Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki @ Target

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 195 replies

Anyone see these yet....some cool stuff, kinda inexpensive...also, for those in c.town a nice artical in the PD about Tiki :)

yeah, I saw their stuff last week. some of it is just too cheezey for words, but I did pick up the bamboo framed memo board (I'm gonna re-work it into a picture frame)

-Z

Funny thing is, yeah, it might be cheesey, but wasn't most hawaiiana and tiki stuff at one time?

(except all my stuff)

I was refering to an oversized (maybe 1' or 1.5' diameter) orange alarm clock with tiki-esque faces as numbers. And I think one of the faces had vampy eyelashes. Or the powder-blue tikibank. (I was not making reference to the above photo as none of that stuff was there).

but, yes, it is/was all chees/zey.

-Z

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-07-06 15:10 ]

K
Kono posted on Tue, Jul 6, 2004 5:07 PM

Like one of Ivan's famous slobbering mutts, I read this post and skeedaddled on over to Target to check out the new tiki. I live maybe 400 yards from a Target so I'm not a complete geek, semi-geek perhaps. Anyway, they didn't have any of it. But at least the female employee I talked to actually knew what tiki is! I'll try back in a few days. Those little short mugs from Target?

EDIT: Oh, those are candles aren't they? I was like "Why's he/she got milk in them mugs?"

[ Edited by: Kono on 2004-07-06 17:10 ]

S

I stumbled across a couple of the taget goodies yesterday. One of the mugs looks like he's had his hands amputated. There were some plastic tumblers with a tiki picture on them, but none of the other stuff. Any more pictures?

well, in all they had the mugs, candles(sans milk), a messge board with magnetic tikis, the bobblehead tiki, tiki lights(string), platic dishes, photo albums, and i think that's it....I will try and stop by an snap some photos...it's a super target so it may have a wider selection than the normal fine french store. Anybody want me to pick them something up?

late,
:P

K

While my tastes in Tikis tends to be towards the vintage side of town, I couldn't resist some of the Tiki stuff at Target. I got the Tiki Lava Lamp and it's pretty cool looking for being rubbery-plastic and only $14.99. I'll take a picture once I have it going, but I think that it will look very cool behind the bar.

I also got one of the pink mugs for my daughter for only $3.99! I wish the mugs were in better colors--they are all pastel blue and pink, etc. to tie in with the other Target summer items. And I got the message board. I will probably turn it into a chalk blackboard, but it's pretty cool for $4.99.

A lot of the stuff was pure crap! Why ruin an OK clock by having to say "Tiki Tock" on it? Most of the stuff is for the casual summer buyer, but if you pick and choose you can find some decent stuff...I had no idea that Tiki was getting this far into the mainstream.

I too skeedaddled over to Target, and found that all the Aloha Summer stuff was on sale, 50% off, at ours. I snagged all the fake bamboo cutlery, some candle-filled coconuts, napkins, good leis, etc., all half off. I'm ready for the luau to warm my new home...whenever I find one to buy.

We didn't have all the above stuff mentioned, but I fell for one of the wall clocks ($7.99). Yeah, I wish it didn't say "Tiki Time" (and that it weren't orange!), but the little 3D tikis marking the numbers were too cute for me to pass up. No eyelash crap on this one, either. Only a couple were named correctly (Lono and Ku, I think), and the rest were named arbitrarily. How cool would it have been for them to have been accurate.

I'm looking forward to seeing the lava lamp hooked up, Kingslod. I took it out of the box at the store to take a gander, and the tiki base didn't look bad at all for $15, you know?

TIKI: Now, more than ever

[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2004-07-06 22:32 ]

K
Kono posted on Wed, Jul 7, 2004 10:15 PM

Made it to a supertarzjhay today and boy did they have tons of tiki stuff! I was quite surprised, there were plenty of other items not mentioned above. When it comes to the new tacky tiki (Schonfelds, Dollar Tree, Big Lots, Spencers) this Target stuff is the best of the bunch.

