Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki @ Target

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 195 replies

dang kono you gussied that up right nice!

i have the outdoor pavilion, and i find myself wondering why they felt they had to paint the bamboo... curious...

TF

On the subject of the Target Tiki Bar, one has to admit that the price to quality ratio is pretty good. In looking at this bar it struck me that if you removed the little roof thingie and put two or three of them together with a little extra bamboo and sone minor craftsmanship, you could create a pretty damned cool indoor bar of good size without breaking the bank. With a little additional chopping and carpentry, you could even put a pro bar sink in a structure like this. With a little imagination the roof things could be modified to work out pretty well too. These babies have a lot of potential. If I had a basemnet or indoor bar instead of an outdoor scene I would have shucked down on one or three for sure. Alas, I don't think these bars would fair very well outdoors unless they are well covered.

T.F.

we got the target tiki bar as a wedding gift, and i have to say i am vastly disappointed. we've had it for about 2 months and the bamboo is splitting all over the place...one split is so bad i can fit my whole hand inside (on the roof support). i know this is symptomatic of bamboo, but we put a sealer on it. it also leans (and i don't think it's operator error in putting it together!)

when we opened the box of barstools, they were completely split and unuseable...we took them back to the store and they said we couldn't exchange them b/c they had been permanently recalled by the manufacturer! i had to pull a fast one and switch out our box of bad ones for the box of good ones they had brought to the front for us, and said, we'll just keep ours then, thanks very much!

maybe we just got a faulty one...who knows...i'm just glad i didn't shell out the cash for it. we'll probably end up dismantling it and using parts of it for another bar.

TF

Very interesting about the quality issue on Target Bar. My first impression upon seeing this bar in person was that the stools wouldn't make it through one good cocktail session and the bar if left out in the elements would crumble apart. Truly the best application for this unit is to be canabalized for pieces / parts to make a better stronger and more functional Tiki bar.

We have the technology, we know the odds, we can rebuild it. The $6,000,000. Tiki bar with bionic mixologist. Huza wazza.

T.F.

RT

Target Tiki Bar Recall. I have been stopping by Target every day for a week, waiting for this baby to go on Clearance. Yesterday when I did my drive-by, the Tiki Bar and Tiki Gazebo were gone. When I asked about it, they said they have been recalled, and they could not sell me one. I ran to "MY" Target and asked for the Tiki Bar I had "on hold". They retreived one from the back, rang it up ($199.00) and I got it out of there as fast as possible. Because they were able to ring up the sale, the stock boy thought it might only be the gazebo that was being recalled, and that they might not want to sell the bar without the gazebo. Regardless, if you have been coveting one of these babies as I have, run, don't walk to Target! Mine is for indoor usage, so I am not concerned about wear and tear. Good Luck and Love to All! Rev. Tiki.

K

My wife and I bought one about a week or so ago. $192, out the door (that's with tax, too)! I signed up for the Target card, and got the extra 10% off.

We got it home, set it up and everything was fine. No broken parts, nothing falling off... Heather went out, and bought some Olympic Maximum waterproofing sealant in the Honey Gold stain. WAY big improvement, not only in color, but also in moisture protection. We've got a couple coats on, and it looks great.

Part of it is out "in the weather" right now, but we're going to bring the whole thing under the lanai roof. It will still get the Florida humidity, but not direct rain or sun. So far, we like it a lot, especially for the money. We also plan to put thatch on the roof for a bit more tropical vibe.

I think they're a pretty good deal for the dough. That said, I would LOVE to build one from scratch someday though, but for now, this will work just great.

R

Just an FYI looks all the tiki stuff is starting to go on clearance. At least in Richmond VA. It is at 30% off right now but will probably continue to drop. As people have already noted no bar or gazebo. I think the bamboo fountain could be cool with some modifications. If it drops a little more I plan to pick one up and go all DIY crafty on it's butt.

RT

The remaining Tiki Bars and Gazebos at Target are being destroyed. Too bad, the Tiki Bars were nice.

I just saw the that Target bar now for sale at the Christmas Tree Shop or store, or whatever that place is called.

Is there documented proof that the gazebo and bar have been recalled or discontinued? Or are we just assuming this becaue they're not in the stores anymore?

I have the gazebo and I love it.

J
J-Rod posted on Sat, Jul 8, 2006 9:10 PM

It looks like Target is getting in a different Tiki Hut, which is double in price also.

Target Tiki Hut

Too bad they recalled the previous one. I was really hoping to score one for my deck :(

TD

as of yesterday the TARGET near me still had 4 bars and 5 gazebos

R

Swung by Target today and summer tiki stuff is 50% off now. Picked up the last bamboo fountain and now must begin modifications.

Just got my bar tonight at Target - they had them marked down to $67! I couldn't resist.

E
Erika posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2007 2:25 PM

Time for "Tiki @ Target" 2007. . . .

