Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Wednesday Night at Tiki Ti

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 615 replies

new Tiki Mug coming soon too!!

J

BigTikiDude told me I shouldn't be posting crawl dates without letting the target bars know first. Since I was already drinking in nearby K-Town last night, I decided to drop into the Tiki-Ti.

I met Mike Sr. at the door and gave him the heads up, he confirmed they'll be open for business that part of Sept and said to come on down. :)

It was TC Wednesday but I didn't see anyone I knew except for Dr. G (that's "G" not "Z").

I don't think I've ever been into Tiki-Ti on a Wednesday before (yes, I know). The joint was jumping with $5 Ray's Mistakes. When Mike Jr. rang the bell at 9pm, the loud festivity immediately halted and everyone paused in quiet reverence to toast Ray Buhen. I was impressed.

So what's new at the Ti? Well they have a wind-up bull that they send wobbling down the bar that's now part of the Blood and Sand "Toro Toro" ritual. Also an Umami Burger just opened up down the street near Vermont !!

Mmmmm....

J

Hey I saw this in the latest issue of Tiki Magazine so I guess it's official...

Tiki-Ti 50th Anniversary
April 28, 2011

"While they'll be celebrating all week long, the 'official' 50th anniversary of the world-famous Tiki-Ti will most definitely bring out the Tiki royalty on April 28th."

And as a twofer, Los Straightjackets and the Insect Surfers will be playing the Redwood later that evening (if you're able to make it out of the Ti in condition to drive that is).

Screaming Lord Richie and his Scream Queen will be there on April 28th!

J

Actually this Wednesday night will be the 50th anniversary if you stay there until just after midnight. :)

Happy 50th, Tiki-Ti !!

Indeed, happy happy! And I am proud to present as my latest mug diorama:

"THE SPIRIT OF THE ANCESTORS!"

I will be there! :D

So who is going when?
I'm going thurs. early, to beat the crowds.
then heading over to the Redwood in Downtown
for Insect Surfers, and Los Straitjackets.

maybe hit up Trader Vics real early,
like 1pm ish.

Jeff(btd)

P

I will probably go Saturday, as work and jury duty will likely prevent me from getting there earlier. If it looks like I can get Thursday or Friday off, then I'll go then. Wednesday is pretty much out.

I'll be coming on Thursday, and most likely Wednesday as well, with a high school friend of mine. The two of us gals will be up to no good for 2 days! I have mug orders for other NorCal folks so I'll be pretty happy by the time I plough through all the drinks that come in them.

I think I will be there thursday, hope to see you all then!

Amy

CJ

I'll be there tomorrow as long as I can get in.

J

I thought about going on Thursday but since that place is so tiny, I decided to hang back out of respect for the regulars (and former regulars) who will be trying to get in. I only frequent the Ti about 4 times a year so I'd feel awkward suddenly showing up on the 50th Anniversary date.

BigTikiDude, buy an Uga Booga for me and just place it on table so I can be there in Tiki spirit.

But don't YOU drink it !! :)

On 2011-04-26 19:14, JOHN-O wrote:

BigTikiDude, buy an Uga Booga for me and just place it on table so I can be there in Tiki spirit.

Sorry John-O, but I'm not as cheap as you think.

Oops! Didn't have my reading glasses on.

Though I was frequenting the last wave of original mid-century Polynesian pop restaurants in Phoenix when I was young, I've been away...now I'm back! I'm hitting Tiki Ti tonight (early) for evening number one of Anniversary Week, would love to meet some TC'ers! TikiBo

DG

I'm leaving the salt mine early today and have taken Thursday and Friday off so as to do my civic duty to assist the Buhens in being somewhat of a roving ambassador for our visiting drinknitaries. There'll be a lot of ground to cover in that 100 sq. ft. or so and I'll likely detox a few days later at John-O's nautical crawl...

On 2011-04-25 16:36, bigtikidude wrote:
So who is going when?

like 1pm ish.