The mugs were 4 bucks a piece. The big green mug has a handle in the back and is really huge. It's a hair shorter than the Gecko mug (which is a tall mug) but probably holds triple the volume. Little plastic rocks tumbler has a tiki emblem on it. Two candles that will make fine milk mugs when the wax is all melted away. Two salad plates. A box light or lighted box, whatever. On the back it says "Tiki Lounge." The "Tiki Time" clock as mentioned by Formikahini. Behind the clock is a tiki pillow.

They also had other tiki clocks, tiki party lights, a big magnetic message board with a clock on the right side and four tiki images on the left side, the tiki lava lamps, large tiki serving tray, tiki photo albums. The stuff was selling really quick. I didn't see the bamboo framed thing.

The cashier was actually laughing at me but now she knows what tiki is.

I want that tiki magnetic message board but I have no idea where I'd put it! The big ass mug with the handle is probably the coolest. At $6 each I think I'm gonna go get three more.

As far as being cheesey or tacky, this stuff really isn't that bad (the clock is a little borderline) and my big green mug is right now sitting right next to a T Vic's skull mug and a Treasure Craft Ku and looks right at home! I think these are the best nuevo mainstream tiki items since the Clay Arts pitcher and cookie jar. Go ye forth and check them out.

[ Edited by: Kono on 2004-07-07 22:17 to fix the pic ]

[ Edited by: Kono on 2004-07-07 22:18 ]

W

If this stuff is just showing up at Target it may be part of their back to school line aimed at the college bound. Target is just clearing out the summer stuff ('cause in Retail Land summer ends on July 5th) and the next wave of their stylish yet inexpensive goods should hit all shelves soon. So keep shopping. Always keep shopping. You must buy more. It is good to buy.

PS: Yesterday I saw a nicely designed wood Tiki car air freshener in the automotive section of a Target. $3, coconut scent.

All of this stuff is indeed in the "back to school" section, but there's gonna be nothing left for the students once TC is done shopping :lol:

-Z

my wahine bought me the smaller mugs and the handled kon-tiki mug yesterday. i agree the quality is alright ~ the thing i keep noticing when comparing these to the vintage "made in japan" stock is that the older glazes were much richer, with lots of depth and color variations based on the contour of the mug, whereas these glazes are pretty scientifically consistent, almost more like paint. but hey, the kon-tiki design is nice, didn't have that one yet, and i forsee drinking more beers than mai-tais out of it... and the price is right...

M

On 2004-07-08 07:48, Johnny Dollar wrote:
...the older glazes were much richer, with lots of depth and color variations based on the contour of the mug, whereas these glazes are pretty scientifically consistent, almost more like paint.

I agree with you J$. I noticed the same thing with the discount/overly mass produced stuff. I think that Tiki Farm still runs rings around them with their process. The definition is still there with every new mug they make.

I just picked up a tiki lava lamp at target......nicely carved design....only $15 too.....anyone else pick one of them up? I'll post a pic soon

Yeesh...
Half-finished clock idea I've been sitting on since before Oasis.
The irony? The clock base is from Target

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2004-07-08 11:27 ]

D

Well,I went to Target today-hoping to pick up some of those fun goodies you all have posted-NADA! Our old Target is turning into a SuperTarget-to compete with the new SuperTarget opening soon nearer to us-it was a complete nightmare-everything where is never was before-no mugs,clocks,signs,or anything.Hopefully,the new Target will have some of those nifty items-yes,they sound like the college-bound dorm stuff,so I hope they have it.At least I came home to a Tiki mug I got on Ebay.Nuts.

E

A friend tipped me off to Target tiki items and then I checked in here and of course you guys were already on to it! Thanks to the people who have shared pics...it was fun to see the items before I got a chance to slip into my local Tarjay.

I just got back and picked up the Tiki Lava Lamp (they now only have ONE left) so it does appear to be selling quickly.

I also got one of the SUPER GIGANTIC MONDO lava lamps in shades of blues and greens. Need to go hook that up and see how it looks....

