Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Official Announcement of The Hukilau 2015

Pages: 1 39 replies

The Hukilau 2015 is in full swing as we prepare for June! We hope to have as many of you there as possible! Here are the details on what should be an incredible year!

Now in its 14th year, The Hukilau is the heartbeat of the Tiki scene on the U.S. East Coast. I was prepared to make last year's event the grand finale, but a new partnership has enabled me to keep the event alive!!

The Hukilau
June 10 - 14, 2015

Hosted in the Iconic Hyatt Regency Pier 66 for the first time! Book Your Room Now!

Of course – get all the details in full Technicolor on our website: The Hukilau

EVENT OVERVIEW

Our annual gathering of Polynesian Pop enthusiasts in Fort Lauderdale known as The Hukilau limbos into a new era in 2015 with a major hotel change, plus more live music, expert symposiums, artists and vendors than ever before.

The June 10-14 event will be headquartered in the Hyatt Regency Pier 66, a mid-century landmark that towers 17 stories above the south end of Fort Lauderdale Beach. Events will also be held at The Mai-Kai, the historic Tiki restaurant that has been home base for The Hukilau since 2003.

-- Master of Ceremonies for the last 13 years, King Kukulele is ever present guiding us through our daily activities!

-- Sail with us on the “Three Hour Tour” cruise with Dawn Wells of Gilligan’s Island! She’s thrilled to be joining Tiki fans. Sail for 3 incredible hours and have a chance to meet Dawn in person. She will have photos to sign but feel free to bring your own memorabilia from the show too!

-- 6 Historic Symposium: Tiki history is the focus of 5 of the special symposiums at The Hukilau this year that include idolized mid-century attractions such as Disney World's original Polynesian Village Resort by Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily, Florida's Tiki Gardens by Jon Bortles and Tiki Gardener ,Southern California's Pacific Ocean Park by Dominic Priore and The Kahiki supper club in Columbus, Ohio by Jeff Chenault. The 6th Symposium is given by Oscar-nominated filmmaker Arthur Dong and will feature lots of eye candy and history behind Chinese American nightclubs - a somewhat forgotten time of San Francisco's history. Jeff Beachbum Berry will also be teaming up with Miller, the infamous "Tiki pirate," for a special symposium on the history and influence of the Planter's Punch.

-- One of The Hukilau's most anticipated events is sure to be a "Tiki Tower Takeover", a Cocktail Summit featuring Tiki’s 4 Top Barmen and held in the hotel's famous revolving Pier Top Lounge on Thursday, June 11 at 4:00pm. The venue, which takes a complete spin every 66 minutes, offers spectacular views of the Fort Lauderdale skyline and Atlantic Ocean. Don’t miss this experience with Jeff Beachbum Berry (Latitude 29, New Orleans), Martin Cate (Smuggler's Cove, San Francisco), Paul McGee (Lost Lake, Chicago), and Brian Miller ("Tiki Mondays With Miller," New York City).

-- Tiki tunes and exotic sounds to be provided by: Alika Lyman Group, The Intoxicators, Gold Dust Lounge, Pablus, Slip and the Spinouts, Kinky Waikiki, and DJ James Brown’s Sweat

-- The event would not be complete without some special Aquatic Appearances Fort Lauderdale's own Medusirena – Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid!!

-- The anchor and lifeblood of The Hukilau continues to be The Mai-Kai, the 59-year-old Polynesian Palace. It's considered the "Taj Mahal of Tiki" by Book of Tiki author Sven Kirsten and is the best example of the classic Tiki era in the world.

-- The Hukilau would like to thank Aaron Burke of Tidbit Design and artist Dr. Alderete for their contributions to our beautiful design and branding this year!!

THE HOTEL

The Hyatt Regency Pier 66 is one of Fort Lauderdale’s premiere historic properties that first broke ground in 1956. Located on the Intracoastal Waterway just a short distance from the beach, the hotel provides the perfect backdrop for a Polynesian Pop weekend that will include live Tiki carving in the courtyard, poolside activities, and after-hours parties. The 17 story tower was added in 1965 that features a rotating cocktail lounge!

