Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki @ Target

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 195 replies

The Photo Copyright is a nice touch...

I finally went back to Target and found more stuff to add. I can't believe I went back. I bought the Tiki square open for business/last call light up sign for $7.99! And a photo frame. My previous venture had me forking over cash for four tiki mugs, tiki stirrers, 2 salad trays and an appetizer tray. I seriously need to stop, but it's so affordable!

On a super duper happy note, I found 2 Tiki Farm Mad Marq Tiki Warrior Mugs at Marshalls for $3.00 each! Went I brought them home, I felt such a huge sense of accompolishment! Now I am complete.

T
TNTiki posted on Sun, Aug 1, 2004 6:09 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:04 ]

C
croe67 posted on Sun, Aug 1, 2004 6:25 PM

Oh yes, I bought the Chinese Checkers game & it's very cool, with each color being a different Tiki mug-type design. It adds a bit more fun to the bar - very glad I bought it!!

T
TNTiki posted on Sun, Aug 1, 2004 7:07 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:04 ]

K
Kono posted on Sun, Aug 1, 2004 7:38 PM

I passed on the Chinese Checkers but I might still return and succumb to the temptation. :D

You get the rug yet? They're usually found on an endcap near the "Accent Rugs" area.

T

On 2004-08-01 18:09, TNTiki wrote:
Has anyone bought or will admit they bought the Tiki Chinese Checkers game from Target?

I bought the Chinese Checkers game also. Maybe not so much for the game, but to have the 45 tiny plastic tikis.

Z

Isn't it nice that the orange, lime green and lavendar colors on those small candles match the hues in the Shag Tiki Room print?
Coincidence? I think not!
Stopped by another store today, and locusts had converged on the tiki housewares, 4 ceramic pieces were left. In theory, there are a lot of tiki dorm rooms being decorated.
There are also some "sport bottles" near the bicycle accessories that are various colors of clear plastic with a black lid, vaguely moai.

[ Edited by: ZebraTiki on 2004-08-01 21:04 ]

T
TNTiki posted on Sun, Aug 1, 2004 9:50 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:05 ]

N

The tiki rug I found was ble and looked much like the serving tray and sheets. A smattering of tiki with drink glasses. I looks like a bar book cover. Is this the one everyone is talking about? I found it folded in a square on an endcap.

Target's tiki lava lamp is on sale for $13.49 this week and the huge non-tiki lava lamp is $37 (down from $49.99). The sale lasts through Saturday. The tiki one does not appeal to me as, IMHO, it looks like a forced combination of designs that doesn't work, but I think I'll jump on the big one as I wanted the same thing a few years ago but didn't get it because it was much more expensive; and we all NEED more and bigger lava lamps...right? (On a quiet night you can hear MasterCard laughing)

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-08-07 12:29 ]

Hoping to not be redundant, did anyone else see the tiki car seat cover in the automotive section? It black velourish fabric with the tiki head design in the center. Not too bad looking. Almost classy.I'm so tempted but can't a afford $20 a seat cover.

Also,the hawaian shirt air fresher was too good to pass up.

Went to Target last night and found a tiki door hanger in the notebook section. It is a pic of a tiki and under it it says "Keep Out". Instead of Keep out it would be cooler if it said tiki room or nothing at all. I still bought it anyways. When else will you find a tiki door hanger? Also, on the flip side, there is a dry erase board (with a pen) so you can write a message to whoever is going to enter your room. No tiki on that side though.

Can anyone post a pic of the target tiki Chinese checker set? I've yet to see it in any of the four Targets I frequent.

Also, a thought on the bases of the lava lamps, sans lava container, at both Target and Spencers: Placed below a wall-mounted mask or other object of texture, they would spotlight it well from a spooky lower angle. The lightbulb is slightly recessed into the base, so if it were elevated a bit, say on a small shelf below the mask (like a mug shelf behind a bar), the light wouldn't get in your eyes either. If the lava lamps get cheap enough on clearance, its something to think about.

Just remember that they do throw off a fair amount of heat. And heat (as is good taste) is the enemy of art. If you refit the base with a fluorescent bulb, it might be better. If you get on of the natural spectrum one, it won't look bad, and you could put a gel over it if you wanted mood lighting.

TG

T
TNTiki posted on Sat, Aug 7, 2004 3:05 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:11 ]

Thanks for the pics, TNTiki; my Target just got something new (to me) in today: the chalk boards and dry erase boards. Both have little tiki magnets that might be from the same sculp as the Chinese checker pieces. A lot of this stuff appeals to me for the sake of future small model photography.

Target has at least three sizes of stores: standard, smaller stores which managers have told me contain about 85% of the variety of standard stores, and Super Targets. Add to this the fact that Target likes to have a slight variance from store to store in inventory and its logical that some of us are going to find things that others never see. There may also be regional variation as I never saw most of the hula stuff.

