Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

'OnaTiki 's new lava bottom lamp pg 16

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 243 replies

O

Due to the recent unending rains we have been having in San Diego this winter, we have had to occupy our time doing crafts instead of working on completing our landscape project.

After purchasing a beautiful lamp from Kahaka, we were inspired to make some for ourselves.

This is the first one...

Then made a drum style...

The third was an even larger drum style laying on it's side...

And the one we finished today, was inspired by one we saw at Oceanic Arts but could not afford, so we made it ourselves...

Here is how they look at night. They add a nice glow to the bar.

Kahaka's is the one on the right

Still have more ideas. Will be posting more soon.

Aloha!
'OnaTiki & Moki
:drink:

[ Edited by: OnaTiki 2006-06-10 21:11 ]

T

Beautiful lamps, Ona. Looks like you're giving Kahaka and Al a run for their money.

Those are Sweet!!! Good job!! I wanna learn how to do that!!! Thanx for postng pics!!!
Later,
Spermy

I like them all, but the larger-drum piece is a standout. Nice.

D

Those are stunning! You should be very proud of your efforts-I love the way the seashells glow.Great job.

On 2005-03-15 19:27, OnaTiki wrote:
The third was an even larger drum style laying on it's side...

these are great, very inspiring.

I have to ask, where did you find this specific fabric? I'm having a rough time finding that pattern.

-Z

B

Onatiki, these are Really nice lamps. I Especially like the Shell lamp and the way it glows. They all look great lit up as well. Maybe you guys should pray for a few more rainy days, look at what happened!
Very Kuel

Those look magical! I'm going to try and do some myself and seeing this is very inspirational.

How did you fasten the shells?

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-03-16 06:02 ]

J

Finkdaddy - you took the words right out of my fingers...how did you make the shell lamp? I've been wondering for years how to make a lamp like that!

most excellent but not surprising. You got some serious talent living in that house.

Cant wait until our next opportunity to visit.

O

Thanks for all the kind words. The fabrics came from a woman in Samoa.

As for the shell lamp, I'm not really sure how other ones are made, but here is the idea I came up with.

First make a frame (a strong frame as the shells are heavy)

Then add the wire screen. Make sure it goes on straight. Keeps the rows even when tying the shells on.

Finish off the bottom of the lamp with whatever material you're using. I used hot glue to attach it.

Next, drill the shells. This lamp was roughly 12" around and 6.5" tall and it took about 200 2" shells. Happy drilling!!

I then tied the shells to the mesh with fishing line (triple tied). Overlap for the scalloped effect.

Now finish the top like you did the bottom. Add the lamp fixture.

The abaca cloth and seagrass rope came from OA and the wiring components can all be purchased from Home Depot.

If and when you attempt one of these. PM me for a few more tips. Beware....the shell lamp is very labor intensive but well worth the effort.

Mahalo

[ Edited by: OnaTiki on 2005-03-23 19:29 ]

S

Thanks for the enlightening information!!!Those look great!!

A

Great job you guys. I've wanted to make a shell lamp, but wasn't sure how to start, now I know.
Mahalo,
Al

K

Holy cow! Those look friggin' amazing. I too want to make one of those shell lamps one of these days. Mighty fine indeed!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 16, 2005 5:53 PM

Those lamps are too nice. I am already thinking about how i could make one up for my room.

O

Here are the newest lamps.

#5 is a large woven bamboo lamp. I used pieces of some leftover bamboo fencing and wove it into a basket form. The bottom is 1" pieces of bamboo cut so that the light shines through. (Another very labor intensive lamp, but again worth the effort)

The coconut mug shown for size comparison. This lamp is approx 20" across and 16" tall.

#6 is a small 6" round by 12" tall tapa fabric lamp also with bamboo bottom.

Still have more ideas... This stuff is fun!!

Aloha

I love the effect of the bamboo grid on the bottom. Nice work Ona.

Beautiful lamps Ona!!. Your talent blows me away.

What a great mood light with the bamboo fiberoptics!

