Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Flounder Paintings (• •NEW 11/30/04 Pg.14 • • )

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 193 replies

Holden
You freaked me out! When I first saw the suitcase I couldn't figure out how it could have been posted. No one else has seen it, nor would they have a pic of it.
Thanks for the compliment, you to Miles.

This might be a better pic:

B

I bet that Did give you a start!
Nice case

K

holden baby

you scored...i bet in a year this flounder will be so popular that you won't be able to spare the dosh to commission such a perfect beauty...great idea for a case man...CHEERS to you both! those of you that have a piece ...HOLDEN onto it...i mean hold on to it!

NOW HEAR THIS! this man KICKS ASS!!! scratch that...he kicks VERY SERIOUS ASS!

SOMEONE get this kid a gallery show!!! CHRIST!

i'm going to the TIKI TI tonight after i draw some nude beauty in my drawing workshop...CHICHI???

OH YES! made by one of the 2 men alive that know the secret to doing it right...the Mikes

Great case!

Man Flounder, you have the shading bit down solid. That painting makes you wonder just what in the heck Holden is gonna be packin in it.
Chongolio

Man Flounder, you have the shading bit down solid. That painting makes you wonder just what in the heck Holden is gonna be packin in it.
Chongolio

R
Rain posted on Thu, Jan 15, 2004 6:18 PM

yeah, that's a sweet case. it's also my favorite and most-used mug!

Hey Flounder, Stefan and I just got the two burlap paintings you posted at the start of this thread. They're amazing! Right away we had an argument about lighting, placement and framing.. A little too early for decorating fights as our ceiling is getting put in this week. Thanks again!
April

On 2004-01-19 17:30, kaiserstyle wrote:
Hey Flounder, Stefan and I just got the two burlap paintings you posted at the start of this thread. They're amazing! Right away we had an argument about lighting, placement and framing.. A little too early for decorating fights as our ceiling is getting put in this week. Thanks again!
April

It's nice to know my art creates such emotion, let me know who wins the fight.
In this corner we have Kaiserstlye weighing in at...
Please keep me informed as to the progress of the bar. I can't wait to see the pieces in place.

Here's a new burlap. Kahona the fire god from Tiki Gardens.

And a new smokin travel bar. Bali Hai

The travel bar is avaliable.
Please check out my homepage for more art.

S
SES posted on Thu, Jan 29, 2004 10:54 AM

That is great!

Flounder, you are really showin' your stuff on the new travel bar! I'm sure you must get sick of all the compliments, but your technique and versatility is truly impressive.

beautiful work flounder, my list of desired comissions gets larger, my imaginary fat wallet gets smaller

Not being a art aficionado, I just buy what I like. Flounder, I noticed on your site that it describes your work as Lowbrow art. I am curious how Lowbrow Art applies to your work?

B

Flounder, I believe each piece you do gets better and better.

On 2004-01-29 12:10, DawnTiki wrote:
Not being a art aficionado, I just buy what I like. Flounder, I noticed on your site that it describes your work as Lowbrow art. I am curious how Lowbrow Art applies to your work?

I don't necessarly think of my tiki art as lowbrow but alot of my other works like the seven deadly sins with cartoon charaters definitely falls into that catagory. Any time you bring religion and cartoons into the same catagory I think it makes it lowbrow. Under my Playa's section you will find the same.
"A movement to make art lacking highly cultivated and intellectual tastes acceptable"?
There's a good definition of lowbrow here:
http://www.picklebird.com/definitions.php
Do you think that my work doesn't fit into this catagory or were you just asking what it was.
Also, hurry up and post something again so your not stuck at 666 Post.

D

666? Muahhahahah!
I thought I knew what lowbrow art meant, but your work just didn't seem to fit the definition I had in my head. I always thought of lowbrow art more like thrift store art. But thrift store art is thrift store art...isn't it? I just think you are such a great talent. I consider myself very fortunate to have one of your paintings :tiki:

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-01-29 15:38 ]

Thrift store art falls into the catagory "Kitsch"

bali hai, dude, so impressed, I'm getting all sweaty excited just thinkin about it.

New mug paintings on canvas board.
Mr. Bali-Hai:

Steve Crane:

Suffering Bastard:

Here's two more, though the quality of the pics suck.
Frankoma:

Ren Clark:

Original Art by Flounder

http://www.flounderart.com

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-02-26 13:58 ]

B

Hey Flounderart, You've been busy, Those are Really nice. They almost look like Photos of mugs. I really like the "Suffering Bastard"

BEAUTIFUL work, Flounder! It looks like 3D. Is it oils or acryllic?

Hadn't seen this thread yet and boy was I missing out. Your work is absolutely beautiful and if it looks this good through pictures I can only imagine what it looks like in person.
After many looks and re-takes, Mr. Bali-Hai still looks like a mug to me. I'm amazed.

C

As usual amazing detail and shading. The Bali-Hai mug makes wanna reach out and grab it. Man, I am getting thirsty just looking at those mugs.