TikiGardener wrote, in reference to using lava lamp bases as spot lighting for wall-mounted objects:

Just remember that they do throw off a fair amount of heat. And heat (as is good taste) is the enemy of art. If you refit the base with a fluorescent bulb, it might be better. If you get on of the natural spectrum one, it won't look bad, and you could put a gel over it if you wanted mood lighting.

Good points, I was thinking specifically of lighting small objects like wood masks or plaques at a safe distance. I'd be more worried about UV fading with a fluorescent bulb. This little guy is one candidate I've had trouble displaying because he is so small, dark, and his texture washes out from the light spilling on him from other sources:

I'll try this out and take as test shot.

Hey tikijackalope; Found the tiki Chinese Checker set yet? If not, I was just at the Target on Metcalf (on the north end just south of I-35) and they had two sets. Still a fair selection of mugs, too.

Silverline, I just saw your last post. I was remiss in checking this thread; its probably a lost cause but if you can still get one of those sets, I'll take it. I went to this thread to post that Target has some of their tiki stuff at 50% off and some at 75%. Some of it is not on sale at all though.

S

I was in Target today and not only did they have a HUGE LINE of tiki stuff, but it was all on sale! Not just kept in one department either! The 'back to school' dorm area had lamps, clocks of various tikiness, and even bobble head tikis! Other area in store had HUGE tiki drinking mugs and other tiki stuff! Check out your stores! No shirts though :( My store is in Williamsburg, VA.

M

sheriinva,

Thanks for the update on the Tiki sale at Target. Here's a thread that talks all about it.

Tiki @ Target

Targets in the San Diego area do indeed seem to be clearing all the tiki stuff out -- picked up my dry erase board yesterday for $6.49.

Targets in the San Diego area do indeed seem to be clearing all the tiki stuff out -- picked up my dry erase board yesterday for $6.49.

K

The Target in my area has a whole bunch of the Chinese Checkers sets on sale for $10.48. Let me know if I can assist in sale/trade.

Juno, my man! Yes, I would love a Chinese Checker set. Central KS and SW Mo have no super targets, which is where those things seem to reside.

Target now has an expensive tiki bar.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-4/qid=1124762249/ref=sr_2_4/601-8115596-6140964?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0008ISOGG

I hope any would-be purchaseres have enough sense to check Bamboo Ben first.

M

In the garden section of my local Tarjey, over the weekend, my husband reported that they have a $299 version of this bar that was really decent quality. I went down to see it on display, and it's NICE! The only difference between it and the one on-line was it was darker, and it didn't have that cheapo rattan topper. Real bamboo, and there is also a backyard gazebo for the same price $299. The whole collection was called "Mai Tiki", which also included patio furniture and a kind of neat bamboo fountain.

It was on display but not for sale yet. I was told I had to call around to see when the shipment would be coming in. But it was the perfect size for a small backyard like we have.

Rae

On 2005-08-22 19:02, christiki295 wrote:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-4/qid=1124762249/ref=sr_2_4/601-8115596-6140964?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0008ISOGG

D

On 2005-08-24 02:12, Mystiki wrote:
In the garden section of my local Tarjey, over the weekend, my husband reported that they have a $299 version of this bar that was really decent quality. I went down to see it on display, and it's NICE! The only difference between it and the one on-line was it was darker, and it didn't have that cheapo rattan topper. Real bamboo, and there is also a backyard gazebo for the same price $299. The whole collection was called "Mai Tiki", which also included patio furniture and a kind of neat bamboo fountain.

It was on display but not for sale yet. I was told I had to call around to see when the shipment would be coming in. But it was the perfect size for a small backyard like we have.

Rae

On 2005-08-22 19:02, christiki295 wrote:

I couldn't find anything on this bar at my local target, I also went online which was just a big hassle. Does someone have a picture of the $299 bar or know where it is on the website? This sounds like a bar I would like to get my hands on.

Aaargh!

I went to my Target to check these out (the gazebo sounds terrific) and not only do they not have any of it, but they have emptied out ALL outdoor furniture! In its place is the back-to-school stuff, and I was told that it would be replaced by Halloween stuff next, not outdoor furniture.

The irony, for you non-Texans, is that summer is FAR from over here. Every day in the mid to high 90's.

Bastards.....

D

the seattle Targets are void of all gardening and patio stuff... i've been looking for more coconut planters, but no luck..

M

I finally got my hands on one of the Mai Tiki gazebos at Target:

The item number is 009050230 for the gazebo $299.99
The bar is: 009001665 $299.99. I don't have a pic of the bar, but will get one the next time I go there.

Rae

Aloha Dawn32,

While this photo is more of CherryCapri, this is an example of Bamboo Ben's tiki bars.

http://www.cherrycapri.com/photos_oasis4/bathingbeauty.jpg

S

The Mai Tiki Gazebo is at my local Target now along with the whole set including large and small bamboo fountain and bamboo bar and stools. They have it all out in a floor display. And, BTW, they have some of the most kick ass modern furniture in now. Drool.

Does Wayne Coombs know about this?

We are seriously considering this if we can afford it soon.

K

Here's the Target tiki Bar:

and...

