Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

DVD of Tiki // Out now!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 251 replies

B

Excellent Idea, double or Triple CD. Anything not to lose such historic footage. Maybe an "Editors Special" package with ALL the footage within reason??Huh? Huh?
"What a long strange trip it's been"

M

A tempting and nice idea. But actually 2 DVDs do cost double. Not everybody wil be willing to pay more. It is hard enough to compete with the common expectation of the price of a DVD. People probably compare it to the price of any other movie dvd they buy. But ignore that a blockbuster sells a million copies. And this is special interest.

My idea would be to release a limited collector's edition with bonus material for those who are really into it.

The DVD of Tiki

http://www.armchair-travelling.com

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:37 ]

M

This is velvet painting master Eric Askew at the CoproNason Gallery interview by connaisseur Greg Escalante

And a nice interview with charming Tiki Tony in his beautiful tiki garden.

The DVD of Tiki

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:26 ]

M

Attention-Attention-Attention
Today the 25th of October 2004, I am posting the very last call for any kind of material that you would like to offer for the making of the "DVD of Tiki". If you think you have rare and exciting film material that you think is worth sharing with the tiki community please hurry an drop us a line within the next 7 days. We have to get this going because postproduction has to move on. The audience cannot wait forever. The release date has been scheduled now for Spring 2005! Please think about it. If you have Super8, Video or simmilar give us notice and we will arrange the rest. This is the last call. Cheers.

The DVD of Tiki

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:23 ]

Mogambo,

I pm'd you a while ago about some footage (more than 60 minutes) I have from International Tiki Day 2003 (The very first one). If you are interested I could contribute.

I used a Canon GL1 to film it along with shotgun mic and cordless mic. The quality is good.

I have interviews and shout outs from many prominent TC members and known personalities in the group.

Let me know.

M

Monkeyman, that is great. I would love to see it. I will pm you more details. Mahalo

The DVD of Tiki

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:23 ]

M

Rumour has it that Armchair Travelling will be part of the Grand Opening of the Tabou Tiki Room in Berlin with a special surprise. Stay tuned. More details in the next days. Grand opening is on the 13th of November!

(Release of the DVD of Tiki is scheduled for Spring 2005 by the way)

The DVD of Tiki

[ Edited by: mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:17 ]

M

Just 3 more weeks to Tiki Oasis. And we tried so hard to get the DVD of TIKI ready for that event. But it is just too much detail work to do. Dont worry though. We are making great progress. And we will screen a 20min Teaser during the Oasis. To give all of you who are patiently and impatiently waiting an exciting dose of the final product. Christian (who some of you know from the last Hukilau, my editor and cameraman) and me will arrive in LA on the 3rd of May and be in Palm Springs for the entire Oasis Time. We are very excited to show what we have been working on. Hopefully we will find your understanding for the delay in production. We want this DVD to be the best thing possible. That is the reason we dont kick it out halfdone. Right now we are mostly slowed done by legal stuff and obtaining rights etc. It is hard to get the music and vintage footage we would like to include without having the proper budget to do so. And whenever you dont have money, you have to use time to find a work around. We are getting there. And it will be the real deal. See you at the Oasis. Mahalo.

The DVD of Tiki

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2005-04-16 03:23 ]

so whats the chances you'll have it ready for exotica or hukilau???....cant wait to get it !

OH.MY.TIKI.

I just got so excited reading about this project, I think I peed my pants a little.

A tiki MOVIE? Where can I get one? Where do I sign up? ME WANT! ME WANT!

~L

P

I can't believe I missed this WHOLE deal....WOW! Sounds great. I look forward to seeing it.....maybe stock it in Australia....??

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Aug 5, 2005 8:42 AM

Any word on the release date? Can't wait.

On 2005-08-05 08:42, teaKEY wrote:
Any word on the release date? Can't wait.

I think Jochen and his lovely wife are a little preoccupied with the release date of their daughter right now, she is due in about 4 weeks. :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2005-08-05 12:27 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Aug 5, 2005 4:01 PM

Lets see, what part of the world were they in seven months ago. It sounds like a better trip than they lead us to believe. :wink: Thanks for a update of sorts BigBro.

M

Yeah Bigbro is right. Thanks for explaining the delay. We are very excited to become parents in the next weeks!!! Concerning the release date of the DVD I think I have to be careful. I am still shooting here and there, and I still get cool material from other people. We are past the 130 hours of footage. It is crazy. I just keep buying harddisk space. Several Terabyte now. And remember that I have to do it besides my regular job, :) But steady and slowy we make progress. Some of you might have had the chance to see our 20min. preview. So far it was shown at Tiki Oasis, Exotica in Chicago, Filmwerkstatt in München and juts recently at the Luau Night in the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. Please be more patient with me and the project.

