Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hewey's stuff - new stuff 4 Oct page 18

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 265 replies

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 3, 2005 9:33 PM

Sideshow - you make me want to try some watercolor stuff. I got some somewhere, I might give it a go.

I also plan on doing some stencil art (graffiti/street art style, using spray paint and hand cut stencils). Should be different :).

Then I got that piece I'm doin for Kirby (aussie tiki), and some hot rod tiki stuff for the creating tiki monthly theme, and...

H
hewey posted on Tue, Aug 9, 2005 10:11 PM

This one is for Kirby. He wanted an Aussie tiki, and dug my BoT inspired tiki, so I chucked the ideas together and this is what popped out. Well, it wasn't quite that easy. Had a few attempts as my first ideas wouldn't work for me. Gonna swap for something he has in the works for me.

Nice work Hewey . Cant wait to see more.

T

I like him. I'm goin to have to use the idea of black paper in the future. We have a bridge in my town and it almost looks like that.

T

Forgot to add that your Easter island head look to have only one eye. Its a very different design.

Nice work, Hewey... man, Jessica's steamin' in your sketch!

What a cool vibe - the painting and the trade with Kirby (who does great work also). Dig your style, hewey - art and everything else that counts.

A-A

H

The 'one eyed' thing happened by accident. Its supposed to be the eyebrow overhanging the eyes, but it worked so I didnt mess with it.

Thanks AA - I take that as a big compliment from you

K

chimin in...Looks sweet hewey...Im still workin on yours and will halla when its done...keep it up dude...kirby

H
hewey posted on Sun, Aug 14, 2005 6:43 PM

Here are the latest cabs off the rank:

For the hot rod tiki thread. I want to do something else maybe, but this will do for now. I tried to a stencil piece but it wasnt working for me.

A ghostly tiki. Not happy with it completely (the images is a little plain, I feel there needs to be more details in the sky?), but I still like the concept of having a see-through tiki. Might try and add some clouds. Might just try another.

A drink. Nothing in particular, jus an orange drink. Could be better, but I just did this off the tops of my head, with no reference to anything, so I did okay.

Cool stuff, hewey. I like that dark pastel tiki too!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Aug 15, 2005 6:33 PM

A betty boop record I sprayed up for my girl. Using handcut stencils and spraycans. An old one. Not tiki, but cool. I have some scratched records that might get a tiki touch.

Stencil of my Finkdaddy pendant. I blew it up to A4, and cut up the stencil from there. This is on the side of garbage bin under my desk. The overspray is cause its just a quicky job, and didnt hold the stencil down fully.

The other side of the bin.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 31, 2005 5:46 PM

My 1st watercolour pieces! This 1st one was done for the hot rod thread. I wasnt completely happy with the sketch as my only entry.

And this is something I sketched out at my girls place whilst watching TV. I had to commit it to full colour. Its A4 in size.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Aug 31, 2005 5:52 PM

Sweet hewey,Now that tha art show is behind me I get back to your painting...Unga bunga

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 5, 2005 6:39 AM

Next piece is gonna be for "project heart" (for victims of Katrina). Maybe not tiki, but Aussie influence.

And I got a cool concept for a piece unlike any Ive tried so far. Inspired by "The Lingerer" by Sam Gambino, Shag etc. A proper piece of 'art'. Should be tops.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 5, 2005 6:42 AM

ARRRRRRRGGG! Matey!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Sep 17, 2005 4:52 AM

Self-portrait for the monthly creating thread. Havent got the time to piece together a proper piece.

Resplendant in my Mooneyes garage shirt, jeans, and cons, Im holding my creating tiki tools of a chissel and a paintbrush. My wagon complete with boards hangin out the rear window is waiting in the wings. Hewey - Urban archeologist, artist, gentleman.

K
kirby posted on Sun, Sep 18, 2005 6:23 PM

what a good lookin chap...

pretty suave lookin', don'tcha think? :)

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 18, 2005 9:57 PM

Good lookin, sauve...?

Okay, that picture mustnt be real accurate. Hey, I took some artistic license! :)

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 7:57 AM

One of my goals is to get a mug of my design made.

I reckon that pirate I did earlier might just make a good mug. Heres my concept sketches. What do people reckon? Im not sure about the back, was just an idea.

looks like you've got a winner... i love pirates!

K
kirby posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 4:03 PM

lookin good hewey...

H

Well, I ve just past 1000 posts and a year on TC within the space of the last few weeks (so now im doing the refelctive thing).

Thanks for all the support and feedback over the weeks. Its meant a lot to me. Man there are some awesome 'creators' here, im blown away that you give me such good feedback all the time.

Well, i gotta lot of work too do, so im gonna bail. I got lottsa plans for the future, so expect even more from me next year when I dont have to worry about this bloody study Im doin at the moment.

Man, this is only the beginning...

B

I Love the Pirate Mug. Can we find real treasure from the map on back?

Hewey, great stuff. I'm dig'n the map on the pirate mug idea and the hot rod tiki is cool.

Nice work Hewey. It's cool that you are experimenting with all sorts of mediums.

Hi hewey i love the pirate mug great work.

H

The pirate mug is not to be. The design is not suitable for mass mug production. I had planned a 'treasure' of gold bullion to be at the bottom of the mug, ie its buried under the drink. The bottom of the bandanna would have the pirate 'X' marking where the treasure lay hidden. Like a hidden clue.

Here is my latest painting. Frankentiki (im sure thats original :) ). It originally was supposed to have bits of the major tiki styles (Easter island, Hawaiian, NZ etc), but that didnt happen. Obviously its still a work in progress on the good doctors bench.

W

WIPs are some of my favorite thing to see I love seeing how each artist mind works, and how the work!

T

Original, I did a frankentiki mug, when I was seven. Also most twenty years ago.

F
foamy posted on Thu, Oct 20, 2005 1:13 PM

uh, Hewey, I just posted that "wicked" was warped. So are you my friend. Keep it up!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 21, 2005 2:06 AM

Im not sure that my mind functions normally, but I somehow manage to perform basic tasks for myself, so something must be working upstairs. Ill take warped as a compliment :) (hey, Ill take a compliment anyway I can get it :) ).

Now, back to the lab for me...

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 21, 2005 5:07 AM

6 of my pieces are being auctioned for the American Stroke Association (auction ran by Crazy Al). Once these are gone, they're gone, they're one offs. Support charity at the same time. Details here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16957&forum=4&5

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 26, 2005 5:26 PM

My latest. Just a quicky to mess around with acrylics. Very basic. I might chuck it in the oven and give her a 'vintage' look, make it look like an old menu or something. Feedback welcomed.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 27, 2005 4:02 PM

Way to go Hewey! I would stop there for a drink anytime. I like the A-frame entrance. If you "age" it, let us see how it comes out.

-G

K
kirby posted on Sun, Nov 6, 2005 11:32 PM

yeeha...I just picked up 3 original hewey pastels at the auction and i love them , they will be some of my most prized tiki art in my collection. thanx hewey....

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2005 3:40 AM

Congrats Kirby. Thank C' Al though, he put the effort into conducting the charity auction. I just posted over some art that I had left over and lyin around.

F
foamy posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2005 9:06 AM

Nice Hewey! Get down and get back up again!

W
wicked posted on Tue, Nov 8, 2005 6:55 AM

Ilike the way your trees swing up, like they're dancing!

Nice Hewey, I like the oven idea, do'nt leave it too long.

C

Hey Hewey, that last one makes me want to go inside for a cocktail and a nap. Very cool. Thanks for postin'

Chongolio

" I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain
http://www.Lost-Isle.com
http://www.piggod.com

[ Edited by: chongolio 2005-11-09 17:11 ]

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 9, 2005 4:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I have started on my next piece "Whens Happy Hour Start Again?". A tiki sitting at a bar. Hopefully be done next coupla weeks.

I

Hi Hewey. The Hawaiian phrase for happy hour is "pau hana" hope you can use it. Terri

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 14, 2005 9:03 PM

One depress ol tiki. Kinda funny how it is somewhat appropriate given what has just happened. This ones for my mates who are a bit down - I hope you guys get back into it soon!

K
kirby posted on Mon, Nov 14, 2005 9:37 PM

Leave it to hewey, to lighten the mood, even with a depressed tiki..

T

thanks Hewey.

The more I thought about things, the madder I got just before bed. My views will probably come up again but after seeing this, Its nice to see a tiki going through the same thing. I don't think that I have even seen another heavy drinking depressed tiki.

Hey Hewey - your depressed tiki shows exactly how I've been feeling for the last two weeks. My wahine has been in California visiting family and I miss her bad. And it's true, your painting actually helped feel a little better. I guess misery does love company...
And I hope you don't mind, as a little thank you, I did a little work on your car (I really love wagons) and parked it in front of the Mai Kai for you.

Love your work brah!
-KK

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 265 replies