Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Gecko's Exotica Mug Available Soon!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies

C

As of 5/4/04 they are still available so I tried to order one again. Third time is the tiki charm right!

Chongolio

G
GECKO posted on Tue, May 4, 2004 10:28 PM

Trader Woody thanks for da pic! and as I sed da first time MAHALOZ MAHALOZ MAHALOZ to you all! I jus wen talked to braddah Holden a couple of days ago and he said there is ONLY 20 MUGS LEFT(yes!)for this first time one of a kind design! It took me some time befor I got the go from Mr.Denny on this project so there will not be another Martin Denny mug out! once this baby is gone it's gone.
the first 150 mugs are being mailed out first.

I'm glad you guys liked da first buggah!

Peddro, brah I tink Holden got you already? go to da farms website in case you haven't got one yet. Like I said there's still 20 pcs.

I hope everyone who ordered gets there mug without any probs. Please keep me informed with your stories of them popping in da mail and pictures are great!

Mahalo'z peopo!

T

I recieved my mug last Friday and was excited to add it to my collection. Today I received another one, but I only ordered one. Anyone else get double-shipped?

T

My three newest friends, Exotica #23 arrived a few days ago and my Hale Tiki "Twins" arrived this morning. Deep South meet South Pacific!

TB

I hope my Hale tiki is waiting for me after work!

Wow! the mythical Hale' Tiki mug does exist! Still waiting, but in the mean time, I can drink out of my #28 red-inked Exotica mug. It arrived friday at work and a co-worker kindly opened it for me when I wasn't around so that I wouldn't have to fuss with all that joy of opening the package crap. I'm just glad she didn't drop it.

-Z

On 2004-05-04 18:58, PEDDRO wrote:
I think I might have missed out on my Gecko mug.....I dunno.

Any hear speak to Holden often?? Could you pass on this message PLEASE? I think I might have problems with my emails.

I've sent emails and PMs but getting no response.

Holden: if you see this can you let me know if you've seen an email from "[email protected]" or "[email protected]" please? I'll check back here often too.

[ Edited by: PEDDRO on 2004-05-04 18:59 ]

Hi Wayne,
You're confirmed - I haven't received any pm's or emails. We've shipped through #237 and Jorge (my whs. guy) is down at my main factory in Mex today through Sunday. We'll resume shipping next Monday and should complete the shipments by Tuesday/Wednesday at the latest with yours included.

N

I just got #80. Its one sweeeeet mug! Gecko and Da Farm did a awsome job.

#119 jest touched down hyar. sweeeeeeet!

the gods of the internet were angry the day i emailed the first time, so i'm glad the second time was a charm.

mahaozzzz GECKO! the velvet wahine is starting sing her siren song in my mind... j$

C

Thanks Gecko, Holden and all the Tiki Farmers. #156 knocked on my door today. Glad I didn't miss my opportunity to own such an eye poppin' mug.
cheers,

Chongolio

Son Of Gecko (SOG)114 arrived at my home today. Cheers Gecko, great work man. Cheers Holden.
I christened SOG with a few extra strong and delicious MatTai's

'Kon meet SOG'

'amongst friends'

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-05-05 15:04 ]

P
PEDDRO posted on Wed, May 5, 2004 4:46 PM

Hi Wayne,
You're confirmed - I haven't received any pm's or emails. We've shipped through #237 and Jorge (my whs. guy) is down at my main factory in Mex today through Sunday. We'll resume shipping next Monday and should complete the shipments by Tuesday/Wednesday at the latest with yours included.

Holden, I've sent an email to the tiki farm email.....subject is: "ATTENTION please...."

M

A golden day in TC paradise. Gecko/Exotica #62 arrives minutes after a colbalt blue Hale Tiki mug is delivered. On this date it seems appropriate to remember those people who waited patiently for a very different shipment that never arrived.
In 1912, 10,000 cases of mayonnaise were loaded in the cargo hold of a ship in England bound for Vera Cruz Mexico. That ship was the Titanic!
The shipment, obviously never made it and the condiment starved Mexican people were devastated. A national day of mourning was declared and to this day the great tragedy is
observed still. It is, of course, known as Sinko de Mayo.

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2004-05-06 03:31 ]

Got mine today!
Gecko and Holden,
Thanks for a very special mug!

the mugs are gone pepo... all sold-out!

hey holden and gecko,

i was marvelling last night at the technical complexity of this mug. is there any way we can see design/process photos of the mug, or at least its mold?

thx. j$

K
Kono posted on Thu, May 6, 2004 12:03 PM

Number #66 arrived today. Beautiful mug!

