Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

International Market Place Will be horribly razed

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 357 replies

Found this old photo of a Tiki pole with location signs (like the Kau Kau Korner) that was from the International Market Place.

DC

Aloha DC,

On 2012-10-27 14:45, Dustycajun wrote:
Found this old photo of a Tiki pole with location signs (like the Kau Kau Korner) that was from the International Market Place.

Actually that one was at the Polynesian Cultural Center!

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-10-27 20:19 ]

Indeed...but they SHOULD have had one of those at the International Marketplace! :)

The whole ideal of a happily co-existing, Pan-Polynesian "Family of Man" greatly inspired Polynesian pop (overlooking the existence of inner-tribal competition and dislikes).

The two factors that were instrumental in Polynesian pop were the example of Hawaii as "Crossroads of the Pacific", as a cultural melting pot (just like America) where world brotherhood worked...

...and the whole "Exotic ports of call" flair of jet travel:

(for more on that concept, also see DC's post here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29444&forum=2&3)

These sign posts were used in many Tiki Temples, which, as we all know, had their dining rooms named after different Polynesian islands. Here is a different version that pays homage to the Palm Springs/Hawaii generation at Horrace Heidt's Estates:

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-10-28 00:55 ]

I should have known better, I even have that postcard showing the road sign at the Polynesian Cultural Center!

Now this is from the International Market Place, and old photo I saw on ebay a while back.

What's interesting are the two Tikis. The one on the right looks like Don the Beachcombers Marq, but the big Moai on the left sure looks like a Barney West!

DC

Aloha,

On 2012-12-20 18:19, Dustycajun wrote:
What's interesting are the two Tikis. The one on the right looks like Don the Beachcombers Marq, but the big Moai on the left sure looks like a Barney West!

There are two Moai in the pic... look to the far right of the blowup...just to the right of the Marquesan... You can see them in color in a certain book I know...

Grrrr, more "new" shopping and dining, as if there isn't enough of that around there already. If it is razed, the IMP will be sorely missed by those of us who enjoy a more relaxed and unpretentious respite from all the other high-end shopping and dining in that area. The cut-throat but reasonably-priced vendors will hopefully be preserved. I always spend quite a bit of time there looking around, usually making several visits while in Honolulu, buying inexpensive and really cool stuff. It would be great to make another trip out there this year before it's gone for good.

Well Frak. Guess I'll never get to see it. Read through the plan, more bland building/parking.

K

There have been several plans to tear down the place over the past few years. Hopefully, this one will BITE THE DUST as well. I know I sound like a broken record, but IMP is the LAST place in Waikiki you can go & feel like you're in a jungle..that isn't concrete. What are there plans? Oh..a seven story shopping center..full of Gucci, Prada, Louis Vitton & everything else we ALREADY have 2 or 3 of in Honolulu. ENOUGH ALREADY! It just makes me SICK, absolutely SICK.
And the clueless, idiotic local officials claim "how wonderful" it will be. They disgust me.

Methinks their definition of "wonderful" is directly related to making more money... I share your disappointment and also hope something comes to rescue IMP.

On 2013-01-23 09:43, AceExplorer wrote:
It would be great to make another trip out there this year before it's gone for good.

Absolutely. Hopefully, this sad news will make some of us make the trip happen.

International Market Place was the bomb back in the day (my day being the 80's). Anybody remember Dilip - the guy who would paint designs on folks' fingernails? I remember being at the Market Place bar/restaurant for a few New Years' Eve shows featuring Fat Eddie - that guy was just classic. What an entertainer. And I remember picking up a VHS copy of Elvis' 68 Comeback Special in the Elvis shop upstairs. Even the food court in IMP was awesome. I haven't been there since 2001 and by that time Waikiki had lost its old school laid back charm, in my opinion. But I guess you see things differently as you grow older. Booze helps this (I am drinking a Jungle Bird in a vintage Do Ho glass from an IMP show currently).

On 2013-01-23 13:44, AceExplorer wrote:
Methinks their definition of "wonderful" is directly related to making more money... I share your disappointment and also hope something comes to rescue IMP.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, I have many fond memories of the IMP, Waikiki, etc. I'm adding to what I wrote yesterday... The IMP revitalization plan is the developer's and city's effort to rescue the IMP. I can't blame 'em, the place is not currently a hot spot. Things (and times) have changed. Back in 1991, when I made my first visit to the Islands, I remember that the IMP was still very high on the list of "must see" places. This is not so today, and there are many things competing for tourist dollars in Honolulu. Still, it is hard for anyone to deny that the IMP is a very unique offering in an area which, I think, really benefits from it. The IMP balances out the overkill of high-end concrete-and-steel which surrounds it. It is a very nice patch of "jungle park" and I always enjoy cruising through there and relaxing a bit, especially on a hot day. And if nothing else, the food court at the back is a great place to get some quick eats without killing a bunch of time (and a bunch of bucks) in a restaurant. Among many other things it really helps the budget-conscious traveler.

