Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

'OnaTiki 's new lava bottom lamp pg 16

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 243 replies

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2005 6:50 AM

very cool dude = much impressed

Nice. It's becoming more and more difficult to pick a favorite.

B

Darn Ona, I'm about to the point I'm praying for rain on you so you can make more goodies to show us. And folks he says it so easily" Well it rained today so I threw together this here lil old lamp..." and he has a jewel of a creation there. I LOVE it. Ona you're the best. I HAVE to get to your house one day.

M

diggin the door. YES !

O

Made a couple of more lamps for the Fakalala Lounge.

this last one was made with some vintage barkcloth we got off E-Bay.

Mahalo for looking.

MG

Nice stuff man!
Where's the Fakalala Loung? Is that your place?

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2005-06-15 21:43 ]

O

Yep, it's our old bar. We converted it into a lounge/guest room.

H

cool lamps (again)
well done dude (again)

More! (again!)
:)

I don't know how I never seen this post before.

Your lamps are all awesome!

Although I'm not quit sure about the purple walls in the bar. :D

B

OnoTiki, you need to have your house put on HGTV. See the guy who is looking for you to go on his show here is the link:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15218&forum=7&start=last&7
Make it happen, then I'll come to see you....

O

Here are a few more I made in the last couple of weeks.

Cone shaped with a shell bottom. Trying something new here.

extreme close up of the shell bottom

saw this design at OA with the top and bottom plates

vintage cloth with a bamboo bottom

As always, thanks for looking and Flounder, the walls are a dark red/burgundy. The color just wasn't on in the pictures. NO PURPLE!!! :wink:

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jul 12, 2005 4:35 AM

Man, more cool lamps. Are you running out of ceiling?

[TCers gather round, as they perform a rain dance so Onatiki makes more lamps]

These lamps are the most! :) Thanks for posting.

O

Had a little time for some new projects for the bar. Started with a foot rest because we got tired of dangling our feet at the bar.

Next came a few flat panels that I had been wanting to try for a while. I'll definitely be doing more of these!!

Then I finally finished this tiki I'd been working on. It's only my second one. Hope to do more soon. It's a papua new guinea style. Still needs stained and sealed. And no, I didn't carve the little one on the left. That was carved by our illustrious Jungle Trader.

Ever wonder what to do with some palm fronds, shells, wine corks and rope??

Thats all for now and as usual...thanks for looking!!
Time for :drink:

i'm sure all of this effort will fit in very well at
the Onatiki abode....the footrest...tiki...and all the
masks are very cool....i really like the tiki and the
last set of masks....waste not....want not...right?

OnaTiki-
Dude that stuff "F"in ROCKS!!! I am going to have to come over and see it in person (Hint Hint). Hey man your place kicks ass!! Thanks for showing us your continuous work in progress!!!
Later,
Spermy

B

Ona Braugh, you have been holding out on us. I think you should get a pile of logs and go to town on 'em. You have some good beginnings and after a few, we will be calling you for advice.. Bring 'em on!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 12, 2005 8:38 PM

Thats some really cool stuff man. Love the footrest and the flat panels. Real nice.

Ona - excellent panel work my friend! Love the foot rest. Very cool carving (don't see many that style on the board) and those masks are ultra creative. I knew an artist who used to paint those fronds, but the corks and rope take the cake!

well done!

Looking good as always. When's the next shindig?

i'm thinkin' you need to be carving more tikis!

nice stuff....

P

Very nice stuff.
My favorite is the footrest, so few will ever really notice it but it will still add a great deal to the place.

I gotta get to SD one day.
Me and Haole Kats were talking about hitting Tiki Oasis and doing a CA minitour next year. That would be a cool time to come by, ehhh?

Hi Onatiki we need to see more awesome lamps and i love the carving.

O

Conga-Thanks!! If I haven't told you lately, your stuff is pretty awesome too. Been a little busy to be on the board much lately.

Spermy-Thanks man!! You know you're welcome to come by anytime (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Ben- I haven't been holding out, just observing the masters at work. I am now a yellow belt. Hoping to soon have my "black belt" in carving like you and BK. As PolyPop would say Watahaaa!!!

