Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The drinks of Tiki Ti, Los Angeles

Pages: 1 29 replies

A

Tiki-Ti is a tiki bar opened in the 60s in Los Angeles.

I've noticed there aren't a lot of Tiki-Ti recipes circulating about (probably because they keep them secret) but the some of ones I've tried are mighty good drinks...

I have:

Puka Punch (Intoxica)
Cuba Kula (from Sippin Safari)
Jims Special (from Sippin Safari)

So I thought I'd cast the net TC-ward.

Has anyone got any published recipes from the Tiki-Ti?

No, they keep them hidden and haven't released any to the public as far as I know. I doubt that they will ever write a book, the place is packed everyday and they make plenty of $$$. Jim's Special was released because it was a recipe by Jah Jim and not one of the family members. I am not sure if those other 2 recipes that you have are their actual recipes or not.

I remember talking with them about it. They basically told me that the Jim's Special is the only one they allowed to get out. You will just have to make it across the pond to experience these amazing cocktails.

The quest for the Ray's Mistake recipe alone could be the Mother of all TC threads. Long may they pour!

Here is a picture of an older menu. They are near 100 menu items. I wish I could make drinks as good as Tiki Ti does.

W
wupput posted on Tue, Jun 9, 2015 7:01 PM

I'm going to Tiki Ti tomorrow. This will be my first time back since I started educating myself about and mixing tiki drinks.

What to get?! I am definitely planning on starting with a Ray's Mistake. But after that, considering my options. I've had their Mai Tai, Bayahanian, and Penang before, so skipping those. But so many choices! Bonnie and Clyde looks intriguing, as does Top Secret and Stealth. Anything really remarkable I need to try? Any and all tips welcome.

Some of my favorites are:

151 Rum Swizzle
Puka Puka
Burnt Hawaiian
Ooga Booga
Dr Funk (although not for everyone)

Should give you a start on some suggestions. :)

Oh yeah, and enjoy! Cheers.

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2015-06-09 19:15 ]

Ray's Mistake
Ooga Booga
Blood & Sand
Jim's Special

W
wupput posted on Tue, Jun 9, 2015 8:07 PM

Thanks guys. Is the Puka Puka similar at all to a Puka Punch or is it a completely different drink?

I'm definitely tempted to get the 151 Swizzle since it is one I make at home regularly and I'd like to see how they compare. But I'm also intrigued by things I've never seen before, like the Sumatra Kula (green drinks? How degenerate!) and the Bonnie and Clyde. I had a Dr. Funk off menu at Trader Sam's. I might have to avoid the really large drinks, or super strong drinks like Jim's Special if I want to have more than 2....

K

I recommend skipping anything you can make yourself via Jeff Berry (Puka Punch, 151 Swizzle - though theirs is good, and Jim's Special). Try the stuff you definitely wouldn't make at home or can't make due to ingredients. My note to myself from the Blood & Sand was "good for the show but i'll definitely pass next time."

I try to order stuff that is complex and flavorful as usually it means lots of ingredients that are a pain to make at home. :D

If you can't decide, spin the wheel.

W

Great advice kkocka.

The Burnt Hawaiian sounded complex and delicious but I don't see it on their menu. Can you order it off-menu?

Right now the plan is:

1. Ray's Mistake - it's only $5 on Wed!
  2. Sumatra Kula (I can't make green drinks at home!)
  3. ???? Possibly Rum Barrel, Caribbean Limbo, Firefly?

Ordering drinks at a bar never used to be this hard!

stay on mission Wupput-- your target for TikiCentral is to alternate drinking the Anting Anting and the Ray's Mistake, until your palate discerns the ingredients so we can finally replicate them at home...

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2015-06-10 11:08 ]

The Dr Funk is going to be better than anywhere I have ever tried one. The Puka Puka is a lot different than the Puka Punch. Puka Punch is a new menu item. Sad if the Burnt Hawaiian is not on the menu anymore, but it is the last in the "mixed liquors" section on the menu I posted. It is an $18 drink that has like 30 ingredients. Crazy to watch Mike Sr mix it up for you.

I agree with Keith that the Blood & Sand is not something you would want to get if you don't make it to Tiki Ti often. It is a drink to have if you have had the worst day of your life, or if you want one drink before you go to sleep. I think it is the equivilant of taking 4 shots of tequila in a short amount of time. I have had it once and I was drunk half way through. It is a good drink, don't get me wrong, just way over the top.

All the drinks at Tiki Ti are great. You can't go wrong. Just grab whatever looks good at the time!

Cheers!

AF

Try the most popular drink at the Tiki before the Ray's Mistake was invented...the Fog Cutter!

C
Corie posted on Thu, Jun 25, 2015 9:40 PM

On 2015-06-10 09:59, wupput wrote:
The Burnt Hawaiian sounded complex and delicious but I don't see it on their menu. Can you order it off-menu?

I'm sure you can. This is what I had when I spun the wheel and it wasn't on the menu at the time. It was tasty!

J
Jeje posted on Thu, Jul 2, 2015 10:36 AM

The Virgin Island Kula is also a Tiki Ti drink. The recipe is published in Potions OTC. This one is really tasty.

