Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The World of Nummy, Nummy Liqueurs

Pages: 1 19 replies

H

I love sipping liqueurs. I wish more of them were available in airliner-bottle form so I could sample more. There are so many out there, I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of experimenting with them, but boy it'd cost an arm and a leg to buy all the ones I'd like to try.

Here are some of my thoughts, I'd love to hear more:

Sambuca - Sweet, anise flavor in a clear liqueur. I've only tried the standard Romana Sambuca, but I love it lots. I like it at room temperature. Tradition (though I've always imagined it to be "tradition" in the Hallmark Cards vein of tradition) calls for three coffee beans to be floated in it, and if you can get the little buggers to stick to the side you'll be lucky in love. I've had a rough time getting them to stick, and have done damned fine in the love department anyhow, so take that as you will. Regardless, it's tasty. Anyone tried the other sambucas? I'd love to hear if another brand is a bit better.

Whidbey Loganberry - Sweet dark red/purple liquid with a strong loganberry flavor. (Think blackcurrant.) This liqueur is produced on Whidbey Island, not far from Seattle, and is really yummy. It comes in far too large a bottle, but is worth picking up. Yum.

Amaretto - Golden sweet, not-quite-bitter almond-cherry flavored liquid. I'm a sucker for DiSaronno. Again, if anyone knows of another brand that is better, I'm all ears.

Luxardo - Clear, bitter flavor, doesn't taste quite like cherries. Luxardo makes a number of liqueurs, and I'm curious about all of them, but the one I've tried (and loved) is this marachino cherry liqueur. Made from the pits, it's on the bitter side and not for everyone, but I'm a solid fan. It's a great flavor, I'd like to try mixing with it sometime, too.

Velvet Falernum - Clear (maybe tending toward pale amber) liquid. Light, sweetish liquid, tastes of rum, lime & mostly clove, without being as cloyingly sweet as other falernums. Yes, our favorite bit of controversy also makes a tasty sipping liqueur, and that's in fact my favorite way to enjoy it. It's lighter than a typical liqueur, but damn if it ain't yumtacular.

Limoncello - Bold bright yellow liquid. Lemon flavored, with an obvious alcohol presence, tart but still sweet with a bitter aftertaste. This is a new one for me, just picked up Gioia Luisa brand. The alcohol tastes a bit harsh, but the flavor is nice. My mom makes a lemon sauce out of the Betty Crocker cookbook for rice pudding that tastes just like this (minus the alcohol). A bit harsh straight, but it would be good on dessert.

Creme de Cassis - Sweet, strong blackcurrant taste in a very dark red (almost black) liqueur. The brand I've got is Edmond Briottet, and its' beyond delicious. I lurve blackcurrant. This liqueur is very, very yummy, a strong sweet flavor, like syrup.

Bonny Doon Framboise - Red liquid. It's marketed as a wine and not a liqueur, but it's the most delicious stuff -- tastes just like fresh raspberries. Yum. Not too terribly syrupy.

Cynar - Artichoke liqueur. Sounds like a good idea when you're a few drinks into hte night, but really it isn't. Not my cup of tea at least. Maybe I need pointers on how to enjoy it.

I'd love to hear what's good & not-so-good from others!

H

On 2005-06-08 23:54, Humuhumu wrote:
Luxardo - ... marachino cherry liqueur. .. I'd like to try mixing with it sometime, too.

You absolutely must mix up a Gone The Beachcomber (Grog Log pg 38). It's a modified version of a Demerara Dry Float and it is a perfect use for Luxardo Maraschino liqueur. This is one of my favorite drinks in the Grog Log. Have one this morning!

The ONLY Sambucca worth having is Molinari. It is thicker and sweeter, and much much nicer.

When I was on Oahu one of the restaurants wouldn't serve the coffee beans in the drink because one of their patons had choked on them not realsing they were in there!! They now supply them on a saucer next to the drink, so you can add them at your own risk!

J

Luxardo - ... maraschino cherry liqueur. .. I'd like to try mixing with it sometime, too.

Or an Aviation Cocktail. It's a great, albeit non-Tiki, drink!

