Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

PRINTS of the Tiki Ti's new painting!

Pages: 1 2 3 136 replies

K

This week is killing me, being stuck in Berlin...The Taschen Store opening, Miles at the Tiki Ti, Tiki Farm at La Luz...Arrrgh!
I feel like not the lost son, but the lost father.
Only relief here is that I was introduced to the RUM TRADER, a tiny corner bar founded by an ex-Trader Vic mixologist in the 70s, and run by his dedicated follower whose cocktail artistry is up there with the greats. And it's in walking distance.
Other highlights were that Andrew Burns, organizer of the Barcelona Tiki bar parties, was in town as Bowie's guitar roadie and got me in to see the 3 hour long gig. Gave him a copy of the BOT to pass along to THE MAN. The worldwide Tiki net at work!

And also, I will hold a little slide show at the Bassy Cowboy Club on the 29th.

Just fabulous! I want it, I want it, I want it!!!

MC

If you have an extra one, please add me to your list!!! I love it!! (but I am scared of the monkey)
Manic Cat

Yo Kooche,

I want in Bruddah. Put me in thread/on da list!

On 2003-10-18 12:41, kooche wrote:
hey tiki centralites

i wanted you to see this painting and know that i have spoken with a fellow tiki central member and carver extraordinaire to have a frame made for it to hang in...though i don't know how long it will be until it actually gets mounted on the wall i can brag about the fact that there IS a spot on a wall being saved for this piece at the Tiki Ti...LA's most exotic bar by far...

i have mentioned to the owners of the tiki ti that it might be cool to reporduce this image for sale...those of you interested in hanging this image above YOUR personal bar at home may want to reply to this thread and reserve one in case they commit to this mutual venture...quantities would be limited to 50 and i am confident that a few galleries here in LA and others elsewhere will want theirs...

if made they'll be generated near to 100% which is 13"X20"

the cost of a print is yet unknown but i will feed this thread info as i recieve it from my printer...ballpark price would be up around $200US ...i hope you groove with this bit of imagery as tiki fans and i look forward to seeing you with drinks in our hands under the roof of the Tiki Ti tonight! i'll be the drunk guy so come on over and chat me up if you recognize me!

also...a corporation called "macskinz"

http://www.macskinz.com/

has expressed interest in creating a product line representing my paintings...bytes from this tiki ti image will be remixed to wrap an ibook up in style! $75 a skin for the coolest laptop EVER!

thanks for your attention!

kooch-e-koo
aka
Miles Thompson

I'm in braddah Kooche! Drop me a line when you get um.

D

Kooche wrote

it is official!
The original will be hung at the Tiki Ti on Thursday November the 20th
Is this going to happen tonight? Just curious? Does anyone know whats up?

As far as I know, it's still happening.

The Velours will be there, too. Anyone else?

H

I'll be there.

D

I am hostess to a nasty little cold bug right now, I am hoping my hubby will pick up my print tonight on his way home from work. I was just wondering what time to tell him to stop by the Tiki Ti. a-a-ACHOO!

K

ok let's try this again...

YES it is on tonight! see you in an hour or so...

Danny came through BIG TIME with the frame carving skill...we have made plans to do more work together in the near future...for now...we'll drink to this killer combo...

a huge mahalo to you my friend...see you there at the ti!

[ Edited by: kooche on 2003-11-20 18:02 ]

Geez, Danny, it couldn't be more perfect! The little shapes along the top are very kooche-esque.

One incredible beautiful frame! I shall adorn my print with the (hopefully) the same.
Let us know when we can purchase ours.
Great Job!

S
SES posted on Fri, Nov 21, 2003 1:37 AM

"kooche-esque"

:wink:
Oh yeah!
That is so NICE! Can't wait to get mine. I've had it as the desktop image on my laptop since the day you posted the photo.
Miles has the magic!

D

Miles the print is great! Even better in person. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks TC Tribe for the Tiki Ti drink menu/get well card and my personal phone call from THE King Kukulele! I'm feeling better already :) I have to say, your the nicest group of people I've never met! Mahalo ~ a-a-Achoo!

Killer! How can I get mine put in that frame? Danny? I'm ready when you are.

Cheers,

KT

Frames, frames, frames. Miles and I were talking about this yesterday, so what I'm going to do is this, for peeps that wanna know.

1. wood carved frame unique to only you in the style of the original.

2. carve up a master frame, also in the style of the O.G. and make resin copies. The resin will look like wood and of course be less inexpensive.

I figure out prices for both and start a new thread in the collecting forum if the demand is there. Gracias

It was good seeing everyone at Tiki Ti's last night.
Yes, the print is much nicer in person and much more detail. Fantastic work Miles.

Now, I just need to get a frame...

Chiki, very good. I would go custom, of course! By the way, I picked up my solid mahogany bar top from Soboba yesterday. Now I have to build the box that it is going to rest on. The Ocean Room is coming along.

Cheers,

KT

[ Edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2003-11-21 17:12 ]

K

peep the rest of the pix from last night!

http://www.kooch-e-koo.com/GALLERY/HTML/tikiti.html

that was one amazing night for me...i saw people i hadn't seen in a long time...i got drinks on the HOUSE from 6-1AM (at the night's end i actually signed my name M L I E S on someone's print....i shit you not) and i FINALLY had the chance to see a painting of mine inside the tiki ti...gratifying to the max!

a special thanks to Danny Gallardo for the KILLER frame that he donated to the tiki ti's cause...you ARE the man...i hope you feel like carving some more frames man!

what a pleaseure it was to see so many people from tiki central hanging out in person...call me crazy but i have a hard time accepting that knowing another person on line is actually cool...but it was cool meeting you all...talking about a personal collection is 2 things at once...1 fun 2 educational...amazing what some people know about hawaiiana and it's history...carvers and schools of thought from around the sphere we inhabit... what makes a REALLY good grog...different strokes for different folks makes for great blabbering ...especially when you have Mike and Mike preparing your elixers...i love those guys! i love that bar...if you want to see my pix from last night you'll have to let this page LOAD UP!

there are too too many to post them all here....check them out ya'll!

[ Edited by: kooche on 2003-11-21 18:03 ]

K

Judging from the great pix it looks like ya'll had a blast mlies(couldn't resist)! It looks like a lot to TCers were there too.

Mahalo,

Scotty

S

Chikitiki-
I am definitely interested in working out some deal for frames. I have a lot of Miles prints and originals that would love a little custom home. Keep me updated.
Miles-
Thanks for a great night of booze, the prints, and your incredible generosity.

K

OK! the Tiki Ti prints are ready to be shipped now...as of this coming week i'll be advertising on my web site and on ebay until they are gone...

those on the list will recieve an email with details about how to make a payment for their print. if at this time you decide that your Xmas dollar will go further else where, you should reply indicating the case is such. if i recieve NO reply from the interested party i'll have to make the assumtion that the interest has faded and i will move their name off of the list so that i can make room for the next interested buyer...

thanks to EVERYONE who has shown interest in either of these prints. they came out beautiful! a special thanks to Harvest the print house that did an AMAZING job on this series of reproductions...they really are cool. for that mater a thank you as well to those that recommended them as the print source in CA...i'm talking to you Piet and Lisa...Andrew B and another who mentioned Harvest TB...all of these cats have had work done by harvest...happily!

a VERY special thanks needs to go to those that built own and operate the best bar on the west coast...you know the name by now and if you HAVEN'T been there i feel sad for you...make it a priority next time you visit lovely LA! you will NOT be sorry you made the effort to visit there unless you have more than one round and neglect your body's need for water...

looks like all had a great time. i was bummed i couldnt make it out to Tiki Ti for your preview, evilmastermind and i were working at `Ona Tiki late that evening. we managed to slip out last night, and mike and mike told us that your preview was a wonderful event. looking forward to getting a print, and hopefully we will catch up with you at Tiki Ti

G

ONO!!!! I missed this a few weeks ago but it's a beautiful print! great job on da frame to C-man!!

Kooche, please post when you send out the email with directions for payment. I have been getting spammed to death, and could miss it.

Thanks,

KT

Ok folks, I'm going to email y'all who asked about the frames. Kreaky, can you pm me your email address or...?

hey kooche,
sent an email to you but it was returned, please send me a personal message when the prints are ready. chiki, let me know about framing please.

K

hey kids

yesterday was a great day indeed...my little girl turned one...HAPPY BIRTHDAY AVA!

i am getting paypal set up and arranging shipping materials ....so until next week i'll have to let you all sit on it...i can still only ballpark around the whole shipping issue though i can't fathom it being more than $10-12 bucks for domestic speedy delivery...they're all going out UPS packed flat...international delivery will be addressed on a case specific basis...tax issues will certainly be an issue to consider

i do imagine that Tapa will be a little more costly to ship than the Tiki Ti as it is considerably larger...

to save time in the email rounds (if you happen upon this post while waiting for your print) you can drop an email to me with your mailing address and email address...this way i can get to the shipping with as little hunting for email adresses as possible...

[email protected]

i wish all tiki centralites a great big turkey or two ... bring on the pies!

see you at the Tiki Ti when they open again!

K

new improved tiki powered index page...dig it

http://www.kooch-e-koo.com

Here are my photos from that night:

http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/miles/

Those of us that were not able to make it to the Tiki Ti that night are still waiting patiently for our prints, right?

S
SES posted on Wed, Dec 24, 2003 2:11 PM

On 2003-12-24 04:55, Primo Kimo wrote:
Those of us that were not able to make it to the Tiki Ti that night are still waiting patiently for our prints, right?

LOL... I've sent emails and PM's and replies here to show I'm still interested because I haven't had time to keep up with all the posts here but no reply to any thing so figure he is busy till after Christmas?

T

On 2003-12-24 14:11, SES wrote:

LOL... I've sent emails and PM's and replies here to show I'm still interested because I haven't had time to keep up with all the posts here but no reply to any thing so figure he is busy till after Christmas?

Has anyone heard back from Miles? I was interested in the Tapa Print, but I likewise haven't heard back from him.

S
SES posted on Wed, Jan 7, 2004 7:26 PM

On 2004-01-06 09:32, Turbogod wrote:

On 2003-12-24 14:11, SES wrote:

Has anyone heard back from Miles? I was interested in the Tapa Print, but I likewise haven't heard back from him.

KOOCHE... where are you???

K

hey kids...apologies to all for the wait...i wanted these prints to be shipped prior to Xmas

the story behind the delay

a brown out hit my machine in december and after a minor surgery all of my info has been redeemed thank god...Xmas was overwhelming and seemed to engulf the entire month of december by having my family on the road to the corners of california every weekend...something i vow NEVER to do again...

i have been carving out a block of lenolium so i can officiate the authenticity of the print with a stamp of custom design...packing/protective materials and prints are stacked and waiting...

PAYPAL has been activated and as soon as i recieve notice of an order for the Tiki Ti print i'll ship it out...payment may also be mailed to directly to me in the form of check or money order...for my mailing address you'll have to drop and email my way to [email protected] don't want to post my address for personal security reasons...

[email protected]

is also the email address you shold credit with your print purchase if you opt to pay with paypal

the tapa print is still being arranged and i expect it'll be another week before i get my next lot of images from the printer...sorry

more info to come this weekend...

sincere thanks to Danny G and the Mikes over at the Tiki Ti...incidentally i had a strange dream last night that Mike Sr was the owner of a plot of land that contained top secret access to 1 of only 9 holes on the earth's surface that lead to a molten river that flows from center of our planet...i need must need more sleep or a couple of chichis...

aloha!

S
SES posted on Sat, Jan 10, 2004 1:03 AM

Glad you are okay...!
Thanks for the update.
:D

K

hello all

just a reminder that i am now ready to ship you YOUR Tiki Ti print...

i have finally implemented a system that'll protect your reproduction and speed your print to you while economizing the effort it takes to send payment...all you have to do is visit this web page

http://www.kooch-e-koo.com/GALLERY/HTML/prints.html

hit the paypal button that says "BUY NOW" this'll send you directly to a secure page with all the 411 i need to get you the correct edition...the only thing i'll need from you other than a payment and address to ship to is your TC ID so i can note your purchase on my list...

i've shipped 6 this week already and those people are bound to recieve in the next day if they haven't already...i am sending fed ex 2nd day delivery...you'll also recieve a collection of various beautiful island tunes old and new when you order your print...PERFECT for your next intimate swillfest!

the other option to compensate for the cost of the print is to send a check or money order to me at my house directly...in which case you'll HAVE to drop me an email with a request for my mailing address...

if you are opting to NOT endorse your previous election to acquire a reproduction...please let me know so that i can bump up the edition numbers for those that are still interested...you can send me an email or personal message notifying me of your decline or simply respond to this thread indicating such is the case...

MAHALO and ALOHA fellow Tiki Centralites...

i'm off to the tiki ti for a CHICHI!

S

Received my print today! WOW! UNBELIEVABLE! It truly is even better in person, the images online really do not do it justice.

Can't wait for the Tapa's print to be released.

Mahalo!

That Tapa print is HUGE! I've been enjoying mine big time. You just want to jump in to it.

S

Danny is right, Tapa is huge, same size as the original and just as vivid. If you got the cash, grab them both. I sit and stare at Tapa everynight and discover new stuff, I am lucky enough to have the original over my bed!

Pages: 1 2 3 136 replies