Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Trader sam's Grog Grotto zombie

Pages: 1 19 replies

Hi Friends,

I recently decided to try making the "shrunken zombie head" since I really liked it and don't get to visit Trader Sam's very often. The menu gives the following description and I've tracked down the rums and syrups listed (BG Reynolds, get stoked).

Menu description: Gosling’s 151 Black Seal Rum, Appleton Estate Reserve Rum, Bacardi 8 yr Rum, Tropical Juices, Falernum, and Cinnamon.

I'm pretty new at this, so I was curious to get everyone's feedback on how the recipe will look. (For the "Tropical juices" I've had good luck with 3.0 oz POG with 1 oz. lemon juice).

Here's my first instinct:

3.0 oz POG juice
1.0 tsp sugar (raw sugar)
2.0 oz Bacardi 8 yr Rum
1.0 oz Appleton Estate Reserve
1.0 lemon juice
0.5 oz falernum
0.5 oz cinnamon
0.5 oz 151 rum (floated on top)

Thanks friends!

[ Edited by: kreynolds 2016-01-19 17:39 ]

S

You haven't listed the syrups in your recipe and what is the 1.0 tsp of sugar. Raw sugar or a sugar syrup?

Thanks swizzle, I updated the recipe, sorry for the confusion!

K

On 2016-01-19 17:16, kreynolds wrote:
Here's my first instinct:

3.0 oz POG juice
1.0 tsp sugar (raw sugar)
2.0 oz Bacardi 8 yr Rum
1.0 oz Appleton Estate Reserve
1.0 lemon juice
0.5 oz falernum
0.5 oz cinnamon
0.5 oz 151 rum (floated on top)

My first note is that you have too much rum. Your total of alcohol is 3.5 oz for a 1 person drink which is not only heavy in general, but especially heavy for Disney cocktails. As a standard practice, most cocktails tend to max out around 2-2.5 oz. So, being that this IS a zombie which IS alcohol-forward, I'd do 1 oz Bacardi 8 and 1 oz Appleton, then the .5 oz Gosling's and don't float it - I've never seen it floated nor is it intended to be.

I'd also point out that you need lime juice and that your lemon juice is heavy at 1 oz. The cinnamon and falernum look okay but maybe go .25 oz for each. Another big note is that I think they use their Gorilla Grog mix instead of just POG juice, which is POG + falernum, lemon, and pineapple. I don't have an amounts for you but I think that is mostly POG and pineapple with lesser amounts of lemon and falernum (remember that POG is already pretty sweet). I'd ditch the simple syrup and maybe add some drops of pernod as well.

T

On 2016-01-19 17:16, kreynolds wrote:
I'm pretty new at this, so I was curious to get everyone's feedback on how the recipe will look. (For the "Tropical juices" I've had good luck with 3.0 oz POG with 1 oz. lemon juice).

[ Edited by: kreynolds 2016-01-19 17:39 ]

I was at Trader Sam's the past 3 days and tried a cup of their Gorilla Grog each day I was there. It's Minute Maid POG juice mixed with Dole brand pineapple juice and BG Reynolds Falernum. It has a gingery flavor to it, so there's more falernum in it than juice, plus it has a syrup consistency to it. I couldn't taste any lemon juice in it.

They also use Monin Red Passion Fruit syrup in their Shrunken Zombie Head.

[ Edited by: Tiki501 2016-04-13 22:22 ]

K

On 2016-04-13 22:09, Tiki501 wrote:
I was at Trader Sam's the past 3 days and tried a cup of their Gorilla Grog each day I was there. It's Minute Maid POG juice mixed with Dole brand pineapple juice and BG Reynolds Falernum. It has a gingery flavor to it, so there's more falernum in it than juice, plus it has a syrup consistency to it. I couldn't taste any lemon juice in it.

I'm certain there's lemon juice in it, but probably a small amount - part of what gives the Gorilla Grog some of its tartness aside from the POG. Syrupy consistency is odd, and not what I would say describes it as it is a juice mix - after all the Polynesian Punch is just Gorilla Grog + grenadine and I don't imagine they'd serve kids or non alcoholics just a buncha syrup. :D

T
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.