Does anyone know what the "kula" in the name comes from and what it means? there´s a couple different "kula" drinks out there and i`m curious what the name means and what makes a drink a "kula"?

J
Jeje posted on Sat, Jul 4, 2015 12:15 PM

Off topic, but I tried the Virgin Island Kula again. This time with a couple of "mistakes". I hoped it would turn into a Ray´s Mistake (a drink that I have never tried...). Unfortunately the mistake became a bit too sweet and the passion fruit got a bit too much. Anyway, here it is. My "mistake":

1 oz passion fruit syrup
1 oz Beefeater gin
1 oz Havana Club 3 Anos
1 oz lime juice
1 oz orange juice
0,5 oz vanilla syrup
0,5 oz orgeat
0,5 oz soda water
float 0,5 oz dark jamaican rum

[ Edited by: Jeje 2015-07-04 12:16 ]

K

On 2015-07-04 10:51, Little fragrant Tiare wrote:
Does anyone know what the "kula" in the name comes from and what it means? there´s a couple different "kula" drinks out there and i`m curious what the name means and what makes a drink a "kula"?

I believe it's just a spin on the word "cooler," indicating a cold refreshing drink. Like Cactus Cooler soda, or Kactus Kula at the Ti. :wink:

A

I tried out the Virgin Islands Kula - not for me, too sweet, not enough kick.

I had the Sumutra Kula (which I was inspired to make by Tiare's post) :)

JJ

Four Jim's Specials at the Tiki Ti.

W

At long last I'm heading back to my favorite place - Tiki Ti! - this Wed. Will have a Ray's Mistake but want to try something new. These were some ideas.
Can anyone shed any light on them?
*Space Pilot
*Scorpion
*Tiki Gold
*Hong Kong
*Top Secret
*Great White Shark

Drinks I've had there already: Bayanihan, Rum Barrel, Sumatra Kula, Painkiller, Ray's Mistake, 151 Swizzle.

On 2018-01-20 16:10, wupput wrote:
At long last I'm heading back to my favorite place - Tiki Ti! - this Wed. Will have a Ray's Mistake but want to try something new. These were some ideas.
*Space Pilot
*Scorpion
*Tiki Gold
*Hong Kong
*Top Secret
*Great White Shark

Drinks I've had there already: Bayanihan, Rum Barrel, Sumatra Kula, Painkiller, Ray's Mistake, 151 Swizzle.

I adore the Hong Kong, strong flavors of vanilla and passionfruit but with a nice tartness and lime oil-y finish from the fresh lime wedges. The Tiki Gold is like a bigger Beachcomber's Gold, also very nice.

K

On 2018-01-20 16:10, wupput wrote:
*Space Pilot

I was pretty disappointed in Space Pilot, pretty much just rum and lime-forward, nothing too memorable.

W

Thanks Pat - Hong Kong will be #2 on my list.

Thanks also for the advice on skipping the Space Pilot.
Anybody tried any of these?

Nui Nui - I've made a variation of this at home.
Pearl Diver
Vicious Virgin
Penang
Montego Bay
Tiki Ti Special
Songakura

W

Responding to myself - I seemed to remember making a Montego Bay at home. Looked it up, of course, its in Intoxica! I've tried all the drinks with pimento dram since I finally got a bottle of St. Elizabeths.

Pearl Diver is in Sippin' Safari.

Vicious Virgin is in Remixed.

Penang is probably related to Penang Afrididi, also from Sippin' Safari.

That leaves Sonakura and Tiki Ti Special as the real unknowns from my list. But Sonakura rings a bell from somewhere.

Any other stealth picks I'm overlooking? Has to be rum based and something I can't easily mix at home.

Also still thinking about that Great White Shark.

I seem to remember the Rum Barrel is really good there. But that may have been after 4 or five happy hour Rays Mistakes.

K

Their Nui Nui is fine. I'd skip the Pearl Diver because I'm relatively sure they aren't making a pearl batter so not sure on how authentic it tastes. I had one a few years back and can't give a reliable review.

On 2018-01-24 11:10, kkocka wrote:
Their Nui Nui is fine. I'd skip the Pearl Diver because I'm relatively sure they aren't making a pearl batter so not sure on how authentic it tastes. I had one a few years back and can't give a reliable review.

My recollection of TT's Pearl Diver is that it was made with orgeat. I don't remember hating it but I didn't like it enough to be lured away from my Fog Cutters and Hong Kongs.

On 2018-01-23 19:01, wupput wrote:
Responding to myself - I seemed to remember making a Montego Bay at home. Looked it up, of course, its in Intoxica! I've tried all the drinks with pimento dram since I finally got a bottle of St. Elizabeths.

Pearl Diver is in Sippin' Safari.

Vicious Virgin is in Remixed.

Penang is probably related to Penang Afrididi, also from Sippin' Safari.

That leaves Sonakura and Tiki Ti Special as the real unknowns from my list. But Sonakura rings a bell from somewhere.

Any other stealth picks I'm overlooking? Has to be rum based and something I can't easily mix at home.

Also still thinking about that Great White Shark.

Could the Sonakura be a take on the Sunakora? (Also a Don's drink that Beachbum Berry has decoded [at work so don't have access to my books, but it is in the TotalTiki app at least])

Pages: 1 29 replies