Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tequila

Pages: 1 42 replies

J
Jay4 posted on Thu, Jun 26, 2014 12:12 PM

so whats the difference between tequila thats 100 percent agave and stuff that isnt.i bought this margerita mix that came with an actual bottle of tequila,but i found out it isnt 100 percent agave and it only tastes good mixed with the margerita mix.for something to do shots with or mix in something like orange juice should i of picked some silver tequila that was 100 percent agave

[ Edited by: Jay4 2014-06-26 12:14 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jun 26, 2014 12:44 PM

The Grammar Police are appalled and the Spelling Police are slightly disappointed.

The Grammar Police would like to point out that letters at the beginning of a sentence should be capitalized and the letter i should be capitalized when used as a word. Also, your first and last sentences should end with a question mark.

The Spelling Police want you to know "should i of picked" is wrong. It should be "should I have picked".

Can't help you with an answer about the choice of tequila----- if you ARE old enough to drink. :D

Good luck.

Just checked some of your previous 16 posts, and the Grammar and Spelling Police don't want to just give you a ticket, they think you should serve time in jail for offenses against the English language, but don't let that stop you from posting. :)

[ Edited by: GROG 2014-06-26 12:48 ]

If it not 100% agave, you should not buy it in my opinion. Take it for free and serve margs to your acquaintances with it. Many of the 100% agave tequilas taste horrible as well. I use Don Julio. If you want a cheaper tequila I use El Jimador. I would stay away from Cuervo and Sauza. Most big companies just mass produce it so it is cheap and not good tasting. Try a margarita with a good tequila and then another with a cheap one back to back. You will be able to tell the difference.

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2014-06-26 13:01 ]

I don't have an answer for the actual question. However, the first problem I noticed is that you purchased margarita MIX!
The second is that it came with free tequila. If liquor comes with a mixer in the package it should be left on the shelf. :)

You are breaking all of our drinking laws!

A

On 2014-06-26 12:44, GROG wrote:
The Grammar Police are appalled and the Spelling Police are slightly disappointed...

I actually LOLed! :)

Blue agave is the cactus that tequila is made of (I think there are different types of cactus that can be used). The centre of the cactus is baked, then squashed & the juice fermented & distilled (something like that) to become tequila.

A tequila that isn't 100% blue agave contains other liquids other than the product of the above process (eg fructose & glucose). These non 100% blue agave tequila are also known as mixto tequilas. To my mind, Jose Cuervo is the a-typical mixto tequila but there are far worse!

Tequilas can also be roughly subdivided in to Blanco (the white), Respardo (the rested - medium aged) & Anejo (the aged).

It's a matter of taste beyond that. I went to Mexico & tried tons of different tequilas (like 30+) - I brought home El Jimador Blanco & Hennadura Respardo so I recommend them (& also liked Don Julio Anejo).

A

On 2014-06-26 15:40, AdOrAdam wrote:
Blue agave is the cactus that tequila is made of (I think there are different types of cactus that can be used). The centre of the cactus is baked, then squashed & the juice fermented & distilled (something like that) to become tequila.

Not to be horticultural nerd, but agave is not a cactus, although both are succulent plants. However, the tequila process you describe is basically correct.

"I am Lono!" -- Hunter S. Thompson

[ Edited by: arriano 2014-06-27 15:35 ]

I certainly am not a qualified expert on any alcohols, but prefer the clear ones (gin & white tequila). I am too old to do shots any more...LOL, but I do love on the rocks margaritas and prefer Patron.

Tequila, like rum, brandy, etc. has cheap shit that you slam down in shots at a party and higher grade stuff that is to be consumed neat.

My favorite that I can remember is Casa Noble Añejo single barel. Can't buy that one very often!

Not to poop on Patrón but, it is sometimes called 'shampoo' tequila. :D

This thread my need to be moved to "Fiesta Central."

Edit: forgot my emoticon!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2014-06-27 16:35 ]

Tiki drinks that use tequila are Bum's Rush, the Yellow Boxer, and Jim's Special.
Jim's Special is the drink created by Mike and Mike of Tki Ti with a big assist from Jah Jim of Tiki Central. My fave is Bum's Rush.

A

On 2014-06-27 15:34, arriano wrote:
Not to be horticultural nerd, but agave is not a cactus, although both are succulent plants. However, the tequila process you describe is basically correct...

