Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The Lili-Kai Club's Caffeinated Kama'aina

Pages: 1 7 replies

One of the specials that are really popular at our home bar - a custom drink by my wife and I. This is our twist on a "tiki white russian."

Caffeinated Kama'aina
Method – Shaken
Glass – Old fashioned
Garnish – Coffee bean

coffee liqueur (homemade or Tia Maria) 2 oz.
Instant espresso powder (Ferarra) 1 tsp.
whole milk 1 1/2 oz.
macadamia nut liqueur (Trader Vic’s) 3/4 oz.
pimento dram 1 tsp.
Angostura bitters 1 dash
Cinnamon or nutmeg

1. Add all the ingredients to a shaker and fill with ice.
  2. Shake, and strain into an old fashioned glass.
  3. Sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg on top.
  4. Garnish with a coffee bean.

Made some bottled Caffeinated Kama'aina for gifts this year.

Just add milk. The rest of the cocktail is in there.

Very cool gift. At the recommendation of Kevin from a 5 minutes of rum episode and encouragement from my wife, I made a spiced rum for some close friends this year, complete with labels and recipes. They really appreciated it as I'm sure your recipients did.

On 2017-01-05 10:16, mikehooker wrote:
Very cool gift. At the recommendation of Kevin from a 5 minutes of rum episode and encouragement from my wife, I made a spiced rum for some close friends this year, complete with labels and recipes. They really appreciated it as I'm sure your recipients did.

Definitely - a fun gift. I need to make my own spiced rum one of these days.

I'm not a big fan of spiced rum which is why I had reservations about making my own. It's the overwhelming vanilla flavor most of them have that I don't love. So when I decided to do this, I intentionally left out vanilla and stuck with spices I enjoy like clove, anise, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc, blended with several different rums to make it distinct. I'm quite pleased with the results. I made eight hand numbered 10 oz bottles and put them in gift bags with recipe cards and a mix CD.

I recommend giving it a shot.

On 2017-01-05 10:56, mikehooker wrote:
I'm not a big fan of spiced rum which is why I had reservations about making my own. It's the overwhelming vanilla flavor most of them have that I don't love. So when I decided to do this, I intentionally left out vanilla and stuck with spices I enjoy like clove, anise, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc, blended with several different rums to make it distinct. I'm quite pleased with the results. I made eight hand numbered 10 oz bottles and put them in gift bags with recipe cards and a mix CD.

I recommend giving it a shot.

Love it! I had a spiced rum that featured cardamom. I'd like to try to recreate that at some point.

I've been thinking of giving this a try for something a bit different as well:
http://smallscreennetwork.com/video/768/morgenthaler_method_dark_and_stormy

On 2017-01-05 11:02, Jeff Bannow wrote:

I've been thinking of giving this a try for something a bit different as well:
http://smallscreennetwork.com/video/768/morgenthaler_method_dark_and_stormy

Interesting. I didn't use any powdered spices cuz I was worried I wouldn't be able to filter them all out. Even my nutmeg, I cut the whole nut into small chunks that would be easy to strain. I don't drink coffee, so didn't think to use a coffee filter. I just have a mesh sieve. Anyway, that sounds good. Report back if you make it.

BB

This is a fantastic idea, and one I will have to remember for next year's office gift exchange.

Pages: 1 7 replies