Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Flounder Paintings (• •NEW 11/30/04 Pg.14 • • )

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 193 replies

These are from my new series, Tiki/Robot. Go to my site if you want to see the rest.

Some burlaps:

Thanks and stay tiki.

Mahalo
Original Art by Flounder

http://www.flounderart.com

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-11-30 17:03 ]

Personal Testimonial

Flounder ROCKS!!!
Heya Flounder, Post the pics of the two Tiki Gardens paintings!!!
Can't wait to see 'em!
TG

http://exotic-tiki-gardens.com

Hey thanks TikiGardener and at your request here they are:
Tiki Garden Archway:

Tiki Garden Lono:

I need to learn to take better photos...

Mahalo
Original Art by Flounder

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2003-10-01 07:55 ]

T

That's cool! Portraits of carvings. I like it! Have you done any portraits of mugs? I was thinking of doing some 'still life with tiki mug and orchid' type paintings...

M

Wow. You really can paint. Very Very nice.

Here's some containers:

Mahalo
Original Art by Flounder

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2003-12-01 10:52 ]

Here's one from my freaks series. Check out the rest on my site.

Mahalo
Original Art by Flounder

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2003-12-01 10:38 ]

just got the lono and oro (arch) paintings, awesome awesome stuff!!! mui suave!!! folks keep this man busy!

one day I'm gonna discuss that panel idea with ya flounder...

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

G

sweet paintings! keep it up fish man!

that Crazy Al tiki is one of my favorites that he has carved

bump.

Heres some tighter stuff.

Mahalo
Original Art by Flounder

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2003-12-20 15:16 ]

Nothin stoppin ya son!!! Oh wait now I've gone and doNe it again...

Teeeeheeee!
TG

dude, I got to see the Crazy Al painting in person, that thing is way detailed! It always amazes me, how good stuff looks even better in person, and it was truely amazing. Nice job, I can't wait to get an original of yours! It didn't look like a painting done with brushes, the paint seemed to be applied by a precise machine, only it wasn't a color by number preciseness. Yup, it kicks ace, Great Job!

Tiki tony, thanks my brudha. I couldn't get a better pic, I tried many times. I was totally painting it with raw emotion, had a great time doing it. I'll be puting a new series on my site next week and I'll add some of them here. There mixed media pieces, mostly robot / tiki. I also started my first tiki carving today! It's looking pretty good so far. I never touched a carving tool in my life. Diggin it so far, love whalin that hammer.

Mahalo
Original Art by Flounder

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2003-11-29 13:53 ]

Flounder- I tried the "pot o coffee and beers," the other day. Things were ugly that day!! Must take some getting used to!?! Will try again soon.

Ah, you saw the interview. I'm not sure anyone else has.
The key with the beer and coffee is to drink the coffee first, it makes the beer taste all that much better. Coffee truly taste like shit but for some reason we all love it. I think the south americans are putting cocain in it to keep us hooked.

OK try this one! I did this at my studio about five years ago as an experiment.
I drank a large 24oz coffee and a six pack of mountain dew as fast as I could to see what would happen. I bounced off the walls all day, it was actually alot of fun. Result: The studios consisted of about 40 members, and at the next meeting it was voted that I was not permitted to have caffeine anymore.

R
Rain posted on Tue, Dec 2, 2003 7:48 AM

the last time i had a double double cappucino i was like that. it was great(kind of) for about 8 hours, at which point the crash occurred. that was not so fun.

DUDE - the ten commandments look GREAT!

The crash does suck!

The only thing that sucks about the Ten Commandments is I sold the whole series for $250 because I wasn't painting at the time and they had been sitting around for a while, I just wanted to get rid of them. Aghhhhhhh
There's some lucky sucker out there.

My mixed media robot/tiki series is done and should be up this week, yeah baby.

Hope you like my new paintings, let me know what ya think.

Flounder,

Your stuff continually amazes me. I'm a big fan.

-Slacks

K
Kono posted on Sat, Dec 6, 2003 8:43 PM

The new tiki robot stuff is fizucking outstanding! I especially like Ki'i and Ku. Damn great work!

K
Kono posted on Sat, Dec 6, 2003 8:52 PM

On 2003-11-15 17:02, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Damn it Tiki Gardener. I wanted it to go away so I can start a new thread with my new work. Thanks anyhow. It was the thought that counted!

Mahalo
Original Art by Flounder

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2003-12-01 10:30 ]

What's the story on this painting??

Keepin' it for yourself? Don't blame ya. It's awesome.

Kono, I want to frame the painting in bamboo with a leopard border before I sale it, I just havn't got around to it yet.

I also have 13 x 19 prints of it if your interested. $25.00.
Im also going to do the same with "Pele"."Pele"

Mahalo
Original Art by Flounder

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2003-12-07 12:01 ]

Hey Flounder, I'm fairly new here, but wanted to say that your paintings are cool as well. I especially like your Crazy Al painting. Your technique and color combinations are great! I just finished a version of his Tiki #11.

http://www.samgambino.com

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Dec 8, 2003 7:56 AM

There's a nice interview of Flounder here where he gives Hukilau a nice shout out.