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Aug 6, 2005 6:54 AM

On one hand, I say, take as long as you need to make this as prefect and full as possible. This is a one time project perhaps, and include all you can. Make it a 2 DVD set! On the other hand, if it's "ready" sell it now and then keep working and sell a new version in a year with more scenes and keep it going. I have no idea how plausible that is, but, I essentially want to see it be a packed full of goodness as possible and I want to see it now, so... If you can do both, even better!

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Aug 6, 2005 5:21 PM

I agree with Swanky. I can't wait but take your time. Man I was at Exotica for the first half and I missed out. I didn't even know that I was going to be shown. Bummer.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, now about showing the twenty minutes to TC over the net. We can agree on the week to show it just to tide me over. That little 10 sec clip isn't cutting it anymore. And you can make a super collector's edition that is edited down to 100 hours. There are people that will surely buy a DVD with more extras than the basic DVD that can also be released. Just make sure that the ones that want it, are able to obtain it.

Anyways, good luck with the two births.

V
virani posted on Mon, Aug 8, 2005 9:44 AM

On 2005-08-06 03:29, Mogambo wrote:
Some of you might have had the chance to see our 20min. preview. So far it was shown at Tiki Oasis, Exotica in Chicago, Filmwerkstatt in München and juts recently at the Luau Night in the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. Please be more patient with me and the project.

And also at the Paradirama exhibition in the south of France. It looks amazingly good.

M

Thank you my little french friend. Good to here that the stuff arrived in Sete. So far I had no feedback if it worked out. I will give you a call to hear it in detail. Take good car of our friend the ukulele player...

Do you have a name for the baby? How about Moai Rapa-Nui Mogambo?

M

Her name will be Lilo!

On 2005-08-08 14:12, Mogambo wrote:
Her name will be Lilo!

Lilo Rapa-Nui Mogambo?

V
virani posted on Mon, Aug 8, 2005 3:20 PM

On 2005-08-08 14:12, Mogambo wrote:
Her name will be Lilo!

Lilo from Lilo & Stitch ?

M

No, Lilo from Joe and Tanja. hehe. My grandmas name was Lilo, and it is a Hawaiian name too. Perfect. I think it means "the generous"…does someone know better?

On 2005-08-08 15:27, Mogambo wrote:
No, Lilo from Joe and Tanja. hehe. My grandmas name was Lilo, and it is a Hawaiian name too. Perfect. I think it means "the generous"…does someone know better?

Hey! Congrats on the baby!! Lilo cool cool name! Get sleep!

M

Aloha, I would like to give a long overdue update on the Tiki DVD. As you can see on the website I deleted the release date. Because there still is so much work to do and right now it is to unsecure to promise any dates and get your hopes up. I'd rather not get you excited and disappoint you. Sorry for stretching your patience. A big job for my production company is one reason for the delay. We did the entire on air design and promo for a german tv station. But the bigger and even greater reason for the delay can be found here:

http://www.dvdoftiki.com/Lilo.html

Mahalo for your understanding and support, Jochen.

M

Aloha,

for those of you who didn't get a chance to see the preview of the DVD OF TIKI, it is now online:

THE TIKI PREVIEW

So far shown at: The Tiki Oasis 2005, Palm Springs | Exotica 2005, Chicago | Luau Night at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood | Tiki Cinema Night, Munich | Paradirama, Sete in France

I hope this sweetens the wait.

T

"Now that the cat is out of the bag, how about showing the twenty minutes to TC over the net -teakey" Sweet

I'm going to watch this in a Sec. and I can't wait. This will be the longest tiki clip that is probably on the net. Better than any trailer that Hollywood would give.

Thanks, this will start the day off right for me and many others.

The surgeon general advises that watching this preview will make you more crazy for the dvd.....AWESOME!!!!!

T

11-17 to now 7-17. What could be the best film to come out this year (over pirates and better than Superman). Any word on how much more the world has to wait.

And would still like the super duper deluxe version please.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 17, 2006 6:54 PM

Agreed! Edit the jumpy stuff out, leave everything else in, slap it on the bum and print the thing! If they forget something, do another version next year! We're hungry - kill the pig!

