Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

DVD of Tiki // Out now!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 251 replies

P

The Pacific before 1900:

The Pacific wasn't invented until 1946 when Donn the Beachcomber created it out of limes and sand and rum.

James Cook and the Explorers:

James Cook was a bartender for Trader Vic who stole all of Don Beach's recipes.
The Explorers were the first surf band.

The myth of the South Seas Paradise:

South Seas Paradise was a Toronto Bar that had the first Mystery Drink complete with Mystery Girl.

The universal longing for the concept of "Paradise":

Everybody's concept of Paradise is different but they almost all contain a palm tree.
So the more palms you have, the more paradise you have.

Glad to be of service. See you in a few days.

M

Hahaaaa ha hah. Didn't expect it to come that fast… and funny.

[ Edited by: Mogambo 2007-06-11 07:36 ]

I saw the promo at the London Luau, very interesting can't wait to see the finished film.

M

Hey Guys,

though we were secretly aiming for a early release of the DVD at this years Oasis, and cant make it - we are happy to confirm that it will be ready this September. We are already planning several release parties in Germany and Switzerland together with Sven Kirsten and his new Book "Tiki Modern".

As soon as we have more details, I will post them.

On 2007-07-16 13:34, Mogambo wrote:
We are already planning several release parties in Germany and Switzerland

Well what are we, invisible over here?

M

The local release party is just the beginning. Of course we will make the DVD available to everybody asap. And we will think of a special event in the US.

I will find you all, visible or invisible. I will just go by the smell.

M

Special Promo - take your chance!

I hope that I got most people thru my email. For those of you who are part of this project and helped us,
here is the deal:

The DVD has a planned release for September 2007. So it is time to think about the finishing touches.
You have helped and supported this project. As a thank-you, we would like to offer you a personal spot on the DVD of Tiki.

A space just for you. A space that you can design to your liking:

The Contributers' Slideshow

It is a still image in the size of 1024 by 576 pixels.
See it as your business card. Put your promo on it, along with your contact information.
Or just put your face on it. Whatever you like.

For technical hints check out:

http://www.dvdoftiki.com/dvd-of-tiki-promo/promo-examples.html

The deadline for the "The Contributers' Slideshow" is 07/29/07.
You can email me a JPEG with 100% quality.

If you have questions, just email me. If you can think of someone I have accidentally forgotten, please email me too.

Also Biff ([email protected]) has offered to help those who are not so computer savy.

Please also email us the correct spelling of your name/company/institution etc. So that we can put them correctly
in the credits and thank you notes.

Take your chance to put your promo on our DVD. Thanks, Jochen.

This is going to be AWESOME!
I can't wait.

M

Time for news. We are still working like crazy. I am sitting side by side with my editor Christian. He is editing and I am doing animations and dealing with a heap of legal stuff.

But the train is rolling and steaming. As I wrote we will have a great release party together with Sven and his new book "Tiki Modern".

Here are the details for the European premiere "Tiki Modern" along with Sven Kirsten and Hai Kai and Michael from Forbidden Paradise. Thanks to Lurker Grand and his colleagues from "Klang und Kleid" we will have release parties in Munich, Berlin, Hamburg, Zürich and St.Gallen.

Especially the party at the beautiful Trader Vic's in Munich will be a blast.

I am sure Sven will post an update on this soon.

P.S. Later in the year we will also have our big US premiere in California. Nothing specific planned yet. But it is a must since most of you guys are in the US.

[ Edited by: Mogambo 2007-08-13 03:24 ]

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I can't wait to get a copy of this much anticipated release!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

M

Here is an update on the production of the DVD OF TIKI:

The incredible amount and value of all our footage led our editor Schlango (Christian) to a great idea: Instead of cutting a lot of the neat stuff out, we split the content on 2 Volumes. One for the past and one for the present of Tiki.

This year we will release Volume I: Paradise Found, which tells the story from the early European explorers to the heyday of Tiki in the 50ies and 60ies. Many of the present day Tiki aficionados help to tell the story. So you will meet cool guys like Sven, Otto, Jeff, Shag etc. already in the first volume. We cover the whole range of topics. The creation of the south seas myth, the origins of tiki, the birth of Polynesian pop, Don and Vic, bars, restaurants, cocktails, carvers, artists, music and so on. Over 100 minutes of amazing tiki material.