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-02-05 16:01 ]

C

I keep expecting Mr. Bali-Hai to blink.

Excellent!

New burlap I did for Hale Tiki.

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-02-16 07:57 ]

P

Very nice for Hale Tiki.
What a score for Brad.

If I act like your "art" assistant can I get some of your free drinks?

Awww - never mind - somebody's gotta pay. I'll use the money I saved by remaining a non-gold-star-getting outcast.

Cannibal burlap.

B

Boy,FLOUNDERart, I really love this one. You are really keepin busy...
Better not show all your stuff, you won't have any for Hukilau. Nice work and as usual you're raising the bar.
By the way, would you mind if I carved some of your work??

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-02-16 08:21 ]

D

I just wanted to post a picture of one of Flounders paintings I have (Uti) in a Monkeyman frame. Flounders paintings are so real looking it's scary! The burlap background gives it such an interesting texture. I am very happy with the final product. They compliment each other very well. Thanks again Scott!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-02-18 20:15 ]

Has Tikifarm contacted you about a mug yet?
that cannibal painting would make a great mug

Dawn, That looks awesome! Monkeyman did a great job.

Ben, most of the burlap tikis are not my design they are existing tikis that people want painted on burlap so feel free to carve them.

Tanked, there's been some talk!

B

Kinda figured they were other designs, but you put ancertain Spin on it that makes it yours. And they keep getting better and better.
Thanks

Sehr gute Arbeit, Flaunder!

On 2004-02-21 17:28, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sehr gute Arbeit, Flaunder!

Danke sehr viel Grosses Bro.

Yesterday, Wahine Marian and I had the rare opportunity to visit with Flounder and his soul-mate Meg in Cocoa. Flounder's place is not easy to find. He's way back in the woods where he can find complete isolation to work out his mad vision of tiki.
Even so, we couldn't resist the chance to visit what we were sure would be a groovy loft. We wanted to see where Flounder puts on his beret and throws paint on burlap and canvas.
Wow, were we ever stunned by the complete mastery he has achieved over his artistic environment. His abode is more than a studio, it is a complete statement of his oneness with the universal tiki.
So thanks for having us over on such short notice yesterday Flounder, and for making an all out effort to clean up all the torn canvas and broken frames, so we could negotiate our way to your legendary easel.

[ Edited by: kailuageoff on 2004-02-22 07:21 ]

Flounder!

I'll trade you a Tiki Bar for that Teal colored Trailer. We need one of those real bad to turn into a traveling tiki bar!

pm me asap!!!

Then where the hell am I going to paint?

Not only would Flounder not have a place to paint, moving the trailer would ruin the Feng Shui...

Actually, Flounder's place is pristine. It's so clean you could eat off the floor. You could even sleep in the closet.

Here's a couple new burlap's. Lousey pics as always. The Cannibal burlap at the top of this thread is probably the best representation of the quality of the burlap's. Live they are very soft with lots of depth.

Hawaiian Inn:

United Tiki:

Original Art by Flounder

http://www.flounderart.com

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-03-16 09:05 ]

Flounder:
I can't wait to see these in person. The Hawaiian Inn painting looks fantastic even online. Much better than I could have imagined. As you know, I was kind of worried about how you would pull this off given the fact that the mug is in that weird green glaze. Many mahalos braddah. You're da best! This is gonna make a swell birthday present to myself.
Monkeyman: What kinda of frame should we put on this sucka?
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-03-16 10:02 ]

K

BOING!

these are too cool man...have you getten in touch with the Mmodern gallery? or should i forward a link to you site to them???

you rule!

B

Flounder, I'm loving these more and more. These last 3 are Incredible..

I give you Savage Sophisticates abstracts. Enjoy!

K

yeah yeah yeah...

those aren't self portraits i hope...that is a nice switch in style my man...you get TIGHT and then you get loose...i love them!

more please! feed me!

On 2004-03-17 15:02, kooche wrote:
BOING!

these are too cool man...have you getten in touch with the Mmodern gallery? or should i forward a link to you site to them???

you rule!

Mile's, that would be great if you would forward my link to them. Since you know them it might help some.

and you rule!

Flounder,
Mahalo for painting the Hawaiian Inn knife-wielding tiki for Marian and I. We really love it and will hang it in an honored place.
As I've said many times to you, the idea of putting your paint on burlap is genius. It provides a warm and aged appearance that is hard to describe without seeing it in person.
We encourage anyone that is interested in your art to contact you and commission something. We believe your abilities are up to any request.
KG & Wahine Marian

On 2004-03-21 19:10, Kailuageoff wrote:
Flounder,
Mahalo for painting the Hawaiian Inn knife-wielding tiki for Marian and I. We really love it and will hang it in an honored place.
As I've said many times to you, the idea of putting your paint on burlap is genius. It provides a warm and aged appearance that is hard to describe without seeing it in person.
We encourage anyone that is interested in your art to contact you and commission something. We believe your abilities are up to any request.
KG & Wahine Marian

How fitting that it will be hanging in your condo at the Hawaiian Inn.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 193 replies