Nerd away, I stand corrected :)

On 2014-06-27 16:32, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Not to poop on Patrón but, it is sometimes called 'shampoo' tequila. :D

I wouldn't go that far because Patron is way better than the Cuervo which the world so madly embraces. But I will pass up any Patron any day in favor of Don Julio.

I quit drinking tequila 31 years ago when I woke up half-nekkid on a mountain side in the desert behind Barstow, CA, with my girlfriend in the same condition on an adjacent slope. (Then SHE drove me home.) 3 years ago Don Julio brought me back to tequila with open arms and the bottle is now prominently displayed on a middle shelf of my home bar. Shots and sips of Patron, as I re-tested the waters, were never able to do that.

RB

Tequila, like rum, brandy, etc. has cheap shit that you slam down in shots at a party and higher grade stuff that is to be consumed neat.

Brandy shots? Out of tiny snifters? :D

Actually, I've seen that, I think they called it "fancy frat party", but usually people just make them into other "shot drinks".

KD

I once had the honor of drinking a "Jim's Special" at Tiki Ti, next to Rasta Jim himself (at his urging, naturally). It's really good, and makes me wonder why there aren't more rum/tequila cocktails out there.

There are, but there aren't a ton that would be tiki, and most people don't order true cocktails but rather a spirit and mixer drink.

J
Jay4 posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2014 4:32 PM

hmm,just an update

i bought this margarita mix thats non alcoholic(its actually mango flavored margarita mix) and a bottle of el jimador anejo tequila but is 4 oz to much tequila to use.it seems like the flavor of the tequila overpowers the flavor of the margarita and ive seen people post their own margarita recipes and they only use like 1.5 oz of tequila

[ Edited by: Jay4 2014-07-08 16:33 ]

[ Edited by: Jay4 2014-07-08 16:36 ]

Jay4, I think your missing the point of many of the comments
while no one is saying we can't discuss Non-Tiki drinks

We are Cocktail snobs, purists, perfectionists here
and no one here (who enjoys being flamed, anyway) would
even consider using a premix of anything, it is all about fresh ingredients
from scratch, this is the only way you are going to get a quality cocktail

Mixes are for amateurs, Frats & Sororities, so we strongly
encourage you to pickup a quality Cocktail guide (or ask here)
and get serious about making real drinks.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-07-08 17:16 ]

I'm trying to remember if that type is used in most margaritas... usually the stuff that mixes call for is the blanco since they do not want to compete and the nature of a frozen/blended margarita brings out bad flavors in nicer quality stuff.

Crappy Koolaid Margarita mixes have created a consumer society that has no clue what a Real Margarita tastes like and no appreciation for tequila as a traditional handcrafted spirit.

A true Margarita is made with this recipe:

1 1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz triple sec
1 oz lime

Triple Sec is cheap and now limes are cheap again. This will work much better than any mixers. You can play around with the ratios to your taste. You can add mango or blueberry or agave or anything else you would like to make it more towards your taste. You can sub out Curacao or Grand Mariner for the Triple Sec. It is fun making drinks from scratch, I promise.

Oh yeah, squeeze your own limes. Don't buy packaged lime juice.

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2014-07-08 19:06 ]

A

On 2014-07-08 17:16, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
No one is saying we can't discuss Non-Tiki drinks

We are Cocktail snobs, purists, perfectionists here... it is all about fresh ingredients
from scratch... Mixes are for amateurs

We strongly encourage you to pickup a quality cocktail guide

Err, yeah, what he said.

On 2014-07-08 19:04, lunavideogames wrote:

1 1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz triple sec
1 oz lime

It is fun making drinks from scratch, I promise...

I add a little sugar if required to that margarita recipe & agree making drinks from scratch is fun - you can elevate a drink from just being 'ok' to 'much better' or 'great' by getting the balance right to your taste buds.

The reason tequila isnt as discussable (for me) is that I find it a bit samey, rum is a corner stone of far many more drinks.

A

Ps good job trying another Tequila tho Jay4 - what do you think of it?

O

1 1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz triple sec
1 oz lime

Triple Sec is cheap and now limes are cheap again. This will work much better than any mixers. You can play around with the ratios to your taste. You can add mango or blueberry or agave or anything else you would like to make it more towards your taste. You can sub out Curacao or Grand Mariner for the Triple Sec. It is fun making drinks from scratch, I promise.

