Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hewey's stuff - new stuff 4 Oct page 18

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 265 replies

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2007 10:28 PM

Paipo – Thanks mate. It’s funny, it is kinda similar to my pastel stuff, but with the background and the properties of the paint it looks so much better. I’ll be doing more in this style for sure I think.

Sam – Thanks too :D The main reason I used one shot is because I had some lying around :lol: The problem is I don’t have any green or brown at all, so it can be hard painting tiki stuff! Not sure if I will continue painting with the one shot or not at this stage.

Tang couple is looking great, looks vintage!
It reminds me of pastelle the way the texture looks. Didja drybrush: ie use a brush with little paint on it and drag it across the canvas texture?
Anyways sweet piece.

ST

On 2007-09-04 16:51, hewey wrote:
It’s starting to warm up a little down here, so now I can go outside and not freeze my ass off painting or carving outside at night after work (I don’t have somewhere I can paint inside, so I do everything under the awning out the back.)

Hi Hewey!
Out here, I've been using the heat as an excuse not to drag my ass outside and work for the last three days. :wink: Plus, doesn't it get dark at 4:30 where you are?
Reading that post got me all scared of winter!
Enjoy your summer, Hewey(when it finally arrives, that is) You earned it!
Does this mean it's almost "play in the box because the heat makes us crazy" time?

Buzzy Out!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 4:30 AM

Sneaky - Yeh the vintage look is cool. And yep, it's drybrushed. :D

Buzzy - Doesn't quite get dark at 4:30, more 5:30ish. Yeh winter sucks, and it approaches! :( But I can see the light coming :D Give it 6 months and I'll be bitching about the heat :lol:

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 9, 2007 5:21 AM

Here's a (slightly) better pic of the Tangaroan couple.

And here's my next piece in progress, again stretched canvas. The woodgrain was a happy accident with copper metallic paint and a crappy brush :D Going to be a hei tiki, in the style I did the Tangaroan couple in.

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-09-09 05:23 ]

Hei Hewey!
We got Pepsi Max here finally! Thought of you when I saw it at the store.
Got any progress on the Hei Tiki yet?

I mean, other than the wood looking background...

Buzzy Out!

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask:

After doing the background wash, how do you rough sketch the figure out? It seems that it would be tough to get it right the first time, and it wouold be hard to recreate the background if you laid it out slightly off. Do you use pencil on it? Do you do a bunch of sketches to establish the composition, or just go to it out of what you see in your head?

Thank you for your time
Buzzy

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 12, 2007 9:16 PM

Hey Buzzy! Good to know you got Pepsi Max. Did you get Zaya some? No progress on the hei tiki yet, had lots of other things take my time (like old cars, and my brothers wedding in a couple of days). As far as sketching out - I'm still working out what I'me doing with that. :lol: For the couple I just freehanded it and hoped it came out okay. The only reference pic I had was the South Pacific map in the BoT opening spread, with a fingernail size Tangaroan. Not sure what I'll do with the hei tiki. Probably sketch out the design in the size I want, and have that directly next to the canvas as I paint, and hope for the best! I could sketch it with a pinstriping pencil (rubs off with water), but I think it would lose some of it's energy...

Can't wait to see it, hewey! Is it 1-Shot too?

H

On 2007-09-12 21:52, Sam Gambino wrote:
Can't wait to see it, hewey! Is it 1-Shot too?

Yep :D

H
harro posted on Thu, Sep 13, 2007 7:50 AM

what's 1-shot???

Good to see ya keeping busy Hewey!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Sep 13, 2007 8:29 PM

On 2007-09-13 07:50, harro wrote:
what's 1-shot???

Good to see ya keeping busy Hewey!

1 Shot is a signwriting paint, and is the paint of choice for the majority of pinstripers too.

H

Rat Fink!

Finally got around to painting a Fink :D Could be improved, but overall happy for a first attempt. You can't quite make it out in the pic, but the frame is brushed aluminium look.

oh, and this is where I painted it, yep thats an inch of water under the table :roll: :evil:

H
hewey posted on Wed, Feb 25, 2009 3:03 AM

Hmmmm, been a while since I slung some paint! Moved house since then, and a lot of other changes in my life... hmmmmmmm...... anyway, things are pretty damn awesome overall now :D :D

Here's a tiki painting I did for my girl for Valentines Day. She's into tiki, her fave colour is green, and she loves leopard print :D Acrylic on canvas.

F

Hi
The Tangaroan couple greet me every morning on the stairs. Cool work.
Regards
Flynny

YAY!
Hewey,that new one is pretty cool!
Nice lighting and a cool face on that bloke!
Bet the girly was stoked!
Hopefully you'll take a stab at a few more..
a series of these would be RAD!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Feb 25, 2009 6:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Flynny, awesome to hear the Tangaroan couple being enjoyed :D :D

Ive also been playing with my photography, had a go at some tiki theme pin up pictures :D
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31451&forum=1&3

RH

I like the Tangaroan couple, especially the style of brushwork - I think you got just the right results. Knock 'em dead with your new one, hewey!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 5, 2009 2:27 AM

Thanks Robb!

Here's my latest painting, just kinda evolved from a random skull I had no idea what to do with :P I'll be offering it for sale, no idea how much yet, but the money will go towards the Oz-E-Rodders charity fund (my car club's fund which we'll donate to a charity).

"Welcome to hell. May I take your bags sir?" Acrylic on canvas

I got up to this stage and it sat for a while, while I mulled it over :shock:

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ Edited by: hewey 2009-03-05 02:36 ]

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 7, 2009 8:05 PM

The bellboy painting sold same day I posted it on the hot rod forums, a nice donation is being made to charity to pay for it :D :D :D

Latest painting, "Deuce roadster at sunset", again acrylic on canvas:

For sale if any of you guys into rods like :wink:

Working on another tiki painting too, got the background done, pics to come :D

RH

Congrats on the sales!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 12, 2009 5:13 PM

Thanks Rob! It was only the one sale on the zombie, and the $$$ went to charity. Still have to sell one for meeeee!

Here's a tiki painting in progress:

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 4, 2009 12:30 AM

hewey blows cobwebs off this thread hewey coughs from the dust :lol:

This was my piece for the PNG tiki art swap. The grass skirt is a genuine PNG grass skirt my nan brought back when she served in the RAAF when she was young. The carving was picked up at a thrift store. Took some photos and got em printed and this is the result :D

The project I have been working on this weekend is this hot rod decoupage. Sure its not tiki related, but the same process would work just as well for tiki art!

Laid out ready to start. The B&W pics came from an old 90s street rodder mag, the big colour pic is one of mine that I got printed at the local office supplies place.

Acrylic glue from the craft store - dries clear

Started adding pics

Using a foam brush, give the base a coat of glue

Align the picture

Go back over it with more glue

Thats it for the background. The centre image will cover the rest.

After it the glue had dried I 'dry brushed' it with some brown/red acrylic which is a very similar hue to red primer - perfect!

Some detail shots to get an idea of how it looks. Its kinda rough, but it'll help tone back the background, and helps with that vintage kinda vibe.

And then once the paint was dried I added the last picture, and gave the whole shebang another coat of glue.

Now I just gotta bury the whole thing in clear :D Also today I picked up a canvas so I can start my new art swap piece :D

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 13, 2010 4:51 PM

Shrunken head Elvis

[ Edited by: hewey 2010-03-13 17:00 ]

C

Hi Hewey glad to see you around again with a lot of cool stuff on the works! cheers

Hey Clarita took the best word for your work, COOL! The skirt backdrop and black and white cars are perfect. Looks really terrific. Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 265 replies