Oh. Back in my serious partying days I used to make a pot of coffee and have a cup every 3-4 beers. It really does the trick. As alcohol wears off, it can make you draggy. I was aiming to stay up till dawn. Ah the good old days. I'd do that and still make my classes and kick ass doin' it. The metabolism of youth!

Thanks, it's an interesting interview!

Damn Flounder! I LOVE the tiki-robot series! I sent a link to your website to a few of my friends and they went nuts over the tiki paintings and containers.

More! More! More!

~ MaiKai 'na Girl

Mahalo all.

I added some new burlaps to the begining of this thread.

I love the Tiki/Robot series, especially "Terra Firma!" Beautiful!

Those new burlaps you did.......the one in the middle is a Leroy Schmaltz. I carved one like it from palmwood....it's on my website. I dig!!

On 2003-12-20 15:38, jungletrader wrote:
Those new burlaps you did.......the one in the middle is a Leroy Schmaltz. I carved one like it from palmwood....it's on my website. I dig!!

That one of my favorite Leroy Schmaltz carvings.

Very cool stuff, Flounder!

B

Flounder, I really Love the Burlaps, Wish I could draw and paint(can't draw a crooked line!)Maybe I can afford one some day . Really nice.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-13 06:44 ]

Aloha flounder,
I just had the chance to visit your site. Very cool. I really like the multi media pieces you came up with.

Chongolio

Thanks

Benzart, you may not be able to draw one but I'm sure that you could carve one hell of a straight line.

B

Yea, Carving is another thing. What kind of camera do you use. I have a Nikon CoolPix 950, a bit old for digital, but it takes great pictures.

I use a Powershot Digital Elph. It takes good pics, but when it comes to taking pics of 2D images I have a hell of a time. I always have a problem with glare. I need to set up a place to shoot pics with cross lighting, but don't have the room. My paintings are much better in person, especially the burlaps.

Benzart wrote,
Flounder, I really Love the Burlaps, Wish I could draw and paind(can't draw a crooked line!)Maybe I can afford one some day . Really nice.

How about when you start carving again (which you will) we can make a trade.
By the way where are you (Florida)?

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-01-11 20:16 ]

B

I would Love to make a trade, now I Gotta carve something.
I'm in Port Saint Lucie, south end, Where are you?

Ben
I'm about hour and half to two hours above you in Cocoa. Maybe I can come and see you some time? I know your not carving now a days, so what are you doing with yourself?

T

Flounder, awsome work on the Lono's.Next stop your website. I'll be in Orlando in April for a little RnR......

B

Don't do much around here now. I have a few home improvemenr projects Unfinished as of yet.I go to doctors 1 or 2 times a week, live on 6 scripts a day tryin to dodge the pain.My first back surgury was at 21 and its gone downhill from there.
Come on down I'm sure we could productively waste a day. Anyway 'nuf o' that.I'm not shure how I fell into Tiki Central but you're right about some magic goin on.
I'd like to shoot one of your Burlaps with my Nikon??

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-12 21:33 ]

I'm not sure if I missed something in one of the other threads, what happened to your back if you don't mind me asking?

B

Nothing like an accident or anything like that. My Joints just grow excessive bone spurs or something like that. Had 2 lower surgeries before I was 25 removing spurs. Had a Grape size chunk removed from my left shoulder about 8 yrs agoand had a Lot of Bone removed from my neck about 4 yrs ago there are 2 rods about 3/16 'x 4'with 5 screws holding my neck together.Last jan I had the Bottom Thumb bone removed on my right hand and last July the same on my left.
My hands are actually almost good enough to start carving again I hope.
I'm not doing badly at all recently other than being turned down for disability 2 times.
Anyway, my last post I 0ffered to take shots of your work and it dawned on me that would be a good way to get free use of your art....Not what I was thinking or where I was going, ,apologies.

Ben, I'm sorry to hear about the pain and misery and the fact that you got denied disability, the man is trying to bring you down! On the other hand I'm glad to hear that your feeling better and about ready to start carving again. It would be a serious shame if you didn't. I'm really glad that you found TC and I hope you stick around and enjoy it. It's obvious that you have been welcomed with open arms.
I'll try to come and see you within the next month.
Oh, and I never thought you were trying to get free use of my art, it never even crossed my mind.

B

Thanks, I'm used to the pain (40 years worth)
Within the next month sounds great, I get a Spinal Cord Stimulater put in this Friday and that should help a lot too. Finding TC has really helped a lot , I can't believe how this site has Awakened things I thought were gone.
I guess some of the "Ancient Ones" aren't done with me yet. We'l see.

S
SES posted on Tue, Jan 13, 2004 9:18 PM

On 2004-01-13 19:21, Benzart wrote:
Finding TC has really helped a lot , I can't believe how this site has Awakened things I thought were gone.
I guess some of the "Ancient Ones" aren't done with me yet. We'l see.

You have so much knowledge to share no way are they going to let that slip away!

K

shit...
you are amzing flounder...what is with the name flounder???...you never do it seems....MORE PLEASE THANKS! those multimedia pieces blew my head off!!!

much like soto...and that is DAMN good!!!

I dig Flounder's work! Check out this commission...

...schweeet!
Holden

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 193 replies