Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Best Wishes to Florida Ohana...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 148 replies

Mutha nature's a bitch sometimes!

Damn I was drunk through the whole thing. I still am.

The thing was a monster and is still refusing to leave Florida.

I'm one of the lucky ones in Brevard county though. 223,000 without power!!! Mine came on today around noon. My neighborhood is trashed. Trees down everywhere. Most people without power. Lots of flooding.

Ivan is coming..... Hukilau in danger!!!

This things eye went right at Benzart. Am I the only Florida Ohana online?

I would count my blessings if I wasn't to drunk to count.

Benzart called and said to tell everyone he's fine. Minor damage, but other then that all's well. Cool, I hope everyone else is peachy.

Damn you Ivan, go south or north of Fla......please.

Glad to hear that everyone is coming out of this relatively unscathed.

I think it was Agnes I had to deal with as a kid. It went up the coast, never officialy made landfall . But I remember looking out of my parents window and seeing nothing but intra coastal lapping at the back wall of the house.

I thought we had been washed out to sea.

Hang in there, It is still a beautiful state. I hope its still there when I hit town.

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

I've got a 1/2 dozen cousins without power down in Florida, & a bunch more from another branch of the family being threatened by the storm up in the panhandle... So far everyone's fine, but there's another storm on the way? This's getting monotonous, in a terrifying way...

T

Well, that was not fun.

Lost power on noon Sunday and it hasn't come back yet. Looking forward to a shower where I'm not screaming like a small child (no hot water.)

Lost a whole fridge/freezer of food.

Big tree bough came crashing through my girlfriend's mom's window at 4am Monday, scaring us all poop-less.

A huge branch of the neighbor's oak tree took out our cable so I'm posting from work.

Thankfully, nobody got hurt and I've still got a roof over my head, even if it's un-air-conditioned at present.

I live in Ft Lauderdale as well. No damage other than landscaping stuff. Our power never went out either, luckily. I went outside yesterday for the first time in 3 days. The first thing we did was go out to eat to get over cabin fever. Everywhere we went was mobbed, everyone else had the same idea. I am glad everyone is safe, especially those who live farther north that got bashed.

M

I heard that the Mai-kai lost "alot of the thatching on the roof". Doubt they'd be able to replace it in two weeks before the Hukilau. How about a Spanish tile one for temporary?!? :)
anyone want to do a photoshop rendering??

On 2004-09-07 17:20, mrsmiley wrote:
I heard that the Mai-kai lost "alot of the thatching on the roof". Doubt they'd be able to replace it in two weeks before the Hukilau. How about a Spanish tile one for temporary?!? :)
anyone want to do a photoshop rendering??

Last time I was there the Mai Kai really didn't have much thatch to begin with.

C

hmmmmmmmm .... didn't see any missing thatch when I was there; a part of the drive-thru entry area got pulled up, but not anything major.

Now the photoshop rendering with terra-cotta tiles would probably qualify as some sort of sacrilege or something ... I wouldn't want to chance pissing off the tiki gods - most of California is built on a fault right?

Cheers!

My buddy in Miami Beach had a shopping cart carried alof by the monsoon winds descend from the sky to strike his car.

Luckily, the only damage was a dent in the driver side right from quarter panel.

It must have been the MaiKai mug he purchased and his belief in and spreading the tiki faith that made Lono protect him from more serious harm.

LONO.

During prayer to Lono, signs of the god are named thunder, lightening, earthquake, the dark cloud, the rainbow, rain, wind, whirlwinds that sweep the earth, waterspouts, the clustering clouds of heaven, and gushing springs on the mountains.

Lono brings on the rains and dispenses fertility.

http://univartists.com/hawaii/tiki.htm

M

On 2004-09-07 18:51, cybertiki wrote:
hmmmmmmmm .... didn't see any missing thatch when I was there; a part of the drive-thru entry area got pulled up, but not anything major.

Now the photoshop rendering with terra-cotta tiles would probably qualify as some sort of sacrilege or something ... I wouldn't want to chance pissing off the tiki gods - most of California is built on a fault right?

Cheers!

Glad to hear the thatch is fine--I am going to miss those Spanish tiles, though!! :)

C

On 2004-09-07 19:14, christiki295 wrote:

Lono brings on the rains and dispenses fertility.

http://univartists.com/hawaii/tiki.htm

Yeah ... I sorta noticed that; I mean what else are you going to do when the weather is that miserable, and all that's showing on the tube is non-stop-weather-updates?

Cheers!

P

clink*clink

glug glug glug

sluuuuuuurp

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

M

On 2004-09-07 22:51, pablus wrote:
<I mean what else are you going to do when the weather is that miserable>

clink*clink

glug glug glug

sluuuuuuurp

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

welcome back, Pablus

Someone send me a loaf of bread!!!

I can't find any bread. I can't find anything.

As of this morning Ivan is coming straight at me again. Straight up thru the bottom of Florida. I'm afraid to say that this could very well put a damper on Hukilau. If it stays on this path Ft. Lauderdale will feel it.

It's to much.

I need a sandwich.

Some one send me some bread.

