Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

PockyTiki's art excursions - 12/6/23 New Goji sculpt & mug design

Pages: 1 30 replies

P

Hmm... Wow where has the time gone? I don't think I've actually logged into TC for...err...wayyy too long. Gosh I don't even know where to begin!

A lot has taken place since the last time I've traveled these seas. I'm currently working on building up a small toy biz dedicated to Japanese soft vinyl toys and the like. I won't spam you folks with all that, but here's a project that's been on the back burner for a little while.

If you're familiar at all with the classic "MUSCLE" toys from the 80's and 90's, this is very similar in a sense. However, these aren't intergalactic wrestlers but tiny islanders that like to party.

Many trips to Trader Sam's Grog Grotto took place between coming up with these little fellas and working on other ideas.

Hope all is well! See you until the next update.

[ Edited by PockyTiki on 2022-03-20 06:02:27 ]

[ Edited by PockyTiki on 2022-04-02 07:40:50 ]

[ Edited by PockyTiki on 2023-12-06 04:50:31 ]

Wow, I see your finger in the photo, the guy is tiny. Good detail and fun since he has a spear. Best wishes for a great outcome for your project. Wendy

P

Spent the past few evenings coming up with potential figure designs for the release. Trying to keep an element of humor in each design as it fits the character(s) so well.

A lot still has to be fleshed out, but I'm pretty much 100% set on how to tackle the toy packaging for general release and convention/show display. I'm probably going to be shooting for a "recently discovered on a beach" vibe. Worn out crates filled with small burlap baggies that will be stamped or stenciled with my logo. They will be filled with most likely 5 individual rubber figures and will be displayed "spilling out" of the crate onto the table.

I've also outsourced the sculpting of the toys to a friend of mine in Mexico. Very talented and I've worked with him before. This project is another way to tide me over while I await further news on my soft vinyl toys being produced over in Japan.

Happy thirsty Thursday all!

So packaging is all fleshed out, sculpts are underway, molding and casting is 99.9% figured out... Man it's a lot of work putting together a solid toy release...

In other news:

P

Good morning everyone! Just wanted to update this thread with new N.A.T.I.V.E.S. stuff!

The N.A.T.I.V.E.S. come in a set of 5 available in 4 distinct colorways! Kanaloa Flesh, Rongo Green, Tangaroa Blue, and Night Hunter Glow! They were sculpted by a friend of mine in Mexico and produced in an awesome soft rubber over in England. They are also shipped in a small clear plastic can, reminiscent of ship's rations.

If you're interested you can head to my website, YuckToyCo.com , and pick yourself up a set. I am currently sold out of Flesh, and nearly sold out of the Glow sets.

Hi, that's a lot of work to post so many photos, I know! Well done and congratulations on pulling this off.

Your post shows wood and a knife. Do you have photos of what you carved? I would love to see those in addition to the finished work.

I hope this goes well for you. Wendy

Hey what's shakin you crazy people. Figured I'd post another update here. My NATIVES toy release was a success, as all sets sold out within a fairly short amount of time. Since then I've continued to brainstorm, sketch, sculpt and come up with new ideas for toys and other misc. things. My fiance' and I are planning on a tiki themed wedding for next June up in Maine and are working to have some custom mugs made up for the event as well as swizzles which are pictured here:

Here are some other bits and pieces I've been working on as well. Most of these are designed to eventually be turned into soft vinyl collectibles or other types of toys. That two piece concept with the moai-like head above the island could also work as a fairly intricate mug I suppose.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I hope you will share photos so we can all see your tiki theme being pulled off.
All your ideas and toys are fun. I'm glad to see you came back here. Wendy

Was just sketching and came up with the Moai mobile. The head would be swappable with the body. Nice birdman design on the ship/vehicle...

progress on Mr. Moai and his fantastic Moai Mobile.

The legs on the ship will not be that style when finished, as they need to be streamlined for molding purposes.

The head can be detached from the body and popped into the top of the spaceship for playability.

Oh, I'm gonna need a Moai Mobile.

P

3D prints arrived of Mr. Moai.

What fun! I have always loved the Easter Island bird. I like in on your art. Wendy

Why doesn't the Moai mobile have wheels?

In any case, wheels or not, I really did him. So I'll be needing one of him when you produce them. Lately, I've been acquiring Moais (mostly thanks to TJMAxx and HomeGoods) and I'm liking their chill vibe.

T

Loving these! I remember those Muscles toys back in the day... I like those NATIVES. Very cool.

Peace,
Jason

I really have no idea of where to begin so I'm probably just going to be rambling off about how much I missed this place and about how much has happened since I last logged off, and we all don't need to read that...