Our very affordable rate is $129 (based on double occupancy) for your poolside room or book in the tower for a spectacular view of the intracoastal or Atlantic!

Book Your Room Now!

THE MAI-KAI

Book your reservations NOW by calling the Mai-Kai directly at 954-563-3272

CONTACT

Official websites:
http://www.thehukilau.com
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/thehukilau
Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/thehukilau
http://twitter.com/TheHukilau
http://www.flickr.com/groups/hukilau/
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHukilauEvent

Join hundreds of Tikiphiles as we descend upon Ft. Lauderdale donning our island prints and bearing prized bottles of rum to commence the party of a lifetime. Are you going to a The Hukilau, a Huki, Huki, Huki, Huki, Hukilau?

As always, any questions about the event and however I can help, PM me or email anytime at [email protected]

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2015-03-07 15:15 ]

Can't wait!!! :)

I'm super stoked about this. Plane tickets bought...hotel booked. Can't wait!!

So glad you all are joining us! Jeff, I personally can't wait for your symposium on the Kahiki!

On 2015-03-10 09:49, tiki_kiliki wrote:
So glad you all are joining us! Jeff, I personally can't wait for your symposium on the Kahiki!

And inside the Mai Kai no less!! Bill and Lee's inspiration for the Kahiki!!! :)

Excited to be vending at my 5th Hukilau! See you all there!

Robert, we couldn't be more excited for you to be returning to The Hukilau this year!

Thanks for pointing that out tikiskip

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2015-03-24 12:02 ]

On 2015-03-24 10:22, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Robert, we could be more excited for you to be returning!

Ha!
Freudian slip

Here's your Freudian slip...

Now that's therapy! :)

It's ok! I know I'm welcomed....right? :D

T

"It's ok! I know I'm welcomed....right?"

Well yes welcomed, but there just won't be that much excitement
or hoopla about your being there.
It is your fifth time and all.

Oh, and do not forget duck tape.

Lots of updates just posted on The Atomic Grog:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/05/09/the-week-in-tiki-may-4-10-2015-the-hukilau-news-and-updates-plus-summer-tiki-festival-season-kicks-off/

Photos of all four glazes of the 2015 event mug by Tiki Diablo have been released. Also look for pendants based on the mug to be available during an upcoming pre-sale. To reserve The Hukilau mug, email [email protected].

Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid and her pod of aquaticats will perform two special swim shows at the nearby B Ocean Resort for attendees of The Hukilau only. These will be in addition to the regular Friday and Saturday shows at 6:30 p.m.

Big Kahuna passes – which includes admission to all five days, not including symposiums and special events – are sold out. But you can still pick up an Aloha Pass (Thursday-Sunday) and Luau Pass (Friday-Sunday), or single-day tickets. Also sold out is the first Saturday night dinner show at The Mai-Kai. You can still get into the second seating by calling The Mai-Kai at (954) 563-3272.

Four rum sponsors will provide tastings and cocktails featuring their award-winning spirits. Wicked Dolphin and Gubba will have booths and provide tastings in the Tiki Treasures Bazaar. The Real McCoy will welcome guests by providing tastings during Thursday’s registration from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. South Florida Distillers, producers of Fwaygo rum, will host a pop-up bar on Thursday night at Pier 66 from 6 to 9 p.m.

More info on all of the above, plus more, at http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/05/09/the-week-in-tiki-may-4-10-2015-the-hukilau-news-and-updates-plus-summer-tiki-festival-season-kicks-off/

Stay tuned for more updates.

Is anyone interested in a Monday, 06/15, road trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando to visit Trader Sam's Grog Grotto?

