Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hewey's stuff - new stuff 4 Oct page 18

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 265 replies

H

Here is some art I have been playing around with. It is done with pastels. I have only been playing around for a couple of weeks. All art has been done on paper or black cardboard, and all is A4 in size.

Let me know what you think! Constructive advice as well. Thanks in advance.

Everyone laughs at me because I am different. I laugh at everyone else because they are all the same.

[ Edited by: hewey 2009-03-08 01:08 ]

[ Edited by: hewey 2009-10-04 00:39 ]

[ Edited by: hewey 2009-10-04 00:42 ]

H

Here is some more

K

Hewey

these look great...i like how you feel your way through your color schemes...they work so well...mostly polarized into one temperate spectrum...monochrome nearly

i don't use pastel at ALL but i know how challenging it is to control because i use charcoal when i go to life drawing and they are both dry sedimentray based mediums...to make the color REALLY pop though you should grind your values HARD...don't be affraid to go TOO dark or light...it's all about contrast and if you DO go too far you can always compensate...use your finger or a smudger to really pound your darks or lights...if you use textured paper you'll really benefit...GO FOR IT!!! this stuff shows great great promise!

i hope you hit us with some more!

T

Looks good. You seem to have a natural flow with your art... Keep going..

Great going, hewey. We don't see much pastel around here! Nice expressions on these guys too.

Nice! I agree with Sam, not enough pastel art. I love the color schemes too, and the shading on the second guy down. Very cool.

B

Hewey, those look kind of cool. the last one in blue is definately the the best. Concentrate on lines like that and you will have it Made.

Nice job, I like number one he has a great attitude and of course green is my favorite color. I've worked in pastel and know how hard it is to work with. You can also work with layers of color with pastel much like paint.

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 11, 2005 9:09 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! I used pastels for the simple reason that my girl had them left over from high school art, and I thought I would give it a go.

I need to clarify that the last blue one was outlined in blue pen, before being coloured with the pastels. This is how i got the detail in it which would be otherwise impossible. All the others are just pastels though.

I am open to selling them, or to swap for other art or mugs or whatever... Make me an offer either way. I'm not looking to get rich, so dont offer me too much :). Im just having a bit of fun.

I am open to the idea of doing custom work for folks too. Ill have a go, and show you the results. If you dont like it - dont buy it! No harm. Again, PM to discuss it.

Hewey, that last one was the best in my book. I like the perspective, and the line art really sharpened it up. I know nothing of pastels, I just know I liked it. Keep drawing, follow your tiki muse where you will, but keep posting plenty o' pix!

A-A

Hewey,

Lookin good! Love the free-ness of them. I would like to see you get into some building up of colors or even some oil pastels...

Keep it up!

Pastels!?! man I could never get the hang of those things. My colored hands always looked better than the art.
The fire one is my favorite I dig the shadows and mystery, but I like the color of the green one and the composition of the last blue one. Cool man,
Chongolio

S
SES posted on Sat, May 14, 2005 6:22 AM

Looking good! I used to do pastel portraits. It's a tricky medium. I decided to take the class after posing as the model in a few. Not the life drawing class model :wink:

T

Hewey!!
I like the direction a lot!! A few things I have learned about pastels is that the paper is half the battle!!

There was this really great pastel Artist named Sheila Rynman that did this pastel workshop for some of the Imagineers few years back, She was known for her beautiful wild life pastel paintings and how she captured lightand detail..yet loose and fresh (not her, her art)

She used to describe the paper as having all these tiny pits and valleys in them that varies depending on the paper you use.

Since patels are a build up of powder really, she would suggest to find a "toothier" suface to work onto get the best results. Once all the little valleys are filled with packed pastel powder,the piece begins to look messy and you find you can't seem to get the color to come off the stick anyore. Pastel paper is expensive so she would also do little practice pastel paintings on sheets of fine sandpaper..like 400 to 600 ot wet dry paper.

She was amazing how she could control the things..they were loose yet looked full of light and energy and detail. Anyway, your tikis are a great subject for this.

There are technigues where you can do color washes to tint the paper in the beginning by using turpentine or rubbing alchohol to "smear around" a base layer of pastel color with a brush. It dryes in minutes and the "powder" of the pastel permeates deep into the paper grain. This preserves the "tooth" of the paper for more detail to be built up with the sticks.

Also, begin to recognize harder from softer pastels. If you really start getting into this, you will want to use harder pastels in the beginning and softer ones as you build layers. But these are for the really layerd types of paintings that look very rich and impressionistic. Hard pastels are brands like "nu-pastel""Rembrant" is a med to soft pastel. Then there are the french ones like Senillie (can't spell it. They are like painting with a stick of butter.

Last of all..many of the best pastel artists I know say NEVER use fixative on the final result. It deadens the colors and destroys the latered complexity. They say to carefully matt the drawing and put it into a frame where the glass does not touch the surface.

I hope this is helpul Just have fun!! Just wanted to share this because it's frustating enough just to make an image as it is in your mind. Pointers on controling the medium will give you a much easier path to great results!! GOOD LUCk!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: THOR's on 2005-05-14 07:12 ]

I just got a schooling on pastels. Great info Thor's.

You're off to a good start Hewey, and are one of the few pastel artists, if any, I've seen on TC. One thing that's helped me out, in any medium, is to check out the work of sucessful artists. You can learn a lot about expressing what's in your head by seeing how others do it.

Keep 'em coming.

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 14, 2005 5:26 PM

Thanks for the tips Thor. Ive been cheap and just using the pastels i got and computer paper...I might have to spend a bit of cash and play around some more.

Here is the latest works:

If anyone knows of any good art websites with pastel art I would love to see them.

Again, thanks everyone for the encouragement and feedback.

Cool work, hewey, and great tips too, Thor. I'd like to tackle pastels, so the tips really help.

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 14, 2005 7:06 PM

I just googled pastel art...

I don't know whether to feel inspired or intimidated! There is stuff out there that looks like photos. At least it gives me an idea of what is acheivable with pastels.

Thor - do you know what an oil pastel is? Is it any different to a normal pastel? I have come across it on a few sites.

Sam - have a go! Love your work and would love to see it in a different medium

T

Well Hewey..an oil pastel is very different..and a different approach in some ways. Basically...think of an oil pastel as a bunch of colored powder mixed with linseed oil or similar oil. As apposed to "dry pastels" it goes on sorta slippery. It's more like painting in a way.
Some artists do the tinting I mentioned earlier with oil pastels. They take a brush..dip it in a solvent like turpentine or alcohol or paint thinner...and can blend and smear the oil pastel on the paper. Then they can build more detail on top with the sticks of oil pastel.

It's experimentation... I personally don't care for them. I lose control fast and it feels like I am slipping on my butt on an ice rink as far as the feel of the slick medium on the paper.

Lemme know what you discover!! I have a few regular pastel sketches I did if you want me to post them. They are total fantasy things..I just used my imagination..and went for it.

Good luck!!!!! ~~~~THOR

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 14, 2005 9:25 PM

Love to see em thor!

T

k.. I will shoot a few digital pics when I am out sunning my buns and planting more tomatoe plants in the yard!! I will post tomorrow eve or Monday in mid Morning when I am back in the studio!!

What I will show ya is a build up of pastels on what's called "canson paper" Its like a colored paper..that's heavy..and like 18" by 24" It's of a bioluminescent grotto..very surreal..with strange glowing forms flying about and a cascade of rich glowing water...with twisted trees and rock.

It was a study I was doing when I was designing "Journey to the Center of the Earth" ride for Tokyo Disney Sea. If you ever go on the ride..you will see the feel in reality. Drawing and painting is just a way I have always communicated an idea..an art direction tool. I often would draw on plywood and cement with whatever I could find for the other artists and crew when we were doing early special effects testing and scene mock ups for the ride. Pastels were an experiment for me..they were a fast way to show light and mood to the other team members. without the hassle of painting and water and brushes.

For you Hewey..just do it to have a blast!!

Those are great . It would make a great piece to have several all grouped together on a wall.
Thanks for sharing. Next time I am out I may have to get some pastels and try it.

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 15, 2005 5:24 PM

Here be the latest:

Rodeotiki, I want to do a series that line up, yet that are individual pieces in their own right. Still thinking about what exactly I'll do for that. Have a go!

H

A sketch. Possible title would be "If I won a million dollers". A4 paper, done with a felt tip. Pitty the detail is lost in the overall pic, but didnt want it too big.

Detail

Detail

T

You are having WAAAAY too much fun Hewey!!! Hey!! I just posted a thread in "beyond Tiki" on how to attack pastels with tone paper per your interest and Paul's at Pariarts.

It's a fast way to get light and form...not the only way to use pastels at all..just a method that works for me. Love your new stuff!!

Hey Hewey!

Cool stuff, I definately dig the pastels you've done, I gotta say the red one with the black background and flames is my fave. All the colors you have there give a great mood. Keep it up!

Thor, awesome feedback man. It makes me want to do pastels.

[ Edited by: Coconut KC on 2005-05-16 14:36 ]

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 17, 2005 7:49 AM

Too much fun? Nah, you can't have too much fun! (although you might not agree the next morning!)

Got inspiration from the good old "Book of Tiki". Check pages 121 & 160 to see what i mean.

I dig those last two. The colors just pop off of the darker paper. Cool man.

Hewey,

I like those on the black paper.

Unlike Thor, I love oil pastels and dislike chalk pastels...I will post some oil pastel work of mine ( and maybe some chalk)in the next few days...

Keep experimenting!

B

Hewey, I dunno, it looks to me like you ARE having Way too much fun. Not sure thats allowed here??Yes, I just looked it up and it says to have as much fun as you want. Look how your work blossoms when you are having ful. I Like it!

T

Colors look good and your skill is increasing!

T

HEWEY!! I totally see a jump in your work as well!! It gets fsr more dimensional...and more and more luminous!! Keep going my friend!

Experiment with "stroke direction" in a couple. Since much of this technique shows the evidence of the stroke of the pastel it's self, it allows you to use that as an advatage to show 3D.

Try using the stroke as a "contour line". In other words..try to make the strokes in some "follow the form". Pen and ink artists do this. When they cross hatch the ink lines to shade a form their lines "curl" around the form..this shows dimension and perspective. I did this in the branches of the trees in the pastel thread I posted.

Again, not to refer to my style as the one way one aproaches pastels in the least..you are developing your own great style, Hewey. These are just basic drawing tricks I am sharing that have worked through the centuries for artist.

Hewey:

and if i won a million dollars, i'd be hanging out at your tiki bar!

B

Also I Love the Woody and the VW Bus/pickup. Know where I can find one of those? Perfect for haulin tikis around.

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 18, 2005 6:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys! Keeps a guy goin!

The tiki bar is kinda small, but out the back is a rum garden (no bloody beer garden here). It features a pool, spa, and heaps of tropical plants, as well as heaps of carvings by all the prominent TCers. There is a hut out the back for carving in and set up for tutorials, and one hut for the artists as well. These share their own tiki bar. Did I mention everything is supplied at "cost" price as it is a non-profit organisation, and any profits that may arrise are donated to poorer artists to pay for wood to carve and canvas to paint.
:)

Yeh I want a woody, but way out of my price range. My mechanic recently offered me a Split-screen kombi panel van, lowered, matt black, updated running gear etc but she was too expensive :( I hope to get a bay-window kombi panel van at the start of next year. Give it a "patina" paint job, lower it etc. Oh yeh, big Hewey's Tiki Bar signage on the sides - just for the hell of it. Got some cool ideas for the interior too, but I will save those for another time. Depends on how far I gotta drive to work if I get this or not. Keep you posted!

Anyway, enough of my dreamin. Here is the latest. Did a traditional Maori style Tiki. But there was no detail on him so I gave him some tats to liven hime up. Would have worked better with a more traditional tat design I think. Looks like a bad ass frog!

your forms are looking more and more solid...keep it up!

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 18, 2005 8:07 PM

Something like this eh Benz?

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 19, 2005 8:15 AM

Lettering isn't quite there yet.

Looking gooooood, Hewey. The tiki delivery service rocks!

Make sure you deliver one of those to my house! Great work.

T

Hewey, those prints are looking fun. Its fun to see how fast that you can produce a picture too. The wagon is awesome. I drive a woody and am looking for a surfboard to hang out the back just like that.
I certainly remember the top picture from the BOT but don't remember the second. I do like the second one alike cause how big the Moai is.

Wow, I just saw page three. MAn I love the green guy. He looks like he is glowing. And the pinstriping/.

Benzart, I see the craved face in your signature so much, I just picture that being you.

On 2005-05-19 09:08, teaKEY wrote:

Benzart, I see the craved face in your signature so much, I just picture that being you.

That's what happens when you carve to much. You begin to resemble your work. You should have seen him when all he did was dolphins and indians. :wink:

H
hewey posted on Fri, May 20, 2005 6:02 AM

Coach & Aaron - Thanks for the feedback and compliments guys!

teaKEY - love to see some pics of that woody! My dream ride is a Model A woody wagon done in a nostalgia style, with a surf & tiki twist of course!

The second Moai is from the section on Aku Aku style tikis covered in the BoT. The original picture looks like a book cover or something, and has "Aku Aku" on it, and actually has little people running around the base (having a tribal fight or something?).

Thanks for the feedback and compliments. I plan on doing a tiki with some symmetrical hot rod style pinstriping sometime.

Finkdaddy - The tiki delivery service is on its way!

B

Hewey, that maori tiki is great, perfect for the non traditional. Had you tried to do the traditional markings, it would have looked bad if it weren't perfect. Everybody always tries that and your version is WAY Cool.
The tiki bus is Perfect. Just put "Benzarts" on the side and bring it on over. WOW.

Hewey, your stuff sucks! Give it up already ;P

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 4:50 AM

Don't listen to her - she's CRAZY!!

That a way to show your man some support Hewey's Gurl. I like your style.

Hewey- your stuff is looking better all the time. Keep it up. By the way, sweet Gurl.

http://www.samgambino.com

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 265 replies