Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

'OnaTiki 's new lava bottom lamp pg 16

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 243 replies

Great tiki Onatiki...looks like you are putting those new chisels to good use....very clean
lines....looks perfect...an inspiration! I just got the same chisel set...they're great aren't
they!

Wow.. very clean! Love the tattooing!. Did your show ever air yet on tv? I've been watching for it.

Oh my goodness gracious! That's great, I love the use of the tattoo, and are the eyelids rounded?

Holy Bejeez, nice work. Nice 1st design, nice everything...wooooooooo.

L
Loki posted on Wed, Dec 14, 2005 10:19 AM

Dang! Great work on the tiki. Very detailed!

J

I like the patchwork texture tattoos.
JP

Beautiful work, Ona! I would've never guessed that was a first stab at carving. It seems you've got some real talent. Keep it up and thanks for sharing the pics. I'm looking forward to seeing your next Tiki!

Josh
http://www.whollycatsband.com

OOOOHHHH,YEAH!!! with all those cool lamps it was just a matter of time before you started carving...very well done, ESPECIALLY for being one of the first! My first one looked like Grum the neanderthal cave dude did it. move over peeps, this boys got some mo' skills to show off...can't wait for #2

Hey, I heard you were at Spermy's?!?!?! DAMN, me too...I didn't get a chance to meet ya. Next time!

haven't had a chance to use the bandaids yet?...just give it time...tikis tend to bite sometimes...even after you're all done carving them...

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2005-12-14 13:18 ]

MD

One truly gifted creating cat! Beautiful clean work. Set up shop and quit your day job, you got it made.

M

Ona!! Wow! Just Wow!!!

My turn is coming fast ! I envvy youz that have done one or more in Ben's and Basement's and Lake's case (just to name a scant few. Many humble respects to those I may have un-itentionaly omitted).

Awaiting further funding to fall into place and then....It's on !!! Bar/Landscaping/Roofs/Details/Muzik

And the fever will be quenched

Many high props! Very nice!

Mahalo

McTiki

KK

wow! great stuff! Looks like Ill have to make one for myself someday! Really, there pono fo'shua brah!

Keep up da good work!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Dec 15, 2005 1:03 PM

Ona,

That is one tight carving. Looks like it was made in a bloody CNC machine!!! Great job man!

-Gman

Thanks for the chisel pics . It really is a great first carving. Too good in fact!!

well done Onatiki that is excellent work keep it up.

Nice work. You didn't waste any time getting started. Remember there are plenty logs left if you get the need. Any progress from Modmona?

O

Thanks for the props, but this isn't my first tiki. It's my third.

The first one I did about 5 years ago with ONE crappy chisel I got from HomeDepot.

The second one is this PNG on the right. It took me about a year to complete. Just didn't have the right tools.

Number 3 took three days. Amazing what the right tools can do. Number 4 should be ready for stain by Saturday and I'll post pics then.

Thanks again!!

First or third or whatever , they look great.

Those all look really great, Ona. I have that same set of flex cuts, and another set of 6 smaller ones. Thanks to you, I just realized that I NEED a large 60 or 70 deg V. That's the one I'm missing!

BTW, is that Jungle Trader's mug design tiki to the left of your No. 3 there?

M
Moki posted on Thu, Dec 15, 2005 10:14 PM

Good eye!!! Yes that is Jungle Trader's mug design. I was lucky enough to aquire that one at Tiki Oasis V from JT himself (Sorry Unga). It's one of my favorites!!

Opps...sorry I was logged in when 'Ona wanted to reply. This is from him :wink:

[ Edited by: Moki 2005-12-15 22:34 ]

Very nice work...What kind of palms do you have there?

O

The palms are mexican fan palms. In case you didn't notice, I borrowed some of the design elements from some of your older stuff. Hope you don't mind. You said to study the masters!!

J

All three tikis are very, very nice, that last one is so crisp. All I have is crappy chisels, looks like I'm going to have to invest in a set of good ones.
JP

O

Here's #4. Another marquesan. Going to try a dark stain on this one. I will post more pics when it's finished.

I'm going to try something different for the next one. Not sure what just yet. I have to go look through the books again.

Mahalo for looking!!

Skulls on tikis are cool.
Real nice work.
Thanks for posting.

drool.... talk about illustrious, YOU Rick are thee illustrious one.
All I can say is, all the newcomer carvers are doing so well, it's a challenge just trying to keep up. Excellent work!