Pablus-Thanks for the props. Are you going to be stopping by on your way to Hawaii?? And the Haole Cats and you at Oasis would be amazing. Please pull that off!!

Hewey, Polynesiac, Palama, Marcus & Matt: Thanks for the compliments!! They keep me inspired. It's hard to keep up with all the talent in this place.

You guys are all too kind!!
Aloha!!
:drink: :drink: :drink:

Good stuff Ona... O.K amazin' stuff!! I really dig the frond mask with the bones thru the noses very effective and exotic. All the carvins are cool too. Take it easy,
Chongolio

Ona, People must freak when they visit your place for the first time. Everything is top-notch. Keep surprising us like you have been.

Onatiki, that is one excellent tiki - and only no. 2! Man, if I had a place like your's I'd try to do some myself too. Otherwise it would cost a fortune.

Aaron

Saw that footrest up close. It's really detailed.

Ona you never cease to amaze me with the stuff you pull outta that workshop!

Gorgeous work!

O

Here's a new lamp. It is actually a papasan foot stool from Pier One that MonkeyMan gave me. So I did what I always do......make a lamp out of it!!!

Thanks for looking!
Aloha....

That Lamp looks sweet. You have great ideas!!! Thanks for sharing.
Later,
Spermy

God Damn Ona!!
Cut the crap and sell me one!! :)
Your lamps ROCK!
I'll see you in a couple of weeks my friend!

Unga

B

I Officially predict famous art work originating from Ona's workshop. Ona , we gotta get you into high gear and get you carving more, You're a natural.

Onatiki your work is so awsome. I am in love wth your lamp work. I was wondering if you might please post of shot of the bamboo grid which is see peeking out of the lamp pictures. I have been wanting to do something with my ceiling, plus I need a way to hide the lamp cords, I've got cords running all over.

Damn, I just through out my papasan foot stool! grrrr. You're so creative!

Another good one. And again I'm jealous.

Now why didnt I think of that before I gave it away????

Just kidding. Ive got no space for it and Im very happy a fellow TCer could make use of it.

You are the Tiki KING in San Diego as far as Im concerned.

Ric, that new one is awsome!
You are one talented dude.

Another great one. I had planned on trying one, but other projects seem to come up ... besides I seem to like each of your newer designs as they come off your assembly line. Great Ideas and even beter execution.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 30, 2005 7:25 PM

I just went back through the entire thread - some really cool stuff. The lamps blow me away the most, but the carvings you did are really funky too. My fave is the ship wheel light. And a footrest? Whod have thought?

Nice stuff.

Sweet lookin' lamp Ona, but how do you keep get your feet to stay up there? :D
Neato!
Chongolio

Lovely lamps!!!! Have you done any with capiz shells?

O

No capiz shells yet.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I guess I missed your post.

O

I decided to throw my hat into the ring and get some serious chisels. The new flex cuts arrived a few weeks ago.

They even come with their own bandaids!! Luckliy, I haven't needed them yet.

Made a trip to get some logs....Thanks Matt & Heath

Picked my design.....

and got busy!!

All finished with this one and I'm already on to the next.

Hopelessly addicted!!

you gat skills mang!!!!!

That Marq looks freakin great!!! Good Job!!!

B

Woah!! Look what happens when you give a man good toolz. Excellent and Awesome Mr OnaTiki, I am Flabbergasted. Lets see the rest now??

Very nice work, Ona!

Very nice work. Would you mind posting a shot of the chisels you bought and which ones they are?

Thanks.

O

Thanks everybody for the kind words!!

Rodeo, here is the info you wanted. I got the FlexCut sculptor's set plus I also ordered the 1-3/8" straight chisel and the 1" 60 degree V chisel. I find that I use the flat and the two V chisels the most. I would probably in the future pick up a 1/2" straight chisel for the smaller areas.

If you need more info, check out FlexCut's page
FlexCut

I've already started number 4. Will be posting pictures in a few days.

Mahalo!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 243 replies