I noticed some tiki-ish items at my local Target today among their summer tableware. Nothing great, but for anybody who might want to go look for themselves (and maybe provide a few pictures [I can't.]):

There were plastic plates with two wahines and a tiki hut (with the hut actually labeled "tiki hut," unfortunately), and a similar serving tray with the same tiki hut and a male surfer; hula girl salt and pepper shakers (ceramic with grass skirts and a grass holder); various plastic dishware with a sort of hibiscus motif in a red/orange/turquoise/lime combination; rubbery plastic coasters with that same simplified hibiscus motif; a few small ceramic hibiscus bowls; and some resin coconut mugs like they had last year. There were also some dishes and glasses with blue and green fish on them in that same section, and some woven mats and baskets.

In another section, there was an ocean/beach-themed line of dishware and accessories where the plastic dishes, bowls, and glasses had a blue-and-white or blue-and-clear design of seahorses and seaweed and the accessories had mostly shell motifs.

I'll probably end up going back for one of the seahorse tumblers.

[ Edited by: Erika 2007-03-04 14:28 ]

Dang....no tiki at my Target in Lincoln (north of Sacramento). Guess I will try again as Spring rounds the corner. :)

no tiki in the target chicago area or surrounding suburbs yet,,

R

Like I said the the other Target tiki thread some of this years items (at least housewares) have made east to Allentown. Continuing from a point in the Big Lot's tiki thread would these items also fall under the "Trailer Tiki" genre?

Our Target (Wallkill, NY) still has zero in the way of tiki and, when they do get it they get, like, three of everything and sell out immediately. No marked down Target tiki here. I sent them a bitter letter the other day...

Trailer tiki? If we're talking a vintage Airstream I can live with that!

The Target in my area have been displaying its 2007 Tiki stuff for a few months now. They didn't have much in stock and were taking names for any of these items. About 2.5 weeks ago, I looked over what they had to offer and was pretty much disappointed, but I did notice a Ku-like tiki they called the "Long Haired Tiki". It wasn't cheap, by Target standards, but I knew it would be perfect to stand guard over my tiki hut. So I decided to purchase one, and am glad I did. He is decently heavy and not blow over in a wind. It seems to be made from a tough plaster like material and painted a bronze color. Here is a picture of him:

I haven't seen any tiki bars or gazebos, yet this year. But I got my Ku.

• Myke

I will confirm, that yes, Target around my place (had) tiki stuff...I dunno if it's still there considering the last time I went out to purchase tiki stuff was last year around this same time. But when I did go they had awesome bamboo place-mats, a plastic coconut mug, and really awesome bamboo mugs (ceramic). They were really nice. i bought a coconut mug and a ceramic mug just to be safe. But if you want some awesome (plasteresque) tiki, you can head on over to the Christmas Tree Shop. They usually have some. That's where I got MY big guy.

that tiki is not bad by target standards...but do you think that with all the tiki references out there today that whoever was designing these would get a clue and do something really cool lookin?? t....c'mon crazy al, ben, lake surfer and all you carvers out there....... start knocking on some doors at target and show them how it's really done!!! I can't believe that with all the talent here on t.c. you carvers haven't found a way to get your foot in the door and get in on that action!! In fact tiki farm did some giant tikis by crazy al a few years back that were totally awesome...why are those not on the shelves at target istead of the usual dreck they've had for the past few years...??

..sorry to shang-hai the thread...i'll be quiet now......

Tipsy Mac,

Hopefully the new Trader Vic's out your way will not have to rely on "Target Tiki" for decor. Any news yet?

E
Erika posted on Fri, Mar 16, 2007 9:33 AM

Now my Target also has a ceramic "Tiki Hut" cookie jar. Like the plastic plate and tray, it disappointingly has the words "Tiki Hut" on it. There are, by the way, no tikis on it. But there is a surprised-looking monkey. (The monkey also appears on some of their other summer tableware.)

Erika,

Unless you guys got a different one at the Targets down in Philly the ceramic "tiki hut" is actually a tea/juice/cocktail dispenser with a small tap below the front door. I am going to paint a couple tiki's on mine.

Matt

E
Erika posted on Sun, Mar 18, 2007 1:05 PM

On 2007-03-16 11:46, rugbymatt wrote:
the ceramic "tiki hut" is actually a tea/juice/cocktail dispenser

Rugbymatt is right. (And I am going blind, I guess.) I ran into it again today . . . 'tis a drink dispenser!

E

What's that burning sensation?

Hot sauce Mustache.

Does it every time. At least it explains his expression.

~ Exoticat's pick for best new Target tiki related item of 2007 ~

I went to two targets in my area (Los Angeles) and couldn't find anything... just some bright bowls and a really ugly surf shack water/punch dispenser.

E

This is what the hula girl plates look like.

