Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tiki Room Dole Pineapple Whip

Pages: 1 34 replies

P
pharos posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2004 5:06 PM

That Dole Pineapple Whip is like nectar from the Gods. Does anyone know the recipe? I asked the lady at the hut, but she said it came pre-mixed. I've tried reaching Dole, but they haven't been any help. Help, I NEEEEEED my Dole Pineapple Whip!!!!!!

-pharos

D

Pharos,welcome! Go to http://www.epicurious.com,type in pineapple whip,and see if either of those is close.Sounds fruity and creamy to me!

TM

Is this the Frozen Drink? If so, you are correct, it could be the best frozen drink in the universe! I don't think there is a recipe because I do know this: The mix comes in a bag and is the consistancy of shampoo. I saw a gal load up the goop in the machine the last time I was there. For those of you that haven't had the pleasure of trying it, the frozen treat is like pineapple soft serve ice cream, but somehow has no dairy in it?!?!?! The Pineapple "smoothie" and the corn dogs are worth the admission to the Magic Kingdom!

Mugs, vintage, bars, hand carved poles, apparel and more!
Everything Tiki at: http://www.bartiki.com

[ Edited by: Tiki Matt on 2004-08-04 16:52 ]

P

Well, I finally heard back from Dole regarding the Tiki Room Dole pineapple Whip. Apparently it is manufactured for Dole by a company called Precision Foods, Inc. They make other flavors besides the pineapple one.

http://www.precisionfoods.com/foodservice/bnd_products_details.cfm?skuid=10922&id=103

The ingredients are:

Water, High Fructose Corn Sugar, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Pineapple Juice Concentrate, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Maltodextrin, Stabilizers (Cellulose, Locust Bean, Guar, Xanthan, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Citric Acid, Sodium Caseinate (A Milk Derivative), Mono & Diglycerides, Sodium Citrate, Salt, Dipotassium Phosphate, Artificial Flavor, Extractives of Annatto & Turmeric.

One half cup serving has 110 calories and 17 grams of sugar.

Apparently it's not only sold at Disneyland.

[ Edited by: pharos 2011-05-23 07:22 ]

TM

You can probably get those ingredients at your local grocery store, let me know how they turn out...

Ooooohh... Dole Whip... Mmmmm....
Yeah, Dole Whizip is the shiznit. There's a little stand right next to the International Marketplace in waikiki that sells it. There and D-land are the only places I've seen it. Well worthh a trip to either.
Aloha,
:tiki:

D

i've been googleing for your recipe, but only found some wierd thing that included chocolate chips and marachino cherries :o

from the list of ingredients, it sure sounds a lot like pineapple sherbert (has milk) or a sorbet (no milk)! homemade wont have all the chemical ingredients ~ but a little bit of rum or vodka would keep the sherbert/sorbet from becoming hard (and more like soft serve!)

try this:

FRESH PINEAPPLE SHERBET
1/2 cup sugar
1 pineapple, cored, trimmed, reserving 6 large wedges for garnish,
puréed in a blender, and forced through a fine sieve (3 cups strained
purée)
1 1/2 cups well-chilled milk
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
fresh mint sprigs for garnish if desired

In a small saucepan combine the sugar and 1/2 cup water, bring the mixture to a boil, and simmer it for 5 minutes, or until it is reduced to 1/2 cup. Let the sugar syrup cool completely. In a bowl whisk together the pineapple purée, the sugar syrup, the milk, the lemon juice, and pinch of salt. Chill the mixture until it is cold and freeze it in an ice-cream freezer according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve the sherbet in scoops on dessert plates garnished with the reserved pineapple wedges and the mint.

Makes 1 quart.

google "pineapple sorbet" for non-dairy recipes!

TM

homemade wont have all the chemical ingredients

Don't chemicals make everything taste better?

D

On 2004-08-05 10:57, Tiki Matt wrote:
[Don't chemicals make everything taste better?

absolutely!
see related story food scientist

Maybe we can talk Conga Mike into putting in a soft serve machine at his fine establishment and experimenting with rum-based Dole Whips...?

P
pharos posted on Thu, Aug 5, 2004 6:14 PM

Where exactly is Tiki Matt's fine establishment?

P
pharos posted on Thu, Aug 5, 2004 7:44 PM

I mean Conga Mike.