Well, in the vanilla category alone I recommend these two:

Tuaca – Dark amber liquid. This liqueur from Italy has a rather mild and slightly sweet vanilla & citrus flavor. I’ve been sipping this warm and cold since the mid-80s.

Licor 43 – Light amber in color. This Spanish liqueur is a blend of vanilla and herbs and seems to have slightly more of a bite or alcohol taste than Tuaca. This was introduced to me about 3 years ago and is now a favorite of mine in espresso over anisette or sambuca. It has also become quite popular in mixed drinks.

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair

[ Edited by: JerseyRED on 2005-06-09 07:28 ]

N

On 2005-06-08 23:54, Humuhumu wrote:
Limoncello - Bold bright yellow liquid. Lemon flavored, with an obvious alcohol presence, tart but still sweet with a bitter aftertaste. This is a new one for me, just picked up Gioia Luisa brand. The alcohol tastes a bit harsh, but the flavor is nice. My mom makes a lemon sauce out of the Betty Crocker cookbook for rice pudding that tastes just like this (minus the alcohol). A bit harsh straight, but it would be good on dessert.

I'd love to hear what's good & not-so-good from others!

When I was in Italy last year, Lemoncello was EVERYWHERE! We spent a few nights in Rome, in an apartment overlooking the Trevi Fountain. Ther was a little market right next door that had a bunch of interesting liquors--including lots of Lemoncello in all kinds of cool bottles. We bought one that looked like something out of a mad scientist's lab, and had a little each night. I think I learned that it's sort of a cottage industry--people make their own and sell at the corner store. I think it's vodka based, which accounts for the harshness.

Scott

Goldschlager! With the real gold flakes floating in it. You'll poop sparkles!

Hi Humu
Here's a start for you., It's in England though. I don't know the overseas regulations for alcohol. At least it looks like a good reference.

B

Humu, I am surpised no on has mentioned TV's Macadamia Nut Liqueur. It is as tasty as sipping rum.

J

Someone went to the Caribbean, I think it was my in-laws, and brought back a bottle of stuff called "Chococo" It's a combination of chocolate, coconut and rum and is super sippable! Kinda reminds me of a Mounds bar but with the nice warming bite of rum.

Another vote for Tuaca. I have to be in the mood - but - Tuaca over/or with good vanilla ice cream is a taste treat not to be missed!

I live in Washington, and I have sad news. Whidbey loganberry liqueur is gone. I liked it, too. If anyone can find some, grab it.

I love many already posted. Tuaca, Limoncello (any brand - can you believe Danny DeVito is marketing one now?) Bonny Doon Framboise, Luxardo Maraschino, etc. Cynar is best with a twist of lemon. Put a shot of Creme de Cassis in your champagne, and you're in for a treat, this is a "Kir Royale". Chambord, a French black raspberry liqueur, is an acceptable sub if you don't have Creme de Cassis, which is better. Opal Nera is BLACK Sambuca, actually very dark purple but it will turn mixed drinks black. Sambuca of most any brand - I use Romana - is excellent "con mosca" (with flies - three floating coffee beans representing health, wealth and happiness). Pour a shot in a thick shot glass, float the beans, then ignite. Let burn for about ten seconds, blow or slap out, drink, and chew the beans. Delicious - the flame warms the surface, toasts the beans slightly, and adds an almost carmelized sweetness to the surface too.

I love liqueurs with cool colors:
Blue: Blue Curacao
Purple: Parfait Amour (orange/vanilla) or Creme de Violette (violets)
Red: Creme de Noyeaux (almond)
Black: Opal Nera Sambuca
Golden: Liquore Strega (herbal)
Clear with gold flakes: Goldshlager (hot cinnamon) or Goldwasser (herbal)
You can do some interesting layered Pousse Cafes with these, a narrow conical cordial glass, a tiny bar spoon and some patience.

I've posted these in other threads lately, but I'll mention my favorites, as I'm absolutely hooked on unusual liqueurs, the sort one can drink straight as a cordial.