Or alternately, is anyone driving out of Ft. Lauderdale on Monday and heading to or through Orlando and has room for a stowaway? I'd be happy to buy gas and the first round at Sam's.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

If you don't get anyone to bite, try this service...
http://www.thefloridaexpressbus.com/orlando-day-trips-by-bus.html

If only I still lived in FL... sigh I hope to at least see photos afterwards. :) One day I will be able to attend a tiki event!

Here are the latest updates on The Atomic Grog:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/05/23/the-week-in-tiki-may-18-25-2015-new-beachbum-berry-barware-the-hukilau-2015-merchandise-now-on-sale/

The official event mug by Tiki Diablo has been released to both attendees and the general public. As a bonus, the mugs comes with a special LED swizzle stick. Also available now are pendants based on the mug by artist Perry Drake in four different colors.
http://thehukilau.com/official-souvenirs/

Now's the time to book your room at Pier 66 at the special rate of $129 per night before it expires on May 28.
http://thehukilau.com/book-hotel/

Haiti’s venerable Rhum Barbancourt is the fifth rum sponsor to come on board to provide tastings and cocktails featuring their award-winning spirits. You can find Rhum Barbancourt at the Tiki Tower Takeover, Jeff “Beachbum” Berry’s Planter’s Punch symposium and the “Three Hour Tour” cruise with Dawn Wells. There will also be tastings to be announced in the Tiki Treasures Bazaar.

The daily schedule has been updated with many of the bands and perfomers now listed during specific time slots. Wednesday’s Pre-Party at The Mai-Kai will feature Miami’s Gold Dust Lounge. Thursday’s Tiki Tower Takeover will feature a solo set by Pablus of The Crazed Mugs. Thursday’s Kick-Off Party at Pier 66 will include The Intoxicators, Kinky Waikiki, King Kukulele, and Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid. The lineup for Friday’s Main Event at Pier 66 is the Alika Lyman Group, Kinky Waikiki, Slip and the Spinouts, The Disasternauts, and Burlesque perfomer Lila Starlet. The Mai-Kai’s Saturday and Sunday’s lineup is still to be announced, but it’s sure to include King Kukulele, The Intoxicators, the Alika Lyman Group, Skinny Jimmy Stingray, plus more of the previously mentioned bands. Also scheduled for Saturday at Pier 66 from 1:30 to 3 p.m. is a book signing and autograph session with Dawn Wells, plus symposium presenters Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily, Jeff Chenault, and Domenic Priore.
http://thehukilau.com/schedule/

Also, just announced on Facebook: Only four tickets remain for the Tiki Tower Takeover.

We've begun setting stuff out to pack. Can't wait for this year's event and symposiums. Looking forward to Tiki Tower Takeover, Tiki Gardens, and Kahiki. Booked for two days more than we did last year; don't want to miss out on any fun!

We can't wait either! Looking forward to seeing you Rum Trader!

Tickets are going fast ...

YES! Almost there....so excited!

Breaking news:

The Tiki Tower Takeover is sold out!

The June issue of Purehoney Magazine in South Florida features a cover story and massive poster for The Hukilau ...

http://www.purehoneymagazine.com/the-hukilau/

I always said those folks were sell outs!

A few more updates just posted on The Atomic Grog:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/05/30/the-week-in-tiki-may-18-25-2015-the-hukilau-ticket-updates-latitude-29-honored-rapa-nui-reef-sinking/

The Hukilai and the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 have extended the special $129 room rate until Monday night at 11:59 p.m. You must book through this link to get the lower rat:
http://thehukilau.com/book-hotel/

Also, lots more details on the Rhum Barbancourt sponsorship:

On Wednesday, there will be giveaways plus a special cocktail available during the Pre-Party in The Molokai lounge at The Mai-Kai. On Thursday, look for giveaways during the Tiki Tower Takeover, plus Rhum Barbancourt will be featured in Martin Cate’s cocktail. Free tastings will be offered in the Tiki Treasures Bazaar on Thursday (6-9 p.m.), Friday (4-7 p.m.) and Saturday (1:30-3 p.m.). Beachbum Berry’s symposium on the Planter’s Punch and the “Three Hour Tour” cruise with Dawn Wells will include cocktails featuring the distinctive rum. Also scheduled are more giveaways plus The Mai-Kai’s new Barbancourt cocktail on Saturday during the main event’s happy hours.