Jeff(btd)

Jeff - I'll probably see you at Trader Vic's at around 1:30 - 2pm for lunch and happy hour. Then on to Tiki Ti afterwards!

On 2011-04-27 17:59, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

On 2011-04-25 16:36, bigtikidude wrote:
So who is going when?

like 1pm ish.

Jeff(btd)

Jeff - I'll probably see you at Trader Vic's at around 1:30 - 2pm for lunch and happy hour. Then on to Tiki Ti afterwards!

Ok see ya then,
Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2011-04-28 11:02 ]

J

On 2011-04-26 19:14, JOHN-O wrote:
I thought about going on Thursday but since that place is so tiny, I decided to hang back out of respect for the regulars (and former regulars) who will be trying to get in...

OK, I lied.

Heh. :D

WOW!!! It was worth the wait in line to see everyone celebrating 50 years of Tiki-Ti! King Kukulele was keeping everyone entertained and Sven was holding court with Beachbum Berry on one side and Martin Cate on the other! Holden was running around in a very cool jacket. I'm sure A-Frame will be posting some great pictures soon!

Again, congratulations to Tiki-Ti. And many more happy successful years ahead!

C

On 2011-04-28 21:03, SoccerTiki wrote:
WOW!!! It was worth the wait in line to see everyone celebrating 50 years of Tiki-Ti! King Kukulele was keeping everyone entertained and Sven was holding court with Beachbum Berry on one side and Martin Cate on the other! Holden was running around in a very cool jacket. I'm sure A-Frame will be posting some great pictures soon!

Again, congratulations to Tiki-Ti. And many more happy successful years ahead!

Ditto!!

Just a reminder/alert to y'all:

Tonight and Saturday are the last afternoons/evenings the Tiki Ti will be open before their customary winter hiatus!

Your next chance for a Ray's Mistake will be December 21st!

J

:)

MT

Coco Loco and I are headed down to Tiki Ti this Wednesday 1/11. So unless there is a relocation of Kirby's Rumpus Room in the mean time, then we'll be arriving at Tiki Ti tomorrow, somewhere around 8:30pm or so. See ya there!

So it was a Thursday, but DustyCajun was in town yesterday so we headed down to the Ti for some libations.

Initially not that crowded, by 10:00 pm it had become its usual lively self, with the bull running wild etc

A-frame graciously shared his original Lemonheart 151, and we got to talking with Mike Sr about how come that it's the good stuff that gets discontinued, sometimes. So we got to the subject of Okolehao, and how it is not made anymore. Next thing you know, Sr has Jr dig up THIS from deep behind the bar:

It was nice to, after many years, sip the spirit of the Ti root again, and in such distinguished company:

We even got to try another extinct version, the Liqueur

Much sweeter, but with that distinct Ti finish. DC was so happy to have his first Okolehao experience...

....he practically became a:

AF

Sven, I thought that was the vehicle Scott drove you both over in! :lol:

Great photos Bigbro. Now that was a fun night at the Tiki Ti!!! Okolehao tasting from the secret vault with Mike Sr. And thanks to A-Frame for sharing the special rum once again.

DC

AF

Found an old Dresden Room matchbook that dates from about 1960 when Carl & Sara Ferraro were the second owners of the establishment. Not Tiki as such, but it's clear that Tiki's cocktail roots had it's influence at the bar. It was Ray Buhen who opened the bar at the Dresden in the early 50's and made the delicious "Blood & Sand" cocktail for the masses to enjoy.

Nearly 60 years later, tweaked just slightly with tequila, you can still order one from Mike, Mike Jr. or Mark Buhen just down the the road a bit at the TI. Let the chant begin...

TORO! TORO!

J

On 2012-06-12 19:14, A Frame wrote:
It was Ray Buhen who opened the bar at the Dresden in the early 50's and made the delicious "Blood & Sand" cocktail for the masses to enjoy...