Oh yeah, squeeze your own limes. Don't buy packaged lime juice.

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2014-07-08 19:06 ]

I prefer to add Monin Organic Agave Syrup instead of the triple sec, although most any agave nectar will work just fine. The tricky part is calculating the tartness of the lime, due to the inherent uniqueness of each individual lime.

Based upon my experimentation, 3/4 oz satisfies a woman!

Also, suggest upping the tequila to 2oz.

On 2014-07-09 06:59, Oxybeles wrote:

1 1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz triple sec
1 oz lime

I prefer to add Monin Organic Agave Syrup instead of the triple sec, although most any agave nectar will work just fine. The tricky part is calculating the tartness of the lime, due to the inherent uniqueness of each individual lime.

Based upon my experimentation, 3/4 oz satisfies a woman!

Also, suggest upping the tequila to 2oz.

The Agave Syrup is good, but don't skip the Triple Sec, it is a surprisingly important part of the drink!

It may not seem like that much in the drink, but it is there for a reason.... it brings out some of the subtle flavors of your tequilia and plays well with the citrus.

If you want a truly enjoyable drink and don't mind spending the bucks to stock your bar, go top-shelf.... the Cadillac if you prefer, and use a 100% Silver Agave Tequilia, Fresh Lime, and Cointreau. Shake the hell out of it, strain it into a cocktail glass, salt half the rim of the glass and garnish with a wheel of fresh citrus.

If you are still wanting it on the sweet side, use Grand Marnier instead.

I tried a mezcal tequila last night - Vida - from Oaxaca, Mexico. It was interesting because the maguey plant it is made from is toasted or burned more completely than usual and the tequila retains a fair amount of smoky flavor. It is certified organic and made an interesting and very unique cocktail. It was definitely surprising because the syrups and other ingredients in the drink actually produced some notes of bacon. Yes, bacon.

Posted here as an FYI in case you run into this tequila so you can try it.

D
djmont posted on Wed, Jul 9, 2014 2:16 PM

These days, I drink more Margaritas than any other cocktail. After much experimentation, here is my recipe:

2 oz. Blanco Tequila
1 oz. Triple Sec
3/4 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
1/4 oz. Agave Nectar

You must use a 100% agave tequila. If the label doesn't state "100% agave," that means it's a "mixto" tequila, which can include all kinds of things in it that you don't want. (This is one of the reasons people often report having bad experiences with tequila.) You can use a Reposado or Anejo tequila instead of a Blanco if you wish, but it's generally not the best use of it I don't think.

Some of my favorite blancos: Don Julio, Tapatio, Espolon, Olmeca Altos, Pueblo Viejo, Avion, Milagro.

Most triple secs are vile, so I generally recommend sticking with Cointreau. There's a reason it costs more -- it's the best.

If you like your drink extra limey, you can up the juice to a full ounce.

Generally speaking, if you like it a little more tart, you can omit the agave. If you like it a little sweeter, add a little more agave. In my opinion, the triple sec alone isn't enough to balance the lime.

Salud!

Try the Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao. Now we're talking!

I too dropped triple sec for agave nectar in margaritas a few years ago, and i've never looked back!

Been doing more of the margaritas with agave instead of triple sec the past couple years as well. In its price range, Corralejo Reposado is my tequila of choice. A great sipper but also a versitile mixer that isn't so expensive you mind mixing with it.

Ace, I love all the Del Maguey mezcals but the Vida is about the only one I can afford. It was originally intended to sell at a < $30 price point but the few stores around me that carry it sell it for a little more than that. If you get a chance to play around mixing with Mezcal, I have found it really plays well with both pineapple juice and Calvados.

For folks in striking distance of a Total Wine, do yourself a favor and try a bottle of the San Matias Legado blanco tequila. An $11(!!) 100% agave tequila with a great, bright and nicely peppery flavor, makes a great Paloma and a great Margarita. I think it might be the best booze bargain out there right now.

I don't know if I would drop the orange for agave on it's own. I usually use GM and Agave (though I scale back the nectar since I detest sweet) because it seems like you would be missing a note. Similar to a bay leaf, you don't totally notice the presence but you know when it's gone.