Blue Chair Bay was also added to the roster of rum sponsors, joining previously announced Wicked Dolphin, Gubba, The Real McCoy, and Fwaygo.

Sooo ready for this week to fast forward into Hukilau....Looking forward to meeting the East Coast Tiki Peeps :)

Lots of updates on The Atomic Grog:

Here's a full event preview posted Saturday:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/06/06/event-preview-the-hukilau-keeps-20th-century-tiki-culture-alive-and-thriving-in-the-21st-century/

It features a longer version of the story that ran in Pure Honey, plus more info on the six rum sponsors, the special events, the venues, every band and performer, plus the full schedule.

Today, I just posted all the latest news in a special Hukilau edition of The Week in Tiki:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/06/09/the-week-in-tiki-june-1-14-2015-the-hukilau-2015-latest-news-and-updates/

You'll find updated info on where you can get tickets, which events are sold out, and what special merchandise will be available. The above artwork by Michael Uhlenkott was created for the official T-shirts and glassware.

The post also includes a Rhum Barbancourt review and cocktail, plus special features on some guests and performers at The Hukilau, plus links to many of the others.

This blog post will be updated with all the latest news and updates, so be sure to check back.

Alright folks, some shameless self promotion for the symposium that Jonpez and I are doing on the legendary Tiki Gardens.
Don't miss this! Trust me, it's not going to be me and Jon pointing at our postcard collections. The information that's been collected just in the last week has expanded on what has already been an exponential explosion of knowledge about this lost piece of paradise.
And we're working on the rules of an Aku Aku drinking game.
So yeah, it's early in the am, but, trust me, you want to be there.

Such a great event. Had so much fun and it was really fun meeting some of you guys!

What a great year for The Hukilau! Not only has Pier 66 injected new life into the event, we're now poised for a spectacular year next year with the 15th anniversary and The Mai-Kai's 60th! No dates yet, but I'll let you know as soon as I know.

I don't see any other threads with photos, so I'll post mine here. First three days are edited so far, Saturday and Sunday still to come.

Wednesday: Marina's first Hukilau-only mermaid show, Pre-Party at The Mai-Kai ...

A moai awaits guests near the registration booth in the Crystal Atrium. (The Hukilau photo)

Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid. (Photo by Tiki Chris Pinto)

Some special guests join Marina and her pod of aquaticats. (Photo by Tiki Chris Pinto)

Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid and her cast of characters. (Photo by Roy Anderson)

Gold Dust Lounge from Miami play a rousing set of instrumental surf. (Atomic Grog photo)

The Cooking Channel’s Jim Stacy (Offbeat Eats with Jim Stacy) was in the house, hanging out with emcee King Kukulele. (Atomic Grog photo)

The Tiki Tower Takeover crew stages a Molokai bar takeover! From left: Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, Shelby Allison, Paul McGee, Martin Cate, Rebecca Cate, Brian Miller. (Atomic Grog photo)

More photos from Wednesday on The Atomic Grog:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/06/11/the-hukilau-photo-highlights-wednesdays-mermaid-show-and-pre-party-at-the-mai-kai/

Thursday: Tiki Tower Takeover and Kick-Off Party at Pier 66 ...

The Hyatt Regency Pier 66 is and its exclusive rotating top-floor lounge are primed and ready for today’s events.

The 17th-floor lounge offers a panoramic view of Fort Lauderdale Beach.

With prep completed, the Tiki Tower Takeover’s all-star cast of bar professionals joins The Hukilau’s Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White (center) for a group photo.

Brian Miller (Tiki Mondays With Miller, New York City) and Garret Richard present the Pandanarama Daiquiri ...

