large waterfall. It is going to be removed. More space is needed because of the amount of foot traffic at the Polynesian, Disney officials have said. Even more people will be there after the Disney Vacation Club opens waterfront villas at the Polynesian next year.

"I think this will provide a lot of relief and open space and give everybody enough room," said Debbie Petersen, creative development executive for Walt Disney Imagineering. The waterfall removal also will enable guests to see the lagoon from the lobby.

But losing that structure upsets some Disney traditionalists. Keith Mahne, who lives in New Orleans and visits Disney World annually, started a petition on the activist website change.org. It has more than 1,800 virtual signatures.

"It's the first thing you see as you enter the lobby, and it brings with it a wonderful sense of nostalgia and past trips, particularly of childhood," Mahne said. "To me, it's an important piece of heritage not only to the resort but to Walt Disney World as a whole."

Anxiety sometimes climbs during the planning stages, Wolber said.

"I think for the vast majority of our guests, they will absolutely love what we're going to do with this resort," he said.

Changes will be apparent from the roadway, Petersen said.

"The marquee will have lava rock, it will have flowing water, it will have tiki torches and hibiscus flowers," she said. "It is the thing that says you have arrived at this fantasy, destiny, tropical island that is so, so Disney."

Lava rock will dominate the resort's remodeled pool area, which will include a view of the lagoon and a 12-person spa. The pool's deck size will increase by more than 30 percent, Wolber said. He expects the area to be "more energetic and guest-friendly."

Inside, Captain Cook's restaurant already is closed for renovation. Additions to the Polynesian will be Trader Sam's, a themed lounge that's popular at Disneyland, and Pineapple Lanai, a dedicated spot to sell Dole Whip, a treat originally sold exclusively at Magic Kingdom.

[ Edited by: dtel 2014-05-16 08:08 ]

This is why the die-hards are some of the worst people, they literally lose their shit at the smallest of changes and want the parks/resorts to be a museum.

On 2014-05-16 08:07, dtel wrote:
More space is needed because of the amount of foot traffic at the Polynesian, Disney officials have said. Even more people will be there after the Disney Vacation Club opens waterfront villas at the Polynesian next year.

Ahhh, so there ya go, they need more room to increase capacity while also maintaining safety and the aesthetics of the place. The waterfall is a huge feature. Taking it out and re-decorating and freshening things up is a less disruptive and less costly option to do what they need to do. Disney decorates very well, so we can rest assured knowing that they will not be cobbling something crappy together. And they are expanding the property and adding attractions which will increase the interest and the draw to this location.

It's hard sometimes to be both nostalgic and practical. The "museum" comment is a good one to think about. Still, the waterfall feature will be missed.

G

The new lobby was unveiled today: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2014/12/photos-new-lobby-at-disneys-polynesian-village-resort-unveiled/

[ Edited by: Greg_D_R 2014-12-19 18:34 ]

Thanks for posting the update...the lights and upholstery are good. Guess I was expecting some Tiki Torches and Tikis...hmmmmmmmmm.

Maybe they will dig a pit and roast a pig.

On 2014-12-19 21:15, VampiressRN wrote:
Thanks for posting the update...the lights and upholstery are good. Guess I was expecting some Tiki Torches and Tikis...hmmmmmmmmm.

Maybe they will dig a pit and roast a pig.

I seem to remember a press release a year or so back, in which the "cheesy" tiki asthetic was disparaged, in favor of a scrubbed-clean, offensive to no one, Polynesian Paradise look? The fishing float lamps and tapa patterns are still there, but I get the feeling that actual Tikis cross some sort of PC line? Just trying to think like a publicist here. They still have plenty of them in the Enchanted Tiki Room, of course, but they're relegated to 2D hall art at the Resort, is the impression I get.

G

I'm still crying over the loss of the spectacular waterfall garden in the lobby and at first glance at these photos, I admit I was dismissing the lamps and glass floats hanging from the ceiling. Mostly I think because the look is perhaps a bit too "clean" or industrial even. But I am grateful for the inclusion of those floats and lamps. They are very familiar and required elements of Tiki decor and I'm glad they're there. Many (MANY!) hotel guests who are Tiki-unaware will pass through the front doors of the hotel and see those lamps, carved booths and patterned carpeting and will forever associate that with Tiki or "Polynesian" style. And with the addition of Trader Sam's, Mom and Dad will get their first taste of old school (hopefully) rum-fueled Tiki cocktails and will also associate that with Tiki living, style and vacationing. All together it builds awareness among the general public and helps keeps what we love alive in the world that is outside of our home Tiki bars.

So... yay! :)

Pages: 1 17 replies