Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Amazing Tiki Shelf has rainstorm and volcano sound/lighting effects

Pages: 1 26 replies

This Tiki mug shelf has occasional rainstorm and volcano sound and lighting effects. It was built by Sam Towler who you may know as the creator of the miniature version of Disneyland's extinct ride, Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland. For this mug shelf, Sam programmed an Arduino Uno microcontroller board and utilizes an mp3 trigger from Sparkfun.

Here's a video of the Tiki Shelf in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWR2Z8C8c-M

And here is Sam's blog where his Winter 2015 update has more details on the Tiki Shelf project:
http://nwrr.blogspot.com/2015/02/winter-2015-update.html

I will take two!
we need more posts like this.

Seriously awesome.

Drat Hak, now I gotta redo my Happy talk Lounge/Sharkbite bar.
Mahalo for an awesome post!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-02-22 16:14 ]

That's delightful! Thanks for sharing!

D
Dood posted on Sun, Feb 22, 2015 5:37 PM

WELL DONE! This is really similar to what I've been trying to plan out.

This done with RGB/LED strips?

What ATP said. Thanks Hakalugi, this looks like the best waterless indoor rainstorm system yet and is truly an inspiration. The volcano cinches it. Previously we were thinking of color organs and strobe, like these:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070717121812/http://degroof.blogspot.com/2006/08/thunderstorm-in-box.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20071125033317/http://degroof.blogspot.com/2006/08/thunderstorm-in-box-mk-ii.html

Haunted house and Halloween forums have some info. But the heavy strobe lightning those displays tend to have don't get the feel of a tropical rainstorm like Sam's does. And the mp3 and LED lighting is easier and safer to work with than a 70s color organ.

http://www.horrorseek.com/home/halloween/wolfstone/ThunderAndLightning/clsint_LightningSimulation.html

http://www.spookyblue.com/halloween/lightning_machine/

H

On 2015-02-22 17:37, Dood wrote:

Good question, Sam Towler's blog doesn't really specify. The YouTube text does mention RGB LED's. It looks like he has one RGB strip going across the front and then a second RGB source/channel inside the "volcano" on the left. If you go to Sam's blog (link in first post), you can post your question in his comments section. Maybe he'll share the details.

Indeed and awesome shelf. Really adds life and bet in real life it is mood provoking. Thanks for sharing Haka.

Now that's real cool.
Just like living in S. Fl.
with out the volcano part.

That is BEYOND awesome!! I wish more Tiki Bars would do this!!

The Kahiki did!!! :)

The Arduino kits are cool. You could really animate your tiki lounge by utilizing those.

That is way beyond bad ass

Wish I didn't drink so much Rum, or I'd try this on my bar.

-Longboard

Way to cool. I love this. :D

TT

Well I'm Inspired!

Just picked up an Arduino Uno and a MP3 Trigger and I'm currently going through the slow process of learning how to program these things. Once I get this figured out I might make this available in a kit including the program. I'm planning on extending on this for my own use. I want a dancing cobra for when I'm playing Misirlou.

[ Edited by: Tiki Toli 2015-04-03 11:27 ]

On 2015-04-03 11:26, Tiki Toli wrote:
Just picked up an Arduino Uno and a MP3 Trigger and I'm currently going through the slow process of learning how to program these things.

Keep us posted! I recently picked up a Raspberry Pi and am heading in a similar direction as well. MP3 triggering as well as lighting effect controls are my ultimate interest. I just don't have much time, so there won't be much progress for a while on this. But still, it's definitely in the realm of possibility to try to use these devices.

Great tiki shelf!! Does anyone happen to know the name of the song played in the tiki shelf video? It's used in the film Escape from Tomorrow where the Disney tourist family is swimming in the pool. They also shot some footage for the film in the DLR Enchanted Tiki Room. If anyone out there is a Disney fan, check this film out! It's a horror film secretly shot in Disney World & Disneyland.

H

On 2015-04-28 15:54, Enchanted Tiki Guy wrote:
Great tiki shelf!! Does anyone happen to know the name of the song played in the tiki shelf video? It's used in the film Escape from Tomorrow where the Disney tourist family is swimming in the pool. They also shot some footage for the film in the DLR Enchanted Tiki Room. If anyone out there is a Disney fan, check this film out! It's a horror film secretly shot in Disney World & Disneyland.

"Pearly Shells" performed by the Billy Hew Len and Barney Isaacs, Jr. (All-Star Hawaiian Band) on the album Steel Guitar Magic.

Well I'm Inspired!

Just picked up an Arduino Uno and a MP3 Trigger and I'm currently going through the slow process of learning how to program these things. Once I get this figured out I might make this available in a kit including the program. I'm planning on extending on this for my own use. I want a dancing cobra for when I'm playing Misirlou.

How's the progress going on this? I love this idea!

TT

On 2015-04-29 09:13, Biotron2000 wrote:

Well I'm Inspired!

How's the progress going on this? I love this idea!

Slow real life has been getting in the way. I'll post something when I have it

On 2015-02-22 18:23, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2015-02-22 17:37, Dood wrote:

Good question, Sam Towler's blog doesn't really specify. The YouTube text does mention RGB LED's. It looks like he has one RGB strip going across the front and then a second RGB source/channel inside the "volcano" on the left. If you go to Sam's blog (link in first post), you can post your question in his comments section. Maybe he'll share the details.

After rereading the Winter Update page I just figured out that the candle on the left is an Arduino controlled LED, too:

I developed some code that would create a realistic candle flicker when I was programming my Tiki shelf.

I'm also enjoying Mr. Towler's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" build videos, and would love to see something like his Rain Effect used with a "porthole".

H

On 2015-05-08 13:04, freddiefreelance wrote:

After rereading the Winter Update page I just figured out that the candle on the left is an Arduino controlled LED, too:

I developed some code that would create a realistic candle flicker when I was programming my Tiki shelf.

Good catch! That makes at least three channels of controlled LEDs identified.

K
Kanu posted on Wed, May 13, 2015 5:06 PM

That's fantastic! My wife and I are currently mapping something similar using Phillips Hue lights and an android app (expands the possibility to an entire room fairly quickly). I'll dip back in if we ever get it far enough to share.

I'm actually making an arduino powered version of Trader Sam's window like this. I have the island carved and am working on the programming for the lights to make the "sun" rise maybe have a storm roll through, have a volcano erupt, and then have the sun set again.

TT

On 2015-05-14 06:44, Overproof Mike wrote:
I'm actually making an arduino powered version of Trader Sam's window like this. I have the island carved and am working on the programming for the lights to make the "sun" rise maybe have a storm roll through, have a volcano erupt, and then have the sun set again.

Mike we need to talk, I was also planning on doing the Enchanted Tiki room window as well.

H
harro posted on Thu, Jun 9, 2016 5:49 AM

Anyone have any progress on their projects mentioned above??

I'd like to learn a bit more about this stuff...

Looks cool.

Yes! Updates please! You guys should get kickbacks from Arduino cause I just popped their starter kit in my Amazon Cart!

Pages: 1 26 replies