Conga Mike's Conga Lounge is in Oakland, CA - I haven't been able to check it out yet, but I used to live just a few blocks away, way back when.

P

Oh, the Conga Lounge. I was there just the other day. I didn't know who the owner was.

M

You can buy Pineapple Dole Whip, which is manufactured by Precision Foods, at the following website in Hawaii:

http://www.uec-hawaii.com

They sell it by the bag and include mixing instructions for small ice cream makers.

T

I love these things. Get 'em whenever I'm at Disneyland (which isn't very often anymore). They have them at the Dole Pineapple Plantation on Honolulu (of course) and they used to sell them in the Honolulu airport. Sadly, the last time I went through Honolulu, the airport no longer sells Dole Whips. They had all been replaced by lame generic ice cream vendors.

Pineapple Dole Whip
Adventureland

Ingredients:
2 cans (20 oz. each) DOLE Crushed Pineapple
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped

Instructions:

Drain pineapple; reserve 2 tablespoons juice. Set aside.

Place pineapple, lemon juice, lime juice, sugar and reserved pineapple juice in blender or food processor container. Cover; blend until smooth.

Pour into two 1-quart freezer zipped bags. Store bags flat in freezer. Freeze 1-1/2 hours or until slushy.

Stir pineapple slush gently into whipped cream until slightly blended, in large bowl.

Return to freezer until completely frozen, about 1 hour and serve.

-=-=-=-=-=-
Taken from: http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/recipes/dolewhip.asp

Wow that sounds delish.....and welcome to TC gh0ulsg0newild (great name). :lol:

You can buy a Dole Whip at WHIPP'D LA in West Hollywood. They even deliver if you live or work in the area.
I haven't been yet, so I can't say what the quality is. They have Hawaiian style hot dogs too. Meaning King's Hawaiian roll, bacon and pineapple on a hot dog.

Address: 7901 Santa Monica Blvd West Hollywood Ca 90046

http://www.whippdsoftserve.com

Martha's Dandee Creme in Lake George, NY has Dole Pineapple, Mango and Raspberry....

Makes for a popular side trip during Ohana Luau at the Lake.

There is a little place in Eagle Rock, CA called Yogurt Haven that has Dole Whip. It is really, REALLY good.
And if you are ever visiting Oahu, HI, you can get it at the Dole plantation and at a tiny place in the food court of the International Market Place in Honolulu/Waikiki.

On 2013-03-07 21:29, Pyrate Gyrl wrote:
And if you are ever visiting Oahu, HI, you can get it at the Dole plantation and at a tiny place in the food court of the International Market Place in Honolulu/Waikiki.

I've bought Dole Whip at both places. Get it at International Marketplace while you still can - plans have been circulating to demolish the IMP in Waikiki. We could lose this place in late 2013.

Hula Girls Shave Ice in Huntington Beach is friends of Tiki Central and they have Dole Whip. The Portugese donuts known as malasadas are great too!
http://www.hulagirlsshaveice.com
16556 Bolsa Chica St.
Huntington Beach, Ca 92649

Disney will have a new Dole Whip shirt out soon.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/show-off-a-humorous-disney-side-with-new-t-shirts-at-disney-parks-in-fall-2013/

Comprehensive article about Disneylands Dole Whip (& WDW Citrus Swirl).

MiceAge:Dole Whip Vs Citrus Swirl

Includes history of pineapple on Hawaii & tiki legend in a photo enjoying a Dole Whip.

[->>King Bushwich 33rd on Hulu.com

C

They have Dole Whip at Lapperts Ice Cream in Poway/San Diego!!!!!!

No idea how long this has been going on.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lapperts-ice-cream-and-coffee-lounge-san-diego-4

Just had some. Was bettah than Disneyland cause they can actually put it on TOP of any other freshly made ice cream you want. Coconut/Dole Whip. Chocolate Dole Whip. Or just get it straight, a "small serving" is HUGE. Holy Kabolies!!!!

The most common place you can find "Dole Pineapple Whip" is at most "Menchie's Frozen Yogurt."

http://www.menchies.com/frozen-yogurt-flavors

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2014-03-31 05:15 ]

I've recently been getting the impression that the distribution of Dole Whip is increasing. I'm seeing it pop up more often in places, some of which are flat-out claiming "previously only available in Disney parks," or something to that effect. It's great stuff.