Go to Target...*now! *

I

I stopped at a Target over lunch too. After a first walk through, I thought I would only buy a single tiki mug. But at the last moment I saw a box of these hula girl stringlights http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-3198759-0661405?asin=B00015D0Y2

These were unpriced, so I took a box to one of those self-serve barcode scanners to check the price - and was astounded to see they were only $2.50 per strand of 10 lights. I went back and bought all 5 sets that were on display, so hopefully soon I will have a strand of 50 hula girls all lit up.

I then checked and scanned several other items, and saw they were priced 75% off too - there were no signs indicating that there was an ongoing sale, so most shoppers probably assumed they were still at the original price. I ended up also buying at 75% off prices

• a large 20" x 15" melmac serving tray, with a neat surfer/hula girl cartoon scene on it for $2.25

• 6 colorful melmac cereal bowls with hula girls at the bottom .... 50 cents per bowl.

• 4 sets of the fake bamboo flatware (each set has four knives, spoons and forks) $2.50 per set

I kind of forgot to eat lunch, but it was still a good lunch break.

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev on 2004-07-08 19:37 ]

I finally gave into temptation and browsed Target for Tiki... Ahh, Tiki everywhere, and some items on Clearance! I didn't get an erection, but I believe my left nipple did get hard...

I ended up with three mugs, a candle (smaller version of a mug), the bamboo "Tiki bar is open" sign, the tiki bobble head, tiki auto deodorizer, and three serving platters. I don't believe anyone has posted the platter pics yet, so here they are:

If anyone's interested, they also have a tropical drink (including tiki) decorated photo album.

[ Edited by: Palm Paunch on 2004-07-08 20:34 ]

B

Ah-Ha! That must be the print on these sheet sets available from their site. And only $15!
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-2/qid=1089343558/ref=sr_1_2/602-5342740-0881468?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0001MEIRS

Sheets for $15? SHEETS?!? WOWsa!

Anybody know if they're in the stores, or only online?

Note to all friends who may visit me in the future; you now know from whence came your sheets on the guest bed :)

And Vern, you totally scored on the summer sale! My fake bamboo flatware was only 50% off, not 75%! We'll have to have a bake-off or something to decide who ultimately wins this one.

W

I too was compelled by TC to hit Target post work. So here's my 24 cents for any fence sitters: I agree with Kono, this stuffs pretty dang good looking for mass produced from a chain store. Yeah, the colors aren't all ideal, and some of the designs are too dorky for big kids but there's a lot of good items.

The mugs are really solid and don't have that sip-n-chip glaze a lot of inexpensive mugs have (like the contemporary KC stuff). Classic looking designs. (As Spy-Tiki pointed out one does look like his hands have been cut off. Creepy.) The deep blue, maroon, and light blue mugs have fairly acceptable colors (the light blue is pretty close to the classic "mermaid" mug). At $4 a pop they're great for everyday/clumsy hands.

The sadly named "Tiki Tok" wall clock is cast in styrene and looks just like carved wood. The Tiki on it is a classic desig, completely sans cheese. The "Tiki Tok" part could easily be covered with a strip of wood, an "ALOHA", or [Your Bar's Name Here].

There's a small dry erase board that is simply framed in plain, real bamboo. With no words or Tikis it's a great drinks specials board for any Tiki bar. For $5 one went home with me.

Oddity: The Tiki board game which looked like Chinese checkers but with small, well designed Tikis instead of marbles.

I'd guess most of you'd like the Lava Lamp (I mean "motion lamp"). There was only one left at my Target, and I figure this stuff went on the floor Tuesday. So rush, before it's 30 bucks on eBay. Target gets in limited supply of seasonal stuffs and usually there's no second shipment.

E

I thought the Chinese Checkers tiki game was odd too, but they only had one set left so someone is buying them. An unusual novelty item.

The lava lamps are appropriately warmed up now so I snapped a pic:

E

Here's one more photo of just the Tiki Lava lamp that really shows the details.