On 2014-07-09 19:11, wizzard419 wrote:
I don't know if I would drop the orange for agave on it's own. I usually use GM and Agave (though I scale back the nectar since I detest sweet) because it seems like you would be missing a note. Similar to a bay leaf, you don't totally notice the presence but you know when it's gone.

I certainly thought the same thing before trying a Margarita with just Tequila, lime juice, and a 1:1 agave:water syrup. I really don't think the drink suffers for lack of the triple sec, but you should try it and decide for yourself.

My wife's favorite margarita is one from Alton Brown that uses agave syrup and muddled fesh orange and lime and leaves out the triple sec. Great orange flavor, nice mingling of the tequila and agave syrup and it works quite well without the triple sec. You have to be in the mood for an orange-forward margarita, but when you are this one hits the spot.

On 2014-07-09 18:35, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
For folks in striking distance of a Total Wine, do yourself a favor and try a bottle of the San Matias Legado blanco tequila. An $11(!!) 100% agave tequila with a great, bright and nicely peppery flavor, makes a great Paloma and a great Margarita. I think it might be the best booze bargain out there right now.

i second this!

Never was a fan of TS, I usually go for GM because the other stuff has no depth.

yesterday i sampled the blanco and the reposado of the new Casamigos tequila, apparently part-owned by George Clooney.

let's just say that Mr. Clooney shouldn't quit his day job any time soon...

E

On 2014-06-26 12:12, Jay4 wrote:
so whats the difference between tequila thats 100 percent agave and stuff that isnt.i bought this margerita mix that came with an actual bottle of tequila,but i found out it isnt 100 percent agave and it only tastes good mixed with the margerita mix.for something to do shots with or mix in something like orange juice should i of picked some silver tequila that was 100 percent agave

[ Edited by: Jay4 2014-06-26 12:14 ]

hi jay. try milagro tequila or espolon tequila they are good and not expensive but if you want somethig really nice then get a bottle of claze azul it should run you about 80-85 dollars but its worth every penny.

On 2014-06-27 17:17, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Tiki drinks that use tequila are Bum's Rush, the Yellow Boxer, and Jim's Special.
Jim's Special is the drink created by Mike and Mike of Tki Ti with a big assist from Jah Jim of Tiki Central. My fave is Bum's Rush.

Eric, here’s one for you and it is Tiki.
Cheers

El Diablo
Juice from 1/2 lime
1 1/2 oz. tequila
1/2 oz
creme de cassis
4-6 oz ginger beer
Squeeze lime into hiball glass.

Squeeze lime into hiball glass-drop in shell.
add ice,tequila,and cassis.
fill glass with ginger beer and stir lightly. garnish with orange peel twist.

I'd add Tiki Ti's version of the Blood and Sand to the Tequila-meets-Tiki cocktail list.

[ Edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2014-09-18 09:29 ]

I'd say if a "certified" Tiki drink like a Tropical Itch can contain Bourbon, then bring on the Tequila. On a related note, I'm certainly finding more cocktails (in Chicago) mixing Rum or Whiskey with Mezcal

K

Earlier this year I was making my usual Margaritas and wondered what a little cinnamon syrup would do.

3 parts Reposado tequila - I like a little wood in my booze
2 parts fresh lime juice - just like a tiki drink there is no substitute for fresh lime juice
1 part (to taste) agave nectar/syrup
1/2 part cinnamon syrup - was a friend's handmade triple cinnamon syrup

From time to time I'll also add a little meyer lemon juice as well.

Hmmm... now I wonder if a little Don's Mix or Don's Spices would work well?

If anyone needs me tonight I'll be in my bar...

T

On 2014-06-26 12:44, GROG wrote:
The Grammar Police are appalled and the Spelling Police are slightly disappointed.

The Grammar Police would like to point out that letters at the beginning of a sentence should be capitalized and the letter i should be capitalized when used as a word. Also, your first and last sentences should end with a question mark.

The Spelling Police want you to know "should i of picked" is wrong. It should be "should I have picked".

Can't help you with an answer about the choice of tequila----- if you ARE old enough to drink. :D

Good luck.

Just checked some of your previous 16 posts, and the Grammar and Spelling Police don't want to just give you a ticket, they think you should serve time in jail for offenses against the English language, but don't let that stop you from posting. :)

[ Edited by: GROG 2014-06-26 12:48 ]

Jay4 Made only one more post after this one and is MIA to this day.

Pages: 1 42 replies