Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Best Wishes to Florida Ohana...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 148 replies

It's getting pretty crazy around here.

No gas, water, wood and most importantly no patience!!! People are freaking out and losing control

Oh what was thaaaa

I
ino posted on Wed, Sep 1, 2004 4:45 PM

My grandmother's house in Port Charlotte was destroyed in the last hurricane. Maybe this one will get my childhood home in North Miami Beach and my grandparents house in Tamarac to finish off the rest of my childhood memories of Florida! :(

Our thoughts are with our friends in the Florida area. Sounds like the next tempest will hit the Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale area.

Worst comes to worst, perhaps y'all can jump on the Tikki Beach ship that will host the thursday Hukilau cruise and ride this one out...

warm regards,,,

Moi

Man what the hell is going on, the hurricane isn't even here yet and I lost my electric for 20 minutes already.

Oh I think I heard something.

My thoughts of Hukilau are fading with each weather report...

M

On 2004-09-01 16:45, ino wrote:
My grandmother's house in Port Charlotte was destroyed in the last hurricane. Maybe this one will get my childhood home in North Miami Beach and my grandparents house in Tamarac to finish off the rest of my childhood memories of Florida! :(

sorry about the Port Charlotte place, I hope the rest of your family is spared!

B

Yeah. Our electric goes outmif you Breathe on it.
Francis is heading for a Vero Beach Zero point.hurricane force winds extend still 80 miles from the center. The center will hit about 30 miles north of me. I'm Calm
Ill check in when it gets bad if I have power. Goodluck the rest of you Florida TCr's.

C

Yeah ... here we go again. Publix, Lowes, and Home Depot paying the local stations to whip everyone into a frenzy so that they can have a record month. Then they raise the price of plywood by 20%, and bottled water that normally goes 98 cents a bottle is selling for $1.29 ... gotta love Florida.

My boss calls me in a panic ... his storm shutters don't fit. I work for one of the largest companies on the flipping planet, we have about eleven major projects about to go over the deep end, I don't even have time to mix myself more than one Mai-Tai before noon, and his shutters don't fit.

Sadly, he knows that I have a cutter that'll do the job, and he also knows that he DOESN'T know how to use it. This man should never touch a hammer let alone a torch ... so, I go over and cut his shutters down for him. Then the in-laws call. Steve has a thick Hungarian accent so you have to imagine:

Steve: Are you ready?
me: For what?
Steve: For the Storm - the Hurricane, there's going to be a Hurricane!
me: No, that was a couple of weeks ago, you're watching the VCR again.
Steve: No, it's a Hell big one coming straight for us!
me: For me?
Steve: It's serious! Do you have all the things you need to have?
me: I've got rum, peanut butter, crackers, and ... oh yeah, two Guiness left. You think I need to buy more Guiness?
Steve: OK, you're OK.
me: Wanna come over and drink a Guiness with me?
Steve: NO! Hell NO! I gotta get ready! I need water?
me: What's wrong with the tap?

... anyway you get the idea. Scare the hell out of everyone. I'm not in any way saying that these storms aren't dangerous. I lost my home to Andrew while hiding under a mattress in the laundry room. I also shipwrecked in another one. Not fun. However, the immediate requirements are easily met, and if you're really concerned you have the option of hopping in the car tomorrow and driving up to Tampa or Tallahassee.

With my luck, after writing this, I'll end up with the first active volcano in Florida erupting unexpectedly in the middle of my back yard. Oh well, time for a weenie roast!

Cheers!

[ Edited by: cybertiki on 2004-09-01 18:58 ]

Cyber, I can't believe what you are saying!!!

Don't under estimate this storm, you definitely need more Guiness!!!!

What was tha

C

yeah ... you right. I think I'm gonna need at least a case. I got two cases of rum, so one case of Guiness sounds about square.