King Kukulele, who is the official voice of THE DVD OF TIKI, just visited us here in Munich. We did recordings for the narration and recorded two new great songs. The King composed them on the fly will dining at the Trader Vic's in Munich. Late at night we recorded the sweet pieces. Though we had little time it was a blast. Big fun. Thank you Denny for coming and doing the narration and the beautiful songs: "Adventure Land" and "Paradise Lost".

In spring/summer 2008 we will add Volume II: Paradise Reloaded. This part is also already at an advanced state, which makes it promising for a close follow up release. Here we cover the revival of Tiki, starting with a few good men who go looking for the lost relicts. Sven Kirsten starts out on his adventure of urban archeology. Otto von Stroheim, Shag, Bosko, Kevin Kidney & Jody Daily and Jeff Berry widen the path until the whole world celebrates tiki again. Here you will meet the who is who of todays Tiki scene. Here you will hear stories about hunting, carving, collecting, friendships, community and the big tiki festivals. Again over 100 minutes of Tiki at its best.

On the premiere of the Tiki Modern Festival we will show "Paradise Found (Volume I)". The release of the actual DVD will probably take some more time into October. We underestimated the time and trouble of finding and licensing footage and music from outside sources. We need to have all the legal issues covered before we can give the movie into manufactering.

Here is my call: If there is someone here in the Tiki community who is a professional movie producer or has knowledge about footage and licensing research, or negotiating with record companies and TV stations etc., please write us if you would like to help. Mahalo, Joe

The DVD of Tiki

http://www.armchair-travelling.com

[ Edited by: Mogambo 2007-09-01 04:28 ]

M

So we had fun with Sven on the "Tiki Modern" tour thru Germany and Switzerland. We didn't finish the DVD to a point where we could finally hold it in our hands and give to the people. Bummer. Still figuering out certain legal details and trying to make things even nicer.

We did deliver a one hour version of the film that we showed on the events and we were very happy that it was received so well. For the moment we ran out of money again so that we have to do some other jobs.

One of these nice jobs brings us to LA from the 9th to the 18th of November. That would be a great chance to do a sneak preview of our 60 minutes piece. I know it is very short term.

but who has an idea where we could organize a screening for 50 to 100 people? The screening would be from a DVD, Whe dont have a copy on film.

T

Hi jochen,
i preordered a copy of the dvd a couple of days ago, hoping not beeing to late. Man, october has past. Will there be enough copies for everyone awaiting your dvd? And will I receive it directly from armchair travelling or will it be klang und kleid?
I don´t want to be to unpolite, but in fact it is easier in german:

ich find es echt super, das ihr so ein projekt auf die beine gestellt habt, das alles neben der arbeit und dann auch noch für nachwuchs gesorgt habt :wink:. klasse ding, das.
Kann die veröffentlichung kaum noch abwarten. Die Tiki modern tour hab ich leider verpasst, leider erst ein paar tage vorher davon erfahren.

@ all the other tiki-enthusiasts here at tc. You don´t mind if i speak a little german to a german, do you?

Kind regards, best wishes and mahalo,
tok-tok

M

Yep, the DVD is still on hold and not finished yet. We are working on some othe rjobs at the moment. One is bringing us to Miami this week (from the 5th to the 11th of Dez.). I will try to set a a small screening on the 10th and show one hour of the movie. It makes sense to set it up near or in the Maikai. Ideas anyone? I will post here once we have a plan. Aloha.

T

Any news on the production on this? new release date?

T

Never mind, just seen the previous post with some info. Monkeys made me do it.

[ Edited by: thefuzz 2009-05-07 15:24 ]

Joe -- what IS the unvarnished deal re. the "street date" of this DVD???

I know about the issue with the music rights. Okay -- fair enough. I'm sure that would throw a wrench into things for a while. And then the original single disc morphed into TWO DVDs -- one focusing on tiki past and the other on tiki present. So much the better for all us passionate tikiphiles. And that would, naturally, account for further delays.

Interestingly, the 'Armchair Travelling' website currently advertises the DVD as being released in September... of 2007!

