Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 292 replies

T

On 2008-07-25 12:38, teaKEY wrote:

Nothing new Going through the Fly, I found old pics (smaller now) of painted mugs
I did and only posted on Marketplace. Forgot I did one of those so it was a surprise.

Baseman inspired

Zombie Love. Would totally be the mug for this years Oasis

The green smoker I did a year or two ago. I love the look of clay before drying out.

I removed a photo, looks better that way_________________

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2008-07-25 13:01 ]

T

Even now the look of the photos from that site BLOW

T

Because everything else pictured on this page has sold I decided why not my beloved FOM Gorilla mug. No longer one of the original members of the FOM, this mug could find a home with another FOM or mug collector looking for something different to set their collection apart.

Listed HERE and is going until next Sunday around this time (9:17 mine or 6:17 yours)

Also another speacil mug going on sale tomorrow. Will post listing in the marketplace tomorrow.

Thanks for looking

T

Here is the other mug that is going on the chopping block tonight. I'm thinking if it will let me, do a six day Ebay so it ends of Sunday with the other.

Some pics and some that you will only see here.

Raw

I call this glaze Bacon

A link to come tonight (about 9:00 here 6:oo there)

You Like?

Yes I do like. What effect would the kilning have on cowrie shells?

T

On 2008-08-05 10:23, hodadhank wrote:
Yes I do like. What effect would the kilning have on cowrie shells?

Thanks Man, and your

ULTRATANG at The Light

is just craZy. How you ever got an idea to do something like that is mind stretching. THe craftsmanship is top Notch and half of tiki's with a penis look awkward but that one there is bitchin. :blush:

So your question on Shells in a kiln? It comes down to melting point. Glazes are just powders that melt with the high heat. I put watch gears under a translucent glaze before and they turned to blobs of melted metal. Best to glue on after.

I have heard on people taking BB gun pellets and placing them to melt all over.

Aloha!!

Ultratang is awesome!!! I envy ceramic craftspeople like yourself!!! Great work!

T

I have a new plain jane bar and wanted to dress it up a bit. Was thinking of a tapa cloth for the inside back of the shelves in the bar.

Really like the tapa in Frankie's Tiki Room. The design is wonderful but what to paint it on. Maybe old wallpaper?

And another quick question. That nice matting that is weaved, who takes the time to do that?

The best thing to paint Tapa designs on would be plain Tapa!
Simply row to polynesia,find a paperMulberry tree,remove some of the bark and pound/pound/pound it with a rock flattening it while actually pounding the fibres into a big piece.....

Here's some stuff from Wikipedia:

Fabrication

As Tonga is the country where tapa is still a part of daily life, the following description is given for that country. Although on other islands the overall process is about the same, there still might be several smaller or larger differences.

In Tonga hiapo is the name given to the paper-mulberry tree. People have bunches of them growing in a corner of their plantations. They are cut and brought home where the first task is to strip the bark from the trees. The strips are about hand wide and person long. The wood so left over is named mokofute. The bark consists of 2 layers. In the next step the outer bark is to be scraped or split off from the inner bark. This work is called haʻalo. The outerbark is discarded, the innerbark, named tutu or loututu, is left over. It is first dried in the sun before being soaked.
A merry break from beating the tapa in Nukuʻalofa

After this, the bark is beaten on a wooden tutua anvil using wooden mallets called ike. In the beating the bark is made thinner and spread out to a width of about 25 cm. This phase of the work is called tutu (or tutua). The mallets are flat on one side and have coarse and fine grooves on the other sides. First the coarse sides are used, and towards the end of the work the flat side (tā-tuʻa). The continuous "thonk" beats of the tapa mallet is still a normal sound in the Tongan villages. If several women work together they can make a concert out of it. In that case there might be one who tukipotu, beats the end of the tutua to set the rhythm.

