Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Attn: AZ Tikiphiles - Sept get-together

Pages: 1 2 3 4 151 replies

I just stumbled across this while I was researching art detour. Has anyone been to this before. It's 3/20-3/21 and looks pretty interesting.

http://www.azalohafest.org/index.html

[ Edited by: vwtikigirl on 2004-02-10 11:30 ]

Nice find vwtikigirl!-I had not heard about this before, but it definitely sounds interesting-I'm already spreading the word~~CD

Hello, Arizona!

So, glad to hear that your evening at Drift was a blast. I'll be in town for a couple days and would really dig meeting some of you. How's The Bikini Lounge on Monday evening, the 16th sound? I've never been there and would love to check it out. Feel free to reply here or send me an e-mail at [email protected] Hope to see you there!

-Weird Unc

p.s. Sorry I couldn't be around over the weekend, but hopefully a Monday night will work out.

Hey Weird Unc,
Aloha! I'll be the first to throw my hula skirt into the ring for an uncommon Monday night out. Just to give you a heads up on what to expect with the Bikini Lounge-it's not the prettiest place nor in the most elegant 'hood of Phoenix, but it does have that nostalgic tiki feel to it. Plus, it lays claim to being the oldest tiki bar that currently exists in the Phoenix area. I would suppose that it will also be fairly mellow on a Monday night but then again; you never know, right? Most importantly though, at least a few of us true blue tikiphiles will be keepin' the tiki torch burning brightly!~~CD

Hey all,
Another quick announcement I had previously neglected to mention regarding a very interesting arts event(in the spirit of St. Valentine's Day)coming up this Friday night-check it out:

http://www.alwunhouse.org/exotic.html

Anyone ever been to this-extremely fun and outrageous! Hope to see some of you there~~CD

[ Edited by: Cousin Dave on 2004-02-10 14:29 ]

C

Good find VWTG, I hadn't heard of that festival. Didn't find much online info on Art Detour myself, but will plan on ending up at Bikini Lounge on the 6th.

Cousin Dave, Alwun house is a place you have to go at least once.

C

Count me in for the 16th, WeirdUnc.

Sorry guys I won't be able to make the 16th, that's my daughter's gymnastics night. I'll catch you next time around WeirdUncleTiki. Have fun guys!

Wow, that Alwun House event looks like a "don't miss event." I went to an opening there several years ago and it's a very intriguing art space. Looking forward to seeing Cousin Dave and Cultjam. Sorry to miss you, Vwtikigirl. Have fun with the tumblers!

-Weird Unc

I just looked up the address for Bikini Lounge and came up with this: http://www.barstar.com/cgi-bin/phx_db/search.cgi?setup_file=details.setup.cgi&db_id=phx1014

Is that photo really what we can expect? I hope not, it looks too clean and wholesome!

-Weird Unc

Weird Unc,

No Worries-Wherever that bizarre photo came from, it definitely does not fit the ambiance of the Bikini Lounge! So for the 16th, is the plan to meet up at the B.L. at a given time, or would it be easier to rendezvous somewhere ahead of time first? Not sure how familiar you are with Phoenix-just let us know what you think is easiest for you~~CD

CultJam; That's exactly how Drift looked to me after a couple drinks. I'll only order one next time, otherwise I tip too generously.

Look at all these fun events. I'm so glad I joined up here. Can anyone tell me more about Art Detour? Who has attended one?

[ Edited by: mustdangsally on 2004-02-12 15:29 ]

C

People like that wouldn't be caught dead at a bar on Grand Avenue, let alone cross over to the West side.

I'm not snippy!!

On 2004-02-11 12:15, Cousin Dave wrote:
Weird Unc,

No Worries-Wherever that bizarre photo came from, it definitely does not fit the ambiance of the Bikini Lounge! So for the 16th, is the plan to meet up at the B.L. at a given time, or would it be easier to rendezvous somewhere ahead of time first? Not sure how familiar you are with Phoenix-just let us know what you think is easiest for you~~CD

Super! I'm glad that group in the photo won't be there. They look like trouble! I'm pretty familiar with the area, so I'm cool meeting you and the gang there. What time will work? 7:00? Let me know. See y'all real soon!