That's it. I'm going to get some plywood and barricade the house. I should have gone ahead and let them conduct that extra-special criminal background check required for SOME people, so I could buy a home-defense style shotgun last week.
Damn.

The worst thing about hurricanes is you just know some looter is going to take off with all of your tiki mugs. Well, over my dead body you bastards.

I think I'm getting a little stressed by this foul weather.

Last night I had a dream about being in the beginning of a hurricane or a storm. The dark clouds came over, there was rain, then wind, then flooding, then LOTS of wind! I was outside with several hundred people trying to figure out what a hurricane is doing in the Pacific Northwest. I was really, really scared. I woke up being worried about all you TC members down in Florida. Flounder, I hope you come out ok, and I hope Ivan f*cks off.
Hope to see everyone safe and sound at Hukilau in 14 sleeps.

B

HELOOOO.
Benzart is OK. We made it thru the storm with little damage. Stil NO POWWER, Damn it.
No AC, No Water.
Juice should be back next week. I'm at a friends home for the evening and fixed their internet connection so I could say Hi. HI.
I'll be back sometime next week. Ivan looks loke he is going farther west (TAMPA?)
Can't take time to read the pages for now but Soon. I'm glad to be here and thanks for your concern. Bye

I land in Tampa on Saturday...
This was not a pleasure trip to begin with.
Now I get to sit in a hospital with my 83 year old father while the world blows away.

Frikkin great...

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

B

Hello again. Today is the 9th day we started without power and the FPL crews showed up around noon. The Juice is back at 8:30 Halleluja or however you spell it. My CPU burned a power supply and am on Sherries computer for tonight.
HAPPYHAPPYHAPPYHAPPY!!!!!

Welcome back Ben!

Aloha Ben!

B

Thanks Everyone, it's great to be back. Frances was not a deadly storm but a very persistant one that stood at our front door, battering it for Hours before finally crawling away in defeat. During the height of the storm it sounded like freight trains were rolling over our house. The worst was yet to come, however, as we lost power Before the storm Saturday morning just before noon and Finally had it back 9 days later. One or two days with no AC is bad and 4 or 5 would be terrible but 9 days? What were they thinking? What were WE Thinking when we decided to stay. No food. No water. No Ice. No AC. No laundry, dry clothes,no AC, no fridge, windows boarded up (waiting for Ivan to show).. Did I mention we had no AC? Four adults, 3 dogs (small) and 3 cats in a dark, SMELLY, Damp Airless house for 9 days??? Now comes the cleanup. No physical damage to the house, just missing screens from the patio and 200 feet of back yard privacy fence blown down. Branches, roof shingles, wood, trash and who-knows -what covers both front and back yards.
Yesterday we took down the 'plywood from the remaining covered windows. It will take a while to get everything out of the garage. It seems like that was the only place to hide things from Frances.My workspace in the garage is totally hidden. We are hot , bruised, battered and tired. Everyone in the house but m had a cold during the storm so I lucked out. I can't weait to get things back to normal so I can start work again.
I still have to rebuild my computer as the power supply and harddrive seem to be damaged from the Lightening that preceeded Francis. The cable Internet connection came up last night for 10 minutes. What a Tease. It is finally back this morning but is very sluggish andun steady. It has gone down 2 times since the start of this message.
Anyway THANKS Again to all. I'll answer your PM's as I can get to them.
Love ya'
Later...

What an ordeal, Ben. Glad ya made it through all that...an awful lot of cleaning up ahead. Wish I was there to help. Is there anything you might need??? Just let me/us know, we're here for ya!

B

NOW how 'bout out folks in North Florida Panhandle, Lower Alabama and Mississippi and Louisana we got TC'rs there 2 in Newawleans. you guys get out NOW PJ and othersIvan ain't no woosy Frances, he's a killer,KILLER I say, so go GO GGOOO as fast as you can away as far as you can this guy means business, Good luck. All you Gulf of Mexico TC'rs check in NOW so we know who and where you are
Good Luck

I'm formatting my computerthat has been repaired and should be back online tomorrow I Hope.
Goodnight.

Ivan the Terrible!!

Spoke to PJ yestarday. She was finishing "loading up" and hitting the road for higher ground. You know when you speak to someone on the phone and you could just "feel" their stress? I do feel for her. We're all thinking of you PJ...

D

I hope..hope..hope there isn't much destruction from Ivan. I'm worried about PJ, Suzywong and all of our other TC Ohana that are in this monsters path... :(

F

if its any indication, the gulf coast swell Ivan sent over wasn't all that impressive surf-wise. Maybe chest-high at best

We live in Tuscaloosa which is about 50 miles west of Birmingham and say about 150 miles north of the Gulf Coast. the University of Alabama (which we attend) is closed as of this afternoon until Monday. We have been watching the news all day and they say that Ivan is still going to be a cat. 2 hurricane when it hits here on Thursday afternoon. 30 mph sustained winds and gusts of 60-70 mph. We are probably going to have alot of tree damage here and possibly power outage between 3-7 days. Lets just hope there is not much structural damage here....espically to our Wiki Wiki Room. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for us!

