Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

AlienTIKI Traditional, Midcentury Polypop and a couple marqs

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 268 replies

A

Okay here's a rendering I did of a tiki I carved. I took some photos but The film is at the lab and I was anxious to show it so I scribbled this down.

I'll post the photos soon as I get'em

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2008-11-22 11:09 ]

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2010-10-11 20:57 ]

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2010-10-12 11:33 ]

Nice ink work. Did the carving turn out as good?

A

I like to think so, I had a hard time with the flames. Very time consuming.
I hope to get the pics back on monday.

Mahalo E

Well a friend came by with one of them new spangled cell phones with a camara on it. I stoped using cells with my exit from corporate America 2 years ago. I hope I never need to be so connected.

And well we took these grainy ass pics.

The wood Im unsure of. Someone told me it was an African tulip It grows all over the place here on Maui and is fairly light, like pine but a little harder. Any ways it had a bug problem and they clopped it down near my house. He stands about 14.5 inches and is 3.5 diameter at the bottom. I have 4 other nice pieces of wood from this tree and a piece of monkey pod I have yet to cut into so I'll have more on the way. The stain was a lite oak stain, I applied 2 coats.

I'll post some better pics latter. I'm working on a bigger one right now.

B

Grainy pictures are better than No pictures and this tiki looks pretty darn great. Nice to see the work. Can't wait for more..

Nice work alien, I did a carving that had flames going up the back side. Cant wait to see more.

Cool! This guy looks MEAN! Let's see lots more of this.
more, more, more!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 11, 2005 4:58 PM

Cool carving dude - theres something about flames thats sends us nuts - nice. can't wait to see some good pics, but as benzart said, these are better than none

the carving is cool, but the line drawing was a-okay, too! looks like it might make a great animation cell - one of many!

T

I got to say that it reminds me of an evil bart simpson. Its the eyes.

great work.carv carv carv!

On 2005-07-11 19:36, alohabros wrote:
the carving is cool, but the line drawing was a-okay, too! looks like it might make a great animation cell - one of many!

Thanks for all the possitive feed back. The line drawing I did after the carving but it may be a way for me to develope the concept before the carving.

Its allmost midnight And time to paint. I find in the wei hours of the morning is when I'm most productive. Too bad the neighbors won't let me bust out the chainsaw and chisles at night.

Many mahalos again to everyone for all the kind words.
Eric

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2005-07-12 03:17 ]

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jul 12, 2005 4:20 AM

I find when I am writing assignments for my study, my most productive/efficient hours are from 11:00pm to 1:00am. After that, it starts to go downhill... :)

That is so cool, with lots of character too! Great going Alien Tiki. Those flames are fine on him too.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-07-12 11:20 ]

On 2005-07-11 03:21, AlienTiki wrote:
The wood Im unsure of. Someone told me it was an African tulip It grows all over the place here on Maui and is fairly light, like pine but a little harder. Any ways it had a bug problem and they clopped it down near my house. He stands about 14.5 inches and is 3.5 diameter at the bottom. I have 4 other nice pieces of wood from this tree and a piece of monkey pod I have yet to cut into so I'll have more on the way. The stain was a lite oak stain, I applied 2 coats.

Did the tree's leaves & flowers look like this?

African Tulip Trees grow nicely throughout the tropics & here in San Diego, too.

AlienTiki, next time you see Mike the Sandalmaker in old Lahaina, tell him Joyce & Fred said "Hi!"

i dont want to be a "knowitall" but a couple of tips on the flames..make sure the "teardrops" in all the flames are the same size.you ever look at some flames and say "i dont like those flames for some reason"...thats usually it.skinny "necks"..long flowing"licks"..once you have the "flame formula" down..you are golden...my 2c.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.