In brief, My wife and I got married last June and had ourselves a tiki/tropical wedding up in Maine! We had custom barrel mugs made for us by Munktiki Imports. We set off on our honeymoon and hit up the Bali Hai AND Skull & Crown! We personally got to meet Gecko while we were out on Oahu and made sure to leave with a couple of his works of art, a blowfish Bob and mini rum sipper. Lovely.

I've updated my projects identity and brand since then and if you'd all like to follow along you can catch me on Instagram @YuckTradingCo

Here are some photos of things I've been working on.

274368303_10159554934077332_4061522762750097933_n274598763_10159541663972332_1721674477042056814_n

276206965_10159582467912332_6419119331345060139_n220791336_10159178626127332_8228456109121584551_n

progress on a shrunken head sculpt I've been working on... IMG_0277

[ Edited by PockyTiki on 2022-03-27 12:45:14 ]

P

In other news I just released a pin and sticker pack based on my "Goji Bob" art I thought you all might get a kick out of...

IMG_0308

[ Edited by PockyTiki on 2022-04-02 07:41:56 ]

Love that shrunken head sculpt!

So I legitimately just realized I never shared photos of our tiki wedding and subsequent honeymoon out to Anaheim, San Diego and Oahu! What the heck.... I've let you all down. :(

To redeem myself, here are some highlights!

Here I am making the first speech I've ever made. 2021Wedding1

Here's a better photo of the custom mugs we had made thru MunkTiki Weddingphoto2

Subsequent trip out to CA two days after, with visits to Bali Hai, Disneyland etc etc (Trader Sams was closed at the time :( ) BaliHai

Atleast the Trader Morts tiki was easily accessible! Honeymoonphoto

Then a few days later we flew out to Oahu and made sure to visit Skull & Crown in Honolulu SkullnCrown

Which also involved us getting in touch with Gecko and hanging out with him in his incredible home bar! Such a super rad dude! GeckosStudio

So you know we couldn't leave without a custom Fugu Bob and mini green rum sipper! FuguBob

I really enjoyed catching up with your work and love life! Terrific sculpture. When I started scrulpting tikis and working with Gecko I used Sculpey Clay. Is that what you have used there or is it wax?

What a lovely couple you two are. Tiki weddings rock and then your trip was tiki indeed. Enjoy! We had nothing but fun with our tiki lives and it's not over yet. Cheers, Wendy

Hey Wendy!

I appreciate the kind words. I should have invited the TC crew to the wedding, but it was already a large enough crowd as is.

That shrunken head sculpt is super sculpey and currently sitting idle on my desk at the moment, while I maneuver around other aspects of my art life and merchandise releases. I've been chatting with LostIdols down in Mass. about mugs and kilns and his current setup only makes me yearn for more studio space on my own property Haha!

Aloha

Love all the art here

Congratulations on the wedding

Gecko is the bomb

Love that shrunken head, any updates on it?

Cheers

Jon

P

busy busy busy. Been spending more time on the tiki FB groups than here for whatever reason. Figured I'd swing on by and see what's goin on!

No further update on that shrunken head Hang10, but...

I have been working on this Goji sculpt that's been on the backburner for like 5 years.Goji_sculpt

That Goji is crazy! What's that sculpt material?

Thanks Mike! It’s just super sculpey. Always accessible for me and always enjoy using it. Glad you like it! Saw the new movie this weekend and was pushed to finish this sculpt because of it haha

I like Super Sculpty. It's reasonably priced, hold detail well, can be machined (sanded, polished, drilled etc), and you can fireparts and add to it

definitely hit the nail on the head there with all those points! We'll see where this sculpt ends up, whether it gets turned into plastic or not, who knows.

Edit** also was just watching some boobtube and well... started doodlin'

Late_Nite_Libation_MugConcept

[ Edited by PockyTiki on 2023-12-05 13:29:44 ]

The Mr. Moai and his fantastic Moai Mobile had my all-time favorite bird on the ship. All your designs are really cool.

I used Super Sculpey when I started because I wanted to save my sculpts. I made a lot of tiki bowls with it. The one thing I learned is that Sculpey will crack if it gets cold. Sculpts can't be saved in a garage or a shed.

I use and re-use Romo Clay #2 for sculpts. It's never for saving but it's a great clay for making a mold of. Keep up the great work.

thank you so much for the reply and compliments, Wendy! I'm pretty humbled to hear such kind words from an extremely talented artist such as yourself. I'm kind of in between projects right now, so in the mean time I felt like going outside and staining an old carving I did a couple summers ago. Just makes me wanna do more carving. IMG_7617

OGR

Super imagination PT. Love the sculpts, and the carvings...keep posting...

Pages: 1 30 replies