D

You lucky folks are KILLING me here-there wasn't so much as swizzle stick where I was-foodles.

Went to Target this morning and couldn't believe my eyes. I saw at least three different styles of tiki clocks. I saw the extremely large mug and smaller mugs with matching candles. It looked like many of the mugs had been purchased already. I saw small square plates, matching rectangular trays, matching plastic glasses (w/ tiki mug pic), and finally matching napkins. On top of that there was a tiki chalk board with tiki magnets and a similar tiki dry erase board. I also saw multiple tiki lounge signs that can be lit up and have different sayings on each side. There was also a bamboo style "tiki lounge is open" sign. I was surprised by the amount of tiki stuff they had. Oh, by the way did I mention they had pillows with tikis on them? Oh yeah I saw the bobble head tiki - it was really cute!

I guess we may be heading over there tomorrow to make the some purchases of what is there - first I had to see it for myself to believe it.

[ Edited by: SallyandJay on 2004-07-09 11:13 ]

K

Went to my Target yesterday and picked up some mugs and candles. I noticed that the Target mugs look just like some Clay Art mugs I bought last year except the quality is not as good. It looks like they made a mold from the Clay Art mugs to make the Target mugs...I don't know much about how mugs are made but see for yourself:

The mugs on the left are the Clay Art mugs, the ones on the right are the Target mugs.

You can see theres a big difference in the depth in the details and the sharper edges on the Clay Art mugs. I bought those at Spencer Gifts last year.

[ Edited by: Juno on 2004-07-09 11:40 ]

KK

Somewhere in southeast Asia there's a factory knockin' those out for about a nickel a case.
Tiki pirating- it's just wrong!

D

i went on a shopping expidition..here to report that the Targets in Seattle are just NOW getting stuff out of boxes, and onto shelves. no half or 75% off here.

i got mugs at full price, hulagirl lights at 75% off..

could it be, that "back to school" is earlier on the east coast?

D

cripes! didnt see that bobblehead.. that one really weighs 16.3 pounds??

the target stuff is really engaging. i'm not sure if its the happy colors that seem to coordinate so well, that you feel inclined to buy entire sets of housewares you didnt even need in the first place... or if theres some sort of intoxicating agent that makes you fill the basket with yet another plastic platter..

oh i dont know.. i do know im returning to target this weekend to get that dry erase board... i'll just justify it as a(nother) birthday present to myself..

elicia

S

There was a tiki lava lamp at Spencer's too. With the mark down it was only 10 bucks. (It's a different style)

[ Edited by: spy-tiki on 2004-07-09 16:03 ]

I went to the El Cerrito Target on my lunch hour and there wasn't a whole lot left. I don't think there was any discounting going on, either. All of it was part of their "back to college" department.

I walked out of there with one each of the mugs they had (six), two of the little mug candles, and the blue/green square lighted sign.

Should I hit the Targets in Colma tomorrow?

W

"...no half or 75% off here....could it be, that "back to school" is earlier on the east coast?"
-dogbytes

The stuff that's on clearance at Target right now is their summer line of Aloha plastics...Plates, cups, trays, flatware, and so on. Hula girl, flowers, and parrrot designs. The Tiki stuff is all new and not on sale...But "Back To School" usually ends when Halloween begins and in Retail Land that's the day after Labor Day. So get ready to score.

"the target stuff is really engaging...you feel inclined to buy..." -dogbytes

One of the reasons one wants to buy so much at Target is that they play no background music or have blaring televisions shouting about the wonders of their store. It's such a peaceful environment you want to shop yourself into perfect domestic bliss. Your life would be perfect if only you had new sheets, matching towels, a monkey candle holder, neon clock, black shag throw rug...SHOPPING = H A P P I N E $$!!!

