Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Any Tiki Bars in San Jose area...

Pages: 1 31 replies

J

Hi guys. Just joined, my first ever thread/post here. I'm leaving for San Jose tomorrow morning (2/23/15) for two nights....driving up from Los Angeles where I live. I was wondering if there are any tiki bars in San Jose or along the way that are worthwhile stopping at. I searched the internet and San Jose looks pretty sparse in terms of Tiki. Thank you

There are a few -a bit out of the way for some folks.
If I was going to S J, I would drive the 86 miles Modesto just to visit Minnies-an old school tiki bar some might call a real dive. Just a short mile or so east of Minnie’s on the same street is the Tiki Lounge. Great A-frame structure but the T L is undergoing some changes right now. A short 40 something miles north is Forbidden Island which is my personal favorite. Great drinks and decor. On the way home Hula’s in Monterey (72 miles Southwest) is certainly worth a visit. I’d check the hours of operation before I’d drive out to any of em as they are a bit out of the way.
Good luck,have a safe trip!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-02-22 21:46 ]

Unfortunately, nothing tiki in San Jose. I keep hoping for it but no dice so far.

You can't go wrong with Forbidden Island as suggested.

There is also a Hula's Island Grill in Santa Cruz. It's mildly tiki but they have some decent drinks and Hawaiian fusion cuisine.
http://www.hulastiki.com

Drink List

HULAʼS MAI TAI
PAINKILLER
HULAʼS HURRICANE
LILIKOI MARGARITA
DR. FUNK​
BLOOD ORANGE MARTINI
THE PINK BIKINI MARTINI
ZOMBIE
ONE EYED PYRAT
HAWAII 5-0
DARK AND STORMY
TROPICAL ITCH
BLUE HAWAIIAN

• fm

Unfortunately the San Jose Trader Vic's closed a few years ago.
While not tiki, you should check out the Rosicrucian Museum, which has yhe 2nd largest permanent collection Egyptian artifacts in the US, as well as the Winchester Mystery House.

Hula's in Santa Cruz is not super tiki but they have a decent tiki drink selection and excellent service. When I was there I remember them having a nice mug collection on display as well as some witco masks on the front of the bar that are easy to miss if it is crowded.

J

Just an hour north, in San Francisco, you have Smuggler's Cove and the Tonga Room. Both worth the drive, just remember to bring a designated driver, or go in with a full stomach and ask the bartenders for lower-potency cocktails and pace yourself with water.

When I travel I search both Critiki and the Locating Tiki forum here on Tiki Central.

I've never been there but you could check-out the Hukilau.

Hope you have a good trip.

J

Thank you gentlemen, I really appreciate all the great pointers. I just arrived at my hotel in North San Jose. I've got some important drinkin decisions to make before heading to work tomorrow. Thanks again

On 2015-02-22 23:52, fez monkey wrote:

There is also a Hula's Island Grill in Santa Cruz. It's mildly tiki but they have some decent drinks and Hawaiian fusion cuisine.
http://www.hulastiki.com

• fm

Mahalo Fez, I was unaware of the Hula’s in Santa Cruz. According to their website they have a common owner. And only 32 miles from S J.

We have been a few times to Hula's in Monterey and in Santa Cruz. The happy hour is fun with discounted appetizers that are delicious. Happy Hunting, Wendy

I

If you're nice (and bring a bottle) you may be granted access to Notch's bar. It's cool, and hidden in a Hot Rod shop!

Search for Notch on here and send him a PM.

Trader Vic’s will open a full-service restaurant in Terminal B at San Jose Airport plus a smaller Trader Vic’s Outpost for grab-and-go customers.

The Mercury News:San Jose Airport adding Chick-Fil-A, Shake Shack, Trader Vic’s

On 2018-03-08 00:15, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Trader Vic’s will open a full-service restaurant in Terminal B at San Jose Airport

Cool! Would love to see them in more airports.

F

On 2018-03-08 00:15, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Trader Vic’s will open a full-service restaurant in Terminal B at San Jose Airport plus a smaller Trader Vic’s Outpost for grab-and-go customers.

The Mercury News:San Jose Airport adding Chick-Fil-A, Shake Shack, Trader Vic’s

I would love to see more TV's pop up domestically, even if just in airports. I hope this comes to fruition in San Jose.

When do you have old news and new news at the same time? I’m reporting today on the Trader Vic’s Mai Tai from Tiki Pete in San Jose. Tiki? San Jose? Surely you jest!

Well, that’s where the old news comes in, since Tiki Pete is the new name for the previously established Da Kine Island Grill in Downtown San Jose. Big Hawaiian vibe here, and a new tikified name in honor of Managing Director Pete Be. It doesn’t appear that the menu has changed substantially as part of the name change.

There are a number of Mai Tais on the menu, along with other tiki drinks, tropical cocktails, and beer and wine. The Mai Tais are:

• Trader Vic’s Mai Tai (Cruzan Light, Lahaina Dark, Orgeat, Curacao, Lime, Simple)
  • Tiki Pete Mai Tai (3 rums, served in a Pineapple)
  • Modern Mai Tai (sub Falernum for Orgeat) - Beachcomber Mai Tai (based on Don’s Mai Tai Swizzle, with Falernum, Grapefruit, Bitters, Pernod)
  • QB Cooler Mai Tai (based on Don’s cocktail that supposedly inspire the Mai Tai)

I tried the Trader Vic’s Mai Tai and it was … perfectly adequate. Not awesome. But definitely not bad. I do see that an earlier version of the Da Kine menu had this made with Appleton and Clement which I’m sure would taste better. But the current drink is $11 instead of $12 and I wonder if price was a factor for some patrons. Nonetheless, this was a light, refreshing Mai Tai.

We only popped in here last night but might give this place a try for dinner soon. This is obviously not a traditional Tiki Bar, but seems in some ways a far better tiki destination than the similar Hawaiian-themed Hukilau in nearby Japantown in San Jose. The later is listed in Critiki but Da Kine/Tiki Pete isn’t, for… reasons. Having felt that the cocktails were awful at Hukilau, I’ll take my chances and sample some of the others at Tiki Pete.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm9Y5WglyLE/?taken-by=ultimatemaitai

Kevin Crossman

Check out my Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/ultimatemaitai/

[ Edited by: kevincrossman 2018-10-27 11:25 ]

Had a pretty lousy experience at Tiki Pete last night. Drink orders that took FOREVER even after repeated asks. (and those drinks weren't very good). Appetizers that came 20 mins after the main course, no food came out together at the same time. Staff didn't handle the problems well.

Had a pretty lousy experience at Tiki Pete last night. Drink orders that took FOREVER even after repeated asks. (and those drinks weren't very good). Appetizers that came 20 mins after the main course, no food came out together at the same time. Staff didn't handle the problems well.

F

Did the TV is the airport terminal ever open?

I was told by a reliable source that the TV at the airport is still definitely happening, but won't open until second half 2019

S
santa posted on Fri, Feb 15, 2019 4:45 PM

Will only ticketed passengers in that terminal be able to access it?

And here's my full review of Bay Area Suburban Tiki including Hukilau (nice, but not really tiki) and Tiki Pete (nightmare)
http://www.tikiwithray.com/bay-area-suburban-tiki-mixed-bag-kevin-crossman-ultimate-mai-tai/

Also, Tiki Tom's in Walnut Creek (not bad for what it is) and Hula Hoops in South SF (star pupil).

F

On 2019-02-05 08:03, kevincrossman wrote:
I was told by a reliable source that the TV at the airport is still definitely happening, but won't open until second half 2019

Kevin, I hope so! I don’t get to that airport much anymore, but would just love to see TV expand, even incrementally, in the States again. It amazes me they haven’t pursued it more given how mainstream “tiki” has gotten over the last half decade.
I figured the deal must have fallen through, but will keep hope alive. :wink:

Did your source have any more insight as to what the delays were related to?

"these things take time". Also, airports...

I am also not sure why Vic's isn't making a comeback in the USA. Especially if they went "smaller and not so high rent" in terms of locations.

S
santa posted on Fri, Aug 2, 2019 5:29 AM

Is trader Vic’s San Jose open now?

S
santa posted on Fri, Aug 2, 2019 5:29 AM

Is trader Vic’s San Jose open now?

Vic's at SJC not open yet

F

If only there was an emoticon here for drumming my fingers waiting for San Jose Airport TV to come to fruition. :wink:

I heard January is the next most likely opening date for Vic's at SJC

F

On 2019-09-09 07:56, kevincrossman wrote:
I heard January is the next most likely opening date for Vic's at SJC

Stop teasing me, Mr. Ultimate MaiTai!

:wink:

This article indicates Trader Vic’s thinks they may open the SJ Airport location by year end 2019.

https://www.eater.com/2019/11/11/20953353/trader-vics-locations-comeback-tiki

Interesting that Trader Vics corporate is finally getting back in the game domestically....just as the Tiki resurgence has probably hit its apex. Where ya been guys? Not sure about their Senor Pico strategy, but god blessem for trying.

Braise Willow Glen is doing a Tiki Sunday popup every week from 3:00-8:00.

Excellent drinks...

Writeup here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4_mVhbgEFk/

And Best Mai Tai in San Jose here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5BImPGgxhg/

Pages: 1 31 replies