J

Hey Ona - awesome job! How did you attach the pieces of bamboo for the bottom?

TB

Hey Ona, great job with the lamps. They all look awesome, their going to look great with the rest of your outdoor tiki bar!

TBird.

Holy Moly, That's Sweet!

O

Thanks again everyone.. The bamboo is held in place by resin..you can find that a the depot also.

D

These lamps are mesmerizing, spellbinding and hypn-O-tizing! Very nice OnaTiki!

S

Really fantistic stuff Onatiki. I too love the look of that bammboo bottom. Very nice.

Wish I had a Home Depot to frequent. All I have is an over priced under stocked Lumber Yard, and an Ace Hardware thats even worse. They've been saying for 2 or 3 years they're going to build one near here, but you know the kinds of things THOSE people say....

I see the need for a trade sometime in the future.

O

Here is #7

It's 12" across by 12" tall with the bamboo bottom and carved wood accents.

This will probably be the last one for awhile as the sun has finally returned and I must go back to work outside.

Monkeyman.... I'm sure a trade can be arranged.

Mahalo

Absolutely brilliant Onatiki. If I could put two wires together without half of San Diego going dark, I might be tempted to give it a go myself.

Stunning!! Bravo!!

WOW these lamps are excellent. I love the cut bamboo bottoms - they look totally cool lit up!

T

Fantastic Ric! I wish I had the talent and patience to create something this good! Man, keep creating and posting...we never get tired of seeing your work...!

F

Simply amazing! You've inspired me to try a couple of my own. I love checking this thread, you're an awsome talent.

O

The weather took a slight turn for the worse here today, so I had time to make another lamp.

Here's a few pics of number 8. The ships wheel lamp. Got the idea from Bongofury.

Mahalo for looking!!
Aloha

dude, you are unstoppable.

A

cool!!!

oh, yeah! I love all your lamps, but that last one speaks volumes to me! very salty, very salty

T

That's awesome! Where did you get the ship wheels?

I'm speechless.

O

Thanks guys. It's been lots of fun making these.

The ship wheels came from Michael's craft store. The are very light (Bass wood I think) and they are unfinished. Stain them any color you like!! Cool...

Anybody else making any lamps yet? Let's see them....

VERY fine lamp!

L
laney posted on Fri, Apr 22, 2005 3:31 PM

Amazing work!
I love the ships wheel idea and am totally going to use it, if that's OK.
I too have made those shell on wire lamps. I have a few vintage ones which served as insperation. I must say they are tough on the hands...I had cuts and scrapes all over and it was too hard to work with gloves on. Oof. Got any secret tips for when I attempt another, or are you cut up too?

Laney, you can get kevlar gloves that are thin as latex, metal workers use them. nothing will cut your hands and you can feel everything through them. That might do the trick!

GREAT lamps! I'm itching to make one, but am too chicken to cut up my tapa. Might try using some cotton fabric instead.

O

laney, go for it on the ship wheels...I have to give props to Bongofury for that idea..but I think it had been done before. All the lamps are fabric with mod podge on them...I did not bleed during the making of the shell lamp, but I was going blind trying to see the wire..
Aloha..

[ Edited by: onatiki on 2005-04-28 23:55 ]

K

Dang! SOOOOOPER SWEET!

I think we need a panoramic shot of all the lamps a-glow. Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself. The place must look fee nom min all.

O

Okay, I know it's been awhile.

Here are a couple of projects we did today.

We refinished the garage door and with the left over matting I made a new lamp.

Simple design but nice glow.

Here are a few pics.

Aloha!!

What can I say "All of your Lamps ROCK" I can't wait to see them In person. Keep up the Great Work and thanx for Posting Pic's
Later,
Scott

C

Uh...looking for an adjective...Howz about Brilliant.
Nice work Ona.

Chongolio

F

Your creativity and talent flow like a waterfall...beautiful to appreciate and awe-inspiring in their magnatude ...dude.

Now i really want to make one for myself.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 243 replies