In checking my hurricane preparedness, I found a O'Doul's in the bottom of the fridge under a mouldy lettuce. I'm like WTF? I KNOW I didn't buy that. In the pantry I also found another jar of peanut butter (smooth), and two packages of Teriaki Beef Jerky. Now I got all major food groups covered. Rum, Beer, Peanut Butter, and Beef Jerkey. I'm ready for the storm. BRING 'EM ON!

Cheers!

P
pablus posted on Wed, Sep 1, 2004 7:38 PM

cyber - if you need a place to stay...
I'm just sayin'.

C

Thanks for the offer bro ... can I bring my rum collection with me?

Seriously, I'm still thinking this thing is going to swing north based on what I've seen in the past. I flew home from North Carolina one year, landed in Fort Meyers and rushed across the state because FLL was closed, and the storm took a sharp right just as it was approaching the coast. I was bummed because I ended up sleeping in some fleabag motel in Charlotte the night before because I missed the last flight of the night on the way back. Bottom line is that they don't know where it's going to hit until it hits. You batten down the hatches, pack in some water and peanut butter, grab a few extra batteries, fill the tank with gas, say a prayer to the ghods, and wait for it to pass. The way people are acting, you'd think they'd never done this drill before. That's what annoys me. One should never panic (except in the case of parasitic bot fly larvae infection - another thrilling adventure that doesn't bear telling over dinner).

Anyway, I don't think this thing is going to land here - but if I were Flounder, I'd be concerned.

Cheers Flounder!

M

Good luck guys...hope this b#8%$ goes to sea but it doesn't look good. RR I'm holeing up with a case of vodka let me know you need help or company. Good luck Ben and Flounder and anyone else in the path

K
Kono posted on Wed, Sep 1, 2004 8:11 PM

I've decided it's time to visit the folks up North. Me and the dog are hopping in the truck early Friday morning and jumping ship. Spending all day tomorrow wrapping up my electronics, art, tikis etc in plastic; whatever I don't take with me.

Charley was a pissant compared to this one. The actual hurricane strength part of Charley was about 30 miles wide and it was traveling at about 35 miles per hour. Thus one hour of hurricane bullshit if the eye passes over you (as it did us in Orlando). This sunuvabitch has a hurricane strength section currently around 170 miles wide and it's moving about 14 miles per hour. So...if you're in the path of the eye of this hurricane (as Orlando is once again expected to be) you can expect at least a good 12 hours of semi-hell. I need to move back to Tampa. Bleh. Last time Orlando got hit was I think 1960. Now two in three weeks. Yay.

I'm really not worried about getting injured or anything, I don't think Orlando will get winds that strong but jeezus, 40mph winds Friday during the day, 50mph winds Friday night and the hurricane isn't projected to pass here until Sunday morning at 2:00am. All day Saturday the winds and rain will get stronger and stronger then Sunday you get the backside of it! That's just too much window rattling for me. I just don't need that crap. I hope the roof and the windows stay intact to protect all my tiki goods.

Hopefully when Frances meets the coast she starts losing strength rapidly. If I was you coastal guys and gals, I'd go to Pablus' house. At least get a free drink. I'll be going offline tomorrow afternoon and will be back next Wednesday or when the electricity returns whichever comes first. Good luck everyone.

Cybertiki, I've always blown these things off as well, and I'd probably feel quite a bit better in Lauderdale but this do look bad for us here. It's a BIG fat ass storm and it's lumbering this way. I was told that it's not as likely to veer north because the jet stream has started to recede north for the winter. I wish it'd give us a little encore.

M

It's funny as hell Kono (to me anyway), me and a few friends went on a long road trip in June and a on going joke was Orlando hurricanes because a friend mentioned she was worried just having moved there. Anyway we joked about Orlando Hurricanes for days and then it gets hit with one! I always thought I was safe a few miles inland but damn that Charlie said otherwise. I don't blame you one bit for getting the heck out. My poor sister out in Cape Coral is freaking out worse than me.