M

You guys are right! I want that thing to come out to. It has to be this year. Damn thing is that now my editor got a baby, just two days ago. He is lost for the next time. But I appreciate your strong interest and support…and that you make fire under my ass! Something has to happen.

On 2006-07-17 23:30, Mogambo wrote:
You guys are right! I want that thing to come out to. It has to be this year. Damn thing is that now my editor got a baby, just two days ago. He is lost for the next time.

well, he wont be getting much sleep, so he might as well edit while he's up!

truely one of the highlights of Oasis was sitting on the grass and watching your videoclip... and wanting to see it all!! or again!

M

True, he will be a restless zombie the next days. haha. Thanks for the kind words.

I've been looking forward to this movie for a long time and was wondering what the latest is on finishing it and getting it released?

M

Yeah, it is definitely time for an update. Producing this DVD is a hard learning process. It started rough and quick. In the beginning I thought the DVD would be ready within a year. It took a while to find out that you can not produce such a big thing "on the side", while doing other stuff. My editor an I thought we can do it in between our regular job or maybe at night. But no we know. it just does not work like that. Especially since we both became papas. You work on the job that pays your rent and spend the time that you have left on your family. The conclusion is that it only works on a paid basis. I need to hire an editor that works some weeks straight on this until it is finished. And pay a reasonable amount of money. I am figuring out how to handle this right now. There is no easy way to get this DVD ready.

The plan is to get it ready this year! This autumn, maybe even for Oasis. It will cost me and I have to take that risk. But on the other hand I know that it will be worth it and I also want this thing to be finally finished and share it with all you patient and passionate people. I am sorry that it is taking so long. It felt bad last time I came to the hukilau with empty hands.

So lets keep the fingers crossed. I will post again, when I have started the full force editing and progress is happening.

Mahalo, Joe

Joe, You take the time you need. I am sure it will be worth the wait. How are you guys over there, well I hope. Send me some pics of the familia and say hi to all.

Now back to our program.

M

YIPEEEE!!!

good news, ...we are finally making progress with the DVD. My editor is working on it for six weeks straight. Daily. The last years we tried to do it besides our regluar jobs on a friendship base. But it does not work with a project of this scale. So, I scrapped my money together, so that I can book and pay him to work steady on it. Man, it's exciting. Christian, my editor, is doing a hell of a job. He is puzzling all the interview pieces together, so that they create a big dialogue. We have split the documentary in 3 chapters: Pre-Tiki (The real South Seas), The Tiki-Heydays (50s/60s) and The Tiki Revival (present day).

I just booked a flight to the Hukilau. Can't miss it. The idea is to shoot some last bits and pieces that we found were missing in our edit right now.

Our aim is to be done with the editing and the fine polish by middle/end of summer. Then we still have plenty to do with mixing, art work, manufacturing, rights and legal issues etc. My aim is to have it ready by the end of the year. And finally I can really envision it. Thanks for your patience.

The DVD of Tiki

[ Edited by: Mogambo 2007-05-15 14:34 ]

Mogambo!
We thought you fell off the planet.

M

Almost...in February I did climb Mount Kilimanjaro...that almost wiped me. :wink:

Diary Above Africa
Text in German, but the images are universal

The DVD of Tiki

[ Edited by: Mogambo 2007-05-15 14:41 ]

P

That's great news right there.
This time, I'LL bring the Ron Pampero.

Looking forward to seeing you again.
Safe travel.

Wow...you are quite the consumate traveler!!! I am looking forward to the DVD too and know that it takes a long time to get a good product produced. I'm sure everyone will appreciate the time and energy you have invested in your project. :)

M

Hey, big news: We made good progress and are fixing the release of the DVD for September 2007!

hey mogambo, i will be in munich for oktoberfest this year, veilleicht we can meet for a bayerisch mai tai.

On the 2005 NW Tiki Crawl, on the third day, the home bar tour, a short film about tiki culture was shown aboard the bus. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm surmising what was shown was a promotional sampler of what is soon to come?

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 5:34 PM

Just incase you didn't see it.

middle of page

M

WoW. I did not see this cute little bastard. Great. Can I see it from other angles?

M

On Hukilau 2007 I will be filming the very last bits and pieces for the DVD.

I am looking for someone who has scientific/philosophic knowledge on the following topics:

The Pacific before 1900
James Cook and the Explorers
The myth of the South Seas Paradise
The universal longing for the concept of "Paradise"

I am sure that some of you guys are working on some funny responses to this. :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 251 replies