That is one FINE looking marquesian! You got the carving down! I noticed that you're going a little deeper with your cuts on this one than on the last one, the head of the marquesian looks great - very detailed and precise. It's amazing how a good set of chisels can really set you free, no?

I'm thinking...BOT...the Tikis...as your inspiration? Very well done! I think I'd like to carve just about every tiki I see in that book. Massive amounts of inspiration.

Can't wait to see him after the stain...are you going to paint the skull? and maybe add some colored highlights?

O

Yes, went a little deeper on the cuts this time. Felt a little braver with this one.

I'm going to use a dark stain and highlight the skull and teeth. Then age them.

Not sure which page it was on, but the inspiration did come from the BOT.

Aloha!!

Alright Ona!
Why hasn't anyone started a book of Tiki Central carvers?

B

Another Excellent tiki by ONO the Great. Man, we should have gotten you those FlexCuts a Long time ago. What would TC be like if you had had them a year or 2 ago. We would be flooded with fantastic OnaTikis.. Somebody make sure this man Never runs outta logs. You make me proud. Just like Aaron said, looks like it came out of a CnC machine. Thanks.

O

Here is #4 finished with dark walnut stain and highlights. It's still a little wet, but we were running out of daylight for the picture. And yes Polynesiac, it was the Tiki's.

Thanks to everybody else also.

Aloha!!
:drink: :drink: :drink:

B

WOW, Ona, You can just Double everything I said earlier. You are totally blowing me away. Where have you been hiding. Quit your day job right now and find more logs. We can ALL take lessons from You.
Mahalos to you. Ona Rules

Oh my god! That is right on the money! That really looks like the real deal.
Nice job.

Right on the marq! That one has all of the elements of a great tiki.... mystery, adventure, and danger! I would not want to stumble onto that on an "unihabited" island! Really excellent, Ona. I think you have great things in store for us.

J

You put the one in BOT to shame. Great Job!
JP

MAN Ona, I really LIKE that one! Are you using Palm logs? Your stain came out really rustic looking; my dark walnut jobs come out pretty much black and boring. Did you use a sealer before the stain?

AA Pointed out that we used the same source for our latest tikis. Here's mine:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15874&forum=7&start=15&27

I've GOT to try a full body next time; your's is AWSOME!

yaeh, ona, aarons right - that tiki SCREAMS adventureland! Totally awesome - and the highlights add a ton of character!

Very nicely done!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 21, 2005 7:14 PM

Ona,

Beautiful stuff! Show us more, including progress shots!

-Gman

Ona, it's fantastic! I love that style! Very very Adventureland indeed!! You've been hiding your true skills all along, haven't you?

Hmmmmm.. I wonder.... Could there be room in the Woo for another #4? hehehe!

B

There is Always room for 1 more!

O

Here is carving #5. This one is not a tiki, but it is an island style log drum. Thought I do one in palm for practice before I do one in hardwood later. It's 4 feet long by 9 inches around.

Starting to hollow it out. Will do some more tomorrow and post more pics later.

Thanks for looking!!
Aloha
:drink:

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Dec 23, 2005 6:21 PM

Ona,

Wow! That's gonna be killer! Cool project idea. I can't wait to see some more. I'm digging the scales!

-Gman

B

Yep, thats going to be a Super nice slit drum. Do you use a chainsaw for any of your carving? One here would speed it up tremendously and you only need to be a little careful. Tape depth markers on the bar of the chain saw so you don't go too deep and you'll be dome before you can resharpen your long gouge.
Looks great.

This is one seriously talented cat! Very very cool! Bartender.........I'll have what he's having.

the scallops are a wonderful texture.

Holy Mcmollie Ona, The drum is lookin' pretty good man! Those scallop do look incredible. I just went back and looked over your whole thread and just have to say WOW again. Your work is top notch brother.
Happy Holidays to you and Moki,

Chongolio

tHAT IS GONNA BE GREAT!Where did you come up with the design? What book, what page?!! I really like it. Can't wait to see you hollow it out.

O

No book on this one..Had this design kicking around in my head for a while. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

O

Here's todays progress. All hollowed out!! Sounds pretty good too.

Happy Holidays everyone!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 243 replies