If you like the retro looking fabric in the background, it's from the Spring Line of outdoor cushions at Fred Meyer. I finally decided that my old Martha Stewart cushions weren't tiki/tropic enough for Hutikihi II.

None at the Clarksville, TN store either.

T

The Target in Dover, Delaware has a lot of Tiki stuff like the stuff mentioned, it looks like it went out on the shelves only a few days ago, a lot of stuff didn't even have prices.

Our local Long's Drugs (in Oakland, CA) has very similar stuff. Will post pix (when I can find my camera cable).

E
Erika posted on Sun, Apr 1, 2007 6:02 PM

I spotted some tiki-ish items (again, without actual tikis) in Target's party supplies area. Paper napkins and invitations with the "Tiki Hut" on them, coconut-shell candles, mini candles that look like the coconut-shell candles, a plastic leaf platter and another platter I'm not remembering, a plastic-sheet wall decor roll, leis, a paper lantern garland with flowers, and some other items---including, just to mess things up, a limbo stick and an inflatable parrot.

T

When I went in today, there was alot of tiki-themed bathroom stuff-shower curtains, handtowels, rugs. I picked up a rug & handtowel, before my kids hit me up for their Easter gifts-GuitarHero-Xbox & Bratz Diamond Something- I put my stuff back, I'm just happy I got my Squid screwup sculls, we're all happy it's spring...

someone mentioned this tiki was pricey for target standards. How much are they running there?

My "long haired tiki" was $99.00. He is pictured in my previous posting.

• Myke

thank you tikiwinebear

On 2007-03-31 19:05, Exoticat wrote:
This is what the hula girl plates look like.

If you like the retro looking fabric in the background, it's from the Spring Line of outdoor cushions at Fred Meyer. I finally decided that my old Martha Stewart cushions weren't tiki/tropic enough for Hutikihi II.

These are extraordinarily cute.
Probably better as charges than dishes because the pattern is to be enjoyed and, well, it is a touch busy with food. Wouldn't know where to stick the fork.

Tons of tikiesque bits and spring colored stuff on sale at Target. About seven of those "clearance" end-caps full of the stuff at my local Target.
All I would buy was the hula girl salt and pepper shakers and two of the Japanese style stringed lamps dealies.

I just purchased this "Tiki wreath." It is a Seaside theme, not a Tiki theme, but hey, their marketing worked for me!

http://www.target.com/Tiki-Wreath-10/dp/B00144126C

On 2004-07-11 20:21, Tiki Bree wrote:
Stopped by Target tonight and found new tiki stuff on the shelves. It's part of the back-to-school-dorm-room seasonal merchandise with several assorted items with tiki images on them.

The absolute winner of the assortment is the "Tiki Tock" clock. It's a faux wood rectangle with a tiki frieze on one side that has orange bamboo shaped clock hands.

This is going to get BigBro's blood boiling:

I found same said Target "Tiki Tock" clock in an "antique" shop in downtown Martinez being advertised as from "the 1960's":

M

LOL,I sometimes like the cheap stuff. I am sure that it probably will make his blood boil.

Hi:

New guy here. Came across the site while searching for Tiki Bar's.

I wanted to know if anybody had any feedback on one of the Tiki Bar's they are currently selling.

Here is the link:
http://www.target.com/L-DN615SST-T-Home-Tikil-Metal-Bar/dp/B002IEY818/ref=sr_ln_reviews_1_1?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&node=1038576|1287991011#communityReviews

The negative reviews provided on the Target site were due to shipping issues, so that didn't help.

I know it's not traditional or as elaborate as some of you have, but I am a grad student on a budget.

Thanks in advance.

If you keep an eye on Craigslist you can probably pick up a more authentic one for about the same price that you'll be happier with.

So what's so "tiki" about this bar??? I don't get it...sorry...

Get about 6 or 8 2x4's, a roll of the 3' x 9' bamboo a nice 12" plank for the top some free plans on the internet and stop by the thrift shop for two old bar stools you can paint up...
should set you back about 100-150 total and an afternoon.. then purchase a groovy tiki mask from Bosko to stick on the front... Now were talking... :wink:

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2010-04-28 23:48 ]

A

Actually, the web site lists it as a "Tikil" Bar, not a "tiki" bar.

[ Edited by: arriano 2010-04-29 08:21 ]

Definitely a typo on Target behalf.Cant believe that have not caught that yet.
If that's a tiki bar I'm a monkeys uncle!

On 2010-04-28 22:37, spy-tiki wrote:
If you keep an eye on Craigslist you can probably pick up a more authentic one for about the same price that you'll be happier with.

Thanks for the tip. I took your advice and found a local contractor selling them for $300.00 comes with two stools as well.

Thanks for all the feedback and I appreciate the help....

Just need to dress it up now.

Thanks again!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 195 replies