So PLEASE put us out of our misery as to when we might actually PURCHASE this elusive creation. Heck, even an educated ballpark GUESS would be appreciated at this point! Or is this legendary production really more akin to the fabled island of Bali Hai -- a mythical paradise never to be attained in reality? :wink:

Cheers & Mahalos :drink: :tiki:

M

Copy from the post "Armchair Travelling Gallery Website online!"
Aloha,

thanks for kicking my butt and pointing out the misleading information on the Armchair Traveling website. I just corrected all entries today. And set the announcing of the release date to "still uncertain". No more shaky dates.

I do understand your frustration with this long promised project. I am fatigued and fed up with it myself. And I have to apologize for my over-optimistic and way too enthusiastic approach. In the beginning I though it will all go really quick. (But I have to add that at that time I had a way smaller project on a lower quality level in mind. The movie as it is now will be full of sophisticated edition and 3D animation).

The truth as usual is very simple and unpleasant to tell. This is a very "unprofessional" project in a way. In fact it is a fun and hobby crazy idea of mine. Early on I decided to put a lot of my own money into it and soon realized that it will not be profitable. And I don't mind that. There is no boss or client on this, that gives me money or forces deadlines on me. And I am glad about that.

The other crucial point probably is that this project does not have my number one priority. Please understand that family and regular job come first. I do it on the side and I need the time and help of other people who also have to fit it in their life/schedule.

So much about the whining. Let's look at the positive side: 60minutes of the first DVD are ready and have been seen by several of you. E.g. at the Wassermusik festival (http://www.hkw.de/de/ressourcen/archiv2008/wassermusik/_wassermusik/wasser_detail.php) or at the premier of Sven's new book here in Germany (http://www.klangundkleid.de/events/tikimodern/english/). Who has seen it, knows the amount of crazy detail, intricate montage and countless animations. We stick to our quality expectations, even if it takes longer.

So whats left to do? Reediting of the music/exotica part. I am at the point where I will just cut short on the music. People in the movie will talk about exotica but I wont play it. The interested audience will have to research it for themselves. And tikiphiles like you, know what "Quiet Village" sound like anyway. So way pay 20.000$ for music. I simply cant afford the musical rights.

Also we crafted a 15 minutes prologue on the origin of the myth of the seas paradise. It is mostly about the time of the early European explorers and the history of the real south pacific. As you can imagine there is no film footage about that time, which consequently means lots of animations that need to be created. Which means lots of time to spend.

All this would probably take 4-6 weeks in a row if me and my editor Schlango could afford to take this much time out at once. But we will have to do it little by little. It might take until autumn or winter, but even that I don't know, judging from earlier experiences.

What I know is that I like what we have, what we have accomplished and that this won't die in a closet. We want you guys to see it and like it too.

Please accept my apologies for getting you all excited about this documentary. Maybe it is best if you forget it for a while. And in the end you will hopefully be surprised when it comes around.

Any more details that you are curios about?

Thanks for your interest, Joe.

Hey Jo, you take your time my good friend, when it is ready, it is ready. I love what you have done so far and am sure it will be better than anyone expects. Hug the family for me!

I once ordered a book in the making about the TV show La Femme Nikita. It took so long that all of us who had paid up front really thought the author took our money and ran. There were minimal updates as time flew by. Happy to say that the book finally came out and it was well worth the wait. It had astonishing photography, interviews and facts.

Bottom line...it must be so hard to announce these products to the eager public and meet deadlines. Projects have a tendency to blossom and take longer than planned. Better to do a great job than a so-so job just to meet a deadline. I pre-ordered, so look forward to this DVD when the artists wrap up what they feel is the best they can make.

M

Just for the records. No one has "preordered" putting money in.

(Only exception during the Tiki Modern Premier: On the Klang und Kleid website the DVD was a certain time on preorder but I asked the guys to take the item down because I couldnt garantee a release date.)

Jo -- Thanks SO much for your excellent and informative reply!

And now that I know the real story I am totally with Tiki Diablo -- you just take your time and do what you need to do. It'll be ready when it's ready.

And when that day comes the ohane will LOVE it and give you lots of well-deserved pats on the back! And I congratulate you in advance for all the incredibly hard work you have and still are obviously putting into this worthwhile but complex project!

Cheers & Mahalos :drink: :tiki:

M

Hey, no it's public.