Paul McGee (Lost Lake, Chicago) and Shelby Allison present the Lost Lake cocktail ...

Martin Cate (Smuggler’s Cove, San Francisco) and Rebecca Cate present the Formidable Dragon ...

Jeff “Beachbum” Berry (Latitude 29, New Orleans) and Steve Yamada present the T.O.T.C. Swizzle ...

The Hukilau’s Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White welcomes Beachbum Berry (right) and Steve Yamada.

Crazy Al Evans (left) and King Kululele (plus Pablus, not pictured) provided the entertainment.

The bars are busy as the crowd flows in.

To cap off the evening, the Tiki Tower Takeover crew (and Adam Kolesar, right) recreated The Last Supper in The Molokai bar at The Mai-Kai. (Photo by Pablus)

Georgia’s Kinky Waikiki. (Atomic Grog photo)

The Intoxicators from Tallahassee rock the house. (Atomic Grog photo)

More photos from Thursday on The Atomic Grog:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/06/12/the-hukilau-photo-highlights-thursdays-tiki-tower-takeover-and-kick-off-party/

Friday: Three Hour Tour Cruise with Dawn Wells, Tiki Treasures Bazaar, Main Event at Pier 66 ...

Hundreds of villagers eagerly await a special cruise with Dawn Wells, best known as Mary Ann on iconic 1960s sitcom Gilligan’s Island. (Photo by Go11Events.com)

Dawn Wells leads guests aboard the Lady Windridge Yacht for a three-hour tour of Fort Lauderdale’s inland waterways. (Photo by Go11Events.com)

Villagers are welcomed by crew members serving drinks created by The Hukilau’s beverage team, including the Rapa Nui Faceplant and Professor’s Downfall. This is no SS Minnow! (Photo by Go11Events.com)

The Hukilau’s longtime emcee, King Kukulele, and artist/performer Crazy Al Evans welcome Dawn Wells to the Three Hour Tour Cruise. (The Hukilau photo)

Villagers were thrilled to meet and get autographs from their favorite castaway, Mary Ann. (Photo by Go11Events.com)

The Hukilau’s new partners, Mike Zielinski (left) and Richard Oneslager, are happy to be cruising with Dawn Wells. (Photo by Go11Events.com)

The Hukilau’s vendor showcase, the Tiki Treasures Bazaar, was held in the Crystal Ballroom at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66. (Atomic Grog photo)

Sponsor Rhum Barbancourt offered tastings of its distinctive rums, plus four special cocktails mixed up daily in a tropical-themed booth. (Atomic Grog photo)

The Harold Golen Gallery booth featured the “Big Eye Spectacular” exhibit, featuring a new painting by Shag created especially for the event. (Atomic Grog photo)

The Cocktail Kingdom booth, manned by Ethan Bailey and owner Greg Boehm, featured all the new Beachbum Berry Tiki barware, plus books and other nifty bar tools. (Atomic Grog photo)

California artist Tiki Tony shows off a variety of mugs, pendants and artwork. (Atomic Grog photo)

Wicked Dolphin offered up samples of many of its rums, along with tasty cocktails. (Atomic Grog photo)

The elusive Will Anders of Fort Lauderdale showed off some one-of-a-kind pieces, including a boatload of Marquesan bobbleheads. (Atomic Grog photo)

Jim Stacy from The Cooking Channel joins The Hukilau’s Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White at the Panorama Ballroom for the night’s entertainment. (Photo by The Tanabi Group)

Mark Riddle (left) from California and Alika Lyman from Hawaii lead the Alika Lyman Group through a set of news songs and vintage classics. (Atomic Grog photo)

The Alika Lyman Group’s performance at The Hukilau was their only scheduled U.S. mainland appearance of 2015. (Atomic Grog photo)

The Alika Lyman Group closed their show by performing a tribute to the late Robert Drasnin, the exotica pioneer who passed away in May. (Atomic Grog photo)