-Barenjager - German honey liqueur. Delicious stuff. You can mix with this, too - Barenjager plus Midori and sweet'n sour makes a "Honeydew Me", invented at a local bar.
-Damiana - Sweet stuff from South America, with a "pregnant earth goddess" bottle and honey and smoke flavors.
-Agavero - Damiana, honey plus Reposado and Anejo tequila and agave. Delicious if you love that smoky agave taste.
-Creme de Violette, by Rothman & Winter - Made of violets, a bright royal purple, delicious straight at room temperature.
-St. Germain, aka "magic in a bottle" - Elderflower liqueur, sweet with a slight tang that I'm told is citrus. Haven't met a fellow yet who didn't love this at first sip - it's the first thing I whip out at parties.

I really must try that Velvet Falernum...

Averna is one of my favourites after food
Benedictine
Creme de mure, try washing a martini glass with it before pouring a Daiquiri, delicious
Harruba, a maltese liqeur made from carob and orange
Prickly pear liqueur, I think prickly pears are a widely misunderstood fruit, but they work great in fruit punches.

T

Oooh, where do I get in line for prickly pear liqueur? Any time I'm in Arizona or New Mexico I buy prickly pear jelly candy, and the syrup too. Love that stuff.

A

As I recall, prickly pear liqueur is made commercially in Malta. But I suppose if you know how to make liqueurs you could make your own.

I have a taste on the bitter side with aperitifs like Campari as my all time favorite followed by Aperol and Ramazotti Amaro (and Amaro menta) which is a natural bitter liqueur made with a blend of roots, herbs, and orange peel. Then we also have Cynar and FernetBranca.

But i also have a sweet tooth and like Limoncello a lot as well.

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-04-29 15:07 ]

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-04-29 15:07 ]

P

There is a Prickly Pear liqueuer? I love prickly pears. They have a very unique taste and I have had margaritas made with them. They also make a great sauce. I once made bbq chicken marineted in lime and tequila and served with prickly pear sauce. Declicious! The sauce is kind of hard to find, though.

Has anyone ever noticed that Parfait Amour (specifically the Marie Brizzard) picks up a funny soapy flavor after it has been opened for a while? There are only a couple of drinks I make with parfait amour and lately they have been tasting like I didn't rinse out the glass. That happens only with the drinks that use the parfait amour, so I am guessing that is it. I never noticed that with the freshly opened bottle.

You can make your own Prickly pear sauce like this:

2 1/2 pounds (about 16) fresh prickly pears
1/3 cup sugar, plus a little more if needed
About 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, if needed
About 1 tablespoon orange liqueur

The puree is very watery, like watermelon juice, so in order to give the sauce some body but not take away all the fruit's freshness, rapidly boil down part of the puree with sugar, then cool it and add the remaining uncooked puree.

Servings: Makes about 2 cups.

Cut a 1/2-inch slice off both ends of the prickly pears, then make a 1/2-inch deep incision down the side of each one. Carefully (remember there are little stickers) peel off the rind, starting from your incision: The rind is thick, and, if the fruit is ripe, will peel easily away from the central core. Roughly chop the peeled prickly pears, puree in a food processor or blender, then press through a fine strainer into a bowl. There should be about 3 cups.

In a medium-size (2- to 3-quart) saucepan, combine 2 cups of the puree with 1/3 cup sugar, and simmer rapidly over medium to medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until reduce to 1 cup. Cool.

Combine the cooked mixture with the remaining1 cup of uncooked puree in a small bowl. Taste and season with lime juice, orange liqueur and additional sugar if needed.

Advance Preparation:
Covered and refrigerated, the sauce will keep about a week. The finished sauce (as well as the prickly-pear pulp) also can be frozen.

Forgot this, a source for some prickly pear products as well as many other interesting things:

http://www.nativeseeds.org/v2/search.php?cp=1

On 2008-04-29 08:58, arriano wrote:
As I recall, prickly pear liqueur is made commercially in Malta. But I suppose if you know how to make liqueurs you could make your own.

you recall right, it is made in Malta, my paents live there and bring me over all of the strange local brews

I just bought some prickly pear liqueur back from Calabria, Italy. Mmmm...
And so many different amari/digestifs to try there - I liked the Amaro Vecchio del Capo but also there was bergamot, licorice and others...

Pages: 1 19 replies