"• Home entertainment bar made of natural bamboo wood, tan painted finish
• 2 shelves, 2 tracks; capacity depends on what stemware is used
• Wipe clean with damp cloth for longer life, cover or store when not in use
• Bamboo is a natural material that will split and crack, this is not a defect
• 69-5/8Lx33-3/4Wx93-1/8H"
• Shipping fee: $130.89
*** This item can only be shipped to the 48 contiguous states. We regret it cannot be shipped to APO/FPO, Hawaii, Alaska, or Puerto Rico.

*** I bet they're bumming in Hamaii!

If you can't find it using the links, just go to target.com and do a search for "tki bar" - good luck!

I wasn't crazy about the tiki bar, but the gazebo is tres chic! It is made of metal, painted to look like bamboo. I honestly couldn't tell until I touched the floor model and to be honest it kind of shocked me. It also has mosquito netting around all four sides. It is definitely on my want list. I could always get a Bamboo Ben bar for the gazebo!

W

West Seattle Target has the bar and gazebo set up. The bamboo used in both (the gazebo is a mix of fake and real) has been painted a bamboo color with light brown highlights. This was probably done to give a more uniform look to all the bamboo used but the paint makes the bar look super fakey. There was also signs of chipping and scraping on the floor model so it's possible the bamboo was not prepared properly for painting. The bar seems shaky and may not hold up to steady use. Splitting was evident and despite Target's claim in the Kaikaina post above ("Bamboo is a natural material that will split and crack, this is not a defect") this may be a sign of bamboo not dried fully before use. As the bar is constructed almost entirely (if not completely) of bamboo continued cracking and possible warping could seriously compromise the structure.

It's a nice design that'd be great in a small space, but the paint makes it look like molded plastic. It'd probably look better in low light. And for the price ($300) most anyone could create a much sturdier home bar.

That and anybody over the weight of 50 pounds wil probably break the bar stools that come with it. I sat on one - I am a sleek 235 pounds - and it swayed like a Drunk at happy hour!

Love the gazebo

http://www.skinnydogdesign.com
[email protected]

[ Edited by: Skinny Dog 2006-03-14 02:05 ]

TH

We bought the Tiki Bar at Target...

Goes very well on the porch by the pool...

You know, that Target tiki bar is really very nice! I have a Tiki Tock wall clock from Target that is foam plastic but actually looks quite a bit like wood...

I saw the bar last weekend. It looks great for the price.

On 2005-08-28 15:04, Mystiki wrote:
I finally got my hands on one of the Mai Tiki gazebos at Target:

The item number is 009050230 for the gazebo $299.99
The bar is: 009001665 $299.99. I don't have a pic of the bar, but will get one the next time I go there.

Rae

we broke down and got one of these this past weekend. i figured that it's more likely that i'll put it up and enjoy it than trying to build one from scratch out of bamboo. lazy instant gratification $.

for you hagglers out there, the item is listed with a "mosquito netting." we opened two and there was no mosquito netting - so we complained and they knocked $45 off the price. score!

Z

All this tiki stuff is for the birds!

Literally. Now there's a "Backyard Safari Tiki Bird Feeder" shaped like a bird-sized tiki bar, with little bar stools for the birds to perch on, and torches sticking out of the top. It sounds like you fill the top of the tiki head with birdseed (or mai tais) and watch the fun begin. Someone needs to put this inside their house for their parakeet and post pictures!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-9642664-5516954?_encoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0009Z3K26

It even has a motion detector so you know when you have customers at your bar.

HL

Target released a few more outdoor entertaining items. In my local stores, they're by the candles.

(left to right) Tiki shot glasses on a necklace, dashboard hula girls, ceramic candles on a ceramic, leaf-shaped platter.

The store also had luau invites and paper plates, napkins, and plastic cups.

TF

Just purchased the faux bamboo Mai Tiki fountain over the weekend. It works like a charm as it is obviously very simple. The resin bamboo thing is almost chancy in the tacky realm of things but the sound it makes is fabulous! I made the fountain part of my outdoor back bar and with the sound of wind chimes and a little Cal Tjader ( Several shades of jade ). Boy howdy!

Pretty cool item after all.

T.F.

Target Mai Tiki line on sale!

The Mai Tiki gazebo has dropped here in Houston from $299 to $249, and the ok-ish bar has knocked an additional $50-60 from its original price too.

Getting a Target credit card knocks an additional 10% off your first purchase, so it could go even lower (so my dream gazebo: $224 before tax).

Tempted tempted tempted....

K
Kono posted on Thu, Jun 8, 2006 3:48 PM

On 2006-06-08 15:22, Formikahini wrote:
...and the ok-ish bar...

Man, don't slag on the bar!

Ya just have to "gussy it up" a bit. I'm enjoying mine. Yeah, the walls are white. I have no control over that at this time. :D

It looks much better with the lights off but I haven't figured out how to get my camera to take a good pic in the dark. Please excuse the mess on the bar top.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 195 replies