THE MOVIE WILL PREMIERE AT THIS YEAR'S HUKILAU.
SO THE DVD WILL BE AVAILABLE IN JUNE!
VOLUME I - PARADISE LOST (RISE AND FALL OF BACKYARD POLYNESIA)

S

BEst news yet! I cannot wait. The preview I saw a bit ago was just incredible. This is going to blow minds!

Can't wait to get my hands on one.
Trader Bob

T

Kinda makes me want to go to Hukilau just to see it.
Will dvd be for sale at the Hukilau?
This is going to be a great documentary!!
Can't wait.

T

Can't wait but I have for years now

M

Here is the teaser for Hukilau premiere of the DVD OF TIKI Vol.I - Paradise Found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7H1liJlXk8

On 2010-03-28 07:34, Mogambo wrote:
Here is the teaser for Hukilau premiere of the DVD OF TIKI Vol.I - Paradise Found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7H1liJlXk8

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2010-03-29 09:42 ]

On 2010-03-28 07:34, Mogambo wrote:
Here is the teaser....

Hey Jo,
It's getting kind of old, you might have to change the name to Rocking Chair Traveling.

just teasing...:D

M

haha, you are right. My daugther and son weren't born when the whole thing started. this is more like a rare vintage red wine or a well aged rum that will be served this June.

(expanded the analogy to rum. thanks to Geoff.)

The DVD of Tiki

http://www.armchair-travelling.com

[ Edited by: mogambo 2010-03-31 23:35 ]

On 2010-03-29 12:03, Mogambo wrote:
haha, you are right. My daugther and son weren't born when the whole thing started. this is a rare vintage red wine, well aged that will be served this June.

Mogambo,
I would rather have a dark and smoky rum, if you please.
Mahalo.

(Good Lord, it does seem like centuries ago that we closed the Mai-Tai Bar in Waikiki with you rambling on about your project. Glad there wil be a vol II. Maybe we need to go back and talk story boards?)
KG

M

For those who thought the teaser is too short. A more detailed clip from the DVD OF TIKI collection.

http://vimeo.com/10748728

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Apr 8, 2010 5:21 AM

A big thanks from someone who has been waiting from day one

Jochen,
Excellent Trailer! Can't wait for the DVD to come out.

T

"For those who thought the teaser is too short. A more detailed clip from the DVD OF TIKI collection"

So the other day I was kinda bummed out, it was grey, rainy.
And then I checked out this preview.
All was better!!
It changed my mood on a dime.
Can't wait for this one to come out!
Looks GREAT!!!!!

when/where will this be for sale to the public, after Hukilau?

Jeff(btd)

So is this available for purchase yet? The website is still saying there's no release date yet.

I've got a paypal credit that's burning a hole in my paypal pocket.

M

Hi,

it is getting close. Though within a time frame that fits to the grand history of delays that the DVD OF TIKI already created. We had a great premiere at Hukilau. And we want to do some more color correction and minor changes to the film we presented. Right now I have to focus again on my regular jobs so it will take some more weeks until we can go to manufacturing. I am very happy for your excitement - we are excited too that it finally looks all good. I will keep you posted once I know the final release date. Mahalo

K

I had the pleasure of seeing this at Hukilau. Loved it. And now the anticipation builds for Part II!

I am really looking forward to the release of this!!!

H

Fantastic piece of work. Saw it at the Hukilau and cannot wait until it adorns my DVD collection.

Loved the animations.

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Nov 5, 2010 6:16 PM

Anything Anything. Any Updates

T

Still Anything anything ANYTHING?

gonna be old and gray when this comes out! lol.... wait a minute..

Bueller, Bueller?

T

Come on bring it!!!
It's all going to end in 2012 anyway.
Can't wait to see this DVD.

M

ok, here a little update:
Unfortunatly the DVD OF TIKI is not manufactured yet. At the premiere in Ft.Lauderdale we presented the prefinal version of the movie from a laptop.

We still need to fix some minor technical details in some animations, change a sequence due to content issues, color correction, titles etc. And for the final DVD we also need to work on the packaging artwork and the menu design and authoring.

The project was pausing the second half of 2010. We are now starting to work on it again. There is hope but I finally have given up on any statements concerning the release date. The project will sadly always come last after jobs and family.

We will see. Maybe someday this will be a nice little surprise treat, that you forgot a long time ago.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 251 replies