K

My son is going to school at NAS Pensacola. They evacuated to Georgia Monday night. Looks like it could be pretty bad for that area.

PJ & Suzywong in New Orleans, best of luck to you guys.

B

Also hao bout Sam Gambino up inIvans path, How ya' doin Sam? You OK?
Purple Jade is OK. They had to leave home for 2 days but came home to minor plant damage and the Power ON Yeay. Anyone else outthere hurting from Ivan??

Watching some of the aftermath on the news.....wow! Hope all you and yours are O.K.

P

I think I speak for most Floridians when I say "NO MORE HURRICANES, PLEASE".

We're starting to suffer from hurricane fatigue. Particularly Bobby Bowden.

Here comes Jeanne!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA whwoowobhw HAhahahhahah hhaha oh

B

Flounder, I wouldn't laugh if I were you. The latest prediction shows going in south of jaxonville. They're gonna get you yet.
check this out:
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200411_5day.html
AND for you SoCal peeps, there is Javier heading your way. See it here:
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200413.html

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-09-17 11:18 ]

J
JTD posted on Fri, Sep 17, 2004 11:41 AM

Ben - I think that was Flounder's "They're coming to take me away" laugh.

I know many of you anti-Buffites wouldn't admit to patronizing the Flora-Bama Lounge out on Perdido Key, but it was a great beach bar. It's completely gone according to my brother-in-law.

Go away, Jeanne!

JTD

B

Too bad about the FloraBama lounge. I spent many dollars there many years back when I was working in the keys. I stumbled home Many times from there.

Jeane is now projected to stay out in the Atlantic as of right now. Stay away bitch!!

S

Tonight it's our turn :(

Tornadoes, Flooding, High winds, Lightning strikes setting fires, trees down and general misery all over VA and MD. Ivan the terrible!

Power's still on, net connections still up and we still have both ice and limes so, for us at least everything's ok so far!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28575-2004Sep17.html

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:51 ]

B

Haven't heard from Sam G yet, SAM you alright??
I hope it's no more than internet being down. I know your area had High winds and trees down. Good Luck Sam

F
foamy posted on Sun, Sep 19, 2004 7:19 AM

On 2004-09-17 20:35, Sabina wrote:

Tonight it's our turn :(

Tornadoes, Flooding, High winds, Lightning strikes setting fires, trees down and general misery all over VA and MD. Ivan the terrible!

We had three races to do here this weekend. Friday night the jib halyard snapped along with the spinnaker topping lift (and those lines are meant to take pressure!) and one broach. Saturday we raced a 41' hotrod from Annapolis to Oxford and had 50+ knots of wind on several occaisions, steady 30 - 40 knots all day. Lots of waves over the deck, lots of broaches (on other boats) and lots of busted gear and sails (again on other boats). We ended up retiring because we couldn't keep the the nose of the boat out of the water (never even put the jib up) and we had a few newbies on board and we needed everyone on the rail (that particular boat needs twelve able-bodied crew in high winds). Jibes were accompanied by crossed fingers and lots of luck. It was however, a hell of a ride while it lasted. Fifty boats out of two hundred finished. The boat we had planned to race today would not have made it in this wind without repair, so we're sitting this one out. I'm dissappointed.

[ Edited by: foamy on 2004-09-19 07:23 ]

B

Talking sailing brings back strong memories and urges.. I used to have a Ted Hood Off Shore 47or Harbour 47 it was officially called. Had some great times on that Lady.

On 2004-09-19 06:50, Benzart wrote:
Haven't heard from Sam G yet, SAM you alright??
I hope it's no more than internet being down. I know your area had High winds and trees down. Good Luck Sam

Thanks, Ben and everyone. We just got our power back. I boarded up the crib and we high-tailed it north. I am about 25 miles from the Gulf and had no damage whatsoever except for a piece of siding that I had to snap back into place - but that's not even damage. I thank God, because the eye passed over our house. My neighbors say it was dead-calm for about an hour, and then, the wind blew like crazy again. I feel so sorry for everyone east of the eye. We were supposed to be there, but then it jogged a little east, so they got the very worst.

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-09-20 08:30 ]

Just when we Floridian's thought the weather couldn't be meaner, now we have another bloody Hurricane to contend with, Jeanne! And the weekend of the Hukilau too! I couldn't go this year, but my best wishes to all who attend. You may be staying a little longer than you planned!

B

Well here we go again. Jeanne's Eye is about 50 miles due east of Port Saint Lucie and heading west. We will get the eye again, this time of a more powerful hurricane. Bring it on bitch!
Good luck to all the other Florida folkes as she is expected to come ashore and go inland a bit and turn north traveling up thru the whole State. (Shudder!!)At least we still have power and internet

J
JTD posted on Sat, Sep 25, 2004 5:19 PM

Ben,
Hold on tight, bro. Sorry we didn't meet you yesterday at the Huklilau. We bugged at 10 last night to drive home ahead the rush (which, of course, didn't materialize).
Keep those chisels dry. :wink:

JTD

Pages: 1 2 3 4 148 replies