K
Kono posted on Fri, Jul 9, 2004 6:37 PM

On 2004-07-09 11:39, Juno wrote:
Went to my Target yesterday and picked up some mugs and candles. I noticed that the Target mugs look just like some Clay Art mugs I bought last year except the quality is not as good. It looks like they made a mold from the Clay Art mugs to make the Target mugs...I don't know much about how mugs are made but see for yourself:

The mugs on the left are the Clay Art mugs, the ones on the right are the Target mugs.

You can see theres a big difference in the depth in the details and the sharper edges on the Clay Art mugs. I bought those at Spencer Gifts last year.

[ Edited by: Juno on 2004-07-09 11:40 ]

Well now I don't like my Target mugs as much anymore! I like the Clay Arts stuff but it's so hard to find. I got the pitcher off of ebay ($7 - steal) and got the cookie jar b/c a friend of mine was at Ron Jon's and saw that they had some and she picked one up for me. I didn't even know they had those mugs. Nice. Wish they had an online ordering source or something. Same with Chiki Tiki by agiftcorp.

E

Does anyone know how tall that hiking/reading tiki is? Too funny! I'd love to have one wandering around in the foliage in my tiki room...has anyone ever seen it in the stores?

TB

Stopped by Target tonight and found new tiki stuff on the shelves. It's part of the back-to-school-dorm-room seasonal merchandise with several assorted items with tiki images on them. The absolute winner of the assortment is the "Tiki Tock" clock. It's a faux wood rectangle with a tiki frieze on one side that has orange bamboo shaped clock hands.
I like it because my tiki room is outdoors and subject to the ravages of Florida humidity.

Also, there are a couple other styles of clocks, chalk boards and dry erase boards, tiki pillows, light box, tiki lounge sign, large ceramic tiki bank, and huge tiki steins.

based on the photos and description of the tiki lava lite i was skeptical, but we went to target sat morning and in person it seemed pretty cool for the price tag. so we got it, went home, plugged it in - i'd have to say that it is one of the coolest lava lites i've seen! the liquids inside are beautiful, and even if the base and top were spun shiny metal instead of a scowling quasi-bronze tiki, i would still hightly recommend it.

T

i went to 6 target's this weekend trying to find the tiki lava lamp. i was on a mission and it failed. none of them in my area have any. i even had them check in the back to see if they had some back there, but came up with nothing. i got a couple small mugs and 3 of the big ones and broke them in yesterday. i am still trying to find the lava lamp, but i'm going to have to check the ones a bit farther away from me. i'm really hoping to find it to add tom my small but growing collection. anyone in the oc or la area know of any target's that do have them?

You don't have to drive around to Target stores to find something, go up to the Customer Service desk & ask them to call around to the stores for you. You can even ask that the store to put one aside for you to pick-up. It depends on the individual store & the manager's policies: some will hold a piece for you, some won't. But all stores will call around to the other stores in the area & ask if what you want is in stock.

T

yeah, we tried that so the system was down and they couldn't check the other store's inventory. they called a couple for us, but they were ones they we had already went to. the were really nice and tried to help us out. they told me to call back in a couple days and they could try again to check the other stores for me. just checking to see if anyone knew if some local stores had them in.

Tiki5-0, the Target off of the 10 freeway and I believe Puente (there is the In-n-Out school and an In-n-Out right next to it) had two of the tiki lava lamps left. I too went to several Targets looking for one and that Target had three, I bought one, so there was two left on Saturday night around closing. If you go today, they still might be there.

T

Atomicchick, you're sooooooo awesome. i called up the target you told me to check out. they only had 1 left and they held it for me. i just got back from picking it up. i can't wait to leave work so i can go home and get it plugged in. thank you so much for the tip!!! tc er's are the best!!

Tiki5-0, no problem! Always willing to share the tiki wealth. Enjoy your lamp, it is a great one!

Found myself at the local Target today and picked up a couple of mugs, a candle and their last tiki lava lamp! Pretty cool stuff and inexpensive too!

Worlds collide....

According to this article:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2004/07/14/helkit.DTL&type=entertainment

Target will be selling a line of Hello Kitty Tiki stuff next year! whee!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 195 replies