I'll have to look in my photos from my last Hawai`i trip -- at the Dole Plantation they sell a banana split-type dessert with THREE very tall towers of Dole Whip in half of a hollowed-out pineapple as the bowl. I'll post a photo. It had lots of fresh pineapple chunks and stuff. It was heavenly and took three of us to finish it all.

A

I was suprised to discover recently that Dole Whip is now at San Diego's Belmont Park:
http://www.belmontpark.com/restaurants/dolewhip/

K

On 2014-03-31 05:13, MaukaHale wrote:
The most common place you can find "Dole Pineapple Whip" is at most "Menchie's Frozen Yogurt."

Though my nearest location in Burbank has recently removed his flavor - I think they rotated all their flavors out recently. Same with another location near my house in Santa Clarita. Might be seasonal.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Apr 14, 2014 9:11 AM

Had a long chat with the Lapperts manager last night, he said that the Poway location is the main distribution point for all mainland Lapperts online and restaurant sales; they have a Richmond facility to handle other store sales. They make their ice cream round the clock to keep up with demand, and the flavors at the Poway store change constantly. The store is actually a SixGroup company, a consortium of Airlines/UPS shipping and tourism interests, all needed to ship this French-style ice cream anywhere on the globe.

The local businesses begged the manager to open up for retail sales for TWO YEARS before he finally relented.

All of this adds up to the fact that I had a Rum N' Raisin with a Dole Whip topper last night and it was the freaking most amazing ice cream experience of this part of the known universe. The Dole Whip menu choices have a cute little "Disneyland" logo beside them.

Don't tell anybody, it wasn't busy at 8:30pm. Lets keep it that way...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lapperts-ice-cream-and-coffee-lounge-san-diego-4

Rosie Radish will be make the VenTiki version of Dole Whip this weekend, she has been toying with the various recipes for over a year and has come damn close. Unfortunately she won't even let me see the recipe and we are dating....

And now you can have your own Dole Whip ceramic container.

Sold in Adventureland.

New at Disneyland. The photo is from the Tikiman Facebook page.

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2014-07-17 14:16 ]

From Eater LA, June 30, 2015:

There’s always a lot to talk about when it comes to Roy Choi, but in his stable of LA restaurant concepts its usually 3 Worlds Cafe that gets the least attention. The South LA coffee and sweets shop, known primarily for serving up one of the city’s best Dole whips, isn’t as sexy or commercially appealing as Choi’s other projects, but it represents an early look at the sort of community giving that the popular Korean-American chef has become more recently known for through his upcoming fast food franchise Loco’l.

Well now, in an attempt to shine some brighter light on the 3 Worlds Cafe way, Choi is doing exactly what he does best: taking to the streets. Starting today, Choi and his Kogi team will be cruising through Los Angeles with a wrapped yellow and green 3 Worlds Cafe truck, selling those Dole whips, plus boba drinks and more.

The truck is being rolled out in conjunction with Dole Packaged Foods, which has from the start helped behind the scenes with 3 Worlds Cafe. The partnership helps to not only defray the overhead of keeping the cafe running and starting up a truck, but keeps the business side intact so that Choi can continue to give proceeds back to nearby low income Jefferson High School. Better still, the truck is actually an extension of a business education class being taught at Jefferson, which continues to help give high schoolers leadership roles throughout the 3 Worlds process.

For today, the 3 Worlds Cafe truck will be popping up from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in front of the original 3 Worlds Cafe space at 3310 Central Avenue. After that, you’ll have to go old school and follow along on Twitter.

From MousePlanet.com

"Dole Whips are finally available for Disneyland visitors outside of Adventureland. The Coffee House at the Disneyland Hotel, possibly in a move to lure customers now that a second Starbucks has opened in Downtown Disney, now serves Dole Whip soft-serve and Dole Whip floats, just like you can find outside the Enchanted Tiki Room. For those so inclined, you can also order your Dole Whip with a splash of rum, an option not available inside Disneyland.

Prices are $4.49 for a Dole Whip, $5.49 for a float, or $8.75 for the boozy version. Just keep in mind that The Coffee House closes before dusk, so don't save this for an after-dinner treat."

MousePlanet: December 12, 2016

Pages: 1 34 replies