C

yep. Like I said, these things are dangerous - no question. 12 hours of Hell is an accurate description ... on the other hand, when you're huddled under a mattress with two beautiful women and everyone thinks they're about to die, you can have some really interesting conversations.

Some serious advice; if you're leaving the house, wrap your most valuable items (including your hard drives) in a nice snug blanket and put them in your dishwasher. It's heavy, anchored in place, keeps water in, and also keeps water out (it saved a lot of my stuff in Andrew). Duct tape on the windows is BS - use the duct tape to tape together anything and everything outside of your house that can't otherwise be tied down. If you have inconsiderate neighbors, who won't pick up the crap in their yard that is likely to end up coming thru your windows (or the side of your house) buy a big fat heavy chain and padlock, and tie their stuff to the nearest tree, fence, automobile ... whatever. Lock the chain with the padlock, and throw out the key (I did this too). Before you leave the house, fill your tub with water, pack towels on the bottoms of the windows and doors to absorb as much water as possible, turn off water/gas/electricity at your main switch/valve, lock your door, and get out.

See ... I DO know what to do - I'm just sick of all the hype that goes on each time they pull the drill. Having seen the worst that can happen in natural disasters (meaning loss of life), I tend to worry less about property and "stuff" than I do about personal safety. I have said that if it looks like I'm in a zone that's going to take a direct hit, I'll pack the family in the car and get out. This is the advice I'd also give to others. We'll know by Friday, so I still have roughly a day and a half to make a decision ... so, no rush yet.

Cheers!

M

I hear you about the hype cybertiki, but then again during that last storm alot of people got caught completely off gaurd by Charlie, the way it can turn so quickly is what saved my Sister in Cape Coral but screwed those in Punta Gorda. I was in contact with her the whole time, she was unable to leave by the time they said it was going her way...but then it turned north and spared her. Anyway I got me a nice hole and am not worried but if you or any Ft Lauderdale (more specifically Pompano) folks need a hand last minute boarding up or something check my profile I left my phone number temporarly in my profile under "occupation" Aloha

[ Edited by: mcdougall on 2004-09-01 20:59 ]

K
Kono posted on Wed, Sep 1, 2004 9:02 PM

On 2004-09-01 13:11, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Damn, they just said that the eye of Charlie was 6 miles wide. The eye of Frances is 35 miles wide.

That's how large this thing is!!!

Also where Charlie lasted a couple hours, Frances may last up to 12 hours.

Goto go......

So...basically...Hurricane Charley would, for the most part, fit within the eye of Frances. I don't like this f*cker Frances.

Wow, the calm of the eye could be over two hours long.

Hey, at least we will not have any water restrictions for quite some time. Flounder, and all the rest of you folks on the Atlantic coast, I'd seriously think about unassing the area. I really hope that events make me out to be just a histrionic puss wuss and I'll be happy to take the ribbing if Frances turns into a dud. :)

C

Thanks for the kind offer McDougal! I think we're pretty well covered here, and even though we're out west, I'm on a pretty well built up pad, so flooding shouldn't be an issue. My windows are mostly old casement type, so the glass is less likely to flex/break than some of the newer places, and my sliders all face west. Only one tree that bugs me, but he's coming down shortly anyway - going to have him carved into a tiki. We'll probably do the same, just batten down and ride it out as long as it heads slightly north (Palm Beach and North). Otherwise, I'm literally 2 minutes from I-75 west where it takes off across the Everglades.

So, at best, a day off work. At worst, I get to go up and drink with Pablus. I could do worse I suppose!!!

Cheers!

K
Kono posted on Wed, Sep 1, 2004 9:21 PM

On 2004-09-01 20:42, cybertiki wrote:
... on the other hand, when you're huddled under a mattress with two beautiful women and everyone thinks they're about to die, you can have some really interesting conversations.

