Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hewey's stuff - new stuff 4 Oct page 18

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 265 replies

Glad you're still around, Hew, and sort of got what I was getting at. Don't stop the music, as (Peaches and Herb, I think?) said..

That many shots usually has a different effect on me. :)

Nine three ouncers spells fire down below...

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 16, 2005 4:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback people. Yeh, Im still gonna hang around and be a pain :)

Im glad I can help people feel a little better, even if it is just a little.

Nice wagon :)

B

Thanks Hewey, the Depressed tiki Did come at the right time..
Sooo I see you And Kahakai Kane Both went to the Mai Kai without telling.. Hmmmm?

Nice levity. Its the lower the lows, the higher highs. I fell that eveyone will spark of of this fire storm. I know I will and I think you will do the same. Keep the fire burning the sketch pad busy. Thanks for posting and the encouraging word.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 21, 2005 4:26 AM

My first entry for the mug competition. A human figure in a grass skirt and masquean inspired mask, holding their tiki mug (shecky perhaps?) close. Shirt could be a bowling style shirt, traditional hibiscus pattern Hawaiian shirt, or my fave, the TC background Hawaiian shirt. The mask could be given a stone or wood style effect. The side shot needs more depth to it, but thats my crappy quick sketch.

H
hmc posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 5:12 PM

Woah! You certainly have done a lot of Tiki art Hewey. Thanks for sharing!

I also checked out your carvings post... well done. I'm about to start my first hebel concrete carving and I take on board your comment about the dust!

P

Hey Hewey! Thanks for helping meout back there. Anyways I was just recently looking at your pastels and i think i know a medium you may enjoy. Ever played around with charcoal? Try making a tiki with charcoal. Another fun idea is to rub the charcoal over the ENTIRE paper, and then go back with an eraser and literally draw with it. I've done it 2 times and both i like. You can check em out here: http://andyartist.deviantart.com/
Anyways, i'm now an avid watcher of your artwork. Keep it up, man!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 23, 2006 6:03 PM

Finally a new piece! Done in Pastels, A3 in size.

hm...interesting concept you got there. That'd be a really awesome design on the hood of a car. sweetness.

F
foamy posted on Fri, Mar 24, 2006 5:23 AM

So, Hewey, when ya getting some pin-striping brushes and some One-Shot?

H

On 2006-03-24 05:23, foamy wrote:

When i buy some, hopefully next week... Thats why today was my last day at my 2nd job :)

B

Hewey, you are doing more really cool stuff. I Think your hot-rod is showing through, I Likee

H
Helz posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 5:45 AM

I have to agree, I really dig the pin striping. Can't wait to see in done with brushes!

Good job hewey

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 5:15 PM

Another one I just finished. This one is for tikiwahine (my apologies TW for being so damn slow!). She requested something that had a volcano in it. This is what I came up with.

I decided a vintage look would be really cool. I would suggest framing with colored board or paper as a background for contrast. Like black, TC green or whatever. I will not put in on a background, so that TW can tailor it to suit her decor where she puts it. The size is just under A4, so finding a frame should be relatively simple (if it is to be framed).

I sketched it out in pencil, then once I was happy with it I sketched it out in ink. Then I lightly colored with pencils. I then tore small srtips off the edges for a rough look. I then roasted it in the griller at full heat. Finally I went over the whole design in ink again to give more definition to the piece. Labour intensive, but gives the final artwork a depth to it a plain sketch just doesnt have. I am considering a step by step with photos, but I have a few other things I need to get done first.

Hope you like it TW!

K
kirby posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 5:27 PM

I love this one hewey... one of my new faves.....

Great picture Hewey, it really does have a lot of depth. Your pinstripe tiki looks cool too, the flames are real solid. More!

wow, i like the vintage look you gave it, hewster. Nice one! Hope TW likes it.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 7:05 PM

Hewey,

Way to go. I can appreciate all the effort you put in to make the piece look vintage. I believe you met your goal. Very nice piece. Thanks for posting.

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Sun, Apr 2, 2006 3:38 PM

On 2006-03-24 22:24, hewey wrote:

On 2006-03-24 05:23, foamy wrote:

When i buy some, hopefully next week... Thats why today was my last day at my 2nd job :)

Well, on the weekend I bought $200 worth of carving gear and spent $160 on pinstriping supplies! Can't wait to have some fun :)

R

Cant wait too see what you come up with Hewey. With a tonne of practice I can now pull a fairly straight and even line with the one shot.

Look for pinstripe masters, a great book. And also check out the how to stripe archives over on Sketch kult. Very cool art and artist's there.

Now get to work!!!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Apr 2, 2006 7:50 PM

Cant wait too see what you come up with Hewey. With a tonne of practice I can now pull a fairly straight and even line with the one shot.

So where are your pics man?

Look for pinstripe masters, a great book.

haha already got it- great book.

And also check out the how to stripe archives over on Sketch kult. Very cool art and artist's there.

I will

Now get to work!!!

Okay okay! I owe Gman a shirt first! I dont want to make him mad - have you seen his prowess with a chainsaw? I dont want to end up in his carving thread...

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-04-02 19:51 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 4, 2006 12:59 AM

Here are my first stripes on someone elses car. Ive only been striping a few weeks in total. I hadn't been at it for a couple of weeks as I was working on getting the wagon back on the road.

The chev is rough up close, so the owner wasnt too concerned if it wasn't perfect.

This was the basic rough out of what I wanted to stripe:

The grey was pre-sketched with a pencil, then the rest of the striping was done freehand.

started getting right into it.... (caddy bullets make great rag holders :lol: )

Final rear shot (excuse the mark out lines as they've yet to be cleaned up)

and then before ya knew it, the front was done too!

The hibiscus at the sides ties the front and back together visually. The crap (dark green) on the front was the remains of an old sticker that didnt come fully off, so I had to incorporate that into the design a little, too to cover it.

C & C welcome. You can see the symmetry is a little off, line consistency isnt 100%, and some of my joins arent 100% either. I also need to work on palleting my brush to get the consistency right. Just need more practice, practice, practice...

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Jun 4, 2006 3:39 PM

I bought a brush over a year ago and have yet to put paint to it. It looks to be hard to come up with a design. One of these days.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 4, 2006 7:53 PM

On 2006-06-04 15:39, teaKEY wrote:
I bought a brush over a year ago and have yet to put paint to it. It looks to be hard to come up with a design. One of these days.

Mate get into it! The designs aren't too hard, its getting the lines down nicely that is the challenge. If you need. you can sketch out the desing first and the just copy it.

It aint always going to be easy (especially at the start) but its great being able to create art out of nothing that someone loves.

K
kirby posted on Sun, Jun 4, 2006 8:16 PM

Dude hewey The design and layout are awsome. I think a couple more and youve got yourself a new carreer...

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 4, 2006 11:39 PM

On 2006-06-04 20:16, kirby wrote:
Dude hewey The design and layout are awsome. I think a couple more and youve got yourself a new carreer...

Thanks man!

New career? I love the job I'm in at the moment.

But, looking at launching a "hobby business" very soon. Pinstriping is only one element of that :) Definitely some kool tiki stuff planned too. Now if only I could find more time...

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-06-04 23:45 ]

F
foamy posted on Mon, Jun 5, 2006 5:25 AM

Hey Hewey, that's a nice go for your first time out. It's great that you found some painted metal to work on (love those old Impalas). Perfect symmetry is hard to achieve, is it not? Keep plug'in. Looking forward to seeing some more.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jun 5, 2006 8:25 PM

On 2006-06-05 05:25, foamy wrote:
Perfect symmetry is hard to achieve, is it not? Keep plug'in. Looking forward to seeing some more.

Thanks man.

Symmetry is hard. Some folks sketch out a grid to stripe over, or even sketch out the entire stripe. I want to develop my skills without these so I can do symmetrical designs with no marking out. Sure, it's harder to nail, but ultimately it will make me a better striper. (Well, thats the plan anyways... haha)

Hey hewey- I wish I could've done that well after just a couple of weeks. I like the designs too. Keep it up.... you're doing fine!

Hey Hewey - you know how much I love pinstriping - its a big part of the lowbrow art culture - keep it up - you will get better and better. Nice to see you doing something that you love doing. Too bad you cant get up to wintersun - there will be plenty of cars to practice on there! keep practicing and maybe you can get there next year and make some dosh! A lotta the guys do up hub caps and mail boxes and sell them.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jun 6, 2006 4:57 PM

Thanks for the comps!

Sam - coming from you, that means a lot! Thanks man

Marcus - By the time Wintersun rolls around next year I hope to be good enough to get into striping in a much more professional capacity. Same with my art and carving too. And I'll have a wagon to fill up with goodies to sell :)

It takes cahones to do that. Nice stuff.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 8, 2006 7:05 PM

Heres my latest pinstriped flying eyeball. Not tiki, but I plan on doing some tiki themed pieces in the same way.

The eyeball is painted on the front of the glass, the stripes on da back. Yep, Im leaving the backing out of it as I reckon the glass in the frame looks cool.

Whaddya reckon?

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 8, 2006 7:57 PM

I forgot to say that is the 1st flying eyeball I have ever painted, and the 1st time Ive used one shot for a painting (as opposed to striping).

Heres a btter pic:

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-06-08 20:19 ]

K
kirby posted on Thu, Jun 8, 2006 9:30 PM

right on .. I want one but with a tiki in it...

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 8, 2006 10:53 PM

On 2006-06-08 21:30, kirby wrote:
right on .. I want one but with a tiki in it...

Yep, Ive got some planned. Ive already had a PM from one member about one.

T

man....if that's the first one you painted, you need to be doing more! that's pretty good for a 1st one and you can only get better. glad to hear you'll be doing some tikis soon. i'm looking foward to seeing how they come out.

hewey I think you've found a calling, I love your striping jobs! I can't wait too see more, keep 'em coming!!
Are you going to stripe up 'Kustom Kahoona'?

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-06-09 10:53 ]

F

Very, very cool Hewey! I like the frame without the board behind it too. :)

H

Did a pastel piece today. Hopefully post it over the next few days.

The wagon will get some striping one day. Im real picky with what I want on there, so its not gonna happen for a while. Might stripe the windows cause theyre easy to scrape off.

My next piece is gonna be a cross between the Coop Devil and a Flying Eyeball :) Done in the same style as this flying eyeball. Ive also got an aged "surf tiki" piece planned too.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 11, 2006 6:55 PM

My latest pastel piece. I scanned it in a flatbed scanner so it looks aweful compared to the real thing :( The real thing has a nice aqua background, and the insides of the tiki bits are a smidge darker than sky blue. Even the quality of it looks poor compared to the real thing. Unfortuneately the digi camera is at work. I might get some decent shots before I send this one on its way.

Next up is a surf tiki :)

K

Your pastels on dark paper give the tikis an otherworldly glow. All triangles & pointy lines on this one - looks good.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 22, 2006 6:50 AM

My latest piece. For the surf tiki creating theme

That last one is rad! I'm a sucker for that pallette-gives it an old-time vibe! Have you tried pastels(or colored pencils-crayons) on sandpaper?fine tooth to medium-the texture and effects you can get are pretty cool!Keep creating! So much cool work in this post!

K

Hewey
for the one shot i suggest using a really thick brush (one that you can load up with a LOT of paint=stroke potential) just like the one you did the actual pinstriping with - the small and thin linework doesn't come off as being as well thought out because of it's lack of graphic integrity - there are only 2 kinds of expression in painting or drawing - line and tone - make sure that every touch of the brush to canvas defines itself as one or the other and reads clearly - anything else is noodling and that won't serve your design's cause
great work man!
Miles

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 265 replies