When the strips are thin enough, several strips are taken together and beaten together into a large sheet. Some starch from the kumala, or manioke may be rubbed on places which are unwilling to stick. This part of the work is called ʻopoʻopo, the glue is called tou and the resulting sheet of tapa is called fetaʻaki. It then consists of two layers of strips in perpendicular direction, the upper one called lauʻolunga and the lower one laulalo. A knife or sharp shell named mutu is used to trim the edges, and the pieces fallen off in this process are called papanaki. When the white fetaʻaki is smoked brown, it is called sala.

Often the women of a whole village work together on a huge sheet of tapa. A donation to the church or their chief at an important occasion. Such sheets are about 3 meters wide and 15, or 30, or sometimes even 60 meters long. The 15 meter pieces are called launima (meaning: five-sheet, because the sheet is 5 squares), and the 30 meter pieces are called lautefuhi.

or you could go to an Art Supply store and check out all their papers
a papyrus might be inexpensive for your purposes...
Good Luck Teaks!

T

Hey LLTiki I went to Wiki right after I posted here. I found it to be very interesting. I always heard it was bark, but it didn't make to much sense just thinking of the rough bark I tend to think of. The pictures on some site (maybe Wikipedia )were great. A guy pulling the bark with what looks to be his his teeth. Wish I could see some real tapa. If I do use some old wallpaper from my parent's basement I was thinking to paste together strips like the real thing.

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Aug 7, 2009 9:20 AM

So I bought my first home this year cause the price was really good. And now I have a place to call my own. Actually I have a second place to really call my own and that is the Basement. Really nice basement too cause it is a finish one and a good size to boot.

My old tiki gathering spot was high above in the kitchen in an apartment. Yuck. Not too many things I could fit into my little one bedroom place. But I did manage to however mass an army on tiki mugs. I think I have at least 150 now. Plus a number of smaller tiki artwork in the C note range liike favorite painting.

My new bar is just starting to take some shape and will probably be able to invite some family and friends down for a drink by the end of the summer.

Probably the size of the entire previous apartment

Shot of just some of the goods

my old free school record player

This bar was already there. I really like the way it looks. in the corner on the pic you can see a very old cabinet. My parent got it and kept it in basement storage since they were my age. It came from my grandpas. I'm glad I got this free case cause just found one like it for more than $500. It had some water damage and I put a bottle of wood glue into it. I installed lights, matting, and some sand. More pics soon.

With the lights on

Now really collecting records Exotica but that is hard to do on a shoe string budget in Michigan. Anyone with extra copies of Les Baxter, send them my way please.

P.s. starting out and there are no white walls. Looks like I'm a head of the game.

Congrats on the Home purchase teaKs!
looks like you'll get that room finished lickety split!
looks like there's enough room on them walls for a
Big LLT piece! :)

just a suggestion....

T

Thanks LLt

I saw a commercial years back and it said to a home owner the most precious metal they have is the KEY to their front door.

"looks like there's enough room on them walls for a
Big LLT piece!:)",LLT

Did you see the LLT art in there??
You have to look really close.
It is probably one of the smaller pieces you did.

Its got its own wall at the moment.

and I will buy more when I can. But the most logical step was to
buy the wall that is now hangs on instead of just renting it.

ST

That is a great space!! Wish we had houses like that around here.

Congrats...look forward to your transformation.

T

Last post:
I installed lights, matting, and some sand. More pics soon.

With the lights on

Anyone with extra copies of Les Baxter, send them my way please.

Here is the update:

So I visited my Grandparents and wanted to show them the finished pictures of the cabinet that was theirs at one time. (they weren't has passionate about it as I am)) They wanted to see more house pics.

Panning out

Black sand. Just like the black sand in Maui from our honeymoon

Sitting on a mound of black sand. I wanted that Munk for its volcanic like glaze.

The bottom shelf is all black sand. The idea came from my now second favorite but once first favorite Munk Tank by the Artist Hodadhank. Got Munk?

Back to the,
Anyone with extra copies of Les Baxter, send them my way please.

I have to say that the Aloha that came from the shores of Tiki Joe's ocean was just awesome. He read my post and sent me a little care package with a CD copy of Les Baxter. Sounds like his CD exist just to pass the great vibes around the world. Get some love with his album and then pass the love on

A part of the proceeds of the CD will go to help our oceans and beaches
( http://www.surfrider.org ) and to help musicians fighting cancer
( http://www.carlwilsonfoundation.org )

Nicely done Teaks!

Hey, did someone say blacksandz? :wink:

Lookin' sharp teaKEY!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Oct 31, 2009 9:47 AM

Nice.

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Nov 3, 2009 7:00 AM

Hey thanks for the nice words. Yeah my KUSTOM TIKI cabinet was a labor of love and what really makes it, is the BLACKSANDZ and the tiki mugs that were once filled with GROG.

What I really like about the wood cabinet with glass doors is the case feels like a boutique store cabinet and the mugs are displayed jewelry. You have the semi enclosed space with the wood with the protective feeling of the glass. That old glass is the best part cause its curved. Then the three under cabinet lights. Would only need one light had the shelves been glass but would lose the solid feel and some wood grain.

I will post some more pics of the other parts of the room this week.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 3, 2009 7:58 AM

On 2009-11-03 07:00, teaKEY wrote:
and the tiki mugs that were once filled with GROG.

GROG never touch your Teaky Mugs. GROG have GROG own mugs.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-11-03 07:59 ]

Great display! Watch out that your cleaning lady does not get into it! :)

T

A comment from the guy that wrote the book is top honors, thanks Sven.

Older photo

Probably the size of the entire previous apartment

So I really like what Boutiki did on his basement bar and trust his actions as the be all end all of sorts. Before he laid down all that beautiful aged bamboo, he painted his walls black. I plan to do bamboo in the future (where the black is painted) but before then, I like the black paint verses what use to be there and will enjoy that for a while. Change is good or at least different.

So the indent in the room where the built-in lays all got some sort of black treatment. Full lengh blonde behind the bar and chair rail height the rest. I feel thinking about these steps over time while trying out the layout, gives a clearer idea of how you really want things. I used a laser to mark the tape lines and it came out wonderful.

and the thread title is a bar or two and here is the other women.

There is a story with everything I have but this is those Mai Kai Target bamboo bar. I came in a super heavy box and was a Christmas gift like three years ago. The greatest Christmas ever (GOT OTHER TIKI ITEMS TOO)This box sat un open all that time at my parents house. A Christmas gift just sitting there unopened for all that time. The lights too were still in their box.

The best part is that most tiki collectors have those vintage looking bar items and those FUN tiki bar items, so I can display them both cause I have the best of both worlds. OH Yeah. Forgot to tell ya that the wife put this bar together!!!

*And just got a call that Poker Night is at my house next Friday.

Laying Low

[ Edited by: teakey 2009-11-15 15:57 ]

T

My teaKEY thread hit the big 50,000 glances. Thanks to all that looked it over.

T

So the bar is coming along slowly but surely. I use to always be on the look out for smaller items like small tiki statues and tiki mugs. Even if I had the room for large, I wasn't finding it anyways. Now with focusing on the bigger picture, the bar, I'm looking for good tiki lighting. Tiki Lamps aren't anything you see around here in a store and they aren't as common on Ebay. I've inquired about some from the couple of TC makers but the prices are high for my income.
Now I'm on the look out for supplies that I can use to be apart of a tiki whole. AAnd those supplies are everywhere if the time and place are right. Well looking for "tiki" that isn't even tiki like rope from a hardware store and a glass ball that could be a round vase really open up the hunt.
Just now I found even more threads on netted glass float lamps but I posted my start at What are the hanging lights called???

I love the way it turned out. I pawed through a lot of saved up pictures of lamps to see what a finished one could look like. I think I like TikiSkips the best cause I could see how he finished the tops. And I have to say that the way he does it is very TikiSkip.

its ok if the ropes are white on this one but I want browner next time

A clear nitelight bulb through the sliver wash red globe. Even little bubbles in there a bit

My first attempt and I love it. The ropes turn dark against the lite glass. All this time of putting it off. So then you get done, your ready for your next one but thats only if you got the balls to do it. And starting a week ago I do. Will post shortly. Green ones for the next

A

I really like that long draping net- nicely done!

T

Thanks for the encouraging words, amybean.

So that was 50 feet of rope for the red globe and I bought 100 of a thicker rope and then thought to buy a 100 more. It gets expensive. I measured the red globe and my new pair of green globes seem to be twice as big. So twice the glass and then switched from a six string starting piont to a twelve. So I figured twice and twice but really wanted more knots too. Denser. I saw the lenght of the rope and got scared so I didn't go it the amount of knots as planned. I'm about half way through and think that I would have been ok with the same lenght rope the next time.

T

Not bad for your first light!
Looks like you have one to two feet too much rope.
BUT it's better to have too much than too little.
What you need to do is take notes.
Write down the size of your globe.
Then write down how many runners up the side and how long they are.
Size of the ring on the bottom.
Plus the over all size when done.
When you get done you can make changes to the sizes and that will be your guide.
You can save a ton of rope this way.

T

Good call skip. There is way too much rope there and the rope isn't cheapo. It is and it isn't.

SOmething else that adds up is the price of cut wood boards by the foot. I want to do a HUGE painting and really did want to try making the canvas myself. Its nice to know all the steps involved from start to finish. Not that I will probably make my own paint from scratch any time soon. So the story goes that if you want a cheap canvas you have to make it yourself and that is what I just finished up.

It is going to be a 50ish period abstract. Its not tiki but I think it would still be liked by many TCers. Based off one of my favorite artist, Jack. I marked with tape a 102" by 43" on the wall but it was really too big so I cut back a foot from the top and a half on the sides.

And two weeks ago I visited the Mai Kai.
I was shocked to see it in its city surrounding.
I even got to help paint a little part it too :) :) :)

A tiki lamp wonderland

T

Better late then never but just started in on a painting for my Dad. Its a 12*16 size roughly.

Going for a Van Gogh feel, we'll see.

Nice Job on the lamps! I am playing with the idea of making some for my show tent. Would love to have some by the time Hukilau rolls around.

The painting looks interesting, great start!...some Van Gogh-like swirls in the background would be nice!

T

Thanks ZeroStreet

Didn't end up going with the swirls but like how its turning out. I knew Van Gogh was a master painter but I finding out just how good. Making those marks in wet paint is somethings a no go. Not sure how he did it unless he let parts dry but not likely.

Here is a close up on His work

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Jan 3, 2011 6:47 AM

On 2010-12-29 08:08, teaKEY wrote:
A oil painting for my Dad. Its a 12*16 size roughly.

first pic

most current

About the third painting I've done and the first oil painting so I had no clue what to expect. When I would place a new dab of painting (different color) on top of the wet paint before it, it would sometimes pull the old color off and not apply the new color. I would really like to take some painting classes now. I understand Van Gogh much more now and even though I'm happy with the level of painting I got, I also know how far off I am from a painter like Vincent. I think this painting isn't much like his style but he sure did help me to produce this style. His is more like the face has different colored hairs of paint around the face and so many colors that shouldn't be there but are present to make the total picture work.

T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDDcQOKqcLY&feature=gp-n-o&google_comment_id=z13mzdap5ruzdlwzj04ch3tb5kbrhtrovqw0k

A quick throw-up video for a pipe community contest. People commnutate with Video Responses (VRs) all day everyday and gift each other all the time every week.

T

I'm Back!

Well I haven't been truly gone. I see a lot of my favorite Artist on Facebook. But my Likes spin in Cycles with new stuff snowballed in here and there. Tiki has always been there just not always in the fore front lately. Now that its Summer and painting time, time to light up the tiki touches and pour some rum drink (which has been going on).

Super happy to be getting my teaKEY thread to amazing view numbers. feeling honored and I see that TC is growing leaps.

This (future) painting is something I've wanted for at least Five+ years and a favorite image since I received The Book of Tiki ten years ago. Sven has good taste :D I wanted to paint this square image and I primed up a giant cardboard from a bed headboard. Its not the perfect archival surface but starting with a killer image, the surface didn't matter greatly. I wanted a Big surface and a cheap surface and big isn't usually cheap.
Couple years ago, my wife talked me into buying the last two LARGE canvases from a Michael's Craft store Closeout. They are 4ft x 4ft (square) "artist version" I love the artist type canvas cause its the better quality with the thicker sides which don't need framing. (less chance to wrap as well) I wanted cheap and I got these $100 canvas for $10 bucks. Can't believe i even questioned getting these. Even if I screw up, I'm not out much. I just prefer the square shapes the least but in this case, its the perfect Shape.

Stay Tuned. (Hints: Book of Tiki, square image, and the biggest clue- three colors)

You bet I'll stay tuned. Glad you are posting again. Wendy

Good to see you again teaKEY!!!!!

T

So I'VE been unmotivated to work on TIKI stuff but my dad hasn't. His art is so different from mine because it is probably void of many rules that govern what I do.

So we put a mug (wedding reception gift to him) on the shelf to show it not empty but he built this one for himself. He has a little tiki hut aka Florida trailer (nice one though) where they have been decorating it with "primitive" art. African stuff.

and he said a tiki tie-in is that the skull trapped in the bamboo is from the Philippines from his service (long long time ago)

It's really fun to see you back on here, missed you. You have a rockin dad. Keep him at it. That looks good. Wendy

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Nov 9, 2015 1:06 PM

Thanks for all the encouragement DanlovesTiki

Boom, my thread has Hit 100,000 views. Thats a Amazing!! I remember years and years back telling my local college art teacher I had 40,000 people stop by and look at my stuff. He couldn't believe how many people back then.

Still thinking about making a production tiki mug. Its been over a ten year life goal. Six some years years ago, thought up many designs. Over the years, I've been watching other people create mugs from ideas I've had back then. Like the first Sepik Drum mugs, Solomon Island mugs and the likes. I still have one I want to do after all this time. Currently fostering two babies and have zero time to create, let alone think about myself. Hopefully I can make my dreams a reality. I will.

So A couple of years ago, my Dad bought me a cool vintage Oahu map. And He did more than just that. I will post it soon. And got a couple other things from him, from years back. *And will replace some of the broke linked pictures. Stay Tuned,

I love old style maps. My Bali Hai Dining Room, has a map theme. Exciting teaKEY.

T

It is very cold today in Michigan. May 15th and there were snow flurries in the air; had to cover the vegetable garden. My mother sent this picture over to me today of my Seamus inspired Moai Fountain wearing a living Davy Crockett hat to stay warm. Man, Seamus had some exciting posts (a long time ago).

Hey everybody, I became a father last week of a two year old boy!! I'll be looking for a kids fedora real soon.

20+10 =30yo

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2016-05-15 07:20 ]

CONGRATULATIONS!! Stay warm. We have full blown snow over here near Kazoo!

T

Having a great Tuesday so far

I always wanted one of those hats. Now when I'm at Disney and try them on they are much too small. It looks wonderful on your tiki.

Isn't it a bummer that the photos rotate. I've had to remember to never turn my camera when photographing for my thread.

Good to have to back on "other crafts". Cheers, Wendy

T

I got chickens. Super happy that I got them. I wanted them for sometime. I always like the idea that there's chickens roaming around Key West, at least that's what I heard and I went with my favorite coop style after looking online an A-frame seems like it's easy to build and I like it because you can constantly move your chickens. this is actually called a chicken tractor or chicken arc

You need to join the Swap. Make something by the end of this month and have some fun. Good to see you back here. Wendy

T

So I noticed many of the great artist that first started I think Pulled from the Book of Tiki. So I decided when Tiki Modern was coming out I thought I’m going to page through the book, find the coolest stuff and just do that. And one of the COOLEST images was the Thurston Knudson vinyl album cover. It was a perfect image. The few colors of fire and coal, the drums, flames, text and hands. It was pure form.

I bought my canvas probably shortly after that came out from a going out of business craft store it was like about 100 bucks retail and I think I paid 10 I’ve been sitting on it ever cents waiting to paint and I just I guess I’m lazy. Until now. Trying some stuff. I find even if you do it slightly off still looks great because the original is amazing

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 292 replies