Well, maybe you guys want to rethink going to Pablus' home and instead see if cybertiki's got a little space beneath the mattress. :wink:

Thanks for the tips cybertiki. I hope it's overkill but I'm going to follow them as far as I can. My bedroom window is most vulnerable to wind (I live in an apt so I can't board the windows) so I'm thinking about placing my mattress against the window and buttressing it with my dresser. You don't think tape on the windows can prevent some shattering inwards if the window cracks? Is tape on the windows complete BS?

On another forum I frequent, a member that experienced Hurricane Andrew said that boarding the windows and using hurricane shutters works great until the roof comes off. Then the windows break from the inside! Youch.

B

Well I'vew done all I can today. I'm goin to bed to dream about Hawaii and Nice weather.I'll be back tomorrow

JEEZ, a horrifying wind.....get out of there my friends. If Hukilau doesn't happen because of this, it's not the worst thing that could happen. Be safe. My prayers are with you all.

C

I think that was me posting that the windows break from the inside when the roof comes off, and yes, it's true.

The tape is complete BS ... if the windows break, you end up cleaning up tape AND glass - all in a zillion little pieces. Just one more bit of junk when your house looks like it got run thru a blender. Then, if the hurricane DOESN'T hit, you have to clean that sticky crap off the windows. Just not worth the effort either way.

The mattress over the window sounds OK if that's the most vulnerable window.

If I have company, I'm going to need a bigger mattress next time around! It protected us from most of the stuff that fell down when the roof went up, but the fiberglass insulation was the biggest pain in the ass. It was everywhere, on everyone, and everything. I spent a month laundering my underwear before I determined that it just wasn't coming out - ever.

One last thing I forgot to mention on my suggestions. If you turn off your electricity (highly advisable), make sure that you empty your fridge. Otherwise you may return home to find that the police have broken down your door to see what sort of dead body was being stored in your apartment. My in-laws did this, and you would be amazed by what a pork roast starts to smell like after about four days in a hot freezer ... the fridge was a total loss - that smell just doesn't come out.

Anyway, best luck to all, and don't forget to thank the ghods or the fates if this thing misses us!

Cheers!

MB

We could be on "Helen" or "James" by the time the coolest event of the year happens....HUKILAU!
As long as we can fly in....we're cool.
For some odd reason, not really caring about flying out :lol:
But seriously, take care Floridians. Duck and drink.
Mrs. Boo

My heart goes out...hope Bre'elle and Tristan, Paul, Flounder, Benzart, the Mai Kai crew, Cyber and family, and all Our Florida family...I was working reservations this morning and the hotel booked solid for 337 rooms up here by 11 AM. I hope everyone can breathe easy and the path will change. Good luck, my good friends.

J
JonPez posted on Thu, Sep 2, 2004 4:36 AM

Here we go again!
Just got cleaned up from Charley and now comes Frances.
Kinda worried about this one. Old home (well, for Florida at least), lots of remaining trees, debris strewn all around from the last storm, AND the plywood is too small to cover our windows completely... Yeesh.
My wife and pets will most likely be staying at her parent's concrete block house for the durations, but I'm going to hang tight here with a bottle of rum, some candles and a game of Strip Solitaire.
I want to be here in case something happens to the house (and tiki room, of course), hopefully stem the tide of damage in case a leak happens or a tree goes down in the wrong place...
People around here are spinning out of control on this one. I REALLY hope it is a dud.
Good luck to all the other Florida Ohana, Flounder, Bree and Tristan and all others! Keep in touch if you need anything!! I have a chainsaw and I'm not afraid to use it (just afraid to carve with it)...
Wish us luck!

PI

Due to the roof damage from Charley, I'm told that I must evacuate my apartment by tomorrow. We were going to do the Atlanta thing, but all the rooms are booked and the logistics are a nightmare. Sooo, heading to my boyfriend's place and riding this out. Let's hope this one makes a last minute turn and keeps us safe! I'm leaving work early today to pack up important stuff in the apartment, get the dog, and head out.