-Weird Unc

p.s. Will I get beaten up if I bring my uke inside there?

Well, I can't speak for any of the other die-hard alcoholics who may be lurking about on a Mon. evening, but if you do bring in your uke, you will leave me no choice but to rough you up a bit....Just kidding! :lol:

7:00 p.m. works fine for me-look forward to it.~~CD

Hey, AZ! See y'all tonight. I'll be the dude in the aloha shirt carrying the uke case. Bikini Lounge! 7:00PM! Come find out what's inside the uke case!

-Weird Unc

So guys, how was the bikini lounge last night?

C

VWTikigirl, we missed you! It was great to meet Weirdunkletiki and see Cousin Dave again.

Weirdunc played a couple tunes on his uke. We're going to have to make plans to see his band, the Mai Kai Gents!

The Bikini Lounge has a lot more tiki than I thought and an amazing huge painting over the bar. It's in need of TLC, regular patronage by TC could help.

Cousin Dave, my boyfriend and myself also met up with Weirdunc tonight at Sportsman's for his family's vineyard wine tasting. We especially enjoyed Judd's Cabernet. If I had to use terms to describe it, it would be sultry and engaging!

Man, I am sorry to have missed it! Sounds like you guys had fun. I am looking forward to seeing everyone again on the 6th though. I'll post the details that I have found on art detour online later today.

Aloha, Arizona and all Tiki Fans! What a super time I had out in the desert. Thanks so much to Cult Jam and Cousin Dave for coming out and welcoming me to Phoenix at the Bikini Lounge. For photos of that safari look here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6095&forum=2&3

Here's a photo of the gang the next night at the aforementioned wine tasting

Thanks also for coming out and sampling the vino fino. There's a fine group of Tiki Centralites in the Phoenix area and I look forward to more gatherings with this fun crowd of enthusiasts!

-Weird Uncle Tiki

I miss all the fun

OK - here's some info on our next get together. March 6th at Bikini Lounge, around 6pm following art detour. If you're not an art fan, no problem, just show up at the bar. I haven't been able to find the exact time that art detour ends, but last year it was 6, so I'm going with that til I hear something different.

I haven't found alot on art detour, but here's the main link. The following page contains a map of the area (which includes Bikini Lounge). Anyone who has been before feel free to fill the rest of us in.

http://www.artlinkphoenix.com

C

Art Detour is a three day event where downtown Phoenix artists open their studios to the public. There's too many places to see in just one day so one sees what one can. There are buses running all weekend on the tour route, the area gets bigger every year. Every year we kick ourselves for not taking our bikes. Also, there should be a silent auction of donated art at the headquarters.

When you get hungry, Willow Cafe and Paisley Violin are great bohemian places to eat.

I did verify that art detour ends at 6 on saturday the 6th, so let's plan on Bikini Lounge at 6pm.

Ok time is ticking ... only 4 days til our second outing. Who's in?

I'm in

C

I'll be there!

Will travel many miles to pay homage to the almighty tiki....plus I haven't had an alcoholic beverage all week--Let's congo everybody!!!!

I won't be able to get there until 6:30pm. I'll be in a long blue moo-moo

Just a reminder about the Arizona Aloha Festival this weekend... saturday and sunday from 10-5 at Heritage and Science Park. Free Admission. Don't know which day I'm going yet, probably sunday. Hope to see some fellow AZ folks there.

http://www.azalohafest.org/index.html

[ Edited by: vwtikigirl on 2004-03-16 19:24 ]

I've posted pix from Bikini Lounge in the photo section of this site. I haven't been able to log in, so I just registered again.
Sorry I wasn't able to stay long, but I had to be on the other side of town early the next morning.
~Sally

http://www.tikicentral.com/tikicentral/archives/view_photo.php?set_albumName=events&id=BikiniLounge0001

http://www.tikicentral.com/tikicentral/archives/view_photo.php?set_albumName=events&id=BikiniLounge1

http://www.tikicentral.com/tikicentral/archives/view_photo.php?set_albumName=events&id=BikiniLounge0002

[ Edited by: Blue Scorpion on 2004-03-18 16:41 ]

At our last get-together we talked about heading to tucson in April. We were thinking the first weeking. How does saturday the 3rd sound? Can the folks from Tucson make it that day?