Hailing from somewhere in the wilds of north-central Florida, The Disasternauts took the stage with a primal fury. (Atomic Grog photo)

Unable to communicate verbally, The Disasternauts let their music do the talking. (Atomic Grog photo)

The dance floor was packed for the lively set by The Disasternauts. (Atomic Grog photo)

More photos from Friday on The Atomic Grog:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/06/19/the-hukilau-photo-highlights-fridays-three-hour-tour-cruise-tiki-treasures-bazaar-main-event-at-pier-66/

Please speak more of this Rapa Nui Faceplant cocktail! I assume it was an homage to the Deerfield fiasco?

Yes, the Faceplant is a reference to the reef that took a header a couple weeks ago. There might also be a Gilligan's Island reference, not sure. The Straw Hat Barmen came up with four drinks for the cruise, all with clever names. They've promised to share the recipes, so I'll keep an eye out for those.

On the subject of recipes, if anyone is looking for recipes for the four Rhum Barbancourt drinks that were served outside the Tiki Treasure Bazaar, here they are (as posted on the official Barbancourt Facebook page). All were very well-crafted drinks. They were squeezing limes fresh and using all quality ingredients. It's nice to have a rum company that really gets it.

RHUM BARBANCOURT RECIPES, THE HUKILAU 2015

Cesar's Punch

2 oz Rhum Barbancourt 3 Star
1.5 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz grenadine
.25 oz simple syrup
3 dashes Angostura bitters

Mix ingredients together in a cocktail shaker with ice, shake and strain into a cup with ice and garnish with lime wedge (or a cute cocktail umbrella).

Lulu Bay

1.5 oz Pango Rhum
1 oz Rhum Barbancourt Reserve Speciale (5 Star)
1 oz peach liqueur
1.5 oz falernum
1.5 oz passion fruit juice
.5 oz pineapple juice
.5 oz mango juice
2 dashes Angostura bitters

Mix ingredients together in a cocktail shaker with ice, shake and strain into a cup with ice.

The Dupre

1 cup Rhum Barbancourt 3 Star
1 can evaporated milk
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
1 can cream of coconut
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lime juice
Garnish with grated nutmeg

Bottle that mixture (we used Rhum Barbancourt bottles) and when you're ready to enjoy a cocktail, pour some in a shaker with ice, add some more Barbancourt 3 Star and a little lime juice, shake and strain into a glass with crushed ice. Garnish with grated nutmeg.

The Petionville Punch
(Bryan Crowder of The Ice Plant)

1 oz Pango Rhum
1 oz Rhum Barbancourt White
1 oz Mango Datil Pepper Syrup
1 oz fresh lime juice

Shake ingredients together in a shaker with ice, strain and serve over ice in a collins glass.

To make the Mango Datil Pepper Syrup:
Blend 2 diced mangos, 1 diced datil pepper, and 2 cups of simple syrup.

Here's one more while I have your attention. The first drink served during "Brigands, Barons & Beachcombers: The Many Faces of Planter's Punch," hosted by Jeff "Beachbum" Berry and Brian Miller. This was Mr. Miller's contribution ...

FATHER LABAT’S PUNCH
(Inspired by Pere Jean-Baptiste Labat, circa 1694)
Reinterpreted by Brian Miller

¾ oz lime juice
¾ oz cane syrup
1 tsp Don’s Spices #2
1 oz MarketSpice tea
2 oz The Real McCoy 12 rum (sub any good aged Barbados rum)

• Shake & pour into a rocks glass. Garnish with a lime wheel spiked with 3 cloves, grated nutmeg and a cinnamon stick (grated to release aromatics).

MarketSpice tea: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029KOVO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1GKR2AQDPC9QQ&coliid=I1H730SB46BN6R

An excellent drink that helped introduce the old concept of using tea in cocktails. Brian found the MarketSpice on a trip to Seattle and correctly surmised that its orange-cinnamon flavor would work well in a cocktail.