I know the land must be worth a lot of money, and it is probably judged to be underproducing financially for the owners. The city is also eyeing the increased tax revenue which redevelopment would bring. If it does get torn out and redeveloped, I hope they will at least preserve some of the jungle-ness and charm of the place. This is, after all, a development on a tropical island and it would be a shame to lose that perspective especially in an area which has been built up with generally the opposite sort of feel.

Thanks to the tiki gods for Tiki Central and our ability to remember and preserve what we have left of the fun things from the past.

The lease $$$$ supports the Queen Emma Hospital in Honolulu, possibly the largest hospital in Hawaii, and one of its larger private employers. So the cash goes to a good cause and a hospitals operating costs are very, very high, especially if Medicare patients, as that insurance pays only like 20 percent of the bill.

Thanks, christiki295, I didn't know that. Indeed, a good cause it is!

Yes, a good cause. Nevertheless, still disappointing that the development does not show more historical preservation sensitivity to the IMP. After all, there is more than enough land.

And, I hate to think of that huge landmark Banyan tree being cut down.

K

I don't care if it's for starving children in Africa. The LAST thing Waikiki needs is MORE high-end
"Rodeo drive-looking"retail ..and that's EXACTLY what they are planning for the space. And our local officials are quite backward-thinking in terms of preservation: historical & otherwise.

On 2009-11-27 13:32, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

The same facade could be maintained, with the hotel and mall on either side.

At least the plan saves the banyan tree, according to section 2.1.
At least that much will be preserved.

Found these 5 postcards today.

T

from the proposal document :

The International Market Place Revitalization Project (Project) includes the demolition of all
buildings and structures on the project site (about 499,000 square feet of commercial space)
and construction of a new retail, dining and entertainment center (about 390,000 square feet of
commercial space). The 5.982-acre project site fronts Kalakaua and Kuhio Avenues and is
mid-block between Kaiulani and Seaside Avenues in Waikiki. It contains the International
Market Place (IMP), Waikiki Town Center and the Miramar at Waikiki hotel (Miramar).

The redeveloped commercial center will be generally three levels in height, however, the portion
fronting Kuhio Avenue will have a seven-story structure consisting of two levels of retail on the
Ewa side and three levels of retail on the Diamond Head side with five levels of parking above
(the existing parking structures serving the IMP, Waikiki Town Center and Miramar are located
on this portion of the site).

The Project is not anticipated to have a significant direct, indirect, secondary or cumulative
impact on the surrounding area in terms of public services and the environment primarily
because of the proposed net reduction in the total floor area for the combined properties. "

What a bummer.

Such a great site for fun urban archeology - completely razed :(

"The Project is not anticipated to have a significant direct, indirect, secondary or cumulative
impact on the surrounding area in terms of public services and the environment primarily
because of the proposed net reduction in the total floor area for the combined properties. "

Yeah, right!

On 2013-03-12 08:49, tikiyaki wrote:
from the proposal document :

The International Market Place Revitalization Project (Project) includes the demolition of all
buildings and structures on the project site (about 499,000 square feet of commercial space)
and construction of a new retail, dining and entertainment center (about 390,000 square feet of
commercial space). The 5.982-acre project site fronts Kalakaua and Kuhio Avenues and is
mid-block between Kaiulani and Seaside Avenues in Waikiki. It contains the International
Market Place (IMP), Waikiki Town Center and the Miramar at Waikiki hotel (Miramar).

The redeveloped commercial center will be generally three levels in height, however, the portion
fronting Kuhio Avenue will have a seven-story structure consisting of two levels of retail on the
Ewa side and three levels of retail on the Diamond Head side with five levels of parking above
(the existing parking structures serving the IMP, Waikiki Town Center and Miramar are located
on this portion of the site).

The Project is not anticipated to have a significant direct, indirect, secondary or cumulative

What a bummer.

Above ground parking garages these days are always sooooo pretty!

Why cannot the IMP do subterranean parking, or off site parking.
That way the commercial development can have more open space - and space for the historic shopping stalls, just like the Royal Hawaiian Center.

M

Partly because once you cut deep enuf you run into the marshlands that were there for ages making for various instability issues, etc., and there's aquifers that would be disrupted. Probably some zoning and other restrictions as well, plus Hawaiians usually have their issues with futher diggings.