Was the plan to hit Kontiki? I love that place -- although it's changed management, I'm sure it's still cool.
Also check out the old Magic Carpet mini golf with a ridicules 2 story cement Easter Island head "statue" you can climb up into.

Blue Scorpion - We talked after you left Bikini Lounge and thought a trip to Kon-Tiki was in order for our April get-together. Stopping by the Magic Carpet would be pretty fun too. We just need to figure out how we want to caravan down there.

Dave; still planning to throw a Tiki shindig? I'll help.

so is anyone up for a trip to tucson this weekend or should we try another time?

I could go. I wouldn't be able to leave until after 6:30pm Saturday evening so I probably couldn't get there until after happy hour. I have to work 8am Sunday morning, so I couldn't stay out getting wasted either.

Now that my password is working again--
Hey all, this coming weekend looks full for me. Don't forget First Friday coming up! But to specifically speak to your inquiry Blue Scorpion; I am up for having a tiki shindig(or any type of shindig)for that matter anytime. I just need some input from the gang as to how and when we want to begin planning for it.~~CD

[ Edited by: Cousin Dave on 2004-03-31 20:49 ]

[ Edited by: Cousin Dave on 2004-03-31 20:52 ]

C

I won't be able to make the trip. I'll post why on another thread.

Well we're coming down to only 1 month left until Tiki Oasis-is there anyone still at all considering to go? If so, we should start putting a plan in action?!

Mahalo~~CD

We won't be able to go for the whole weekend, but we're thinking of just making a day trip. Arrive saturday morning and leave saturday night.

TMF

Hey Everyone in AZ.... I am looking at moving back to that direction later this summer, from LA. How was Kon Tiki? Have they got their new mugs yet? I was in there a few months ago and they told me that someone came in with a bag of bowls and they turned down the chance of buying them cheap. I have been telling them for months to check out the site and the cuda, maybe now they will.

Ooh, you're coming back just in time for the "balmy" weather!

Tiki Mo Fo - we didn't make it out to Kon Tiki in April, but I'm sure we'll be planning a trip sometime over the summer. We're always happy to add a new member to the AZ crew. I don't think you'll be getting any of us to volunteer to help you move in the middle of the summer though.

I mailed off my check to Otto, so my husband and I are definitely planning on going for at least 1 day. Wish we could stay for more, but it doesn't look like we'll be able to make it happen this year.

TMF

I will be coming in the area for the next week. If the group has anything going on, drop me a line...... Of course I am still recovering from Viva Las Vegas, but I am always ready for Tiki...........

Greetings to you Tiki Mo-Fo,

Are you going to be in the Phoenix area? If so, I have a buddy also coming in town for several days next week and besides watching a lot of hockey/basketball playoffs, we are planning to hit some nightlife(including the two tiki bars here in the valley.) And of course if anyone else from the gang is interested then let's come up with a game plan for getting together sometime toward the end of next week~~Cousin Dave

Tiki Mo Fo; How did you like VLV7? I hear it was a let down -- car show/vendors shut down early, etc. Keeps getting more crowded and less cool each year so they say.

We've done Drift and Bikini. Now I'd like to suggest a little place I checked out a couple times called Tiki Tattoo (8310 E Main St, Mesa). It is a two-story tattoo and body peircing joint with rows of cool tiki poles along the porch entrance. Inside are masks, sculpture, and other decor, and some traditional Polynesian and nude hula girl designs if you are so inclined. I don't have any ink, but love the place anyway.

http://www.papaspalapas.com/about.html
http://www.dowahdiddy.com/tiki.html
Kon Tiki Restaurant
4625 E Broadway Blvd
TUCSON, AZ 85711 - 3527
(520) 323-7193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 151 replies