Actually the original "Blood & Sand" dates back to the 1920's Silent Film era (as in the Rudolph Valentino film). As documented by Beachbum Berry, Ray Buhen tweaked the scotch drink with tequila in honor of Tyrone Power remake. :)

AF

On 2012-06-12 20:13, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2012-06-12 19:14, A Frame wrote:
It was Ray Buhen who opened the bar at the Dresden in the early 50's and made the delicious "Blood & Sand" cocktail for the masses to enjoy...

Actually the original "Blood & Sand" dates back to the 1920's Silent Film era (as in the Rudolph Valentino film). As documented by Beachbum Berry, Ray Buhen tweaked the scotch drink with tequila in honor of Tyrone Power remake. :)

Correct John-O! I should have clarified it as the original Ray Buhen/Dresden version...
Wait a minute, I thought you just drank Jim's Specials at the TIKI!! :P

J

G'day mate !!

It's really interesting who you'll meet at the Tiki Ti. Last Wed, as I complimented the couple sitting next to me on their wise choice of the Jim's Special, I learned they were visiting Tikiphiles from Australia (Tazmania to be exact), who just attended Oasis.

Colin & Francesca...

They own a Kool Kustom Kulture Klothing & Kollectibles business there, and seemed to be familiar with the So Ca Tiki scene. They mentioned they sold Ding Dong Devils and The Hula Girls CDs in their store !! :)

Also by sheer coincidence in the Ti was fellow Australian (and TC member) Careless Navigator (aka Rohan) and his lovely wife. Rohan runs this Australian Tiki site... http://carelessnavigator.com. Rats, I should have gotten their picture as well. :(

And to continue the Aussie Tiki representation, Swizzle (the TC member, not the stick) will be visiting the Ti this Wed afternoon (8/29) for the first time, along with TikiVato and his brother nui'umi'umi . Come on by, we'll put a shrimp on the barbie for you. Ha, ha.

It's kind of funny, all of these Tiki tourists traveling 8,000 miles to visit the Ti, and I know of several local TC people who have never been, or maybe just once or twice in their entire Tiki lifetimes. I think any Tikiphile within a 100 mile radius should be required to have a Ray's Mistake at this holy Tiki site at least annually. It's kind of like Catholics having to take confession. You don't want to end up in Tiki Hell, do you !! ?? :D

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-08-27 10:54 ]

Funny you should mention this John. In addition to last Wednesday night at the Tiki Ti, I had the pleasure of spending some time with Colin and Francesca at Tiki Highway and Rohan and his wife at the Hi-Times Chili Cook-off yesterday. Really good folks indeed!

On 2012-08-27 09:28, JOHN-O wrote:
You don't want to end up in Tiki Hell, do you !! ?? :D

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-08-27 10:54 ]

I heard Tiki Hell has one heck of a party, so this isn't really a good threat.

J

Wednesday at the Tiki Ti. This was kind of interesting, at one point and by sheer coincidence, the only people in the place were Tiki peeps. I thought that was pretty cool. :)

Left to right below - Tiki Diablo, Dana, Polynesian Pop, Laura, Swizzle (visiting from Australia, first time at the Ti !), nui'umi'umi, Rose Mary, CeCe, and TikiVato.

Left to right below - your humble photographer, Rasta Jim, Coco Joe, Sid and Sherri.

Great photos John-O thanks also to you and all the Down under gang and to Adrian and Danny too for caravan-ing out to Kirby's Rumpus Room not one week but pre Oasis as well, what a treat! See you soon, Aloha!

Hmm. Wednesday...Tiki-Ti...don't mind if I do.

Kevin

AF

I noticed these "TIKI" people enjoying good times on a very hot day at the TI a couple weeks ago.

Is that guy drinking the last beer in the place? I have often considered getting it (no I haven't) but now that it is gone I guess I'll just have to choose from one of the nearly 100 tropical beverages!

I have been to Tiki Ti a lot of times and I have never even seen anyone ask about a beer. Daring man.

AF

Jeremy did and he GUZZLED that oil can!

Thats awesome! I wish I could have seen that. I wonder if they kept the beer cold? Too funny!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 615 replies