Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

x

Pages: 1 2 3 4 175 replies

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 23, 2005 5:59 PM

Hey man - love to see that website! I would be really interested to see how you do those frames. I would like to have a go, but I think my efforts would be a bit plainer in comparison to your artwork! You could make a white piece of paper look good!

totally speechless, mm....

simply perfect frame job. stunning attention to detail.

looking forward to seeing your website and sharing some carving secrets

Hey Monkeyman- Sweet work!

Holy Guacamole Monkey Man, great frame. What a creative idea, awesome stuff.

Simply amazing. I couldn't say anything that hasn't already been said. You are an extremely talented artist. I can't wait to say more.

Monkeyman, that is one of the coolest frames I have ever seen. The bone is a nice touch. Great job!

T

I looked throught these postings before but I had to look through them again from the start. Even better then I remembered.

Yes, a how-to. I was wondering how you got the small differences to color from the high -low spots. Yes those frame turn the 2D painting into a 3D mixed media masterpiece. Say that three times fast.

I just bought a new painting and you are the only guy I will let frame it. Also I got a couple of Swampfire prints that could use a simple smokey bamboo frame.

T

Hey Monkey, I just went to the frame shop today in my hometown and does it suck. They have only blonde "fake" bamboo or "fake" blonde gold which is worst. I want dark real bamboo. It would be for for a matted 12 by 14 and the carved one design(or carved picture) would be for a 7 by 10 and no matting . Just curious about the pricing. If you could PM me.

M

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2005-09-01 19:52 ]

S

Monkeyman that is sweet! I love it, and look forward to placing it in its final resting spot on the wall.

Your technique and talent seem to improve with every frame you do.

Thanks again to you and Founder, I feel lucky to have your guys art hang in our house.

Monkey Man-
That frame is beautiful! I can't belive that you can make a work of art even more of a work of art.(whatever that means) I really love the way you can make a painting come alive. Keep up the great work. Thank you for posting Photo's.
Later,
Spermy
P.S.By the way, Flounder your work is amazing too!! I find it to be very inspirational!!

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2005-07-04 10:02 ]

R

Damn thats cool. Cant really say much more than that..

Thanks for sharing.

man oh man oh man oh man!
I hope I'm on the list somewhere before 2010!

I'm really diggin' your foliage MM, your frames are sooo sweeet.

-Tw

TM

Nice work as always!

T

I always love your frames. Such great work..

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 4, 2005 10:30 PM

Cool frame man. Love the flowers - really makes the art pop and provides a good contrast witht the bright colours and the 3Dness, whilst not taking anything away from the art. Cool

Great work, Monkeyman. I really like the way the painted accents look.

B

Monkeyman, this one is really Beautiful. The carving is exquisite(or how ever you spell it) and the colors are truely unbelievable. Not too bright or too dull, just perfect. The only problem with this frame is that unless you are framing a FLOUNDERart piece, it may overpower the art.I may need a Frame for my frame. You REALLY NEED to do some stand-alone carvings. Your art has really gone through the roof.
HappyHappyHappy

M
Moki posted on Tue, Jul 5, 2005 2:35 PM

I find myself anxiously awaiting the next piece. Wondering what you're going to do next?? I love the plumeria and I'd have to say you nailed the leaves!

Great job again.

Your frames are kick'en some serious ass Monkeyman. I'm sorry but I'm glad you lost your desk job a year ago. Man that sounds awful but you know what I mean.
So how many of my burlap's have you framed now? I think they compliment one another very well.

M

Everyone,
Thank you for your continued compliments and support.

Benzart,
I suppose I could try and do a standalone carving but its so much easier to ship a frame across the country than a pole. And besides, everyone has room for a picture frame in their home.

Flounder,
I think that I have framed about 6 Flounder pieces and I have one more I'm working on right now. I agree, that the burlaps and frames end up being very complimentary with one another. Keep in mind that I am designing the frame AROUND the art so they are supposed to compliment eachother (hopefully).

I have 3 TikiTony originals that I also will be working on soon.

Theres also a Miles Thompson piece in the next several orders.

It gives me great satisfaction to create and collaborate with my freinds.

The next frame should be done within the next few days

By the way will we be seeing you at Hukilau this year?

nice work monkey mon love it!

K
kirby posted on Wed, Jul 6, 2005 3:53 PM

I think your work is fantistic. I hope i can get on the waiting list for one... Alot of times when i find a cool frame in the thrift store i will paint somthing that fits the frame. your frames are the best i have seen and it would be cool to paint sumthing to fit in one...

SF

Wow! Another cool frame from the man ... Monkeyman that is. Great work!

F

Simply awesome! I love the depth, the color, the design, everything! Your work is very inspiring. I'm always impressed.

M

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2005-09-01 19:46 ]

So Monkeyman,

You ever have anyone back out of buying a frame after you've made it? If so, I might be interested in buying it...I could make some art to fit the piece later...

PM me if that's the case. I love yr ART.

The skill level seems to go up on each of your frames, M-M. And each one looks harder to top.

A

I like the frames. I've made and purchased a few frames and these are cool. I love custome frames.

Mark Ryden Carves some of his own frames and sends them to Thailand where a team of artisans mass-produces/replicate them. Something you might want to check into.

M

I'm a big goose of a fan of Ryden, but to also give credit where credit is rightly due, Mark created the design of some of his frames (specifically for "Blood" mini-series, then took them to Thailand to master carvers who created them, and they are not mass-produced. @;-)

Rae

On 2005-07-08 08:36, AlienTiki wrote:
I like the frames. I've made and purchased a few frames and these are cool. I love custome frames.

Mark Ryden Carves some of his own frames and sends them to Thailand where a team of artisans mass-produces/replicate them. Something you might want to check into.

Very cool framage MM. I get a lot of comments on the natural bamboo frames you made for me, then I have to show them this post and blow their minds.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 175 replies