Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Looking for a new coffee liqueur. Any suggestions?

Pages: 1 10 replies

I've seen a lot about st george nola. But I also see recipes posted with trader vics coffee.

What does everyone use?

On 2019-01-29 08:09, myrongainesbrah wrote:
I've seen a lot about st george nola. But I also see recipes posted with trader vics coffee.

What does everyone use?

I believe Beachbum Berry calls for Tia Maria by name in a few of his books, but I haven't tried it yet. I use coffee liq so infrequently that I have yet to use up my bottle of Kahlua.

S

I heartily recommend Patrón XO Cafe: a blend of silver Patrón tequila and coffee. It has a very different flavor profile than regular coffee liqueurs, and mixes well with rum and brandy in grogs.

Tia Maria is made from Jamaican coffee beans, vanilla, and sugar in a base of Jamaican rum. That sounds ideal for Tiki cocktails.

I second the Patrón XO Cafe recommendation. That stuff is absolutely delicious and very versatile. I love adding it to a coffee grog.

One thing I've been dying to get my hands on is Mokatika coffee liqueur, which is made by Angostura. Never seen it in the shops, though.

On 2019-02-01 10:20, HopeChest wrote: One thing I've been dying to get my hands on is Mokatika coffee liqueur, which is made by Angostura. Never seen it in the shops, though.

Wow, I've been selling spirits for 20 years and have never heard of it. Sounds fantastic:

Mokatika Coffee Liqueur
Category: Coffee Liqueur Segment: Premium – Value Sizes Available: 750ML Mokatika Coffee Liqueur is dark and smooth, reflecting the mysterious spirit of the Caribbean. Premium quality Angostura rums and select Arabica coffee beans are skillfully blended in perfect harmony to produce the glowing warmth of Mokatika. The most affordable brand in its class while maintaining excellence in quality Big name brands such as Tia Maria and Kahlua are twice and three times the price of Mokatika Attractive and distinctive packaging Blended to retain a deep, dark and rich coffee colour, the aroma is a robust and rounded coffee flavour that is complemented by a mellow smooth taste. The essential ingredient in classic cocktail recipes such as Brown Cows and Black Russians.

http://www.angostura.com/brands/mokatika-coffee-liqueur/

S
K
kkocka posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2019 2:54 PM

Give Koloa Coffee Rum a try, it's legit.

I like the Patron XO and the Trader Vic;s referenced above. I haven't seen the TV’s Kona Coffee liqueur on the shelve's in a couple of years. I bought mine off the clearance racks at Hi-Times Wine Cellars so so it may no longer be available.
I bought 4 or 5 bottles of Kalua Midnight (70 proof) off that same clearance rack last winter.It’s a rum/coffee blend, delicious sipped ice cold and in Mexican Coffee
Cheers

Alamea Coffee Liquor from Daniele Dalla Pola is amazing. But they only sell it in Miami

[ Edited by: LaraColada 2019-12-08 05:30 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies