Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2005 - Details Announced!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies

Don't forget the home bar tour on Sunday night, which includes a bus ride to four destinations (plus drive-by detours to some cool Tiki spots around town) lots of food, likker, bands, and a unique souvenir (different from all other Hukilau merchandise).

Good times!

[ Edited by: tikibars 2005-09-29 10:24 ]

Does anyone know approximately how much the Hukilau scorpion bowls will cost?

T

I know EXACTLY how much they will cost!

Lemme make sure with the boss lady that it's OK to post the price here...

This time next week I'll be checking into our room and getting our passes and WOW, it's almost here! See you all there! Can't wait.

Trader Rick,

Judging from your smiling pic and show of enthusiasm, I'd say you're one of the people to be hanging with at Hukilau this year! We'll be keeping a look-out for ya'!

Sending this off today for the Hukilau Auction. From the good ol' folks over here at Bamboo Ben. The print is 20x30. Carved into the Boo is MAI KAI (left) and HUKILAU 04'(right). The piece is titled" Hurricane Party".

.....and boy what a party it was!

Ben, this is awesome!

Anyone who wants this lil' Bamboo Ben masterpiece needs to be at the Hukilau auction, which will take place at 8:20 PM on Friday, October 7 in the Bahia Mar ballroom, right before Waitiki and Robert Drasnin perform.

There is also a 'silent auction' for smaller items which you can look at and bid on all day long, starting as soon as the doors open at 11 AM that morning.

That's three hours shy of one week from right now.

We're all gonna miss you at Hukilau this year, Ben & Vicki! Maybe you'll change your mind at the last minute and decide to come, that would be Zazz!

On 2005-09-30 10:48, tikigreg wrote:
We're all gonna miss you at Hukilau this year, Ben & Vicki! Maybe you'll change your mind at the last minute and decide to come, that would be Zazz!

Hey Mahalos Greg! We're gonna miss all of you this year too! We're slammed with tiki work so that justifies our absence. We'll see you next year though. Won't miss the Mai Kai's 50th for nuttin! Y'al have a fun time now!!! Yee Haw!!

Ben,

Mahalo nui loa - you are amazing!! I have my version of this photo that you sent me on my wall with your custom made mug shelving you made me. Here's a pic for all to see.

You guys will definitely be missed this year!! Wish I could give you a big hug for all you've done for me!

Mahalos Kiliki.

I'm starting to get over my fear of shipping. Maybe a working website soon with a semi custom line. Is Swanky gonna set up his live cam at this years HUKI?? Come on Swanky!

Ben... you'll be missed! I was looking forward to seeing you again this year...

One of my favorite memories of last year was walking up the deck of the Bahaia Cabana Thursday night bewildered from 12 hours of driving... and you hand me a beer! You rule.

Don't work too hard... we'll drink enough to make up for what you're missing! :)

There will be no live cam at this years Hukilau Ben, whew - I wish I could pull that off. Who knows, I'll ask some of the film crews that are going to be there if that's a possibility. The Robert Drasnin performance alone! Ok, now you've got me started - I'll check into this right away, like I've got nothing else to do!

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Oct 1, 2005 7:15 AM

Actually, if the wifi in the ballroom/hotel is like last year, I was planning on doing a live webcam. I can put it up on Swank Pad's tiki bar cam or perhaps use one of the instant messenger feeds or something. I wish I had one of those sweet lightweight notebooks so I could carry it around all over the place and be live walking around the ballroom, and not static. Maybe I can rig up a shoulder bag to use with the laptop I have. Anyone have a better/lighter computer they are bringing? I'll bring a Cd with the software I use and the settings and I can run it on anything.

Update: I will run the tiki bar cam from Hukilau as much as possible. I hope to be able to refresh at about every 5 seconds. That's the best I can hope for. That, or just get on YahooIM with Bamboo Ben and run full speed with sound, only for him!

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky 2005-10-02 08:52 ]

Neptune Tiki and I are chomping at the bit ....waiting for the Hukilau!!!!! It will be here in 6 days. To think....next week at this time we will be at the one and only Mai Kai!!!! YIPEE!!!!!

A note of interest here:

Today's (Oct. 2) New York Times includes an article, in the Travel Section (Section 5) on Fort Lauderdale. Although it doesn't mention the Mai Kai or either of our hotels it does offer some interesting information. Not only that but... the only other thing on the page is an ad for Air Tahiti Nui! Hmmmmmmmmm...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-10-03 08:50 ]

T

Hukilau entertainment!

Here's a sneak preview of what to expect, performance-wise, this weekend!

Remember - there's a whole lot more going on too!

THURSDAY

Doors open 7:00

7:45
King Kukulele introduces Charles Phoenix

8:00 to 9:00
Charles Phoenix slide show

9:15
(surprise) - 30 to 45 minutes

10:00
Slip and the Spinouts

11:00
Haole Kats

Sometime after 11:45, Haole Kats may invite King K, and others onto stage with ukuleles. Bring yours!

FRIDAY

doors open at 11:00 AM
DJ Jeff Chenault spins

Haole Kats will do some impromptu sets throughout afternoon.

Yma Sumac and Bunny Yeager sign autographs from noon until 5:00 PM.

Doors close at 5:00.

Doors reopen at 7:00

7:20
Show begins, several surprises abound!

7:35
TongoHiti with Dames Aflame.

8:20
Hukilau auction!

8:50
Waitiki perform original music

9:30
Robert Drasnin

10:30
Waitiki performs short ukulele set.

11:00
King Kukulele performs a ukulele set.

11:30
Intoxicators

SATURDAY

Doors open 10:00

Intoxicators perform during afternoon.
DJ Del Villareal spins

Yma Sumac and Bunny Yeager sign autographs from 11:00 AM until 3:00 PM.

Swap meet: noon (at tables throughout room)

Room will close at 4:00 PM.

Mai Kai:

Tongo Hiti in Molokiai lounge during both happy hours.

First happy hour is at 4:00

Second happy hour is at 7:00

Main stage MC for both shows: King Kukulele

11:00 PM
Waitiki on main stage doing Martin Denny tribute.

Intoxicators in Samoa room after first show concludes (about 8:00), until about 9:45.
Haole Kats in Samoa room after Intoxicators, until about 11:00.

SUNDAY

Haole Kats play during the home bar tour Sunday evening.
James will host the bus tour, giving guests a “Tiki Road Trip”; King K will also entertain

[ Edited by: tikibars 2005-10-03 10:42 ]

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Oct 3, 2005 4:56 PM

What about the Safari Thatch tour? Saturday at 11am?

M

I remember last year at a room party at about 12:30 am we ALL we starving and couldn;t find any food open nearby! I finally had to be a hero and drive to 7-11 and get chips and dip to satisfy the starving masses!
When I flew out on that Monday I came across and article on Ernie's BBq which is open until 2 am Sun-Thurs and 3AM on Fri and Sat!!! If only we had known then!!!
Ernie's is a short drive at 1843 S. Federal Hwy in Ft Lauderdale. 954-523-8636. ZAZZ!!!!
other food stuff at;
http://www.thehukilau.com/2005/rareeats.html

and

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4167&forum=4&hilite=hukilau%20restaurant

ps-is Klinger gonna show up???

Gosh, I sure hope so! The Klinger appearance that is.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2005-10-03 20:15 ]

TG

Did the Car Show get cancelled?

Swanky - If you can look at my previous post about the Safari Thatch Tour you'll see that I updated it. No need to worry! You'll get your chance to see - they have really participated this year for a stellar presentation!!

T

On 2005-10-03 17:18, mrsmiley wrote:
I remember last year at a room party at about 12:30 am we ALL we starving and couldn;t find any food open nearby! I finally had to be a hero and drive to 7-11 and get chips and dip to satisfy the starving masses!

We have handled that issue this year - the hotel will have an appetiser bar set up near the ballroom, with small portions of finger foods available at reasonable prices for all of your post-mai tai snakin' needs.

We got yer back!

Give it up for JT and Kiliki!

All bases covered!

Stoked!