B
BaronV posted on Thu, May 6, 2004 4:26 PM

[ Edited by: BaronV 2005-07-19 17:07 ]

Aloha,

So mug #45 arrived at its new home in Santa Cruz today.

I just took the mug out of the box, peeled back the tape from the styrene wrapping and all I can say is WOW! This is an incredible mug. One of the finest I have seen.

Thanks Gecko and everyone at Tiki Farm for their efforts and being so nice on the phone and via email. Top notch all the way...

B

GEECKKKKOOO...,.Fedex guy pulls up this morning and What did he bring??? #78
My FIRST MUG, my GECKO Mug. It is Beautiful, I Love it and I'm Proud of it. I'm Happy about it and Glad I got it.
GECKO ROOCKSSSS

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-05-07 19:34 ]

D

#204 arrived in Seattle ~ and THIS time the FedEx guy actually waited long enough for me to get the dogs under control so i could get to the door..

ooh its sweet.. and its MINE, my precious...

N

Anyone have a map on their wall with push pins on which numbered mug is going where? And who are the lucky ones with the red Gecko writing? I hear you get a free admission to his secret carving studio with one and a life time supply of tikis.

I just got my Gecko mug too...badass! Good ol' # 154. Thanks Holden and Gecko, great job, and I hope you guys collaborate ideas again. Definitely one of the best mugs I have seen so far.

S
SES posted on Sun, May 9, 2004 1:12 AM

Love it! #31 (red ink) is sitting in my studio with his new friends.

DZ

The beautiful #22 was a-waitin' for me when I returned from Oasis! (Man, the weekend just won't stop!!)
Holden & Gecko - you've really outdone yourselves this time!
What's the deal with the red writing??

On 2004-05-10 12:18, Doctor Z wrote:

What's the deal with the red writing??

It means you're one of the cool people.
Mugs 1 thru 35 are signed in red ink.

-Z

DZ

Gecko-- Any chance of getting the "Spotted Gecko" recipe from the folks at La Mariana? In your honor, I think THAT would be the drink to break this bad boy in with!

whew, i was the last one to get the red #35!

I got my Exotica mug and a day later my mug from Hale Tiki finally arrived. I also got my Tiki decanters from Tiki Farm this week and found an ass load of tiki stuff at Dept. stores. It's Tiki Christmas!! The low point was when I, against my better judgement, used some of the tiki mai tai mix to make the castaway cocktail, following the shoenfeld's instructions....UGHHHHHH. I've oft heard some tiki centralite talk about modern tiki drinks being served as a syrupy sickly sweet mess and Yup that describes the shoenfeld's drink but they added some good toxic chemical flavor as well!! Anyway'z great mug Gecko! great job Tiki Farm!

G

tanks fo all da BEAUTIFUL PICS everyone!

Doctor Z, howzit my friend? Da spotted gecko in da Exotica mug would be suicide brah! NO SHT! it's more like a double shot.

Email braddah Al (Al&Shelly) because he has came here to da islands so many times and was able to slip da secret drink from da bar tender. Honestly, I don't know everything in it? Da Filipino bar tender(braddah Jesse) made it up and we just named it.

Doctor Z, you're one of da hardcore collectors here and a perfect example of it is of you getting a "red ink" mug. Why red ink? because if da hardcore collectors get up early and miss sleep because you want to get up beat the other guy to da punch, well then you deserve something special. That's why I came up with da red ink thing.
I got tired of getting up at 5 am to hit the swap meets and miss something from someone who just got there and had 2 more hours of sleep than me....Freddy! HO! I get pissed at that because I'm a hard core collector!!
anyways, it's just a simple mahalo to da braddahz and wahinez dat get up early to stand and wait in line while da sleepy heads dream about tiki's. I will carry this tradition on for as long as I'm making limited edition mugs.

by da way Tiki Bird, you lucky dog!

Here's da original "Exotica" by da way. I'm glad some of da ohana here could share something special like having a ceramic replica of Mr. Martin Denny's gecko tiki.

aloha

I've received my mug! #12 has arrived. After an address change on the shipping side failed, I went to UPS and had them change it. After 2 failed delivery attempts at home, anxiety, of course, set in a little.

Having just opened him, I thought I'd let everyone know that one of Gecko's fabulous mugs has made it safe and sound to Canada!
And what a beauty he is.

gecko, i made the last bit of dave and anna's mai tais (from honolulu restaurant in virginia) in your mug last nite. what an excellent capacity - it fit a double recipe perfectly! what a great mug!!!

mahaloz,

j$

p.s. the perforated base provides a great fingerhold to prevent mug condenation slippage - excellent industrial design...

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-05-14 09:42 ]

M

My #116 arrived while I was in Hawaii. WHAT A ROUGH LIFE! Buy mugs in Hawaii, then come home to my new Gecko "Exotica" mug. I can't wait to enjoy my "Denny Tai" in it.

K

I'm surprised none of these have shown up on Ebay yet...not from TC members but from the same people who snatch up Shag mugs and sell them for profit.

Should we start a Gecko Exotica Mug registry like what was done for the Shecky's?

On 2004-05-17 16:58, Juno wrote:

Should we start a Gecko Exotica Mug registry like what was done for the Shecky's?

How about a registry with pics of everyone drinking a toast to Denny & Gecko with our new mugs? Just a thought.

E

Ok, Gecko...since you like seeing pics of your mugs in their new destinations, I snapped one for you. The Hale Tiki and Trader Dick's Tiki on the right have been very naughty and have to stand in the corner. The ill-behaved Hale Tiki was a belated birthday gift from a friend of mine. Exotica tries to keep harmony among them all. What you can't see from the photo is the way the light shines down and illuminates the Exotica Mug tag--didn't even plan it that way--but it looks kind of cool. Thanks again!

P.S. On the top shelf, below the Rousseau-like kiddle art is a leopard covered bottle opener and shot glass from the 1960's that says: "For the man who has everything".

Cool!

I use the same cabinet for my booze!(only it's silver)

I like how you have your duplicates reversed so you can see their backsides, I've never seen that done before!

T

My gecko mug arrived today... but the UPS fella would not relenquish it until I paid FORTY DOLLARS in duty!!!!

Ouch!

Well, with the exchange rate, shipping and duty, I am now the proud owner of a hundred dollar tiki mug, making it a record for the most I have ever paid for a mug!

Ah well. It is gorgeous anyway.

I suffered a similar fate at the hands of the tax man.
My $100 mug will only be used for the first drink of the evening when I am still sober enough not to damage it.

Great mug through, he had a double volume Mai Tai last night and loved it.

Kon-Hemsby, Tikifish, I feel your pain!

Mine's around $100 too. You can bet I'm using it as much as possible!

I bought a big $25 CAD strainer that actually fits my cocktail shaker to expedite my drink making.

I was thinking of bringing him to the Hukilau this September, but I'm a little worried I'll end up carting him home in pieces!

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-05-20 11:27 ]

On 2004-05-20 11:25, Tikiwahine wrote:

I was thinking of bringing him to the Hukilau this September, but I'm a little worried I'll end up carting him home in pieces!

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-05-20 11:27 ]

perhaps some crafty soul can carve kustom kases! like photographers use for their equipment or somesuch...

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-05-20 12:40 ]

J$, Cool idea!

I've heard of packing foam that can be suctioned to any object to create a perfect shipping package. You could have different foam inserts for each of your travelling companions.

TB

J$, those cases would be good for my Shecky!

J$ - those cases would come in handy for the impending Big California Earthquake! Are they shock grade A?

G

Aloooohaz braddahz and sistahz,

Tanks plenny again to all that was involved in da creation of "Exotica" and all my ohana here dat picked it up......my overseas buyers who paid $100 total for da mug, I'm sorry for your tax laws but you got a great mug that will be something to share with your kids and explain to them who Martin Denny was when da masta passes away. A special mahaloz to you guys! I'm very proud that da mugs made it out there.

Martin approved this project so his finger prints are all over this mug. No other tiki artist like Mr. Denny is involved in an actuall tiki mug with his status. This mug will definatly be worth more than what you all paid for this weather it was $100 or $35. I'm very certain of this!

I'm busy on working on more goodies for da ohana here and collectors out side of TC but you guys here always get first dibs!

p.s Tikifish,
I'm still looking for one of those great looking Sheckys!

Mahalo Nui Loa

G

oh ya, eh dem casses are bad ass! I have a foam machine I use here for shipping tikis and it molds into da shape of da tiki to protect it. It's pre-heated, then you smash da silver bag and da foam spreads trough out da inside of da bag. Don't know if that will work for a mug though?

good luck

Gecko......we're all looking forward to your next creation. Keep us TC-er's posted.

Mahalo

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies