Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

'OnaTiki 's new lava bottom lamp pg 16

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 243 replies

B

HEy Ona, you got that drum hollowed out pretty quick, how'd'ja do it so fast?? Looks great too.

O

Thanks Benz!!
I hollowed it with the hand chisels. No chainsaw for me.

It really didn't take too long. Only a couple of hours. Then I sanded inside as far as I could reach with my big fat fingers. Might work on it some more today. We'll see.

really love the scales effect. A drum is something I have wanted to create but its only on a list with the 13 other thing I want to do.

J

A drum with only chisels, my hat is off to you!!! I've done two and both were with use of a chainsaw and that even took a while. I like the scales and the decorative ends. You do really precise work!
JP

O

Number 5 is done!!! The weather has cooperated finally. Nice, warm and 80 degrees today. So unlike the nasty wind and rain that poured all weekend.

As always, thanks for looking!!

[ Edited by: OnaTiki 2006-01-05 18:49 ]

K
kirby posted on Thu, Jan 5, 2006 6:54 PM

off the hook ona... how does she sound....

O

She has a deep sexy voice!!

B

Yes OFF the Hook this time. the Drum is definitley a Winner, and a keeper and a first class beater, you must have gotten plans from someone. Well done Ono, well done.

That is TOO cool! Wonderful, clean work! But I want to hear it, too! Think you can get it over to the computer, put a mic in the sound card and record a WAV of it?? (on bended knee) PLEASE??!!

Ona what can I say?? You kick some serious ass!! That drum looks really nice!!!
Later,
Spermy

Dat's da quality...Great work.

J

The drum turned out very nice. I bet you can hear it for blocks.
JP

R

It looks amazing Ona. How much wood did you remove from the drum. I have never seen one before and seeing yours has me thinking I would like to try and carve one some day.

Mahalo for sharing.

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 7:53 PM

That's bitchen. Bang on that thing so I can hear you in Orange County!

Beautiful finish on that drum...I bet it sounds as beautiful as it looks. That white really makes the design stand out and gives the drum an awesome contrast. Very well done....

THere's a mask in there too...on some ply...that one of yours too? - looks cool!

L
Loki posted on Sat, Jan 7, 2006 4:08 AM

On 2006-01-06 19:39, rodeotiki wrote:
It looks amazing Ona. How much wood did you remove from the drum. I have never seen one before and seeing yours has me thinking I would like to try and carve one some day.

Mahalo for sharing.

Yeah Ona, share the secrets 8). Killer job as usual.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jan 7, 2006 5:19 AM

Ona,

Beat that drum and drink some rum!!!! It's beautiful!

H

Amazing work Ona! I'm proud to be your homeboy!

Very nice as always. I dig the colors you decided on. You know if you've got no room to hang it I'll gladly store it for you. Great job.

O

Thanks for all the compliments guys!! It keeps me inspired.

Polynesiac, good eye on the mask. Here is the finished piece. Just needs to be aged a bit.

I am carving a couple more masks and then I am out of logs!!! Need to find more. Got to feed my jones. I got a tiki on my back man!!!

Many mahalos.....

B

Sombody Get this man some LOGs. We can't afford to have you out of carving material. You got us goin now and you can't quit just because you have no logs! The mask is Killer, Ono.
ONO ROCKS.

Yeah, yeah, like G said...beat that drum...drink some rum, and dig that crazy beat.

Nice work Ricky.

Dig it!! Dig?

KK

Aloha Bruddah!
Some "delicious"(ono!)work there cuz! Keep up the good work! Get in da truck and cruise da town, find yourself some logs! One of my fellow carvers follows tree trimmers around to pick up the scraps. Maybe you could call a few companies and see if theyll let you grab some of da kine while they clean up! Just a suggestion...Anyway, great work on the mask brah, keep it up!

Malama Pono!

T

Wow!

Wow!

Did I mention...Wow!

Holy Cow Ric! Where are you going to put these? I'd love to see pictures of where they end up in the fantastically tiki scheme of things at your house.

SO THAT"S what he ended up looking like! He's not naked faced anymore! Terrific job, Ona!

J

The mask looks great! You said you were carving more, any progress?
JP

O

Took a break from carving. Decided to make another lamp. This one is with the large scallop shells. The shells are about 4-5 inches wide.

As always, thanks for looking.

Aloha!!!

F
foamy posted on Tue, Jan 17, 2006 1:56 AM

Gorgeous.

B

Boy, Ono, this one's a Beauty, It has such Deep coloration and would look nice hanging anywhere. Master Ono!

On 2006-01-16 21:56, OnaTiki wrote:
Took a break from carving. Decided to make another lamp. This one is with the large scallop shells. The shells are about 4-5 inches wide.

Ona, what did you put the shells over? I have some large reddish scallop shells I got for a couple bucks & was trying to think what to mount them on to make a lamp.
[edit]Duh! First page has directions. Thanks Ona!

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-01-17 11:03 ]

THAT... is a beautiful lamp. Those larger shells REALLY make that thing pop off the page. I have to say I like them better than the smaller shells. MUCH better, in fact.

Fantastic job, Ona! I can't wait to see it in person.. and soon!

I should bring some rum....

The shells look awesome, both lit and unlit. Very inspiring.

Ona, just beautiful, beautiful work on all your stuff. I like it all and really love your lamps. I was wondering if you could give a few tips on the wattage of bulbs you recommend to use in the tiki lamps. Do you use different wattages for different sizes and any safety concerns you can share with us?

I hope to make a lamp soon, like the rest of the folks you've inspired.

C

Ric,

When you going to open your online store?

Onatiki's Hale O' KuKui?

Great work!

~Cyntiki

I love that top. Dude....

Its almost like you should hang it inverted to show off that octopus look.

O

Thanks everyone for the kind words..Jim as far as wattage goes, I use 40 watts in most lamps. just enough light to give a decent glow. a couple of little ones I used 7 watts. you don't want it so hot that you burn your lamps. and use the proper cords and such. Good luck and post pics when your are done.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 19, 2006 1:13 PM

Wow, another awesome lamp. Love it. Pity you cant see the top though, it looks sweet

You're killing me. Get a job or something and stop knocking out so much tiki. I'm so damn jealous.

P

I can't wait to strum the uke under that bad boy.
You'd better have some Falernum or I'm trashin' the place.

OT strikes again! Very nice. I like the way you ran the seagrass rope around the shells.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2006 6:04 PM

Nice lamp! Now go get lit!

-Gman

Okay I take it back. Keep knocking out the tiki. I just want to say thanks for the awesome lamps and the top-notch t-shirt. Incredibly generous.

[ Edited by: Matt Reese 2006-01-20 18:47 ]

P

wow, very inspiring. i'm going to the wood shop now.

where did you get the shells?

O

Here is my latest carving. Decided to do our logo tiki designed by Doug Horne (aka Swampfire). This one is 6 foot tall by about 2 foot around.

It's sanded and ready for stain. Haven't decided on a stain color yet. I'll post another picture when it's done.

Thanks for looking!!
Aloha.....

H

How about pink?????

M
Moki posted on Thu, Jan 26, 2006 5:47 PM

:lol:

Wow Ona... Really nice job.

Truly the master of all arts.

Ric you did a great job!! The cuts are nice and clean too!! You sure do know how to wip those Tiki's out :wink: Thanks for posting pic's!
Later,
Spermy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 243 replies