Another postcard. It's almost the same picture that Zeta posted, but a few years later.

If you look in front of that white T-bird on the bottom left you can see the sign(cutoff)and A frame entrance for the old Don the Beachcomber.

Good eye, Mongoloid!

On 2013-03-20 14:00, Mongoloid wrote:
If you look in front of that white T-bird on the bottom left you can see the sign(cutoff)and A frame entrance for the old Don the Beachcomber.

As well as both of the Edward M. Brownlee gables (now gone)...On the top of the buildings...

HT

Niiiiiccccceeeee!

Way cool

Is that the developing company who is withdrawing their permit request?? So the project is off?

On 2013-03-27 09:06, Luckydesigns wrote:
Is that the developing company who is withdrawing their permit request?? So the project is off?

No. Queen Emma Land Co is the company that wants to redevelop the area. Outrigger and Beachcomber are the ones that asked for the permit to be withdrawn.

Oh... that's not AS exciting.
A step in the right direction though.

On 2013-03-16 12:27, msteeln wrote:

Partly because once you cut deep enuf you run into the marshlands that were there for ages making for various instability issues, etc., and there's aquifers that would be disrupted. Probably some zoning and other restrictions as well, plus Hawaiians usually have their issues with futher diggings.

All good points. Nevertheless, seemingly there is more than enough space to allow for a low scale outdoor mall on Kalakau, include dedicated space for IMP kiosks, possibly around the Banyan tree. The carport can be placed on the Kuhio side.
Realistically, the photo below suggests my thought, with the Banyan tree & IMP kioks in the middle, with the Pink Palace being the carpark.

What I am hoping never to see is an 'indoor" mall like Ala Moana:

On 2013-03-30 15:48, christiki295 wrote:

The reports talk about 3 floors of retail and the rendering is:

So, maybe slightly better than what you posted, but very similar and indoors (and not what we all love).

It looks like the group that asked the city to withdraw the permit owns the only properties on that block that wouldn't be demo'd:
The Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber (to the left of International Market Place) and the Ohana East hotel (other end of the block).
As well as the Outrigger Waikiki On the Beach directly across the street from the entrance to the market place.
I'd say they might think that all that construction might be bad for their business.

There was supposed to be a hearing on April 15th, anybody know what happened?

Just got this old brochure from the IMP detailing its old world charm.

Cool font.

Nice map of the quaint grounds.

Photos

And they call this "progress"!

DC

On 2013-04-17 14:46, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:

On 2013-03-30 15:48, christiki295 wrote:

The reports talk about 3 floors of retail and the rendering is:

So, maybe slightly better than what you posted, but very similar and indoors (and not what we all love).

It looks like the group that asked the city to withdraw the permit owns the only properties on that block that wouldn't be demo'd:
The Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber (to the left of International Market Place) and the Ohana East hotel (other end of the block).
As well as the Outrigger Waikiki On the Beach directly across the street from the entrance to the market place.
I'd say they might think that all that construction might be bad for their business.

There was supposed to be a hearing on April 15th, anybody know what happened?

I just do not understand why anyone would across the Pacific just to go into an indoor mall.
The Banyan tree is "saved" but hidden and so minimized that it seems likely that it will be pruned to half of its current magnificence.

Found these three postcards
I haven't seen them before
Look close at the lower part of the sign on right in the last one

Lower half of sign says:
"The original Don the Beachcomber himself presents nightly-
His world renowned"
Sorry I can't make out the rest!!
Anyone have a close up of this sign?

It was sent in 1958 with a 2 cent stamp.

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-06-04 20:54 ]

BOO. I am so UNDERWHELMED...

SAKS SUCKS

And I have decided that tours will stop on August 15, 2013.

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-06-15 20:07 ]

It is sad when history just keeps getting wiped off the planet and the developers keep building with no thoughts of timelessness. New is not necessarily better.

It's sad that today's world is taking over great historical places, like International Market Place. IMO, this is one of the few redeeming qualities of Waikiki. So sad!!

On 2013-06-15 21:07, VampiressRN wrote:
It is sad when history just keeps getting wiped off the planet and the developers keep building with no thoughts of timelessness. New is not necessarily better.

Indeed.
The irony is that the Queen Lili‘uokalani Foundation is a social service agency created to fulfill the Queen’s mission. Our commitment is to the orphaned and destitute children in the State of Hawaii, which operates a hospital and a children's center.

. Do you like TIKI? I do

This has almost TRIPLED in 3 days...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 357 replies