Check it out. If you live in South Florida, pick up today's Sun-Sentinel. Frnt page of the Lifestyle section features the Hukilau. Here's the article.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/lifestyle/sfl-lihukilau4oct04,0,4861617.story?coll=sfla-features-headlines

FA

On 2005-10-04 07:15, AlohaStation wrote:
Check it out. If you live in South Florida, pick up today's Sun-Sentinel. Frnt page of the Lifestyle section features the Hukilau. Here's the article.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/lifestyle/sfl-lihukilau4oct04,0,4861617.story?coll=sfla-features-headlines

Good article, mahalo for posting. But why do idiot writers ALWAYS feel it needed to add the word tacky?

M

On 2005-10-03 20:38, tikibars wrote:

On 2005-10-03 17:18, mrsmiley wrote:

We have handled that issue this year - the hotel will have an appetiser bar set up near the ballroom, with small portions of finger foods available at reasonable prices for all of your post-mai tai snakin' needs.

We got yer back!

The Bahia Cabana folks are hungry!!! :)

[ Edited by: traderjim6781 2006-08-10 21:26 ]

Everyones passes will be at the event - just follow the registration schedule and you can't go wrong.

D

where is the registration schedule?

The registration schedule is on the Hukilau website under schedule. Look for Thursday and Friday. Passes and daily tickets will be available up until 11:00pm nightly.

see you all soon!!

M

Aloha,
I hope you all like the Hukilau bowl and the shot set! The glaze on the lower, tiered rim of the 4-tone bowl is indeed compromised of real gold as are the lashings over the ivory tusks! Enjoy it!
Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather 2005-10-04 22:01 ]

TG

Well it looks like we will be driving down pulling an enclosed trailer through a Tropical Storm tomorrow morning on I-95 from Jacksonville to Hukilau. Not even a storm of this magitude can stop us now!!!!!!!!

Everyone please be careful who will be on the road. The weather is pretty nasty on the east coast of Florida for now, but it is moving north and should clear out of South Florida late Friday hopefully......

Tiki G.

Just for the record everyone, and to relieve you of any stress - it's sunny and beautiful here in Lauderdale today. We are expecting showers this weekend but as we all know that live here in Florida, the showers come and go and judging from the rainbow that we saw yesterday following the afternoon rainfall, it's all good.

Looking forward to seeing everyone starting tomorrow!

As a courtesy this year, the Hukilau table will have access to Paypal for those that would like to pay for Hukilau merchandise this weekend and save your cash for other vendors. As long as the wireless connection is good then we'll be up and running.

DL

On 2005-10-04 19:59, smogbreather wrote:
Aloha,
I hope you all like the Hukilau bowl and the shot set! The glaze on the lower, tiered rim of the 4-tone bowl is indeed compromised of real gold as are the lashings over the ivory tusks! Enjoy it!
Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather 2005-10-04 22:01 ]

Holden,
Any chance you can post some pics of the bowl and shot set?

Mahalo!
Lauren

We will certainly try to do that at some point today!!

On 2005-10-05 07:04, tiki_kiliki wrote:
As a courtesy this year, the Hukilau table will have access to Paypal for those that would like to pay for Hukilau merchandise this weekend and save your cash for other vendors.

Oooh, that's just evil! Especially since I limit my cash on person.

Have fun at Hukilau everyone!

May your weekend be full of all the tiki mugs you desire, and may you be hangover- and hurricane-free!

I am definitely going to go to the next one!

I am guessing that this will have no impact on us.....

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1%2Bshtml/143914.shtml?3day?large

J
Jawa posted on Thu, Oct 6, 2005 9:34 AM

No, but there is another system near Cuba that is heading uup to Florida. Development is not expected, but I don't think we'll see much sun down at the Mai Kai.

D

somebody left a brown bag in the ft lauderdale airport

my number was on a post it note and they called me,
if anyone wants more info or thinks this might be theirs please email me
[email protected]

Aloha everyone!

Am bumping this from '05 to remind you that The Hukilau would like to be your friend!!!

Gotta MySpace page? Send on over your friend request, check out the latest Hukilau blog and hear samples of musicians to be showcased at Hukialu '07 -- plus check links to our special guests' MySpace pages, too, and learn a little more before heading on down to Lauderdale in June. The MySpace page will be updated often, so keep an eye out!

Visit: http://www.myspace.com/hukilau

Mahalo!
Orchid Wahine
Hukilau Organizer

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies