Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Attn: AZ Tikiphiles - Sept get-together

Pages: 1 2 3 4 151 replies

TMF

Great news.... I spent some time at the Kon Tiki today.... Of course I almost had an accident doing so.. I drove by as they were taking down the sign and I thought that they were closing their doors, lucky for all of us I was wrong. After 41 years they are re-doing the pole and frame around the sign... They are giving it a Bamboo look. I spent almost an hour talking to the new gm and he claims that they are bringing the old place back to what I remember it as when I was just a small buck... He even tracked down the carver for the tiki poles and will be bring him out to do some repairs to the poles after all of these years. He also has some great new shirts which have been added to my collection... He also told me that they were trying to do some mugs so I told him to give Holden at Tiki Farm a call, I had seen the mug style last time and I think that the farm would do much better. But I guess the big news is that I told him that the group was coming down to see him and the bar. So, please give him a call. I see the phone # has already been posted. His name is Louie. I think that if we give enough notice he would make it a great event for all.

As for VLV7, I thought it was ok. I had gone so my friends could get married in my truck. That did not happen and I was not really able to spend much time with them as well. I ended up with alot of time on my own, but met some great people, both there for the event and not. Of course that meant parting till 4am Fri, and starting Sat at 1pm and getting back to my room at 6am, what a day. The car show was pretty cool, but not as much as last year. I am a car buff so that is what I look forward to the most. I did see that TLC was there and I believe that they ended up shooting for Rides. I will be checking for that. I would be the guy in a blue shirt and straw hat on...

I will be trying to make it by the Drift later this week, but I am also working Country Thunder, this weekend so that plan may change.

Please keep me in mind for the Kon Tiki event. I may even post more of what I found out today as well.

TMF

Swillypuddy,

I heard that there is a new Tiki bar in Havascrew. Seeing that you are in Parker you may know about it. I heard that it is in the Nautical and it is only open seasonally. I just sold a condo there this week, but I maybe coming up in the next few months to look at where my new place is going up at... So, if the rumor is true let us do something about it.

Hey, I'm I'm in Tucson this week. Anyone wanna talk about meeting at Kon-Tiki? Email me; address is in my profile.

TMF

tikijackalope,

Well, I am back in LA, but please stop by anyway for a Maui Dawn and some steak on a stick for me. If you can ask for Louie and let him know that you are from the Central.... I do not think that he realizes what fans of Tiki are out there.

Anyone know the company name of the people selling Tiki Bars at VLV7 or what their web site address is?

OK - I just got word that I will be in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area from May 24-May 27. Anybody want to get together for a drink? I was thinking of checking out The Drift.

At Tiki Oasis, Cousin Dave mentioned there's also another tiki bar somewhere in town but the name escapes me.

PolynesianPop,

First off, it was cool meeting you at TikiOasis, brief as it was. The other bar in Phoenix is Bikini Lounge, but I would recommend the Drift, especially since you'll be here on a weekday. I'm definitely up for meeting up while you're here. Keep us posted on which day you'd like to get together.

On 2004-05-12 08:25, PolynesianPop wrote:
OK - I just got word that I will be in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area from May 24-May 27. Anybody want to get together for a drink? I was thinking of checking out The Drift.

Poly-pop, Sounds great! Count me in. Drift is 10 Min. from my oasis.

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire on 2004-05-12 11:17 ]

Hey Poly-pop,

I remember you mentioning that you might be coming our way, glad to hear that it's a definite and coming up so soon. Is your family coming also? No worries--just as any dedicated tikiphile would do during his travels, we shall make plans to hit both the Drift and the Bikini Lounge(just for starters!) Send me a PM with your contact info. and I will do likewise. Look forward to giving you a glimpse of our little paradise and having more time to visit. The "tiki-shotman" will be armed and ready for your arrival. Peace~~Cousin Dave

So what night works best for everyone? Mon, Tues, or Wed? I know -- its a weekday....

wednesday works best for me, my daughter will be out of school for the summer so can stay the nite at her grandma's house, meaning I'll be in no hurry to get home. More drinks for me :)

monday is also ok, tuesday sucks!