If you have "Potions of the Caribbean," you'll find the Bum's reinterpretation of Father Labat's Punch, which dates back to a 1694 recipe by the "fightin' friar," Pere Jean-Baptiste Labat. It's a great story, one of many in the book that resurfaced in the symposium.

Awesome, thanks for the recipes. I will probably try that Cesar's Punch tomorrow as I just finished making fresh grenadine so I could try your latest 151 Swizzle update and it's been far too long since I put Barbancourt in a cocktail.

I'm drinking the Cesar's Punch as I type. A good basic punch that would probably benefit from a grenadine that's not overly sweet.

Worth noting is the new Pango Rhum, which is featured in several drinks at Trader Sam's Grog Grotto, including the Nautilus. I was curious about how this happened, so I asked one of the Barbancourt guys. It was apparently pure happenstance, but they're very happy with the results.

Without further adieu, here's The Atomic Grog's final photo recap, featuring Saturday/Sunday festivities including Beachbum Berry and Brian Miller's symposium, the Tiki Treasures Bazaar and autograph signings, Marina's mermaid show, plus the Mai-Kai Main Event and Finale featuring The Quiet Villagers, Kinky Waikiki, the Alika Lyman Group, The Intoxicators, Skinny Jimmy Stingray, the Polynesian Islander Revue, plus more!

Highlights posted below. For the full gallery, go to: http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/06/22/the-hukilau-photo-highlights-saturdays-cocktail-symposium-tiki-treasures-bazaar-mermaid-swimshow-main-event-at-the-mai-kai-sundays-finale/

PHOTOS FROM SATURDAY, JUNE 13

Brigands, Barons & Beachcombers: The Many Faces of Planter’s Punch ...

King Kukulele (left) introduces Jeff “Beachbum” Berry and Brian Miller (right) to the sold-out audience in the Panorama Ballroom at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 hotel. (Photo by Go11Events.com)

Jeff “Beachbum” Berry traces the earliest Planter’s Punch recipes back to to the 1800s. (Atomic Grog photo)

Jeff “Beachbum” Berry and Brian Miller are joined by the hard-working crew who made the symposium possible. (Photo by Go11Events.com)

Tiki Treasures Bazaar ...

The Dawn Wells autograph session attracted a long line of fans at the Harold Golen Gallery booth. (Photo by Go11Events.com)

The Hukilau’s Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White welcomes back artists Kevin Kidney (right) and Jody Daily, who presented a symposium on Disney World’s Polynesian Village on Friday and participated in a signing on Saturday. (Photo by Go11Events.com)

Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid’s exclusive swim show at The Wreck Bar ...

Somehow, Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid wrested Crazy Al Evans' drink away from him. (Photo by Roy Anderson)

Main Event at The Mai-Kai ...

Atlanta-based restaurateur and food TV host Jim Stacy (Offbeat Eats With Jim Stacy) assumes a new role at The Hukilau’s main event as he pillages The Mai-Kai and corrals a Molokai Girl. (Atomic Grog photo)

South Florida’s The Quiet Villagers play an early set of exotic tunes in The Molokai bar. (Atomic Grog photo)

Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid and her aquaticats treat themselves to a formal night out, sans tails. (Photo by Marina Duran-Anderson)

A guest is treated to a dance from a Mai-Kai Mystery Girl after ordering a Mystery Drink. (Photo by Go11Events.com)

During stage presentations before the dinner show, The Hukilau’s Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White (center) poses with her partners, staff and crew after presenting them with special versions of the 2015 event mug by Tiki Diablo. (Photo by Go11Events.com)

Symposium presenters Jeff Chenault (left) and Jon Bortles show off their mugs. (Photo by Go11Events.com)

The Hukilau’s Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White is flanked by two special ladies: Actress Dawn Wells (left) and Mai-Kai owner Mireille Thornton, also the show choreographer and costume designer. (Photo by Go11Events.com)

The fire dance is always a crowd favorite. (Atomic Grog photo)

The Mai-Kai’s Tahiti dining room is the perfect setting for exotic sounds of the Alika Lyman Group. (Atomic Grog photo)

Video: Alika Lyman Group plays Arthur Lyman’s "Taboo" at The Mai-Kai (YouTube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCla9hK391M

Instrumental surf band The Intoxicators from Tallahassee make their 11th straight appearance at The Hukilau. (Atomic Grog photo)

PHOTOS FROM SUNDAY, JUNE 13

Finale at The Mai-Kai ...