Good luck everyone!

M

Pomaika i,

Best of luck to you and everyone in Florida. All of TC is saying their prayers for you.

I'm already in Orlando. I saw this as an excuss to party for the next four days. That and I wasn't about to stay in my house with four oak trees looming over top.

I put wood on the windows, put my printers, computer and mugs in the safest spot then relized that the place I was putting my valuables may be the only place the hurricane may hit. So I gave up and bought a 12 pack of Old Milwaukee.

What ever happens, happens! I'm going to party tell It comes down to the time where I have to clean up or rebuild or just drive back home because Frances moved northward.

I just saw an empty bag fly by the window, I have to go.....

Stay safe Scott, I wish you the best and hope that this thing goes away real fast with minimal damage.

P
pablus posted on Thu, Sep 2, 2004 8:10 PM

All are welcome.
You'll have to put up with Hawai'ian music and Exotica. Uke playing and rum drinks.
And you'll have to put up with the Amber Love Goddess's siamese piece of cat.

I snore too, if you weren't hip to Swanky abandoning ship at the TIki Torch night in July.

Just stocked up with some Ron Zacapa Centenario, 7 year old Flor De Cana, Cruzan SIngle Barrell - etc.

Had to stack all my mugs inside though and stack my bamboo stools against the plate glass.

But those can be moved right back in place.

Don't hesitate to call.
813 - 843 - 5349.

If I don't answer leave a message and I do check them consistently.

I have room for 12 - 15 when you count beds and couches. Plenty more floor space. I'm not safe but I'm no hurricane.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2004-09-02 20:32 ]

Some minor weakening tonight as it pases over the Bahamas... and a minor drift towrds the north... a lot could happen still... storm track is still looking like Melbourne / Cape Canaveral...

Keep your fingers crossed...

Freakin Frances Freakin Bitch Mutha Freaker!! Walk the Plank!!! Sharkfood!! You freaking worhtless piece of air!!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

As long as the airport is open, Mrs, Boo and I will be there with Bells on!! Hukilau WILL go on NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

p.s. hey Frances. Go "fock" with some one else! Be-atch!

T

On 2004-09-02 22:50, RevBambooBen wrote:
Freakin Frances Freakin Bitch Mutha Freaker!! Walk the Plank!!! Sharkfood!! You freaking worhtless piece of air!!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

As long as the airport is open, Mrs, Boo and I will be there with Bells on!! Hukilau WILL go on NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

p.s. hey Frances. Go "fock" with some one else! Be-atch!

YEAH! What he said!

B

Yeah, c'mon Frances show us what a pansystorm you ar. We're ready, do what you will we;ll be back and you won't.
My Internet just came back after being out for 12 hours. Thats gonna hurt the worst,no internet. I'm sure the AC will be gone with the power along with the water and Cable TV. but Internet down? That sucks, Frances blows
Later if isp permits

Encountered some hurricane damage last night. Drove over to where Flounder and Meg were staying to drink a few Old Milwaukees and picked up a big ass nail in my tire. Flounder put my dounut spare on since he was already drunk and didn't mind getting dirty. The tire actually stayed on too. Thanks bro.

T

Oh, joy - the last track I saw takes the storm's path literally over my house. Grrrrrreat.

S

May the great tiki gods protect all of you Hukilau-ers, and may we see you all soon!

B

Its EARLY yet, but things are looking up a bit. Winda at 105 mph, definately better than 145mph. Of course things could change as the storm Slowly creeps across the warm Gulf Stream at 4 miles per hour. It as also looking VERY Disorganized, but this could be temporary and I'm not going to say much more about it to Jinx us all. FLOUNDER, your Studio may live. Hopefully the Tki Gods and Ancient carver spirits are looking out for us hopehopehope.
We are still geting bands of wind and rain blowing thru and they are getting more intence. the rain is almosthorizontal when it comes. It looks like Port Saint Lucie will be the landfall, not good for Ft Pierce and northern cities..
I'll keep you posted and THANKS for your prayers and hopes. OXOXOXOXOX

T

I hope my Florida bruddahs make it out, but on the flipside, man oh man, your hurricane is giving the West coast mac'in 10 ft surf.

I was in green-room heaven! Surf or Die!

B

Looks like Frances will hit Port Saint Lucie,,,OH wait now they say Melborne and,,, OH WAIT, NOW it is heading for Stuart, brother will they make up their mind,,OH Wait, palm Beach, batten down its hitting you instead. well that just can't be because now it is hitting Jupiteror now Port Saint Lucie again. I think those guys need some sleep, they sure aren't giving us any. Goodnight all. Would someone try to keep track of where Frances is going?

C

So far things here in Fort Lauderdale aren't too bad. We have roughly 40 mph sustained winds and slightly higher gusts as the Storm Feeder Bands roll thru. Not really too bad considering what it could have been. Everything is closed and probably will be until Sunday.

I'm still guessing that Hobe Sound/Jupiter is going to be the point of impact.

To my friends up the coast, my best wishes, and don't hesitate to call me after the storm if you need anything. 954-880-0406

Cheers!

We were watching a bunch of cops going after some people on the street last night on the corner of h1a and Los Olas (?). Elbo Room web cam. http://www.elboroom.com Looked pretyy vacant. Take care all! We'll see you's soon.

C

OK, here we are, the storm is about 70 miles off Palm Beach, and it just stops and sits there ... out here west of Fort Lauderdale we've got sustained winds probably 45-50 mph, and we're gusting up to about 70. Power is on and off (I'm actually restarting my router midway thru this message). Lost a few shingles, nothing major yet, just ugly.

I think this will not be too bad, down here - unless of course it decides not to move on within several hours.

Anyway, limes are holding out well, and I got a huge bucket-o-chili that should tide us over for a week or so if the power stays off (of course sitting in a hot un-air conditioned house after eating chili is probably not advisable).

I'll update later if the power stays on long enuf!

Cheers!

hang in there cybertiki......and good luck!!!!

It's about 8 pm here, Saturday night. We've had a few bands come through late this afternoon, dumping some rain and knocking a few branches down. The sky is turning a freakish pink color as I'm sitting here.
Orlando is supposed to start getting the worst of it around 2 am and the winds will keep blowing hard well into Sunday morning. I'm going to unplug my electronics (other than the Television) after this post and try to get back online tomorrow afternoon, if we have power.
That's a huge IF because 3,000 homes have already lost power in my county which is about 30 miles from the coast and the storm hasn't even hit land yet.
If you haven't guessed by now, the storm is hitting the old Outrigger Restaurant in Jensen Beach right between the eyes. It will be a miracle if it isn't under water already.
Good night and good luck everyone.
KG

Almost 10 pm Sunday night.... Still getting lots of wind and rain, but power stayed on the whole time. No damage to our place, just lots of yard debris and plenty of water in the retention pond behind the house. Hope others did as well.
KG

C

Hang in there Geoff; we're still having a bit of wind, but it's definately tapering off. It's 10PM and we're just getting in from the Mai-Kai. Joelle, Christina and I had a great stage-side seat for the show. Fantastic as always ... I started in the Molokai with a Sidewinder's Fang, and followed on with some Mara Amu's and then Tahitian Coffee. Oh yeah ... I had kava before heading down there, so it was a REALLY great evening!!!!

Talked to Kern, and he said again that Mai-Kai is fine, just some very minor stuff in the gardens to fix up and that's it. They weren't very busy this evening because most folks are still huddled at home trying to figure out from the BS reporting on the TV whether or not it is safe to come out yet. It's fine out there, no worse at this point than a bad thunderstorm on a summer afternoon.

Anyway, hang in there, and I hope to see you guys real soon!

Cheers!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 148 replies