If it's Wednesday, I can go.

I'm free as well. No charge.

Sounds like Wednesday is the night! Please email me at [email protected] with your contact info and I'll reciprocate with mine.

What works best? Dinner at Drift then drinks at Bikini Lounge?

C

Count me in.

Hey there,

Had to take my computer in due to bad case of spyware, so hopefully it's been rectified. Any night works for me, so if majority rules for Wed. then a "hump" day tiki celebration will be in order. See ya on the 26th.~~Cousin Dave

OK -- so its Wednesday on 5/26. Let's meet at Drift around 6-6:30 in the bar. See you all there!

Sounds good to me. I plan to head over to a show at Rhythm Room around 8-9pm later that night, if anyone wants to tag along.

Cousin Dave -- I sent you a PM...

Poly-pop,
Gotcha on the PM flip side~~CD

Just arrived in Scottsdale. For those in AZ who need to get hold of me before WED, you can reach me on my cel at nine four nine, four one three, eighty nine hundred.

See you all WED at the Drift!

Dammit, I want to be there.
One day I'll make it.

On 2004-05-24 10:01, PolynesianPop wrote:
Just arrived in Scottsdale. See you all WED at the Drift!

Welcome to my hometown! Can't wait to meet you and the others at Drift. I just went antiqueing today and yesterday and found some cool tiki stuff. I even found a tiki shoehorn. I have never seen one of those.
-Mrs. Arizona

Just wanted to say THANKS to the AZ tiki folks for coming out to say Hello this week! It was cool hanging out and sharing a Bastard -- an Evil Bastard of course... and thanks also to Cousin Dave for taking the time to drive me around the Phoenix/Scottsdale area to show me the sights!

Mahalo Nui Loa ---

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-05-28 09:27 ]

Sorry it took so long to post the pic from the other night at the Drift, but here it is ...

From bottom left ...
Mrs. Arizona, MustDangSally, friend, PolynesianPop, vwtikigirl, SeekingTiki (, CousinDave, CultJam.

A great time was had by all. Thanks PolyPop for hanging out with the AZ crew.

vw

[ Edited by: vwtikigirl on 2004-06-25 15:52 ]

Hey fellow AZ tikiphiles,

Anybody planning or interested in heading downtown for First Friday tonight and finishing up at Bikini Lounge? If so, post back as soon as you can to make plans for meeting up.

Also, as a follow up to our most recent Drift get-together--is anybody still planning on heading over to San Diego next weekend for the christening of Mr. Tiki? Let's talk~~CD

Dave -

Sorry, short notice on the first friday thing. No sitter :( As for San Diego, my sig other is going to be out of town, so we won't be able to make the trip. Have a great time and be sure to post pics.

Hello!! Hello!! Anybody out there?
Where the hell has my Phoenix ohana gone?!

Hey Dave -

I've noticed that the AZ crew has been pretty quiet lately. I don't know if we want to plan an event for July, but SeekingTiki and I are planning on having a luau in early August, details to come within the next week or so.

-vw

The two owners of Drift Pacific Island Lounge need to hire a new manager. If you know of anyone qualified who is into Tiki, send them over.

Aloha Arizona Tiki Ohana! BambooBoyd and tiki-tina are searching for our tiki ohana here in the Arizona desert...but it looks as though all have been taking a siesta during the long hot summer....so, now that is finally (almost) Fall, let's crawl out from our hiding places and get together for a little tropical (drink) relief and hukelau!

tiki-tina -

Welcome! Glad to see a few new people in AZ. I was just thinking that it's been a month since we've gotten together and it's about time. We should plan a Sept. outing. We're always open to host at Luana Lounge. We still need to officially break in our bar. Any other suggestions?

-vw

[ Edited by: vwtikigirl on 2004-09-05 13:29 ]

T

Aloha vw...thanks for the welcome!

Golly...a month seems like a long time between get-togethers....perhaps it it time to rendevous again....don't want the natives to get too restless :)!!

As for us,since we just bought a new home and are concentrating on getting settled in,mayby early October would work better
(for us, at least} however we are always up for a gathering! The Luana Lounge sounds fab...where is it? Is that your own personal tiki oasis or a new place that we have somehow missed? We are open to just about anything, so keep us posted and count us in!

Mahalo!

tiki-tina and bamboo boyd

I'm going to need a hard core TIKI night on Nov Thurs 11th or Fri 12th staring at Drift during happy hour then maybe migrating to Bikini. Who's in?

It's about time someone woke up from the slumber--where the hell has everyone been? You all missed a good halloween party, I had it posted here a month ahead of time!! Anyway, I'm game for Fri-11/12.

Let's plan ahead for another time, as only two of us responded to this one.

I'll be vending my wares at a car show the next day that some of you might be interested in: Nov 13th, Marc's Grill, 3pm, 4494 W Peoria Ave, Glendale

[ Edited by: mustdangsally on 2004-11-08 00:07 ]

M

My Tiki Room is open now..... I live in Apache Junction, AZ Feel free to e-mail me: [email protected]

Sally,
Just want to touch base to confirm for tomorrow--are you still planning to meet at The Drift for happy hour--if so, then what time are you shooting for?~~CD

Sorry I didn't respond. I've been having log-in troubles.

DICK DALE will be here tomorrow (Weds) night for the Arizona lobster fest :wink:
King of the Surf Guitar; Weds 12/08/04, 9pm, Rhythm Room, 1019 E Indian School Rd, Phoenix, AZ
I have to work the next morning, but I'm still going. Hope to see some/all of you there! Esp the newbies

TMF

Hey everyone, I talked to Holden at Tiki farm and it looks like the Kon Tiki will have the new mug party in Feb. Please let me know what looks good. I am thinking of having us meet at my place before hand. I am talking to alot of us in CA for a meeting of the union, CA and AZ. Will post more details soon, real soon.......

Sounds like fun. Why not do President's Day Weekend? The 3 days would make it easier for CA folks to make the trek.

-vw

Tiki Mo Fo - You da man!

I may be one of the Cali tiki ohana heading out to AZ for the event, if its on President's day weekend (although I'm only 1 vote).

PS: where's a good, moderate(under approx $150 night) place to stay with a view of the mountains and/or desert? I was thinking of the Smugglers Inn?

Anyone else feel like opening their tiki hut for a home bar tour, maybe on Sunday night?

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-12-22 22:06 ]

TMF

I will be in AZ tomarrow for a week. I will try to iron out the details. Yes, I do think that Prez weekend is the best time. Stay tuned.......

TMF

I have talked to Louie and it looks like it will be prez day weekend. I will be in contact with some hotels to see about some room specials. We are also looking at Cruzan rum helping as well. I will get some details worked out and post for everyone.

Mesa is about 1.5-2 hours from Tucson, so don't know if anyone wants to make the drive up, but we're always happy to host a tiki party. Otherwise, we'll see everyone at the Kon-Tiki.

btw ... Tiki-Mo-Fo are you still in AZ?

vw

[ Edited by: vwtikigirl on 2005-01-04 10:19 ]

TMF

No, I am back in CA. However, I was thinking of doing a pre-party at my house since it will be open for a few of the CA folks to camp at. I was thinking of guest bar tenders. I have been to some other events and that seems to be fun for everyone. Also, I talked to Holden at Tiki Farm yesterday. He needs more info from the factory to confirm us making the Prez day dates work for the finish product.

TMF

What year is that bug of yours? I had a 62, and a 63 rag top, also half of a 64 ghia. My buddy in Tucson is looking for a 23 window. His just went up in flames. Can you help me out? Thanks in advance.......

TMF

Well, I kinda do still have a ghia. I have a 2004 crossfire which was designed and built by Karman. Even came with matching bags just like the old ghia's. Here is a link to a review I put together on it. If anyone is bored........

Pages: 1 2 3 4 151 replies