Skinny Jimmy Stingray and his band made quite an impression on the Molokai Girls. (Photo by The Tanabi Group)

In The Hukilau’s waning hours, the Deep Sea Diver was the cocktail of choice as Beachbum Berry and friends celebrated the introduction of the vintage Cocktail Kingdom glassware. (Atomic Grog photos)

Full photo gallery:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/06/22/the-hukilau-photo-highlights-saturdays-cocktail-symposium-tiki-treasures-bazaar-mermaid-swimshow-main-event-at-the-mai-kai-sundays-finale/

The Week in Tiki * Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

The official blog of The Hukilau

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2015-06-23 01:06 ]

A big mahalo to official photographer Bill Dillard and his team at Go11Events.com. They've started posting many of their photos online for browsing or purchase. If someone took your picture, you'll probably find it here ...
http://go11media.smugmug.com/Hukilau/Hukilau-2015

Also, check out these other photos, stories and video ...

New Times
Story: http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/music/the-hukilau-took-attendees-through-time-space-and-a-three-hour-tour-7046022
Video: http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/video/the-hukilau-founder-christie-white-gives-some-background-on-the-event-42135057
Photos: http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/slideshow/the-people-of-hukilau-2015-at-hyatt-regency-pier-sixty-six-7045631

SouthFlorida.com
Photos: http://www.southflorida.com/events/spotted/sf-hukilau-tiki-event-fort-lauderdale-pictures-20150612-photogallery.html

Straw Hat Barmen
Photos: http://strawhatbarmen.com/gallery-hukilau-2015/

The Week in Tiki features a comprehensive look back at The Hukilau, with a day-by-day recap and all the photo links in one handy place ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/06/30/the-week-in-tiki-june-15-28-2015-summer-events-in-full-swing-with-the-hukilau-ohana-luau-at-the-lake-more/

Also, the cocktail of the week is the 1862 Rhum Punch, a special cocktail created by Kern Mattei at The Mai-Kai for The Hukilau and sponsor Rhum Barbancourt:

Review and recipe here:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/06/30/the-week-in-tiki-june-15-28-2015-summer-events-in-full-swing-with-the-hukilau-ohana-luau-at-the-lake-more/#cocktail

Okole maluna!

On 2015-06-19 14:59, mikehooker wrote:
Please speak more of this Rapa Nui Faceplant cocktail! I assume it was an homage to the Deerfield fiasco?

FYI, the Straw Hat Barmen just posted a recipe for the Rapa Nui Faceplant, along with a nice recap of The Hukilau:
http://strawhatbarmen.com/tiki-cocktails-at-the-hukilau/

And on The Atomic Grog, you'll also find my tribute to Beachbum Berry's T.O.T.C. Swizzle:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/07/10/the-week-in-tiki-june-29-july-12-2015-tiki-kon-and-tales-of-cocktail-event-previews-tiki-diablo-invades-home-depot/#rum

On 2015-07-15 11:47, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

On 2015-06-19 14:59, mikehooker wrote:

FYI, the Straw Hat Barmen just posted a recipe for the Rapa Nui Faceplant, along with a nice recap of The Hukilau:
http://strawhatbarmen.com/tiki-cocktails-at-the-hukilau/

Thanks for the heads up. I polished off my bottle of Barbancourt 3 star on the Cesar's Punch. Will have to replenish soon to try this. Recipe is pretty close to a classic mai tai.

Pages: 1 39 replies